Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apologies for the state of the site & forum - asking for all members to read

Apologies for the state of the site & forum - asking for all members to read

I need help, but I'm offering what I can exchange, like exclusives and more. Please read on for more details.

First off, I would like to apologize for the state of the site & forums for the past six months.
    As you can see, I have not been doing a good job getting news posted, or getting the forums brought up to speed with new sections, a working search engine, etc.

A number of things have contributed to that.
    For starters, Power-Con and the virtual experience we put together sucked away all my time for several months through August.
    After that, the following months were a jumbled mix of Power-Con order prep, numerous freelance assignments, a lot of things in my personal life that required immediate attention with family, a lot of work on (believe it or not) He-Man.Org updates, and planning for Power-Con 2021 (here's hoping for effective COVID-19 vaccinations).

I post most of the news on the main page and handle sending it through to social media.
    Once is gets there, there are fans who help monitor, moderate, and respond on the forums, social media, etc. But getting the info posted is the big hurdle. So if anyone here is up to the task to help post news, rumors, random fan creation contributions, and more to the main page, I could really use the help.
    In exchange for someone who is up to do daily posts (or multiple people if I can assemble a team who can stick it out for the long haul), I'll do what I can to pass along my thanks, such as free Power-Con exclusives, and access to other merch that I can get my hands on.

I have a big team of fans (thank you to all of you!) who are willing to help with the update of the entire site. I had hoped to have that in place by last summer, but COVID-19 did a number on my free time. You would think I'd have more time but it was the exact opposite. The new plan is to have the updates in place by this summer.

The new site will be MUCH easier for posting news and sharing it to social media. So I need some people who are up for mapping their way through this old format for the next six months.

I love that we have social media for easy access to info and images, but there aren't many sites like this one that keep an archive of news, updates, with galleries and past conversations. And I still believe in having sites where you can count on all the news and info you might have missed elsewhere online, and He-Man.Org should always be one of them.

Again, my apologies. I hope you'll understand and forgive why things have been behind lately, and I hope I can count on hope from a number of you.
    Thank you for your time!
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2021!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Hmm... this is one of those times in my life where I have the availability, but not any sort of website building skills.

Glad to hear new things are in the works though and that you're still working to keep this place operating as "home base" for all things MOTU.
    Looking for any specific Classics figures? Let me know via PM what you might be looking for and I'll look through some boxes and see if we can help each other out!

I have limited skills as well but tons of time as well, let me know if you still need help!

I can help with the site. This what I do for a day job at Disney anyways

Heroic master of drums DrumMaster's Avatar
    As I told you before, I am ready to help you as I can

Heroic Warrior
    God, I wish I had the skills you require. I'm an incredible proofreader and have an enormous amount of time, but the web skills? Not so much. I think I was more comfortable with MS-DOS... I've grown to love this site more and more over the years, and I hope you're able to find the assistance you need. (And if you do ever need a proofreader? I'll be there with bells on.)

Wordpress has made me lazy - but I do have some trivial coding skills (though probably severely outdated). I do have a ton of forum admin experience - so if there's anything I can do there (help with moderating, admin, etc) - whatever I can do to help.

We all appreciate what you do for our favorite franchise, Val. You keep the flame going. Also looking forward to the next podcast! (jk, I know you're busy)

I will help in anyway I can.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

I just wanted to add that posting news is fairly straightforward. There's no coding involved, and relatively basic steps.

Also, as Val said, when the upgrades to the site get put into place, posting news is going to be even easier.

I appreciate, and I know Val appreciates all of the offers to help. I just don't want anyone to feel like they want to help but are incapable. Don't sell yourself short!

Heroic Warrior
    Is the actual site itself as well as the message board going to get a full re-haul?

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    Is the actual site itself as well as the message board going to get a full re-haul?
    Everything. The current site is over ten years old so it is long past due.
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects

Court Magician

Reporting in!

Just wanted to add that I am more than happy to form part of a team for posting news, etc.

I have some web skills, but am happy to hear that news posting may not need them.

I'm on .org pretty much every day, but reading forum posts, even thought I don't post much.

In short, let me know what I can do to help!

Court Magician
    I am ready and willing to help. Think I finally cracked the nut as to posting news. Lol
    What I dont know I am willing to learn! I'm a frequent lurker on the boards multiple times a day although I don't post much. Hit me up with any way I can be of assistance! Would love to contribute to the premier He-man website!
    Actually been a member since 2000 under the name Snout Spout. Had to rejoin due to being unable to change my old e-mail.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    I need help, but I'm offering what I can exchange, like exclusives and more. Please read on for more details.

First off, I would like to apologize for the state of the site & forums for the past six months.
    As you can see, I have not been doing a good job getting news posted, or getting the forums brought up to speed with new sections, a working search engine, etc.

A number of things have contributed to that.
    For starters, Power-Con and the virtual experience we put together sucked away all my time for several months through August.
    After that, the following months were a jumbled mix of Power-Con order prep, numerous freelance assignments, a lot of things in my personal life that required immediate attention with family, a lot of work on (believe it or not) He-Man.Org updates, and planning for Power-Con 2021 (here's hoping for effective COVID-19 vaccinations).

I post most of the news on the main page and handle sending it through to social media.
    Once is gets there, there are fans who help monitor, moderate, and respond on the forums, social media, etc. But getting the info posted is the big hurdle. So if anyone here is up to the task to help post news, rumors, random fan creation contributions, and more to the main page, I could really use the help.
    In exchange for someone who is up to do daily posts (or multiple people if I can assemble a team who can stick it out for the long haul), I'll do what I can to pass along my thanks, such as free Power-Con exclusives, and access to other merch that I can get my hands on.

I have a big team of fans (thank you to all of you!) who are willing to help with the update of the entire site. I had hoped to have that in place by last summer, but COVID-19 did a number on my free time. You would think I'd have more time but it was the exact opposite. The new plan is to have the updates in place by this summer.

The new site will be MUCH easier for posting news and sharing it to social media. So I need some people who are up for mapping their way through this old format for the next six months.

I love that we have social media for easy access to info and images, but there aren't many sites like this one that keep an archive of news, updates, with galleries and past conversations. And I still believe in having sites where you can count on all the news and info you might have missed elsewhere online, and He-Man.Org should always be one of them.

Again, my apologies. I hope you'll understand and forgive why things have been behind lately, and I hope I can count on hope from a number of you.
    Thank you for your time!
    Just saw this and I'm very willing to help, would love to help if I can. Just let me know what I can do. I have been using the site from 2002ish and have always wanted to help out in some way but didn't know how.

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk

I'm a trained writer and editor with PR skills, and I'm at home recuperating from my foot surgeries and have plenty of spare time. I'm usually online every day and although I don't know how to use the board's software, I can offer time and help if I am needed and wanted. I used to write for an online music magazine that folded sadly a few years back. Another Val, the legendary Val Kilmer liked my piece I wrote for him and he sent me a free CD as a gift (and because I helped get his Christmas song, Christmas Is Calling, some radio time).
    Last edited by Mikey; February 3, 2021 at 10:27am.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Heroic Warrior
    If you are still looking for help I'm happy to volunteer my time.

Court Magician

First news submitted

I noticed I had new options when I logged into the front page! Been trying to submit news for a few days, but have been getting a message that someone else was editing the page. Have today submitted my first piece of news for review, keen to hear any feedback

I just wanted to add myself to this group of helpers. I have many web skills, work in the arts I am willing to give some time here. I have degrees in graphic design and art. I used to run a web department for a division of Sony and now I am the Director of Artist and Education programs for a 110 year old art organization. I’ve spent the last year developing online/virtual programs and events and, although I am still new to He-man.org, I already feel like giving back.

Thank you to all who posted here and PM'ed me.
    This means a lot. How I got to be MORE busy at 40 is beyond me, but I feel like I have NO time any more.

I will be reaching out to you all soon. And seriously, THANK you!

Heroic Warrior
    I offer no time and energy sadly because i'm so busy already. I absolutely love this website and I can always donate $$ if it's needed.

Heroic Warrior
    So I assume when this is all happening, there will be no Org for a while?

I appreciate all the replies!

I'll be doing my best to reach out to everyone this week.

Heroic Warrior
    I'd be happy to write like news articles and do social media stuff. I'm decent at graphic design and good at working with social media (a few years back before a bad breakup that made me abandon the community I was in altogether, I ran a Lego account on Instagram that had like 300 followers that I'd gained over the course of like a year). I'm also good at making memes.

Idk, I'd love to do whatever I can to help.

Also, I could try to make a VrChat world mockup thing. It could be useful if Powercon ever has to go virtual again.

I知 not a genius on the computer but I知 happy to help out if required.
    For example giving an update on the front page that Mondo is releasing Keldor today limited to 1,000 figures...... sold out in four hours.

Widget
    I知 not the best at web programming, but I知 a graphic designer by trade and I used to write for my college paper if you need help writing articles or reviews. Because of covid I知 a stay at home dad for the foreseeable future, so I致e got some time to volunteer.