Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Masters of the Universe Revelation Episode 1 Talkback Thread *SPOILERS*

Quote Originally Posted by Jeevesosiris View Post
    I don't think it was ageism. It was a sensible, logical choice.

Hamill is a household name, has huge nerd credibility and will draw more people into the show. He was interviewed on talk shows about the role, which will draw more eyes to the product. As much as I respect Alan Oppenheimer, there is no way he would have got on TV to talk about the show. Hamill is also considered very good at his job, so hiring him was a genius marketing move.

Alan is also in his 90's now and not to be harsh, but if they want to make multiple seasons is he still going to be able to perform in 2, 3, 5 years time?

Also maybe Alan Oppenheimer just didn't want to do it?

We all like to jump to conclusions, but the idea that it's ageism is not a conclusion that most people would make.
    You are correct, my statement should have been more clear. I meant to say: If they didn’t cast Alan Oppenheimer because of his age, it would be ageism. I, of course, have no proof that is why they picked Mark Hamill. I still believe Alan Oppenheimer would have done a better job, and the series could have marketed the return of the original Skeletor to its audience, much like Hasbro does when Peter Cullen plays Optimus Prime.

Heroic Warrior
    King Randor is shockingly bad in this. If the writers watched the Filmation episodes, you'd think they wouldn't even have the death penalty in his kingdom, let alone for if Duncan "so much as welds two pieces of metal together" after hurting the king's feelings by keeping a secret from him. That's very tyrannical. Why not just let Keldor be king if Randor's like that?
    Oh wait, Skeletor might not even be Keldor in this "continuation."

Yeah man, I mean I know his son just "died" and (like Teela) he's embarrassed that "everyone" knew this Big Secret except for him AND it just got spilled in front of everyone, making them feel like rather an idiot. BUT, he completely overreacted in ways that neither Filmation Randor NOR 200X Randor would have done.

I know that "We all process grief differently" BUT it was a hard sell for me. It's unthinkable to me that ANY version of Randor we'd ever seen would act like that. I know they had to kind of force the break-up of "the team" but it felt like a rushed, lazy, overly-convenient way to get there.

As to Marlena keeping the secret being from Randor "a bigger betrayal", now you've got me worried. We haven't seen Randor and Marlena again, for all we know when the show picks up in the second half their marriage is strained, or something. I hope not, but you never know. I'm sure they'll address it, somehow. He did seem pretty mad at her, but they didn't have any time to dwell on it because they had to shift the attention to Teela and her "Screw you, I quit" moment super-fast. I get it, but this whole final scene with Randor vs. Everyone and Teela's Fit could have been handled better. It's legitimately the only scene in the entire SERIES that made me go "Heh... nah." I don't hate the idea of them having to all go their separate ways, I just don't like the execution of it, and I feel like if the episode was even five minutes longer they could have come up with a better way to get to the exact same place plot-wise.

Teela's "tantrum" is sort-of justifiable, but more so in the later episodes when we deal more with the "Why" of her being so bitter about everything. In the moment, it comes off rather abrupt and a little forced, but the later episodes put it in better context.

My wife, when Teela threw down her tiara and gave the camera that hard stare with her hair down: "Dude, that's HOT." Too bad she didn't keep that look.

This is more an issue with later episodes, or at least how they affect this one... but some of the characters like Fisto and Clamp Champ get only a few seconds to make an impression. They make a GOOD impression, but then later on in the series you see a lot more of Mer-Man, Tri-Klops, and so on, and THEN you're like "Okay, why isn't Andra replaced by Clamp Champ instead?" You could literally swap Andra for Clamp Champ instead and it's the same basic story with only a few minor tweaks, like as to why they'd be partners but even that's a line of dialogue at most. I'unno. Like I said, the fact that some of the characters in Episode 1 only get a few seconds to shine, is really only noticeable later on when you see how much time a few others get. In the moment, they all come off pretty cool.

Tons of Easter eggs. They really did do a good amount of homework for this project even if they DID kind of misrepresent what it was a little bit.

Out of all 5 episodes, this one definitely feels the most like Filmation (and gives you the most actual He-Man content, which is unfortunate even if it makes sense in the story's larger context). The best thing to do is accept that it's a bit of a 200X/Filmation hybrid with a few bits borrowed from the toy line.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Heroic Warrior
    The problem with the Randor tantrum is it sticks. One thing if he blows his top and banishes Man-at-arms and then regrets it the next day. But there is a time jump after that and the banishment hasn't been revoked.
    Ditto Teela. She walked out and then was still not seeing any of her 'family' for how long?
    Doesn't fit with the character at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrskeletor View Post
    The problem with the Randor tantrum is it sticks. One thing if he blows his top and banishes Man-at-arms and then regrets it the next day. But there is a time jump after that and the banishment hasn't been revoked.
    Ditto Teela. She walked out and then was still not seeing any of her 'family' for how long?
    Doesn't fit with the character at all.
    Betrayal hurts...

I would imagine that the woman who comes home to see her husband in bed with another woman won't be buddy-buddy with the guy for a long, looooooong time -if ever.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MCX-Eternia View Post
    King Randor is shockingly bad in this. If the writers watched the Filmation episodes, you'd think they wouldn't even have the death penalty in his kingdom, let alone for if Duncan "so much as welds two pieces of metal together" after hurting the king's feelings by keeping a secret from him. That's very tyrannical. Why not just let Keldor be king if Randor's like that?
    Oh wait, Skeletor might not even be Keldor in this "continuation."
    Keldor was never even hinted at in Filmation. I believe Filmation used the demon from another dimension thing in the series bible (if I'm wrong, please correct me). Keldor didn't exist until The Search for Keldor, and wasn't confirmed to be Skeletor until 200X. And Keldor being both Skeletor and Randor's brother wasn't spelled out until MOTUC (or the DC comics, idk which came first).

I'm perfectly fine if Keldor isn't a thing in this show. I always hated the idea that Skeletor was He-man's uncle.
    Don't think, that'll only confuse you.

Anyone notice that Skeletor killed Moss man who was voiced by Alan Oppenheimer.
    Princesses of Power enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Reviews2D View Post
    Anyone notice that Skeletor killed Moss man who was voiced by Alan Oppenheimer.
    That is pretty funny.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

I mean if all characters always acted like flawless human beings there wouldn't be any conflict or stories to tell that aren't just black and white good vs evil...

I think Randor could have had his tantrum removed from that scene, and in later episode, it could have been explained by MAA that he was banished ... We would have ended up with the same outcome, but with a bit more elegance with the storytelling and a lot less embarrassment for Randor.
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

Hey, like 90% of Randor's characterization has always been "I'm very disappointed in you, Adam." So when Adam died AND it turned out Adam was He-Man, Randor discovered that he suddenly only had 10% of a personality left. Perfectly understandable that he couldn't cope.
    Don't think, that'll only confuse you.

It kind of played like he was overreacting for feeling like kind of an idiot in front of everyone. "You ALL knew this except for me (except Teela)?" Then the realization sets in that Marlena figured it out without ever being told, just by paying attention or having intuition, and Randor's like "Huh... maybe I am an idiot..." But then he can't handle it and just blames everyone else.

Like you can kinda justify it a couple different ways and it ultimately serves the plot, it's just... ehhhhh.

The ONLY thing in the entire series I'd take out or change if I could. Just that ONE thing. I don't think it helps anything to the point where it was worth doing the way they did it, but I'unno. Not my circus.

I felt like the double temper tantrums in response to Adam's death was an odd choice and what really broke that scene for me. Both Teela and Randor act in ways any normal human would come to regret. I also felt like it deconstructed both of those heroic characters. Under pressure they didn't rise to the moment and show wisdom, instead they cracked and became volatile and selfish. One of them doing that would have been hard for me to accept, but two drew me out of the story.

If I ignore the details of this one scene, I've found I enjoyed most of the remaining story.

Court Magician
    I mentioned it in another thread, but Randor and Teela having big, emotional reactions to their worldviews being shattered were some of the best parts of an excellent show for me. How many of us have a relative who was kicked out of the family reunions and never invited back for something infinitely less earthshaking?

We're all just used to the standard cartoon 22 minute status quo reset. We can't imagine anything having STAKES.

Regarding Randor's rash and almost violent reaction, it shocked me too at first... But if you read the prequel comic tie-in, there's a whole conversation between him and Adam about Randor understanding his son's frustration with royal duties instead of glorious battles. He says that the champion of the realm cannot be the one that sits in the throne, that the warrior keeps the secrets so that the king can govern with a calm head... (I even took it a bit for both being one would be dangerously tempting to become a despot or something like that).
    He goes on saying that the scepter and the sword MUST be kept separate to ensure the safety of the royal family...
    After thinking a bit about it, I now believe that his reaction was a big part fatherly grief but also a lot of monarchic outrage. We think of personal victories and sacrifices, but a king (a great king specially) has to think in bigger selfless terms. Randor had to learn that after his battles to ensure the kingdom, and the only thing he wants now is for his son not to go through the same thing and become a good ruler... But his most trusted man, his confidant, allowed for the future of his line, the future of the kingdom, to come into constant danger AND NOW DIE.
    When you appreciate it in those terms, it is a pretty grave action on Duncan's side...
    Anyway I'm sure (I HOPE) we'll have some sort of reconciliation between both of them in part 2...
    -- de-lurking... --

Quote Originally Posted by benvoliothefirst View Post
    I mentioned it in another thread, but Randor and Teela having big, emotional reactions to their worldviews being shattered were some of the best parts of an excellent show for me. How many of us have a relative who was kicked out of the family reunions and never invited back for something infinitely less earthshaking?

We're all just used to the standard cartoon 22 minute status quo reset. We can't imagine anything having STAKES.
    Agreed. My issue is how they went about it. A more of a ……hurt….traumatized….speechless…..reaction is what I feel would have been more fitting with the characters. Just blind rage seemed….out of place.
    Comedian on the matty forums.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by EL FISTO View Post
    Regarding Randor's rash and almost violent reaction, it shocked me too at first... But if you read the prequel comic tie-in, there's a whole conversation between him and Adam about Randor understanding his son's frustration with royal duties instead of glorious battles. He says that the champion of the realm cannot be the one that sits in the throne, that the warrior keeps the secrets so that the king can govern with a calm head... (I even took it a bit for both being one would be dangerously tempting to become a despot or something like that).
    He goes on saying that the scepter and the sword MUST be kept separate to ensure the safety of the royal family...
    After thinking a bit about it, I now believe that his reaction was a big part fatherly grief but also a lot of monarchic outrage. We think of personal victories and sacrifices, but a king (a great king specially) has to think in bigger selfless terms. Randor had to learn that after his battles to ensure the kingdom, and the only thing he wants now is for his son not to go through the same thing and become a good ruler... But his most trusted man, his confidant, allowed for the future of his line, the future of the kingdom, to come into constant danger AND NOW DIE.
    When you appreciate it in those terms, it is a pretty grave action on Duncan's side...
    Anyway I'm sure (I HOPE) we'll have some sort of reconciliation between both of them in part 2...
    i think it'll be more of a truce between them. although Randor would reluctantly accept.
    Last edited by bigfootRULES; July 25, 2021 at 05:32pm.

Quote Originally Posted by horseman1981 View Post
    Agreed. My issue is how they went about it. A more of a ……hurt….traumatized….speechless…..reaction is what I feel would have been more fitting with the characters. Just blind rage seemed….out of place.
    Well, in real life we see people get angry and defensive when they're wrong about something. Perhaps, aside from the realization about Prince Adam/He-Man being one and the same, his death, and that MAA was aware of the secret, maybe he also lashed out because he was completely wrong and in the dark about who Prince Adam really was. Instead of being oafish, lazy, etc., Adam was the complete opposite of what his own father believed him to be.

Just trying to put some perspective into why I think Randor lashed out in that manner.

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    People often feel uncomfortable with passive emotions such as sadness, so they move to active emotions such as anger in order to cope. Acting out makes them feel like they are actively doing something about their emotions instead of just sitting with them. And misery loves company. They are hurting, so they want others to share their hurt too. When they move passed their hurt, this is the sort of behavior they will come to regret, but it is entirely normal.

Time is stronger than magic...

I believe this was foreshadowing of how things are going to be settled in the second half.
    "To a great mind, nothing is little."

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    Time is stronger than magic...

I believe this was foreshadowing of how things are going to be settled in the second half.
    When I first heard that line, first thing that popped into mind was some kind of time travel setup.
    Returns to the status quo of ep. 1 and nothing after that ever happens.

That in my opinion is worse.
    Even more of a cop-out.
    Not committing to the bit.
    And then the other half of the viewers will get mad.

Quote Originally Posted by tnktrk View Post
    When I first heard that line, first thing that popped into mind was some kind of time travel setup.

Even more of a cop-out.
    Without a real twister in there I agree that it will be bad writing.
    "To a great mind, nothing is little."

Co-Creator of the NV
    Quote Originally Posted by tnktrk View Post

Even more of a cop-out.
    A part of me suspects that too.. I hope that's not the case. I'd be okay with some magic that brings a partial return to status quo, like people forgetting about the castle being an illusion, but would prefer it to not be a full on reset

I'd also like to see some villains die - like updated Whiplash, maybe Triklops.. Modulok could be chopped up into pieces that then come back together..

On the heroes side I'd be up for Mekanecks decapitation, Man E Faces being killed, maybe Stratos or Buzz-Off.. Buzz-Off could even sacrifice himself by stinging someone

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    A part of me suspects that too.. I hope that's not the case. I'd be okay with some magic that brings a partial return to status quo, like people forgetting about the castle being an illusion, but would prefer it to not be a full on reset

I'd also like to see some villains die - like updated Whiplash, maybe Triklops.. Modulok could be chopped up into pieces that then come back together..

On the heroes side I'd be up for Mekanecks decapitation, Man E Faces being killed, maybe Stratos or Buzz-Off.. Buzz-Off could even sacrifice himself by stinging someone
    Or some of the women characters as well...because no one but the men died.
    Not very inclusive if you ask me.