Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Masters of the Universe Revelation Episode 2 Talkback Thread *SPOILERS*

Heroic Warrior
    I do wonder how big was the time jump? Maybe the Revelation panel at Comic-Con will answer this?

I really LOVED the Tri-Klops cult. It was like a revival of the original MOTU that had a struggle between magic and technology. I was a bit shocked that Whiplash also became a cyborg. Good episode.
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    I really like her too. I thought I was going to be indifferent to her at best. She is really the Jacqui Briggs to Teela's Cassie Cage to borrow a Mortal Kombat metaphor. How cool would it be if Andra was the grand-daughter of Dekker, who trained Duncan?
    Yes! YES!!

I was thinking the same. exact. thing!! Jacqui is awesome, and so is Andra!

(I think in Part 2, it will be revealed that Andra and Dekker are related...)

I love how she plays the yin (optimism) to Teela's yang (pessimism)... their characters play off of each other perfectly.

People are upset because she is an "unknown"?!?

They would prefer this interaction with another more established character?

Yeah, that would be kinda hard to do since Teela turned her back on the Masters...
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    Yes! YES!!

I was thinking the same. exact. thing!! Jacqui is awesome, and so is Andra!

(I think in Part 2, it will be revealed that Andra and Dekker are related...)

I love how she plays the yin (optimism) to Teela's yang (pessimism)... their characters play off of each other perfectly.

People are upset because she is an "unknown"?!?

They would prefer this interaction with another more established character?

Yeah, that would be kinda hard to do since Teela turned her back on the Masters...
    As someone else pointed out, the function of Andra as a character is to provide contrast to Teela and give people who are not familiar with the lore of Masters of the Universe a point of entry into the series. Because Andra is new to the lore, audiences who are also new to the lore have it explained to them in-story through her. For that reason alone, she cannot be a more established Defender of Eternia.

Heroic Warrior
    As someone else pointed out, the function of Andra as a character is to provide contrast to Teela and give people who are not familiar with the lore of Masters of the Universe a point of entry into the series. Because Andra is new to the lore, audiences who are also new to the lore have it explained to them in-story through her. For that reason alone, she cannot be a more established Defender of Eternia.
    Kevin Smith said something similar in the Comic-Con Revelations panel.

Opiate of the Masses anytimepally's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Metayer View Post
    I do wonder how big was the time jump? Maybe the Revelation panel at Comic-Con will answer this?
    I would also like to know this.

Yep, that totally makes sense.

And, I think that they hit it outta tha'park with her!

Intersting what they did with the father/daughter pair being inducted into Tri-Klops's cult. The father joining wasn't a surprise, but when the daughter seemed to be backing away I did think she'd bolt rather than drink from the chalice.

Do have to wonder if Tri-Klops knew the chalice was the Havok Staff, or if it was just morphed to hide it. Trapjaw already being a cyborg, it seemed kinda redundant to make him a lackey here. But was that Screech the black stuff was pouring out of?
    I am Imp's number one fan.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Asher Tye View Post
    Intersting what they did with the father/daughter pair being inducted into Tri-Klops's cult. The father joining wasn't a surprise, but when the daughter seemed to be backing away I did think she'd bolt rather than drink from the chalice.
    I, for one thought she was gonna be killed for the tragedy of it all. Well, can't predict it all correctly.

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by anytimepally View Post
    Whoever got the idea to cast Henry Rollins as a cult leader should get a raise.
    OMG, right?! He was the best part of the talkback episode... I imagine Mattel's lawyers getting REAL nervous with their fingers on the "CUT FEED" button when he started talking about religion, and Kevin Smith was enjoying it SO MUCH, lol

Andra turned out to be a pointless addition to the show. Either Do or Do Not, there is no Try.

They're girlfriends, not really but it sure looks like it. Officially it is a NO. You are only seeing things.

Heroic Warrior
    Clamp Champ was never in the original cartoons (actually, none of the cartoons!)
    Could have simply reconned his "randors bodyguard' origin (they did it with other characters) and replaced Andra with him - would have been far better.

+2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    I don't exactly dislike Andra, but I'm not a fan of how she's used. There is exactly zero explanation of who this person is, how she and Teela ended up as partners, or why we should care about her. Personally, I feel like she makes no meaningful contributions to the narrative, not just in this episode, but in all the episodes. I actually disagree with her being a lense for the audience. Most of the stuff that's new to her is stuff the audience has already been introduced to OR it's a concept that's new to all the characters OR she actually declares that she knows more about a character/concept than a casual viewer would. This role could have just as easily been Clamp Champ.

Not a fan of the Tri-Klops techno cult. It just seems weird without adding much.

I'm doing all these episode talk back comments from my memory of what happened in each episode, so I hope I'm remembering correctly on the following point. I'll be kind of vague just in case though. I believe it was this episode that basically set up the premise of what these episodes would be about and the fundamental lore associated with it. I simply dislike this take on the lore in just about every way. It takes pretty well established concepts and completely redefines them as something completely different.

Something I missed on the first viewing, Andra says to Teela that the myths Grayskull were part of the stories her grandfather used to tell her... Grandpa Dekker maybe???

Quote Originally Posted by Mrskeletor View Post
    Clamp Champ was never in the original cartoons (actually, none of the cartoons!)
    Could have simply reconned his "randors bodyguard' origin (they did it with other characters) and replaced Andra with him - would have been far better.
    Um... why? Clamp Champ wasn't in the original cartoons, Andra wasn't in the original cartoons... what makes one better than the other?
    Don't think, that'll only confuse you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dina M View Post
    Um... why? Clamp Champ wasn't in the original cartoons, Andra wasn't in the original cartoons... what makes one better than the other?
    I guess because Clamp Champ might have more in common with previous versions of the character and Andra is basically new.
    Princesses of Power enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Reviews2D View Post
    I guess because Clamp Champ might have more in common with previous versions of the character and Andra is basically new.
    But if Clamp Champ had had the same role as Andra in this show, he wouldn't have had anything to do with previous versions of the character either... part of the point was to have a newcomer around who could ask all the what's going on NOW?" questions, wasn't it?
    Don't think, that'll only confuse you.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by InThe80s View Post
    Andra turned out to be a pointless addition to the show. Either Do or Do Not, there is no Try.

(pic related)
    I've seen plenty of straight girls have moments like that. Again, watch the show, it's all about how hung up on Adam Teela is.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrskeletor View Post
    I said the same exact thing, actually.

You kill multiple birds (and erase a lot of the silly "criticism" and conjecture) that way.

Some people were salty that Andra got race-flipped? Use Clamp Champ, you don't have to do that.

People freaked out just seeing Teela and Andra standing next to each other, and immediately made assumptions on their "friendship" and what it would mean to the overall storyline, because jumping to conclusions is what people do. Well, you use Clamp Champ, nobody's making baseless assumptions about who Teela cohabitates with.

One of the big gripes historically about Clamp Champ is, he was introduced to the toy line so late that he missed out on being in the cartoons, and since then nobody's really ever done much with him at all so he just kind of "exists". When it was announced that he was in this, some people got excited. "Awesome, we finally get Clamp Champ!" Then he literally shows up for about 8 seconds of the first episode, and you never see him again (so far).

Wasted opportunity, unless they're saving him for something big in the show's second half. Which I concede, they might very well be doing and we won't know until then.

I'm just saying that knowing exactly what we know right now, you could tweak the storyline with a couple lines of dialog and easily switch Andra for Clamp Champ. Andra's also a bit of a crap fighter and Clamp Champ obviously isn't, so as a Bonus you might get a couple more Money Shots per fight scene.

I'unno, definitely not the end of the world BUT if they did that it would be one less thing for people to be annoyed about. I'm almost positive that in the grand scheme of things, more people care about Clamp Champ than Andra. Even if the score is like, 10 people to 6 people. More people probably would have chosen to see more Clamp Champ if they had any say in it whatsoever. And it wouldn't have changed too much of the story we already got.

But it is what it is. Not a HUGE deal but I personally would have done that over what we got. Just feels like it makes more sense AND immediately negates a bunch of silly speculative "criticism" about Teela and Andra's "friendship".
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Quote Originally Posted by Dina M View Post
    But if Clamp Champ had had the same role as Andra in this show, he wouldn't have had anything to do with previous versions of the character either... part of the point was to have a newcomer around who could ask all the what's going on NOW?" questions, wasn't it?
    And then fans would be mad that "they changed the character". There's no winning here for the creators.

Quote Originally Posted by Sword2Blanket View Post

Not a fan of the Tri-Klops techno cult. It just seems weird without adding much.
    The techno-cult was needed from a world building perspective. Eternia is a land of both Magic and Technology. The current story was very magic focused so they needed to tell a bit of the story from the technology side of things so new viewers wouldn't get the wrong idea. It would have been neat if they threw in some variant of this quote:

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C Clark.

It played kind of similar for me, as well.

MOTU and Eternia has always been about a "merging" of Technology and Magic. With Magic "gone" (or at least diminished), it makes perfect sense to me that Technology would become more emergent in that vacuum. And I rather liked how they illustrated that. It was something I hadn't initially considered but it felt pretty natural when it came up.

Tri-Klops's Techno-Pope Hat is still pretty silly-looking, though.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikki Roxx View Post
    It played kind of similar for me, as well.

MOTU and Eternia has always been about a "merging" of Technology and Magic. With Magic "gone" (or at least diminished), it makes perfect sense to me that Technology would become more emergent in that vacuum. And I rather liked how they illustrated that. It was something I hadn't initially considered but it felt pretty natural when it came up.

Tri-Klops's Techno-Pope Hat is still pretty silly-looking, though.
    This times a million. Casting Henry Rollins was a stroke of genius, and if you've seen Dogma, all the stuff about heaven/hell/resurrection makes perfect sense. 200X Tri-Klops was the tech guy, and he's filling the void left by magic. Can you imagine a world where magic existed, and then it suddenly disappeared? The sheep would be DESPERATE to fill that void.

I loved everything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Irian View Post
    And then fans would be mad that "they changed the character". There's no winning here for the creators.
    Very true.

I really liked Henry Rollins as Tri-Klops. Some of his lines were hilarious "The Holy Sprocket" was really funny, and I like that level of silly in my MOTU at times. It balances out the serious stuff I am also after.

I was surprised to see Blast Attack, but I am glad they used him.
    The Lurkiest

**Somebody please make me a Staghorn**

I guess my question would be, why would Teela turn to a person who was a part of the world she just turned her back on?

Is it really so hard to believe that Teela can make friends outside of her past life?

Andra is an awesome new addition to the fold, plays an important part, and might have big implications moving forward.