Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Masters of the Universe Revelation Episode 5 Talkback Thread *SPOILERS*

Quote Originally Posted by tnktrk View Post
    Haven't read the new DH comic, will just wait for the trade. That's what I do nowadays, wait for the trade.

But if Adam becomes King, he can change that rule. He'd be king & wariior just like King Grayskull was both King & Warrior. There is precedence.
    The 2002 Greyskull had a thing with his era's sorceress so this new King Warrior Adam will have one with Sorceress Teela.

True , it Just read to me more like fore shadowing .

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Battledog View Post
    Not liking something is not fan rage.

Not liking something is not hate.

Season 1 was 16 episodes. This is the first time ever I'm hearing people only like the first 16 episodes only.
    I correct myself. Some fans were not a fan of concepts introduced in Season 2 but more G1 fans would not like anything past the first 15 min of the 87 movie beyond. Also any rage seen in the Transformers community has not been like what we seen with Revelations, the movies were probably the closest we have seen in that regard.
    Princesses of Power enthusiast

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Reviews2D View Post
    I correct myself. Some fans were not a fan of concepts introduced in Season 2 but more G1 fans would not like anything past the first 15 min of the 87 movie beyond. Also any rage seen in the Transformers community has not been like what we seen with Revelations, the movies were probably the closest we have seen in that regard.
    Well I think we know why people didn't like the movie and season 3. Which is a kinda of a similar situation with revelation, they got rid of a chunk of the cast and dropped you into a new scenario.
    Last edited by Battledog; July 29, 2021 at 07:40pm.

Co-Creator of the NV
    I remember a few years back there were problems with the classics line because of characters with clear plastic breaking - if they have any broken extra Robotos (or Roboto returns) they can repackage and sell as a Preternia / Forge Damage Roboto variant

Heroic Warrior
    Honestly, I felt as if Adam was the 90-pound weakling among them even if he were in his He-Man form. I liked the Prince Adam from the 2002 series better, this Netflix incarnation had a build and hairstyle that made me think of Jon Heder.

No Red Beast, We Riot! Whiplash7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikki Roxx View Post
    I think there's gonna be more to that story in Part 2. A lot more.

But as far as the Here and Now, one thing that's consistent about Evil-Lyn in every iteration is that she goes for the side that's most advantageous to her. She sees Adam bleeding out, figures it's pointless to even try and go against Skeletor, and hops back on the "Dark Side" of the fence because that's where her bread is buttered.

...But that may yet change.

I really liked her actions there in that scene because it's consistent, even if it was abrupt. Evil-Lyn only ever takes one side: Evil-Lyn's side. Maybe she did at one point sincerely feel some sort of kinship with the others after their adventure, but once she sees that Skeletor is about to become a god she's not going to suddenly see it as a golden opportunity to nurture her budding altruistic streak. She's far too pragmatic for that.

And if she later on betrays Skeletor at a moment of opportunity, well... that's pretty consistent, too.

We'll see. I think they said Evil-Lyn gets most of an episode in Part II so obviously there's more to this chapter.
    It is consistent with her general character. But her bonding with Orko, and the honour displayed by her on the mission, which built up over the series, was inconsistent. Which made her abrupt turnaround a bit weak imo, as it was out of character for what we had been seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeevesosiris View Post
    Also I have no issue with King Grayskull being black in this "spiritual continuation" I think it helped set him apart from the other past heroes there.,, and if it really bothers people, then Grayskull says in the episode that they can choose their form in Pre-Ternia... so maybe he just wanted to be black in that form.
    My thoughts EXACTLY.

Court Magician
    My take on Evil-Lyn was that she is sill power hungry. She has a soft spot for Orko but that doesn't mean that she is a good guy permanently.

I don't think that it's weird of her to go back to Skeletor in 5, it's just joining/checking out the winning team.

I would consider it as a problem if she goes back to being okay being his lackey. I think it makes sense that joins up with him to see whether she can stab him in the back later. Not to help the good guys but to become the power herself. I don't think she needs to do it immediately even. I could picture her working with him while he defeats and unites other villain factions like Mer-Man and technology church and only stab him in the back AFTER he has united everybody.

I don't think that her bonding with Orko meant that she has given up on her ambitions. I saw that more as "pity that he isn't on my side" or maybe if we got into a fight, I would let him escape with his life".

From Evil-Lyn's perspective, I just see no point why she would openly defy Skeletor at this point (okay the only reason I could see if she was mad at him for tricking her, but I don't see her being at the point where she does it to save the good guys), especially if she is unsure what his current power level is. Why defy him and disk getting blasted in the face? Better join him to scout him out and wait for a moment of weakness.

I guess it would have been interesting if Skeletor had actually stopped to execute everybody on team good guy Lyn has spent time with, whether she would have reacted then, but since that probably isn't happening anyway, I don't really expect her. Like I said, just makes more sense to scout Skeletor out.
    Last edited by Medea; July 30, 2021 at 12:54am.

Wonder if Adam was lying there thinking "yeah, this mightn't have been my best idea" as he only gave up immortality in Preternia about 3 minutes before then. Not the best of returns.

Quote Originally Posted by darksider View Post
    Honestly, I felt as if Adam was the 90-pound weakling among them even if he were in his He-Man form. I liked the Prince Adam from the 2002 series better, this Netflix incarnation had a build and hairstyle that made me think of Jon Heder.
    Adam Dybatime. The actor that plays Orko looks a bit like Aaron Ruell/Kip Dynamite.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    Adam Dybatime. The actor that plays Orko looks a bit like Aaron Ruell/Kip Dynamite.
    Kip Dynamite looks like a nerdier version of Harry Potter, minus the magic.

Kip Dynamite looks like a nerdier version of Harry Potter, minus the magic.
    With cage fighting skills.

Rewatched the whole thing. One little moment I missed the first time around.

"No, wait, I'm still mad!"

People complaining about Teela's behavior are missing the bigger picture. People often mask sorrow and heartbreak with anger. Anger is a much simpler, baser emotion and far easier dealt with. It's been years and Teela hasn't dealt with anything yet. It's all supposed to catch up with her at some point and I'm weary if the show is going to deliver on this. They wanted to "upgrade" MOTU with character drama, well, let's see what you got, Kev.

Court Magician
    As someone who has tried to ignore my conscience in the past, and then lashed out at my loved ones until finally dealing with it much later, I can wholeheartedly sympathize with Teela here. It's very real, and I bet some of the people who HATED the new show are probably right in the middle of that cycle.

I just want to hug them and say, "Okay, but what's REALLY going on with you, and how can I help you?"

I feel that this scene was just setting up a bigger confrontation in part 2. Adam hasn't really given Teela any answers, and I'm not entirely sure if "you don't understand what it did to me, do you?" fully registered with him.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Mach5 View Post
    I feel that this scene was just setting up a bigger confrontation in part 2. Adam hasn't really given Teela any answers, and I'm not entirely sure if "you don't understand what it did to me, do you?" fully registered with him.
    Wait until she finds out that the Sorceress is actually her mother. It'll be fun watching her go ballistic again like someone seeing their favorite candidate lose an election.

I'm sure the other question on most people's minds is if she's going to get into a romantic relationship with Adam. I say don't bet on it, and don't hold your breath. Netflix has a habit of making a major character go gay, which they usually reveal close to the end of a series.

Co-Creator of the NV
    Wait until she finds out that the Sorceress is actually her mother. It'll be fun watching her go ballistic again like someone seeing their favorite candidate lose an election.

I'm sure the other question on most people's minds is if she's going to get into a romantic relationship with Adam. I say don't bet on it, and don't hold your breath. Netflix has a habit of making a major character go gay, which they usually reveal close to the end of a series.
    What shows has this happened in?

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dina M View Post
    There was quite a bit of fan rage about She-Ra and the Princesses of Power, and that WAS very clear about being a different take...
    I think people were expecting differences, but not differences to that degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    Becasue some fans just want the same thing over and over and over again.

Much like all the hate for Rise of the TMNT.
    I think fans want consistency with the property that they know and love. You make Raph the leader and Leo the clown, that would rub some people the wrong way.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    What shows has this happened in?
    Netflix Voltron is the example I know. IIRC, Shiro was revealed to be gay in the middle of the series, but before he could be seen with anyone, they killed his love interest off in the end.

I also heard it happened with Korra and Netflix She-Ra.

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I think people were expecting differences, but not differences to that degree.

I think fans want consistency with the property that they know and love. You make Raph the leader and Leo the clown, that would rub some people the wrong way.

- - - Updated - - -

Netflix Voltron is the example I know. IIRC, Shiro was revealed to be gay in the middle of the series, but before he could be seen with anyone, they killed his love interest off in the end.

I also heard it happened with Korra and Netflix She-Ra.
    I think most people who saw She-Ra would say that there was foreshadowing before the final season. With Korra you got a point there, Korrasami was an idea for quite while but the crew didn't do a great job of making it clear (agreeably at the final scene too). The issue with using Korra as an example is that wasn't made for Netflix and I get the example but I'm sure there more examples of series that were made for Netflix.
    Princesses of Power enthusiast

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by benvoliothefirst View Post
    As someone who has tried to ignore my conscience in the past, and then lashed out at my loved ones until finally dealing with it much later, I can wholeheartedly sympathize with Teela here. It's very real, and I bet some of the people who HATED the new show are probably right in the middle of that cycle.

I just want to hug them and say, "Okay, but what's REALLY going on with you, and how can I help you?"
    Are you captain of the guard just after magic was destroyed?

I'll post some of my thoughts on the first five episodes here:

I personally was happy to watch a show focusing on someone else than He-man for a change. We've had so many stories about Adam/He-man, that it was refreshing to focus on something else for a while. I do think there's still much to explore in Adam/He-man, so hopefully they get their time in the spotlight too in the later episodes. So far I did like what they did with Adam. He did not hesitate to sacrifice himself for Eternia and for his friends/family. I think that captured his essence very well.

I also very much liked all the nods to the different eras of MOTU. Always love seeing the MOTU live action movie getting nods. Lots of nice references to it in this one.

I was a bit surprised that Moss-Man was so easily defeated. He is a very powerful being in the more contemporary adaptations (a nature god) and I would've expected him to be a bit harder to defeat. Now his purpose was just to give He-man a reason to cross over a line and impale Skeletor.

I liked Skeletor very much in this story arc. He was an evil mastermind for sure! I imagine he spent a very long time devicing this plan, taking so many things into consideration. Things went just the way he wanted them to go. That was nice and makes him more formidable than what he has been in many other versions.

I also liked the fresh take on secret identities. I agree that they are problematic for many reasons and I think Teela's outrage was justified.

I'm also not keen on tying the power of Eternia to Grayskull's bloodline. It is very elitistic and problematic. I liked the DC's Eternity War - storyarcs ending where Adam gave the power to everyone. I'm hoping that idea carries over to MOTU:R and in the end a new era for Eternia is proposed (where He-man is no more, at least in his current form).
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

I'm almost positive that at that time they did not know "magic was destroyed". In fact, at that moment there was still magic. It would fade with time.

Skeletor was also defeated and there was no more need to defend Grayskull as the power there was gone.
    "A fool always finds a greater fool to admire him."

Court Magician
    Yep!

10 CHARACTERS

He-Man historian
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikki Roxx View Post
    But there's not even anything in the rest of the show that even comes close to his type of humor OR his writing style.

I don't honestly think he wrote most of it. I think he "oversaw" and gave notes and left the actual plot writing to others, and he got the "writer" credit more for publicity than anything because he's a big name. That's what I'm choosing to believe until I'm conclusively proven wrong.

You should check out the Writer's commentaries on Kevin's youtube channel. There are 5 videos where all the individual writers get to talk about their episode. And they mention the few times Kevin needed, or didn't need to give suggestions or change parts.
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Episode 5:

Positives:

Roboto’s final words as he dies were well done. His death was stupidly conceived and staged, but the dialogue was good.

Negatives:

If Orko was dead shouldn’t he instantly have poofed into existence beyond the gate into Preternia?

Obviously he’s not dead, but the fact that our heroes don’t comment on this is weird.

Seems like a missed opportunity for interesting dialogue.

------

Adam was the only one who chose to keep his true form. That’s fine. It makes sense.

But...why is that treated as a bad thing? The other heroes make fun of him and call him “flea”.

You’re dead and in paradise. Why is your real body or in this case “spirit” referred to as your “lesser” form.

That make the other legendary heroes seem kind of shallow and egosticical.

------------

Why does He-Ro need advice from Andra on how to reforge the Sword of Power?

Why do they need Roboto to do this?

You’re in Preternia. None of the past heroes have taken up metal work as a fun hobby in heaven?

---------

Adam is dead and in heaven and Teela is still screeching at him.

“Man dies. Woman most affected” can best sum up this show.

------------

Why does Roboto reforge the sword? Shouldn’t that be He-Ro or any other character who isn’t physically able to die?

--------------

Skeletor calling Evil Lyn “Lynnie” made me cringe.

Final Thoughts:

The cliff hanger was fine. After 4 episodes and just the heroes and a show stealing performance by Tony Todd’s Scareglow it was nice to have Skeletor back. Even if it was still too much like Hamill’s Joker.
    I think there’s almost no chance the last 5 episodes can redeem this truly awful written show, but I guess we’ll find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn29 View Post
    Skeletor calling Evil Lyn “Lynnie” made me cringe.
    "Ya did good Lynnie" ugghhh

This was too much "Joker" and not enough Skeletor for me.
    "A fool always finds a greater fool to admire him."