Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Masters of the Universe: Revelation - Interviews with Kevin Smith & Others Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    To name a few I think Ciro Nieli, Bruce Timm, Joaquim Dos Santos, Michael Dante DiMartino, Lauren Faust, Genndy Tartakovsky could all have done a better job.
    Perhaps my opinion will be more favourable to Smith after the next episodes.
    Like I said overall I do like Revelations.

- - - Updated - - -

I've only ever seen a little bit of that show years ago. Might have to re-watch it some time.

To Smiths credit he has done a better job with MOTU than the more recent Transformers aniamted shows over the last fews years.
    For who you choose I think the issue would be recognition. I don't really know celebrities' but people who's most notable work is animation are usually not notable names in Hollywood outside of expectations like Seth MacFarlane and Walt Disney. Despite what some might say Mattel was taking this seriously so I think it's understandable for them to choose Smith since he is a recognizable name and known for being a huge geek.
    Princesses of Power enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Reviews2D View Post
    For who you choose I think the issue would be recognition. I don't really know celebrities' but people who's most notable work is animation are usually not notable names in Hollywood outside of expectations like Seth MacFarlane and Walt Disney. Despite what some might say Mattel was taking this seriously so I think it's understandable for them to choose Smith since he is a recognizable name and known for being a huge geek.
    While I am not much of a Kevin Smith fan, compared to Seth MacFarlane, Smith is a far better choice. MacFarlane's cartoons are just vile. I actually liked the first few seasons of Family Guy, but season 4 onwards was awful. Especially when they started making Brian just MacFarlane's mouthpiece.

While I am not much of a Kevin Smith fan, compared to Seth MacFarlane, Smith is a far better choice. MacFarlane's cartoons are just vile. I actually liked the first few seasons of Family Guy, but season 4 onwards was awful. Especially when they started making Brian just MacFarlane's mouthpiece.
    American Dad is awesome.

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dina M View Post
    I don't know... am I the only one who sees the irony in people being so outraged at Kevin Smith for "lying" to them... and at the same time saying that it's unrealistic that Teela would be outraged about people "lying" to her?

I mean... the fanbase is literally demonstrating what a realistic reaction that was...

That...that's pretty funny.
    MOTU Origins Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Anti-Eternia Characters, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy
    Hermione's Toy Box on Youtube (GIVEAWAY in Progress!): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8C...xlwUttPSJAUZMA

I'm sure that Mattel could have choose someone else but I would have no idea although I do think who you choose could being something interesting to MOTU.
    Princesses of Power enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    American Dad is awesome.
    It was okay...still better than Family Guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeevesosiris View Post
    Glad the show is getting so much promotion. Hope it translates to new viewers.

Will never understand the Kevin Smith bashing...
    He said Teela doesn't have a girlfriend. It's heavily implied that Andra and her are an item.
    He said it wasn't a Teela show, it was literally all about He-Man (teaser trailer was misleading as well). In fact Teela was the main character and He-Man was a guest star.
    He said they didn't redesign character looks. It turned out they did.
    He said it was a direct continuation of Filmation's show. It didn't feel like it.

He killed He-Man and Skeletor IN THE VERY FIRST EPISODE, then killed him again.

Then we have characters acting out of character and especially Teela's controversial looks and behaviour (with SMG's voice not fitting her on top of that).

In short, plenty of things to make people mad.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 80slady View Post
    He said Teela played an important role, but the story was still about He-Man... and it literally is.

Not really. It was about Teela's and Evil-Lyn's quest. He-Man just happened to pop up to everyone's surprise.
    Last edited by Chris85; July 27, 2021 at 07:46am.

Kevin Smith on NewsNation Now promoting Masters of the Universe: Revelation

Quote Originally Posted by Chris85 View Post
    He said Teela doesn't have a girlfriend. It's heavily implied that Andra and her are an item.
    He said it wasn't a Teela show, it was literally all about He-Man (teaser trailer was misleading as well). In fact Teela was the main character and He-Man was a guest star.
    He said they didn't redesign character looks. It turned out they did.
    He said it was a direct continuation of Filmation's show. It didn't feel like it.

Then we have characters acting out of character and especially Teela's controversial looks and behaviour (with SMG's voice not fitting her on top of that).
    - Where was it "heavily implied" that Teela and Andra are an "item"?
    - The entire plot and chain of events are a direct consequence of a decision made by He-Man himself. Also, the show description from the beginning hinted at a cataclysmic event that Teela would try to undo.
    - They all had their classic looks during the first episode. After a significant time jump during which all their lives were dramatically altered, their outfits changed, in many cases in a subtle manner.
    - He has always maintained that the first 10 minutes would show the same personalities and tone established in Filmation before the real plot takes hold. That's exactly what happened.
    Last edited by Durendal; July 27, 2021 at 04:10pm.

"Everyone could stab each other this time" - that is what Smith told Ashleigh Banfield in that video on the new MOTU cartoon where the characters including He-Man will get to stab one another. That show is supposed to be family-friendly, not a violent one.
    Last edited by Neophron; July 27, 2021 at 01:10pm.
    Try to reach inside of me, try to drain my energy
    Let me show you just what I'm made of
    Simple curiosity trying to take a bite of me
    Let me show you just what I'm made of now...

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by dualban View Post
    could someone post a video where KS lied about Revelation. I would like to make my own opinion.
    https://bleedingcool.com/tv/masters-...p-rumor-again/

I believe he went on a podcast or a few to further downplay the leaks. Which if He-Man is returning in the 2nd half and already they are teasing he is and battling SkeleGod, then no he didn't lie about He-Man being sidelined (well I mean he kind of is the first half minus flashbacks). If Adam died and Teela took over in the 2nd half then yeah it would be a big lie.

Heroic Warrior
    [QUOTE=Durendal;3944848]- Where was it "heavily implied" that Teela and Andra are an "item"?
    -

absolutely nowhere. If they think that..then i guess every single character in POP are "items".. cuz 2 girls hanging out.. and especially if one has a punk hair gut.. they HAVE to be dating right man...
    nope

Not really. It was about Teela's and Evil-Lyn's quest. He-Man just happened to pop up to everyone's surprise.
    Isn't the whole purpose of their quest a direct consequence of the actions and sacrifice of He-Man?

Therefore: He-Man saved us, He-Man died, He-Man must be brought back, He-Man/Adam is found, He-Man/Adam is brought back to the same spot he died...
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

[QUOTE=H.A.L.9000;3944876]
    -

absolutely nowhere. If they think that..then i guess every single character in POP are "items".. cuz 2 girls hanging out.. and especially if one has a punk hair gut.. they HAVE to be dating right man...
    You should see what happens on Huntara's home planet!
    Clearing out Classics, Super7 and vintage MOTU & PoP figures... check out my threads in the Marketplace for Fisto, Sorceress, BA variants, SDCC exclusives and more!

There was one particular scene where Teela basically says that Andra is the meaning of her life and they exchange affectionate looks. If that's not a heavy hint, then it's queerbating. People may laugh all they want, but I'm far from being the only one who got an impression they're a couple.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    Isn't the whole purpose of their quest a direct consequence of the actions and sacrifice of He-Man?

Therefore: He-Man saved us, He-Man died, He-Man must be brought back, He-Man/Adam is found, He-Man/Adam is brought back to the same spot he died...
    The thing is they didn't plan to look for him, they were trying reforge the sword and save the magic. He just happened to be there, so there was course correction.

There was one particular scene where Teela basically says that Andra is the meaning of her life and they exchange affectionate looks. If that's not a heavy hint, then it's queerbating. People may laugh all they want, but I'm far from being the only one who got an impression they're a couple.
    Oh good grief
    I'm gay and I'm laughing over here. Here's the thing: I saw the scene and both my and my husband's reaction afterwards was "It's there if you want it to be there. And it's not if you don't."

It was a scene handled perfectly and left open to interpretation. And it may or may not go anywhere in the next batch of episodes. Another scene that you can interpret how you want? The two bros with their arms around each other in Preternia. Are they or aren't they a thing? Were they Eternia's first gay power couple? We might never know, but it's there if you want it. And personally I don't feel queerbaited by that sort of thing one bit.
    Clearing out Classics, Super7 and vintage MOTU & PoP figures... check out my threads in the Marketplace for Fisto, Sorceress, BA variants, SDCC exclusives and more!

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    Oh good grief
    I'm gay and I'm laughing over here. Here's the thing: I saw the scene and both my and my husband's reaction afterwards was "It's there if you want it to be there. And it's not if you don't."

It was a scene handled perfectly and left open to interpretation. And it may or may not go anywhere in the next batch of episodes. Another scene that you can interpret how you want? The two bros with their arms around each other in Preternia. Are they or aren't they a thing? Were they Eternia's first gay power couple? We might never know, but it's there if you want it. And personally I don't feel queerbaited by that sort of thing one bit.
    I agree with you that it's open to interpretation. Being gay myself I couldn't help noticing those bros, I thought to myself - doesn't mean anything, could be just 2 straight dudes having a bonding moment. However with Teela I felt that's a direction they plan to follow. KS could've easily lied to avoid spoilering that future development.
    Last edited by Chris85; July 27, 2021 at 07:33pm.

Let's not have speculation on a character's sexuality in this thread as that is more of a Tar Swamp topic. I added the extra guidelines to the opening post in this thread as the other Revelation threads. Thanks.

Widget
    Good to see Smith on the show.
    Last edited by GrayskullPrime; July 27, 2021 at 10:29pm. Reason: Typo

Court Magician
    I'm genuinely surprised by people not appreciating the techno-cult religious aspect, or Preternia/Subternia being Heaven/Hell. From the guy who made Dogma? That's Kevin's DNA all over it. Naga-nootch!

Quote Originally Posted by benvoliothefirst View Post
    I'm genuinely surprised by people not appreciating the techno-cult religious aspect, or Preternia/Subternia being Heaven/Hell. From the guy who made Dogma? That's Kevin's DNA all over it. Naga-nootch!
    I love the techno cult aspect, it's one of my favorite parts. The preternia/subternia heaven/hell part is interesting and I'm fine with it in this iteration but unsure it should continue beyond it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    CC: 1) Lizorr, 2) Sagitar, 3) King Miro, 4) Hunga, 5) Hoove, 6) Kayo, 7) Artilla, 9) Master Sebrian, 10) MoP Demons, 11) Twiggets, 12) Raj-Jar, 13) Hans Hammerholder, 14) Staghorn, 15) Spinwit, 16) Vizar, 17) Butthead, 18) Nocturna, 19) Melaktha, 20) Vy-Por
    CG: 1) Whiplash, 2) Ram Man, 3) Leech, 4) Kobra Khan, 5) Moss Man, 6) Bow, 7) Buzz Off, 8) Multi-Bot, 9) Entrapta, 10) Webstor

More promo.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Aside from a brief mention at the beginning and end, the majority of this is about his biofilm, mother's birth canal, and decaying jawline. :o
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX