Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Masters of the Universe: Revelation - Interviews with Kevin Smith & Others Thread

Masters of the Universe: Revelation - Interviews with Kevin Smith & Others Thread

Mod Note:
    Additional He-Man.Org Rules and Guidelines for This Thread - Please Read!

There has been a lot of discussion on where specific topics to be discussed land within this thread. This forum is intended to be all-ages and more light-hearted in spirit and is not to be dragged down into the typical debates about sex, politics, race and religion we see online often leading to anger and hurt feelings. Those topics can still be discussed, however they will be discussed in the Tar Swamp where there is a more open, adult platform for those topics.
    To help keep the forums fun and friendly, the admins and moderators have conversed and decided guidelines on what can and can’t be discussed in this thread and what will be referred to the Tar Swamp.

What can be discussed:
    • The specific reasons why we enjoy the show
    • Constructive reasons why we dislike the show
    • Reasons why we like/enjoy specific characters
    • Constructive reasons why we dislike characters
    • Relationships between characters (all inclusive and diversity - heterosexual, homosexual, pan, etc.) that are clearly defined in the cartoon

Topics for the Tar Swamp:
    • Debates about sex, politics and religion
    • Debates about race (discussion on race swapping of characters is allowed, but must not be political in nature)
    • Debates about morality and any sexually related topic, or any politics associated with sexuality
    • Speculation about a character’s sexuality

Funny, in my opinion watching the first five episodes didn’t make for a very good morning at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Nice!

I'm glad that Revelation is getting that plug on GMA!
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Holy ghost, those dislikes....

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Samurai View Post
    Holy ghost, those dislikes....
    That's probably more due to Kevin Smith lying than the Revelations cartoon.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    That's probably more due to Kevin Smith lying than the Revelations cartoon.
    It's definitely the show as well. Not to everyone's tastes.

They're silly, then.

I wanted more He-Man and Skeletor stuff, too. Might still get some in Round 2. We'll see.

Once again, some people are simply not gonna accept that the thing we got is Perfectly Fine even though it doesn't mesh with their own headcanon, or the thing they would do if they were the ones getting paid to make it. "It's not EXACTLY what I wanted" doesn't equal "It's no good". If people REALLY can't see everything the show does right despite the focus simply being on other characters rather than He-Man... well, that's unfortunate.

The 1-star/0-star "reviews" over it being "The Teela Show" is some of the most asinine stuff I've seen in a while, and I've had a ton of reservations about this show going into it.

It's "Sons of Liberty" all over again. "Where's my Solid Snaaaaaaaaaaaake? 1 out of 10 this game is terrible!" Despite being one of the greatest games ever made up to that point by any objective standard. Silliness.

Nothing is perfect and I've got some nitpicks about this show myself but if someone is going to insist that the show is THAT "bad" over something so ultimately trivial in the grand scheme of things then I'd sincerely like to know what they were looking at.

It's like someone saying the "Funeral For A Friend" arc from the "Death of Superman Saga" was "terrible" (rather than The Best Part) just because "Wellll it says Superman on the cover but he's not in the book, Zero Stars." That's not the pooooooint, dawwwwwwg.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikki Roxx View Post
    They're silly, then.
    Some of it's silly, some of it's justified. There are a lot of things that still leave a bad taste in my throat, I'm flip-flopping on some elements, but I'm doing my dardnest to piece together a positive picture because you've given it a glowing recommendation and you're a 'master' of the franchise craft, where as me? I'm not as 'versed in the ins and outs of toy card lore and vintage and even some modern comic books, but I definitely do appreciate the layers of what we get here from the Teela focus, and we've both complimented our insights into that.

I'm on both sides, which is never easy.

I sincerely feel like the only thing that just doesn't work is the Randor stuff. The ending of Episode 1 is... functional. But it's clunky. It does what they need it to do but it makes everyone in that scene look horrible to get there.

Anything past that, I think is people seeing what they wanted to see more than what's actually there. Projection.

If this show were Season 2 of a multi-Season series, rather than the first five episodes of a "mini-series", nobody would be complaining about a single thing they got, I feel. As it is, they were sort of promised one thing and got something not Exactly That. And that is a bit of dirty pool on Smith and Co.'s part but there's no taking it back now. People can accept it's not "really" a Filmation sequel and accept it as "A New Story Altogether With Lots of Familiar Elements", judge it on its own merits, or get hung up on minutiae. But if they do the latter, they're really just giving themselves heartburn for no real reason.

99% of the gripes are "Where's He-Man?" I love the guy too, but Judas Priest, some people need to just accept that they're telling Us the story and not the other way around. It's like screaming "Where's Spock?! I hate this movie!" at the screen while watching Star Trek III. He's dead for right now, whattya want? That's the story they chose to tell, oh well!

I feel like so long as a story as told well it can be what it wants to be. "It's not the story I would have told" - which is what MOST people are complaining about, essentially - is a bit unfair. And I'm speaking specifically to that "criticism" - and ONLY that criticism- because that's what most people review-bombing the show with 1 or 0-star "reviews" are saying the most often and loud. "No He-Man, no sale!" That's myopic. It's a myopic way of looking at things, I can't help it.

OH. Except for Tri-Klops's Stupid Hat. Anyone who throws a fit about that is 100% justified and gets a gold star for the day.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Glad the show is getting so much promotion. Hope it translates to new viewers.

Will never understand the Kevin Smith bashing...
    The Lurkiest

**Somebody please make me a Staghorn**

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeevesosiris View Post
    I can. He lied and caused a great deal of P.R damage.

Glad the show is getting so much promotion. Hope it translates to new viewers.

Made a bunch of terrible movies and is a shill and liar.

Aside from that MOTU is probably the best thing he has ever done.

Overall I still enjoyed Revelations.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Samurai View Post
    I can. He lied and caused a great deal of P.R damage.

I disagree.

He didn't lie... people interpreted what this show would be based on their own hopes and then attacked him when it was different to how they wanted it to be.

He said this was a Masters of a Universe Show not a He-man show (As the name suggests) So, instead of Superman - we have the Justice League.

He said it was a spiritually successor the the 80s show - and it is, it's set canonically after the Filmation show.

He said we were getting an aged up version of Filmation but with real consequences, jeopardy and peril - and that is exactly what we got, with a million little Easter Eggs to try and please us along the way.

The accusations against him were that this show as going to be about how Teela has to be a better He-man than Adam, which as we can now all clearly see - was the real lie here.
    The Lurkiest

I disagree.

He didn't lie... people interpreted what this show would be based on their own hopes and then attacked him when it was different to how they wanted it to be.

He said this was a Masters of a Universe Show not a He-man show (As the name suggests) So, instead of Superman - we have the Justice League.

He said it was a spiritually successor the the 80s show - and it is, it's set canonically after the Filmation show.

He said we were getting an aged up version of Filmation but with real consequences, jeopardy and peril - and that is exactly what we got, with a million little Easter Eggs to try and please us along the way.

The accusations against him were that this show as going to be about how Teela has to be a better He-man than Adam, which as we can now all clearly see - was the real lie here.
    Revisionist history and it is exhausting. Much of what you were attributing to KS was after he started backpeddling yet you hang onto the very first tweet rumor as your justification as to why they were the real liars. Much was said on both sides after that tweet and if you would go back and look at it you will see that KS indeed lied on many occasions and that a bait and switch did happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Feezle View Post
    Revisionist history and it is exhausting. Much of what you were attributing to KS was after he started backpeddling yet you hang onto the very first tweet rumor as your justification as to why they were the real liars. Much was said on both sides after that tweet and if you would go back and look at it you will see that KS indeed lied on many occasions and that a bait and switch did happen.
    I am not comfortable with people calling him a liar.

I don't think its accurate or appropriate to be honest.

Regardless though, why does this really matter? He made some comments that he wasn't always a fan then changed his story? Then clearly we should burn the man alive! We should judge the show based on the quality of the show. Down voting videos and giving bad reviews about this show is not going to hurt Kevin Smith, it's just going to hurt the franchise in general. Its self sabotage at it's worst.
    The Lurkiest

I am not comfortable with people calling him a liar.

I don't think its accurate or appropriate to be honest.

Regardless though, why does this really matter? He made some comments that he wasn't always a fan then changed his story? Then clearly we should burn the man alive! We should judge the show based on the quality of the show. Down voting videos and giving bad reviews about this show is not going to hurt Kevin Smith, it's just going to hurt the franchise in general. Its self sabotage at it's worst.
    You not being comfortable with something does not make it go away. It is most certainly accurate and it is out there for you to see if you care to. You donít have to if it is going to make you upset, but donít talk down on people who are upset by his words and actions and please donít deny that it happened. It was much more than him lying about being a fan. He is a very mean spirited person and that has come out in several recent interviews where he gloats about doing things just to set fans off. If you want to be angry about someone hurting the franchise, maybe you are looking in the wrong direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Feezle View Post
    You not being comfortable with something does not make it go away. It is most certainly accurate and it is out there for you to see if you care to. You donít have to if it is going to make you upset, but donít talk down on people who are upset by his words and actions and please donít deny that it happened. It was much more than him lying about being a fan. He is a very mean spirited person and that has come out in several recent interviews where he gloats about doing things just to set fans off. If you want to be angry about someone hurting the franchise, maybe you are looking in the wrong direction.
    To clarify... when I said I am not comfortable with it, I meant I don't think that attacking people is appropriate for this forum - or allowed by mods. You are calling somebody a liar and a mean spirited person, which feels like a personal attack on the guy.

I must admit I am still surprised that people are "upset" by Kevin Smith's actions in a tweet ten years ago or on a podcast... and again I am stating that I personally do not believe he lied. And even if he did, I still believe that attacking the show because you don't like Kevin Smith is counter productive if you want MOTU to do well and succeed. The show should be judged for what it is, not because a lot of Youtubers have decided to get together and sabotage Kevin Smith for his huge and upsetting betrayal.

I get people not liking the show. That's fine, but going out of your way to malign Smith and sink the show because of it's show runner is perplexing to me. I guess it comes down to this... if you hate Kevin Smith more than you want MOTU to succeed... then I don't understand you.
    The Lurkiest

I think the KS bashing is very two-dimensional. At Power-Con, he was very clear that he was still getting to know MOTU. I saw him on the exhibit floor, and you could see the man was in "data input" mode trying to learn all that he could. It's not a stretch to understand that he "became a believer" (a fan) after he understood the depth of the mythos. Beyond that, he needs to say what he needs to say in order to promote the show; once you understand that this is how the business work (good or bad), then it's less about who "lied" about what. Just remember Kenobi's words "From a certain point of view..."
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

I don't understand those who expected Kevin Smith to reveal the plot of the show because it leaked before release. When has anyone ever done that? PR spin is a part of the business, and no person or entity involved with these massive projects is going to corroborate leaks. It would only hurt potential viewing when it releases.

And I think most fans know that, including many MOTU fans upset with this situation, and that's why I also think those people aren't really upset Smith didn't tell the truth but rather they're upset it wasn't He-Man front and center like all the other MOTU media we've received over the last almost-40 years. They're disguising their anger as that because they know it sounds better to be upset about a lie than be upset Smith featured a strong female lead who was always a major character in the past.

All that should matter is whether or not the final product is good, and this one is. It's unfortunate that's apparently not enough for some fans, whom I would now say are probably He-Man fans and not MOTU fans.

^^^ Well stated.

Kevin Smith could not, nor should he have divulged the plot of the show...

Nothing he said was going to please everyone - and he knew this better than anybody.

Unfortunately, people online are equating "Well, I can't tell you the plot, just wait and see what happens!" to "I am a two-faced liar and I hate He-Man!!"

Also, this doesn't explain the massive amounts of personal attacks on his person, his family, his past work, his lifestyle-choices, etc. THAT is truly unwarranted.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

Personally (if I were KS) I'd lie all week long and twice on Sunday, but I'm NOT going to give away the plot or even confirm that the plot may or may not have been leaked. Then I'd release a fake trailer that actually confirms all of the rumors about the show, and then I'd pretend to defend/justify it until the real thing comes out. Some people just deserve to be trolled.

I do not understand the hate towards him, going on and on about him lying, as if he personally abused some fans. Physically.

And making that more important than wether the show is good or not.

His PR and what he divulged and what not, was not ideal.
    Yet the rampant hate towards him from some people is completely out of proportion Iím sorry.
    And *some* of it is not genuine about the franchise. You guys do know that there are people who literally enjoy creating outrage and anger and stirring the pot? Itís what the internet has become.

I love MOTU, and that love is strong enough that I can deal with some franchise decisions I donít agree with, like an adult.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by ehenyo View Post
    I think the KS bashing is very two-dimensional. At Power-Con, he was very clear that he was still getting to know MOTU. I saw him on the exhibit floor, and you could see the man was in "data input" mode trying to learn all that he could. It's not a stretch to understand that he "became a believer" (a fan) after he understood the depth of the mythos. Beyond that, he needs to say what he needs to say in order to promote the show; once you understand that this is how the business work (good or bad), then it's less about who "lied" about what. Just remember Kenobi's words "From a certain point of view..."
    It's weird that people seem to think people can't change their minds about things. I spent my entire life thinking I didn't like Godzilla because I caught Godzilla vs Megalon on TV at like two AM on New Year's one year. Then a few years ago, a friend of mine got me to watch Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla/Tokyo SOS, then I watched all of them and had a newfound appreciation for the series. Now I'm a massive fan of Goji (Shin Godzilla and the original are probably in my ten favorite films of all time).

Like, your opinion of a thing can change over time, especially if someone passionate about said thing reintroduces you to it.

On the subject of "Who Lied", most of the criticism I've seen of "Revelation" - or at least the most severe - goes well beyond "opinion" into outright statements of lies and misinformation. Especially about certain "themes" of the show and what they supposedly represent or symbolize. People saying the whole point of it is to be "_____ nonsense" and "_____ propaganda" and making up actual untruths to support their "opinion", to the point where they may as well be hallucinating because very little (if any) of what they say has anything to do with the facts of the matter.

I can't use the actual self-censored terms, but you can figure them out; they rhyme with "poke" and "Bess-Kay-Dubya", for the record.

So a lot of people - because they don't like that Teela got more screen time than He-Man - are in some cases quite literally making things up and shouting them at the top of their lungs, to scare people away from watching the show and in turn they're actively trying to tank it. It goes beyond "Opinions"; once you start actively trying to force a thing to fail by making up complete and total fabrications in order to "prove" and justify your position, that's pretty indefensible.

I'm sorry, to me that is WAY worse than anything Kevin Smith ever said, even if his words set people's expectations in a direction the show wasn't entirely prepared to follow. People took his "This show is ALL about He-Man, he's in every episode" words a bit TOO literally, and that's the singular main thing they keep shouting about. In the end, that's on them.

That's a half-truth. But a lot of the things people are saying about the show in order to review-bomb it and scare people off of it are NOT "opinions", or half-truths. They're lies. Entirely made-up and untrue. One can barely argue that it's a "point of view" or "this is how I interpret it" thing because I'd swear you'd have to be finding "___ propaganda" in your damn breakfast cereal in order to find anything significant to support that "opinion" of this show.

Kevin Smith told a few fibs and I got annoyed by that too. But what people are doing in "retaliation" for that? Way worse. WAY more dishonest. It's like being mad someone punched you in the arm and so you hit them in the head with a brick.

SOME of people have valid criticisms that are worthy of conversation. But "This show is just ____ nonsense and ____ propaganda disguised as a MOTU show!" is NOT valid. Because it's false. Patently, provably false.

I mean I'd say so if I saw any of that stuff in this show. I probably hated The Last Jedi MORE than most people, and a lot of that was because that movie actually DID do a lot of what others are accusing this show of doing, and I didn't like it at all (I also just thought it was a bad movie with unlikeable characters but I digress). In turn, it's really that movie that has some people seeing "____ propaganda" in their Corn Flakes and screaming about it. I get that. Tons of people still feeling the burn from that situation, and stuff like that does continue to happen in pop culture. Whether that's Good or Bad on the whole is a conversation.

But that's NOT what This Show IS, it's not what it does, and people claiming so are in fact WORSE than Kevin Smith lying about whether or not he was a He-Man fan, or whether or not He-Man or Teela was the main character.

I was worried that's what the show would be like, too. But it isn't. It's frustrating that some people have to literally just make things up rather than admit they were wrong.
    Last edited by Rikki Roxx; July 25, 2021 at 03:19am.

could someone post a video where KS lied about Revelation. I would like to make my own opinion.