Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 40

Thread: Snake Eyes Film (GI Joe)

  1. #1
    Co-Creator of the NV
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,198

    Snake Eyes Film (GI Joe)

    Didn't see a thread on this so thought I'd create one of my own.. also by didn't see, I mean that my cursory check didn't identify one, so I don't mind of this gets merged.

    I saw the movie today and have some mixed feelings.. I will probably go into more detail on my thoughts if and when others share their thoughts, but below are some highlights

    Going in I wasn't happy about any of the casting, but by and large they did a decent job. One piece of casting that I adored was the inclusion of Peter Mensah - he's always amazing and in this movie he also had the perfect character for him to play.

    From a story perspective, on its own , I enjoyed it. Good fighting, although am unfortunate lacking of ninjas wearing masks, and a serviceable story - but as an old school Joe fan, I'm not happy with the fact that this movie was about as faithful to the story anrd characterization of Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow, as the movie Catwoman.

    I also don't at all see how Snake Eyes is a master ninja or super skilled commando, which has always been a core part of his character.

    Interestingly, even with the criticisms above as well as the many many others that I havent typed , I still find myself liking it a lot. As much as I love these characters, I'm so starved for main stream ninja action that I'll take what I can get and I hope that this movie manages to do well enough for them to continue with the Joe movies.

  2. #2
    Heroic Warrior Neophron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    2,281
    I never knew that the G.I. Joe character Snake Eyes has his own movie. The actor who played him is Henry Golding. He was born to an English father and a Malaysian mother of Iban extraction in Kuching, the state capital of Sarawak in Malaysia.
    Try to reach inside of me, try to drain my energy
    Let me show you just what I'm made of
    Simple curiosity trying to take a bite of me
    Let me show you just what I'm made of now...

  3. #3
    Heroic Warrior Rikki Roxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    nWo Country
    Posts
    1,307
    One critic said it felt reminiscent of Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li, which is my current "bar" for "I'd rather give myself a lobotomy with a fish hook and a hacksaw than ever watch that movie again."

    My wife's a huge Joe mark so she kinda wanted to see it, but stuff like that along with reading that it really has nothing to do with the established lore has her a lot less enthusiastic. I'm only going to see it if she decides to watch it, and right now that seems unlikely.

    I don't think the current sociopolitical climate allows for something like G.I. Joe to be done properly. Not to get political or veer into Tar Swamp territory, but ever since 9/11 and everything that came after, a franchise about army guys fighting terrorists is about as hard of a sell as it was post-Vietnam.

    Of course, years after THAT G.I. Joe came back in the 80's to be stronger than it ever was before (or since), so it's not like there won't ever be a resurgence. It's definitely possible, I'm just not sure we're quite there yet.

    OR it could just be as simple as the people making G.I. Joe movies aren't very competent. Six of one, I guess.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

  4. #4
    Co-Creator of the NV
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,198
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikki Roxx View Post
    One critic said it felt reminiscent of Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li, which is my current "bar" for "I'd rather give myself a lobotomy with a fish hook and a hacksaw than ever watch that movie again."
    Honestly, I think that comparing it to Chun Li is pretty hyperbolic, so I don't agree with that critic.

    Here I think that by and large it was an okay movie- not mind blowing, but very enjoyable. But there are definitely a number of flaws in it, the biggest of which is that they pretty much ignored the characters established origins.

  5. #5
    Heroic Warrior Rikki Roxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    nWo Country
    Posts
    1,307
    I mean, I would hope. I'd think anyone making Legend of Chun-Li caliber movies ought'a be taken behind the woodshed and beaten with rubber hoses until they apologize for their crimes against both cinema and humanity.

    Seriously, you want "hyperbole"? Give me an unfiltered soapbox to rant about how much joy and innocence THAT movie sucked out of my life. I was literally no longer the same person after watching it as I was before.

    Not even a huge Street Fighter fanatic or anything, I just thought it was the worst thing I've ever seen that wasn't, like, puppy roadkill, or something like that. "HOW can this even be REAL?!"
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

  6. #6
    Co-Creator of the NV
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,198
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikki Roxx View Post
    I mean, I would hope. I'd think anyone making Legend of Chun-Li caliber movies ought'a be taken behind the woodshed and beaten with rubber hoses until they apologize for their crimes against both cinema and humanity.

    Seriously, you want "hyperbole"? Give me an unfiltered soapbox to rant about how much joy and innocence THAT movie sucked out of my life. I was literally no longer the same person after watching it as I was before.

    Not even a huge Street Fighter fanatic or anything, I just thought it was the worst thing I've ever seen that wasn't, like, puppy roadkill, or something like that. "HOW can this even be REAL?!"
    Ironically, that's how I reacted to Filmation MOTU when I saw it in my 20s. It wasn't just that I found it bad, which I did, but I so strongly remember loving the show as a kid. I just couldn't reconcile that the stuff I was watching was the same show that I loved when I was 5, and my head wanted to break.

  7. #7
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    1,112
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikki Roxx View Post
    One critic said it felt reminiscent of Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li, which is my current "bar" for "I'd rather give myself a lobotomy with a fish hook and a hacksaw than ever watch that movie again."

    My wife's a huge Joe mark so she kinda wanted to see it, but stuff like that along with reading that it really has nothing to do with the established lore has her a lot less enthusiastic. I'm only going to see it if she decides to watch it, and right now that seems unlikely.

    I don't think the current sociopolitical climate allows for something like G.I. Joe to be done properly. Not to get political or veer into Tar Swamp territory, but ever since 9/11 and everything that came after, a franchise about army guys fighting terrorists is about as hard of a sell as it was post-Vietnam.

    Of course, years after THAT G.I. Joe came back in the 80's to be stronger than it ever was before (or since), so it's not like there won't ever be a resurgence. It's definitely possible, I'm just not sure we're quite there yet.

    OR it could just be as simple as the people making G.I. Joe movies aren't very competent. Six of one, I guess.
    Honestly, as a post 9/11 kid, that was always something that turned me off of the concept. I mean, when I was small I was never like directly told about the situation (outside of 9/11 and I had a basic understanding of the WMD lie), but when I was younger, the news was basically always on. I heard about terrorist groups attacking real people and saw all those pictures and videos of bombed cities. That felt way too scary and real and turned me off of army toys entirely.

    Idk, I was more of a Lego kid or sci-fi/fantasy kid in general, anyway.

  8. #8
    Heroic Warrior Rikki Roxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    nWo Country
    Posts
    1,307
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    Ironically, that's how I reacted to Filmation MOTU when I saw it in my 20s. It wasn't just that I found it bad, which I did, but I so strongly remember loving the show as a kid. I just couldn't reconcile that the stuff I was watching was the same show that I loved when I was 5, and my head wanted to break.
    Awww, that's a shame.

    I never went through that because I still rented VHS tapes all through the period where the show was unavailable to be watched otherwise. So I was never disconnected from it and therefore never had any kind of shellshock upon seeing it again as an adult.

    There definitely ARE some 80s cartoons where I was shocked at how "bad" they were upon rediscovering them as an adult - or even stuff like Thundercats, which I wouldn't say is "bad" but I was definitely not very impressed with it as an adult - but I legitimately never counted MOTU among them.

    Although there were definitely SOME episodes of MOTU I hadn't seen since I was like 6 or 7 years old, which upon seeing them again as an adult I was like "....Ouch, that was pretty bad." But those were a definite minority.

    More to topic, I only watched G.I. Joe sporadically as a kid, and even then I mostly paid more attention to Baroness and Scarlett than what was actually going on (kind of a weird kid ). I only like "really" watched it when I got the Season 1 DVDs for my wife a few years ago. We both thought it was "fine" but weren't overwhelmingly impressed.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by BooperScoop View Post
    Honestly, as a post 9/11 kid, that was always something that turned me off of the concept. I mean, when I was small I was never like directly told about the situation (outside of 9/11 and I had a basic understanding of the WMD lie), but when I was younger, the news was basically always on. I heard about terrorist groups attacking real people and saw all those pictures and videos of bombed cities. That felt way too scary and real and turned me off of army toys entirely.

    Idk, I was more of a Lego kid or sci-fi/fantasy kid in general, anyway.
    I definitely remember that "playing Army guys" was definitely more of a thing when I was a kid in the 80s than it's ever been since. Like even aside from G.I. Joe, you'd go to toy stores and they'd have generic "Army Guy" figures and role-play toys all over the place. You don't see that anymore, like, at all.

    I think the Powers-That-Be have a legitimate concern about glorifying war and the military anymore, and that in turn has a trickle-down effect on the Joe franchise. Back In My Day, "Army Guy" was considered a much more noble and aspirational thing than it is nowadays, whereas - let's face it - it's since become pretty much demonized.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

  9. #9
    Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    7,318
    I turned on the television on Friday, expecting to be able to stream this, only to learn that it is only in theaters. All the theaters near me are closed, because of COVID, so I have to wait 45 days until it is on VOD. Even then, I might not stream it, because they are insisting on making it exclusive to Paramount+ because they are still trying to make that happen. I am not getting another streaming service, and then paying a premium for this movie on top of that.

  10. #10
    Life is good Dice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    6,088
    One of my kids watched this today, only having seen the live action Joe films prior.

    He loved it and believes that there will definitely be a sequel.

    I plan to see it soon now believing it will be at least a good action movie.
    "To a great mind, nothing is little."

  11. #11
    Co-Creator of the NV
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,198
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    One of my kids watched this today, only having seen the live action Joe films prior.

    He loved it and believes that there will definitely be a sequel.

    I plan to see it soon now believing it will be at least a good action movie.
    I hope he's right about the sequel, but dont think it's too likely.

    The movie was totally designed with a sequel in mind, but I hear it's not doing well at the box office.

  12. #12
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    398
    This movie felt like some other movie that got turned in the last minute into a G.I. Joe movie.
    And then my friend said this:

    "This is just a remake of American Ninja, with Joe crammed into it"

    Me: "Yeah! Holy 'bleep'."


  13. #13
    President of Primus Ornclown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    The Tri-Solar System
    Posts
    8,189
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    I hope he's right about the sequel, but dont think it's too likely.

    The movie was totally designed with a sequel in mind, but I hear it's not doing well at the box office.
    Weren't the last live action movies supposed to be a trilogy as well?
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

    **Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

    >>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

  14. #14
    Heroic Warrior Mark M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    3,056
    Larry Hama has been doing quite a bit of promotion for the movie on social media.

    I really hope the movie is better than the previous movies.

  15. #15
    Master of Physics VZX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,797
    I saw it with my son at a 1:15 pm showing on opening day. Sure, it's an early showing, but we were still the only two people in that theater on opening day. Not a good sign for its success.

    Anyway, I did not like the movie. As a Joe fan, I was very disappointed. As a movie fan, I was extremely disappointed. As a ninja fan, I was only moderately disappointed.

    I'll state what I liked: The costumes looked good, especially Scarlett's. The setting looked cool. Some of the acting was on point.

    OK, that's it.

    Speaking of Scarlett, she may be one of the worst actresses I have ever seen. She was horrid. It's like they went out of their way to cast a terrible actress.

    But I think the worst part of the movie is that Snake Eyes talks the entire movie! I mean, for a character whose most defining feature is being mute, it is never brought up the entire movie! Not even in the after-credits!

    I just can't.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

  16. #16
    Heroic Warrior Iluvart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    811
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    Didn't see a thread on this so thought I'd create one of my own.. also by didn't see, I mean that my cursory check didn't identify one, so I don't mind of this gets merged.

    I saw the movie today and have some mixed feelings.. I will probably go into more detail on my thoughts if and when others share their thoughts, but below are some highlights

    Going in I wasn't happy about any of the casting, but by and large they did a decent job. One piece of casting that I adored was the inclusion of Peter Mensah - he's always amazing and in this movie he also had the perfect character for him to play.

    From a story perspective, on its own , I enjoyed it. Good fighting, although am unfortunate lacking of ninjas wearing masks, and a serviceable story - but as an old school Joe fan, I'm not happy with the fact that this movie was about as faithful to the story anrd characterization of Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow, as the movie Catwoman.

    I also don't at all see how Snake Eyes is a master ninja or super skilled commando, which has always been a core part of his character.

    Interestingly, even with the criticisms above as well as the many many others that I havent typed , I still find myself liking it a lot. As much as I love these characters, I'm so starved for main stream ninja action that I'll take what I can get and I hope that this movie manages to do well enough for them to continue with the Joe movies.
    Compared to the two previous Joe films, would you say this one is better, or just different? I haven't seen it, so was wondering.

    Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    But I think the worst part of the movie is that Snake Eyes talks the entire movie! I mean, for a character whose most defining feature is being mute, it is never brought up the entire movie! Not even in the after-credits!
    Why did they do that .... ?

  17. #17
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    398
    Quote Originally Posted by Iluvart View Post
    Compared to the two previous Joe films, would you say this one is better, or just different? I haven't seen it, so was wondering.
    Tastes in movies being subjective and all that, for me it was the worst of the 3.

  18. #18
    Life is good Dice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    6,088
    Quote Originally Posted by tnktrk View Post
    Tastes in movies being subjective and all that, for me it was the worst of the 3.



    Well dang. My son that saw it has no other interest in the franchise so anything non-canon wouldn't even show up on his radar.


    How was the guy that played Storm Shadow?
    "To a great mind, nothing is little."

  19. #19
    Co-Creator of the NV
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,198
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    Weren't the last live action movies supposed to be a trilogy as well?
    Don't know if it was meant to be a trilogy per se, or just something that continued, but they did plan to do a third movie, which never happened.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Iluvart View Post
    Compared to the two previous Joe films, would you say this one is better, or just different? I haven't seen it, so was wondering.
    Different I'd say, although I must confess that I very much liked the extended edition of the second one.

    This movie flat out is not a GI Joe movie at all. It has a few of their main characters, bur the Joes are only mentioned in passing a handful of times.

  20. #20
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    398
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post

    How was the guy that played Storm Shadow?
    He was probably the best part, I guess.

    This movie was really a Yakuza movie, or like my friend said a remake/reboot of American Ninja, which the more I think of it, the more I can see.
    Paramount was bashing their heads on how to make a new G.I. Joe movie when this script came across their desk and they said "[email protected]!* it, let's use this. We'll just cram some Joe stuff into it."

  21. #21
    Heroic Warrior Reviews2D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Location
    Fright zone
    Posts
    602
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikki Roxx View Post
    Awww, that's a shame.

    I never went through that because I still rented VHS tapes all through the period where the show was unavailable to be watched otherwise. So I was never disconnected from it and therefore never had any kind of shellshock upon seeing it again as an adult.

    There definitely ARE some 80s cartoons where I was shocked at how "bad" they were upon rediscovering them as an adult - or even stuff like Thundercats, which I wouldn't say is "bad" but I was definitely not very impressed with it as an adult - but I legitimately never counted MOTU among them.

    Although there were definitely SOME episodes of MOTU I hadn't seen since I was like 6 or 7 years old, which upon seeing them again as an adult I was like "....Ouch, that was pretty bad." But those were a definite minority.

    More to topic, I only watched G.I. Joe sporadically as a kid, and even then I mostly paid more attention to Baroness and Scarlett than what was actually going on (kind of a weird kid ). I only like "really" watched it when I got the Season 1 DVDs for my wife a few years ago. We both thought it was "fine" but weren't overwhelmingly impressed.

    - - - Updated - - -



    I definitely remember that "playing Army guys" was definitely more of a thing when I was a kid in the 80s than it's ever been since. Like even aside from G.I. Joe, you'd go to toy stores and they'd have generic "Army Guy" figures and role-play toys all over the place. You don't see that anymore, like, at all.

    I think the Powers-That-Be have a legitimate concern about glorifying war and the military anymore, and that in turn has a trickle-down effect on the Joe franchise. Back In My Day, "Army Guy" was considered a much more noble and aspirational thing than it is nowadays, whereas - let's face it - it's since become pretty much demonized.
    Was someone born post 9/11 I cant really call seeing any army toys growing up. I think someone gifted me a couple of soldiers but I think those where thrown away. I never got into to Joe some my experience and knowledge with the comes from Transformers and the community. So that would mean people complaining about Classified and not being able to have their S7 hooded commander
    Princesses of Power enthusiast

  22. #22
    Heroic Dad, Teacher, Nerd Uki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    The Woodlands,Tx
    Posts
    13,144
    My daughter wants to see this. Neither of us is exactly a big Joe fan, but she digs ninjas. I'm not super well-versed in the lore either, so we'll see.
    MOTU Origins Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Anti-Eternia Characters, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

    Instagram: Just_Thommy
    Hermione's Toy Box on Youtube (GIVEAWAY in Progress!): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8C...xlwUttPSJAUZMA

  23. #23
    Heroic Warrior Amentep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Fawcett City
    Posts
    532
    Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    Speaking of Scarlett, she may be one of the worst actresses I have ever seen. She was horrid. It's like they went out of their way to cast a terrible actress.
    Weird, Samara Weaving was quite good in the horror film READY OR NOT.

    I liked the character looks in the trailer, but the trailer itself didn't do anything for me. Might see it at home eventually.

    And to those who saw The Legend of Chun-Li, all I have to say is: "Nash out!"

  24. #24
    +2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,239
    I know I've probably said it before in the Classified thread, but I have never for one moment had an ounce of hope that this movie would be a good G.I. Joe or Snake Eyes movie.
    This one will definitely be a "wait until it's 'free' on cable/netfilx/etc." for me.

    Quote Originally Posted by BooperScoop View Post
    Honestly, as a post 9/11 kid, that was always something that turned me off of the concept. I mean, when I was small I was never like directly told about the situation (outside of 9/11 and I had a basic understanding of the WMD lie), but when I was younger, the news was basically always on. I heard about terrorist groups attacking real people and saw all those pictures and videos of bombed cities. That felt way too scary and real and turned me off of army toys entirely.

    Idk, I was more of a Lego kid or sci-fi/fantasy kid in general, anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reviews2D View Post
    Was someone born post 9/11 I cant really call seeing any army toys growing up. I think someone gifted me a couple of soldiers but I think those where thrown away. I never got into to Joe some my experience and knowledge with the comes from Transformers and the community. So that would mean people complaining about Classified and not being able to have their S7 hooded commander
    It's interesting to hear y'all's perspective. Do you guys even remember seeing G.I. Joe stuff on toy shelves when you were young? There definitely was G.I. Joe product out for most of your lives; you probably were just so uninterested you looked right by it. Not to derail the thread or anything, but how the heck did y'all get into Motu being born after 9/11? I know the 200x show existed, but you guys would've been infants at best.

  25. #25
    Co-Creator of the NV
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,198
    Quote Originally Posted by tnktrk View Post
    He was probably the best part, I guess.

    This movie was really a Yakuza movie, or like my friend said a remake/reboot of American Ninja, which the more I think of it, the more I can see.
    Paramount was bashing their heads on how to make a new G.I. Joe movie when this script came across their desk and they said "[email protected]!* it, let's use this. We'll just cram some Joe stuff into it."
    I don't at all see why this would be seem as a reboot of American Ninja - it has just as little to do with with story as it does to Snake Eyes real origin.

    In American ninja, Joe was taught martial arts by a Japanese ninja master when he was a child, and has no memory before the age of 16. Until later in the movie he doesn't really remember his training and does it all on instinct. Furthermore he's a generally quiet and aloof individual and is in the army -- absolutely none of this is true for Snake Eyes. His ninja training happened as an adult, he's got a vendetta to deal with, isn't particularly quiet and has zero military training. To be honest, Joe from the American Ninja movies is arguably closer to Snake Eyes' characterization than this movie was.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •