Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: She-Ra and the fall of MOTU

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayk View Post
    Really 80s?
    I thought it was 90 and 91 era
    Ok. Thanks for letting me know
    It's a situation of you both being right. They were an underground comic in mid-80's but the popularity didn't hit until the cartoon and toys and even then it was a slow buildup for a couple of years before taking over the entire world like a runaway train.

The toys and cartoon started around 1988 and ran through 1997. So technically it started in the 80's... but the vast majority of their claim to fame was the #1 product of the 90's

Personally, I think of them as 90's. They aren't quite in the same Venn diagram as He-man, Transformers, GI Joe and Thundercats... There's a LITTLE overlap, but they came 'after'.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    It's a situation of you both being right. They were an underground comic in mid-80's but the popularity didn't hit until the cartoon and toys and even then it was a slow buildup for a couple of years before taking over the entire world like a runaway train.

The toys and cartoon started around 1988 and ran through 1997. So technically it started in the 80's... but the vast majority of their claim to fame was the #1 product of the 90's

Personally, I think of them as 90's. They aren't quite in the same Venn diagram as He-man, Transformers, GI Joe and Thundercats... There's a LITTLE overlap, but they came 'after'.
    I will have to correct you here. Mighty Morphing Power Rangers was the top toy line of the 90's. TMNT sold more in 87-90, thus 80's.

Call Your Champion Voodoo Magic's Avatar
    For me, yes, it was She-Ra. As a kid I went to see "The Secret of the Sword" in theaters and got the little minicomic, and I tried to get into the show, but the She-Ra series just didn't do it for me like He-man did. So, my interest faded, and I moved on to other things.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by oansun View Post
    I will have to correct you here. Mighty Morphing Power Rangers was the top toy line of the 90's. TMNT sold more in 87-90, thus 80's.
    Nope, don't buy that. Power Rangers were huge for sure, but The TMNT movie didn't hit until 1990. There were still two movies after that, the pudding pies, the Pizza Hut promotions, pillow cases. EVERYTHING was Half-shell as far as the eyes could see. All of which came after the movie. Mighty Morphin Power Rangers didn't air till 1993 and probably played a big part in killing the turtles by 1997... but in the 90's they were massive.

Just looking at the figure lists... there were 24 figures released in the 80's 10 in 88, and 14 in 89... 26 in 1990. 44 in 1991... and every till 1995 was doubling the released figures through 1995 for a total of 348 figures released between 1990 and and 1997 as opposed to the mere 24 in the 80's.

Which is really kind of impressive considering even though they COULD have reused a lot of molds... most of the TMNT figures were pretty unique sculpts....

It should be fairly simple to find out which property brought in more income between specific years (like, I don't know, 1990 through 1993 for TMNT and 1993 through 1996 for MMPR).

I mean I'M not gonna do it because I'm lazy. But the hard data should be pretty easy to find with a little Google-Fu.

Whenever I so much as speculate that MOTU at its peak might've been a little bigger than TMNT was at its peak, even if just for a minute, there's no shortage of people jumping in with "Nuh-UH!" and the links to back them up. So I'm sure it shouldn't be too different in this case.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

I will give my opinion on this one.

As far as I am aware, and I am relying on memory here, but if I recall correctly, I think the She-ra series was made to attract a female audience (but somehow I don't think the Horde would of been that appealing to a young female audience at the time, but that is my opinion, so maybe have an element to keep a male audience? I don't know, it been too long.)

As far as I am aware, the show was to help sell toys at the time, so please correct me if I am wrong. The only thing I know the toy line was specific for girls (I don't think girls back then were to keen on getting the Horde lol). So as the girls get the She-ra figures, most likely the guys at the time were busy getting Transformers.

I recall Secret of The Sword (or first 5 episodes) and for the time, that was very well made. Then the following year came Transformers The Movie.

But as for fall of MOTU in general, I have to admit, at the time, MOTU was very hard to beat. But then came Transformers. As much as I enjoyed MOTU in my younger years, when Transformers came, this was a whole new level.

Ah, if only the voice of Horde Prime in the 1980s could of been voice by Orson Wells (Unicron from Transformers The Movie).

From what I have heard She-Ra was more so meant to capitalize on the already existing female audience which was always larger than usual. The Horde was designed for the He-Man line and the line continued along with She-Ra despite Flimation only producing POP. The Transformers cartoon (as well as other media) debuted in 84, one year after the He-man cartoon came out. The 86 movie also came out about a year after Secret of the Sword but Transformers would begin it's decline in popularly after the 86 movie for various reasons.
    Princesses of Power enthusiast

Heroic Warrior
    I'll guess that MOTU captured a generation of young kids and they all rode the wave together for those 5 or 6 years. Then those kids got a little older, jumped off that wave and moved on to other things. The wave then settled back into the water and that was it.

It's like they hooked one group of kids at that particular time and stuck with that group through the entire ride. But they failed to capture any more kids as the years went on. For example a 7 year old in 1983 was hooked into the series and stayed until they were 12 (which would have been 1988 by then). What Mattel should have been doing was capturing more 7 year olds at this time (1988) to keep everything afloat, but in the year 1988 all they were selling were the last waves of characters like Extendar, Blast-Attak, and all the oddball figures. A 7 year old at that time couldn't buy a He-Man or Skeletor action figure because they weren't for sale anymore- just newer, unknown characters like Dragstor, SnoutSpout, etc. They should have been selling the original lines (wave 1, 2, etc) during the entire 5 or 6 years, which would allow for newer kids to get into the game and get a He-Man or Skeletor or Man-at-Arms no matter what year it was. But then how could they do that with so many eventual figures and limited shelf space. They would have had to rent shelf space for what, 100 figures? And multiples of each? Wouldn't have worked.

I think it was always intended to be a "one-time-deal" and they were gonna ride that wave for as long as possible, knowing full well that it was going to run out of gas within a few years, with no intentions of prolonging it. Kind of like get in there, make their money for as long as they they can, then get out when it's over.
    Last edited by tpi; September 3, 2021 at 01:55am.