Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Vaccinations for all

So you preferred Covid to stay here for a lifetime so there's always some conspiracy to gossip about, classic.

Playing a three-hour Rush show is like running a marathon while solving equations.

I prefer that people use their brains and face reality instead of living in fear and waiting on ever changing instructions from bureaucrats.

Oh yeah, and newsflash, covid isn't going anywhere regardless of how many masks you wear, shots you get, or however you long stay holed up in your apartment.

Fauci says COVID-19 won't go away like smallpox, but will more likely become endemic
    https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...-like-smallpox
    Dr. Anthony Fauci, the top White House medical adviser, says that the coronavirus pandemic won't end with the elimination of the virus. Instead, he says that a less dangerous and disruptive strain of the virus will likely take hold and become endemic.

Speaking Monday at the World Economic Forum's Davos Agenda, Fauci said scientists don't know how exactly the pandemic will finally play out and that it's important "to be openly honest about that."

However, he said "if you look at the history of infectious diseases, we've only eradicated one infectious disease in man, and that's smallpox. That's not going to happen with this virus."
    And did you seriously just skip over the articles and information stating that states with high shot rates also have the highest cases and hospitalizations? Talk about denial!

Last edited by UsernameMDM; May 21, 2022 at 05:03pm.

Quote Originally Posted by UsernameMDM View Post
    Pfizerís Covid Vaccine Protection Against Omicron Fades Just Weeks After Second And Third Doses, Study Finds
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/roberth...h=53ce436632af
    Good job I didn't receive the Pfizer vaccine then
    Demand quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Zentron View Post
    Good job I didn't receive the Pfizer vaccine then
    LOTS of people did though because they believed what they were told.

We have a Covid tracker app on our phones called Mysejahtera and for awhile were denied the entry of any public venue unless we used it and showed guards that we were still registered as vaccinated or uninfected.

Covid boosters were mandatory for a time. In fact, not getting the booster resulted in the revoking of our vaccinated status.

I assumed that this system would never go away as it gave our government tremendous control over the populace.
    Much to my surprise, while masks are required, we no longer have to present our vaccinated 'papers' to venue guards.

I assume covid will magically spike again around election time...
    Last edited by binkibonsai; May 21, 2022 at 09:58pm.

Vote with your wallet.

Companies will stop predatory business practices when we stop rewarding it and scrabbling for the newest shiny like brain-damaged junkies.

I was pleasantly surprised when I went to go see Guns N Roses last August. Aside from the event being No Cash, it was pretty much business as usual. I had my paperwork in my pocket from the most recent negative Covid test, but nobody asked for it. None of the vendors wore masks, and out of the estimated 40,000 attendees I only personally saw maybe 15 or 20 people all night wearing one. I guess maybe because it was an outdoor show things were a bit more relaxed. But aside from that, Covid apparently has always feared NJ anyway. We're too tough for that stuff over here.

A few of my friends and my wife's family had a bout of it as recently as last week, but all of them only got the "two-day cold" version. The flu bug that I and a bunch of other people got hit with last month was apparently much worse. At least, I assume it was the flu; my Covid test once again came back negative, and a few of my friends (and their kids) got hit with the same thing I had, and the ones who went to the hospital over it were told it was a flu bug.

I only stopped coughing heavily from that thing about four days ago, finally, despite it being a month ago already (I still have a very minor lingering cough but it's so benign I mostly don't even notice it); my wife's cousin got Covid last week, had only the most minor of symptoms (she initially thought it was pollen allergies), and was back to work in three days. Hard not to be a little bit bitter if you're in my position, y'know what I mean? Ah well.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Don't worry, the Monkey Pox is coming just in time to replace covid hysteria.

Heroic sculptor of toys Battle_Brak's Avatar
    Anecdotally, 7 people I knew personally died of Covid. None were vaccinated. I donít know anyone vaccinated who had more than a cold if they still caught it. Iíve been vaccinated and received multiple boosters because I have autoimmune issues and often have to take drugs that suppress my immune system. I have so far avoided catching it at all. This is also reflected by the preponderance of data. The vaccines work, and even with breakthrough cases they limit the severity of the illness.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ProteinNerd View Post
    Monkey pox is no where near as communicable or dangerous as Covid. Also highly effective vaccines for it have existed for hundreds of years. The first smallpox vaccine that Washingtonís army used was based on a weakened strain of monkey pox.
    Check out my artwork: https://aarondoyle.artstation.com/

Quote Originally Posted by binkibonsai View Post

I assume covid will magically spike again around election time...

I believe Covid spike supposed to be during holiday's season like Eid ul Fitr, or even Deepavali or Chinese New Year. I doubt that Election would be an issue over spreading the covid, like how we gone through both Johor and Melaka's election.

Playing a three-hour Rush show is like running a marathon while solving equations.

Quote Originally Posted by Battle_Brak View Post
    Anecdotally, 7 people I knew personally died of Covid. None were vaccinated. I donít know anyone vaccinated who had more than a cold if they still caught it.
    This has been my experience as well. I knew 5 people who passed away from Covid, and none of them were vaccinated. I know at least 15 other people who had Covid, were all vaccinated, and they are fine.

Master of New Adventures!
    Thank you for your continuing concern and compassion about my health issues. As I've said before, that means a great deal to me. I'm so happy to say I'm finally back at full strength -- 560 push-ups and 560 stair declines three days a week and forty minutes on my treadmill three days a week and a VERY healthy lifestyle.

On the other issues, agreed that the novel 1984 was (is) amazing. That said, imo the film version -- along with THE GODFATHER and MISERY -- was one of the few that lived up to the book. Very watchable. My suggestion is for him to read the novel then view the film. It's a one-two wake-up call gut punch.

Or read the book (which I am assuming is better...or worse depending how you look at it. ).

Hope you're well Jack!
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; May 23, 2022 at 02:16pm.

Heroic sculptor of toys Battle_Brak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Thank you for your continuing concern and compassion about my health issues. As I've said before, that means a great deal to me. I'm so happy to say I'm finally back at full strength -- 560 push-ups three days a week, 560 stair declines three days a week and forty minutes on my treadmill three days a week and a VERY healthy lifestyle.

On the other issues, agreed that the novel 1984 was (is) amazing. That said, imo the film version -- along with THE GODFATHER and MISERY -- was one of the few that lived up to the book. Very watchable. My suggestion is for him to read the novel then view the film. It's a one-two wake-up call gut punch.
    So glad for your health! Iím working on mine too. Itís hard work but worth it. The Godfather is one of the few cases where the movie is better than the book, and in my opinion by a significant margin. And Misery is also a great adaptation. Iíve never seen a movie version of 1984. Iíll have to check it out.
    Check out my artwork: https://aarondoyle.artstation.com/

Thank you, BB. Indeed it is hard work, but the alternative is not very appealing.

As for the film version of Orwell's novel, the original was from 1956. The remark was (no joke) from 1984. Imo they were both excellent.

So glad for your health! Iím working on mine too. Itís hard work but worth it. The Godfather is one of the few cases where the movie is better than the book, and in my opinion by a significant margin. And Misery is also a great adaptation. Iíve never seen a movie version of 1984. Iíll have to check it out.

Anecdotally, 7 people I knew personally died of Covid. None were vaccinated. I don’t know anyone vaccinated who had more than a cold if they still caught it. I’ve been vaccinated and received multiple boosters because I have autoimmune issues and often have to take drugs that suppress my immune system. I have so far avoided catching it at all. This is also reflected by the preponderance of data. The vaccines work, and even with breakthrough cases they limit the severity of the illness.

- - - Updated - - -
    And I know of people who died after being "fully vaccinated". And if you look at the data for unvaccinated who died, you'll see the overwhelming majority were in poor health to very poor health to begin with. Unfortunately, cvd was just the last box to be ticked.

Sorry, but I am beginning to disagree with your last statement as reflected by the rise of cases and hospitalizations in areas with high participation in the shots. It's the long game that counts.

Glad you have seemed to skip over it all so far.

Monkey pox is no where near as communicable or dangerous as Covid. Also highly effective vaccines for it have existed for hundreds of years. The first smallpox vaccine that Washington’s army used was based on a weakened strain of monkey pox.
    Don't worry though, I'm sure it will be milked for all it's worth!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ProteinNerd View Post

NP man! Hope you get to feeling better soon! What kind of exercise regime do they have you on for heart attack/stroke?

I want to take this opportunity to once again thank you, UsernameMDM, for voicing your thoughts about my health. I've always thought that one of the wonderful things about he-man.org is that whenever one of us is hurting, everyone temporarily puts aside their belief systems and politics in order to be supportive of those who need it. During a difficult two years, this happened for me on more occasions than I can count. It meant the world to me and to my family, all of whom were delighted to read posts and PMs to me during those dark days. On a night when I was having significant pain during recovery -- a night when I was confronting my own mortality -- Kim told me I'm fortunate to be a member of such a forum. I told her I'm not fortunate...I'm blessed. That blessing helped to sustain and strengthen me and I'm grateful to all -- and especially to Val for his he-man.org leadership.

I want to take this opportunity to once again thank you, UsernameMDM, for voicing your thoughts about my health. I've always thought that one of the wonderful things about he-man.org is that whenever one of us is hurting, everyone temporarily puts aside their belief systems and politics in order to be supportive of those who need it. During a difficult two years, this happened for me on more occasions than I can count. It meant the world to me and to my family, all of whom were delighted to read posts and PMs to me during those dark days. On a night when I was having significant pain during recovery -- a night when I was confronting my own mortality -- Kim told me I'm fortunate to be a member of such a forum. I told her I'm not fortunate...I'm blessed. That blessing helped to sustain and strengthen me and I'm grateful to all -- and especially to Val for his he-man.org leadership.
    NP Bro! Stay swole & out on control! Get out and enjoy that sun!

‹ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Sorry, but I am beginning to disagree with your last statement as reflected by the rise of cases and hospitalizations in areas with high participation in the shots. It's the long game that counts.

Glad you have seemed to skip over it all so far.
    It is because it is not worth addressing. There are more hospitalizations, but there are also more people too. What is the rate of hospitilization compared to unvaccinated areas? And are the hospitalized themselves unvaccinated? And are the hospitalized infected with a strain that is not covered by the current vaccines? There is stunningly little information presented to draw those conclusions, so what is there to address? Besides the fact that over one-million Americans are dead, and you are posting memes.

Definitely swole. Definitely lots of sun. But I don't know about out of control. I'm seventy-three now, brother, and another thing that's definite is that I'm slowing down a bit. It's why I've been mostly staying away from The Tar Swamp and letting you younger orgers duke it out. Lately, for me, the view from the sidelines is pretty good most of the time.

NP Bro! Stay swole & out on control! Get out and enjoy that sun!
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; May 23, 2022 at 03:57pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    It is because it is not worth addressing. There are more hospitalizations, but there are also more people too. What is the rate of hospitilization compared to unvaccinated areas? And are the hospitalized themselves unvaccinated? And are the hospitalized infected with a strain that is not covered by the current vaccines? There is stunningly little information presented to draw those conclusions, so what is there to address? Besides the fact that over one-million Americans are dead, and you are posting memes.
    It's not worth addressing but cases and hospitalizations were all the rage back when the shots supposedly stopped infection and transmission, right?

I literally posted links to all the questions you asked AND memes! Try a little at least.

- - - Updated - - -

And are the hospitalized infected with a strain that is not covered by the current vaccines?
    Keep getting those pokes bro, it will work one day!

‹ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    It's not worth addressing but cases and hospitalizations were all the rage back when the shots supposedly stopped infection and transmission, right?
    It is barely a coherent thought, let alone an argument of any substance.

I literally posted links to all the questions you asked AND memes! Try a little at least.
    Why should I when you are trying the least out of everyone?

Keep getting those pokes bro, it will work one day!
    Multiple people posted about losing unvaccinated loved ones to COVID, and you are not only spreading misinformation about the efficacy of vaccines, but you are making jokes about it. I would say you should be ashamed of yourself, but you are clearly incapable of it. Instead you ought to be banned, because evidently consequences are the only thing you understand.

So -- and no absolutely snakiness intended here -- do you feel it was a mistake or at least a waste of time for someone like me who is 73 years old, has an increased risk because of a mild heart attack and a mini-stroke and is in a demographic group that is 6 times more likely to be hospitalized if I contract COVID and 12 times more likely to die if hospitalized to have gotten my two Pfizer shots and two boosters?

LOTS of people did though because they believed what they were told.

Heroic Warrior
    Multiple people posted about losing unvaccinated loved ones to COVID, and you are not only spreading misinformation about the efficacy of vaccines, but you are making jokes about it. I would say you should be ashamed of yourself, but you are clearly incapable of it. Instead you ought to be banned, because evidently consequences are the only thing you understand.
    It's shocking just how cavalier and careless someone could be about such a serious subject. At times it's felt like the conspiracy corners of twitter in this thread.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

So -- and no absolutely snakiness intended here -- do you feel it was a mistake or at least a waste of time for someone like me who is 73 years old, has an increased risk because of a mild heart attack and a mini-stroke and is in a demographic group that is 6 times more likely to be hospitalized if I contract COVID and 12 times more likely to die if hospitalized to have gotten my two Pfizer shots and two boosters?
    Question was not addressed to me, but given how my wife's grandmother died last year from "complications" I feel like chiming in anyway.

My honest answer is, "It's tough to say."

For what it's worth, Gram was the only person I, my wife, or anyone in our collective families knows personally who died of anything Covid-related. She was in her 90s, had the vaccine and had recently received the first booster (the only one available at that specific moment in time). She was living with her elderly, retired son and his wife, who were also vaccinated and boosted. All of them were doing their due diligence along the way. The son is right around your age, Jack, maybe a year older or younger, I forget; I think he had a comparatively minor heart problem at some point a few years ago but again, I don't specifically remember.

Somehow, the son and his wife still contracted Covid, within a month or so after receiving the booster, despite not going out much or doing anything some would call "reckless". I'd imagine they probably picked it up while grocery shopping or something, but obviously there's no way to know. In any case, they in turn unwittingly passed it on to Gram since they were living in the same house. The son and his wife had very minor symptoms and were over it in a few days; however, Gram was not so fortunate, as she immediately had some of the most severe symptoms and was rushed to the hospital, where she spent a few days suffering and pleading to die before she finally passed. I think she was in a coma on the final day, but again, I forget the specifics, such as whether it was medically-induced or not. My mother-in-law would know but I'm not inclined to ask because as you may imagine it is a very sensitive subject even still.

So in all honesty... I am not sure what or how to think about any of it. I wouldn't go so far as to say literally "it was a waste of time", because I definitely think that the most at-risk people, the elderly and the immunocompromised, are exactly who should exercise the most precaution. That's just common sense.

But on the flip side... did it ultimately do any good, in Gram's case? She did what she was told to do, and in spite of it all, she still became a statistic. The fact that she had literally just gotten boosted a few weeks prior was impossible for us to ignore, quite frankly. Three people living in the same house, all vaccinated, nonetheless contracted Covid and one of them didn't make it. On some level, a person could be forgiven for asking, "So WHAT was the point?" And in that, I completely understand peoples' skepticism.

So I'm very, very torn about it. I don't think it was a waste of time, but yet it's hard to not be bitter about the irony of the situation. I know a ton of people who never got vaccinated and haven't had so much as a cold in three years... yet the one person I know who died, did everything she was supposed to do and it didn't make a difference. It sucks. It's like some cruel, cosmic practical joke or something.

A friend of mine who's blunt but well-meaning assessed it as basically, when you're 90-something a stiff breeze could put you out, and I guess that's true. Gram's son and his wife, in their 70s, were fine in a few days when they got Covid. So I guess maybe the shots did help them. They didn't prevent them getting sick, but they got over it very quickly and never had it "too badly". Perhaps Gram was just too old and frail for it to matter either way. Conversely, as mentioned, my unvaccinated friends and family either never had Covid at all, OR had it but had few-to-no symptoms. Anecdotally, I have to point out for the sake of honesty and transparency, where I live it is in fact the vaccinated people who've gotten it more often and severely. This is simply an observation.

What does it all mean? I have no idea. There's no consistency about any of this and there hasn't been since the start. Thus, as I've mentioned, I can totally forgive anyone being skeptical when you see things like that. Any individual can only truly call it from where they see it.

Likewise, I feel like everyone should take whatever precautions they deem necessary for themselves, while also allowing for the fact that in the long run, it might not matter anyway. I don't think reasonable precautions are ever "a waste of time" regardless of scenario. But at the same time, a person should recognize that you can take every precaution available and it still might not matter in the end. People sometimes die in car crashes while wearing seatbelts. It's awful, but that's life. I always think of what my father, who was Catholic, would say in such situations: "When your number's up, it's up. None of it's up to you." Morbid, perhaps, but its consistent with what I've seen of this world.

So I guess my reply to the question of, "Is getting the shots a waste of time" would be "No, BUT..." Reasonable precautions are never "a waste of time" and people at risk should protect themselves.

But it might not ultimately help, is the thing. As someone who's been sick more often than most people ever have been or will be, I know all too well that if you catch something, it's not a matter of precaution so much as dumb luck. I've had people cough directly in my face and not caught whatever they had, and I've gotten deathly ill from something that was probably carried on the air despite not being around any openly sick people. It's all random.

But since it IS all random, I don't think a person taking precautions is a waste of time. Rather the opposite. But I strongly think people should be realistic that something still might happen anyway.

Long answer/reply to a question that wasn't addressed to me. But again, I felt compelled to chime in since the only person we've lost to Covid was a fully-vaccinated elderly person with immediate family in your age bracket, Jack. So I'd say, continue to take those precautions but it might not hurt to cross your fingers and pray to your denominational figure of choice anyway, because absolutely nothing is guaranteed.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Quote Originally Posted by chuc98 View Post
    It's shocking just how cavalier and careless someone could be about such a serious subject. At times it's felt like the conspiracy corners of twitter in this thread.
    That's because it is.
    Looking for any specific Classics figures? Let me know via PM what you might be looking for and I'll look through some boxes and see if we can help each other out!

Here's a suggestion from someone who, unlike most of you and has a different perspective, has a LOT fewer days ahead of him than he has behind him: Be kind to each other. It costs you nothing and the benefits are immense. You get rid of enmity and stress and you wake up happier in the morning than you were when you when to sleep the night before. In the vast expanse of time, while positions are surely important, relationships and happiness are more so and if relationships can be enhanced by being tolerant and encouraging to others then happiness will follow. It took me a long time to understand that.

I have found more happiness on this board than I ever thought I would, and the most happiness I have found, in my waning years, has been from orgers -- and they know who they are -- who I hold diametrically opposed opinions from but who, when I met them in person and when I needed support during times of travail were there for me.

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    That's because it is.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; May 24, 2022 at 12:09am.