Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Vaccinations for all

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    I just don't know what a person -- especially a senior citizen like myself -- is supposed to do or think. We look to the experts ad try to follow the science, but as you incisively put it, that science and those experts are constantly evolving and refining.
    My personal approach lately has just been "it is what it is."
    I rarely read the news, as that causes more stress than anything, especially with networks competing for ratings, and doing more to appeal to their base rather than unbiased information.

I just do the best I can with the info I have at the time.
    If I hear mask recommendations have changed? I change with it.
    If a booster is recommended by a plethora of reputable sources? I get it.
    If what you can do in public changes? I adhere to the new guidelines.
    I check the current recommendations maybe once a week, and that's it.

Otherwise, constantly worrying and fretting about the details will do nothing but stress me out. And there's also the extra stress about arguing with people over something I'm not an expert about, which ultimately resolves nothing other than pushing me towards an early stress-induced heart attack.

Like with Power-Con this August. We all know the risks about group gatherings. So we'll follow the guidelines in place at the time of the show. Those who want to come, will come. Those who don't, won't. It's that simple.

Mental health is important. So as long as we operate safely while we do it, using whatever guidelines are in place at the time, it's about the best we can do. That's my opinion, anyway.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2021!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Master of New Adventures!
    All great advice, Val. Thank you very much for it.

I will point out that it's a bit more difficult not to worry about things when one is seventy-two and has had two major medical incidents in the last two years. But I think your advice is sound. Not to be morbid, but Tim McGraw also had good advice when he advised, "live like you were dying.'" The song gives young people like you and most on he-man.org a glimpse into how older folks like me feel...and what the best path is for us. I think it gels nicely with your point of view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSc35IJaWl4

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    My personal approach lately has just been "it is what it is."
    I rarely read the news, as that causes more stress than anything, especially with networks competing for ratings, and doing more to appeal to their base rather than unbiased information.

I just do the best I can with the info I have at the time.
    If I hear mask recommendations have changed? I change with it.
    If a booster is recommended by a plethora of reputable sources? I get it.
    If what you can do in public changes? I adhere to the new guidelines.
    I check the current recommendations maybe once a week, and that's it.

Otherwise, constantly worrying and fretting about the details will do nothing but stress me out. And there's also the extra stress about arguing with people over something I'm not an expert about, which ultimately resolves nothing other than pushing me towards an early stress-induced heart attack.

Like with Power-Con this August. We all know the risks about group gatherings. So we'll follow the guidelines in place at the time of the show. Those who want to come, will come. Those who don't, won't. It's that simple.

Mental health is important. So as long as we operate safely while we do it, using whatever guidelines are in place at the time, it's about the best we can do. That's my opinion, anyway.
    - - - Updated - - -

Our thirteen-year-old Max has been confirmed for having contracted omicron.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; January 13, 2022 at 02:25pm.

So now I understand Biden is taking heat for saying this is a pandemic of the unvaccinated. Some of the news articles I read seem to support this -- i.e., the overwhelming majority of hospitalizations are among the unvaccinated. Other articles are saying there is a large amount of breakthrough infections among the vaccinated but those who are vaccinated tend to have milder symptoms.

Which is it? This is not a rhetorical question. I'm just looking for an answer.
    I believe absolutely that the majority of the hospitalizations are from the unvaccinated. But the actual spread of the virus is EVERYONE, vaccinated or not.

Basically the main upside to vaccination is better chances of having milder symptoms. The only other thing other here have pointed out is that you also are probably going to be sick for a shorter period of time. That makes sense to me based on a lot of what I've seen.

- - - Updated - - -

Our thirteen-year-old Max has been confirmed for having contracted omicron.
    How are his symptoms?
    "A fool always finds a greater fool to admire him."

VERY mild, Dice. He's in isolation in his bedroom with his game platforms and 50-inch television.

As for the rest of us -- me, Kim, Alex and Zoe -- we have all been vaccinated and have had boosters so there is a low likelhood that we will contract it from Max. That said, we're all aware that there have been breakthrough infection with people who have been vaccinated and boostered. I've had firsthand experience with epidemiology from back in my days as a USAF search-and-rescue medic so we are taking all prudent precautions.

Because of my own coronary and stroke medical issues and advanced age, I have been in touch with my medical team to ensure they have Molnupiravid and Paxloid, FDA approved meds to fight omicron when taken within 24 hours of infection.

I think we'll all be fine.

Prayers, however, will be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    I believe absolutely that the majority of the hospitalizations are from the unvaccinated. But the actual spread of the virus is EVERYONE, vaccinated or not.

Basically the main upside to vaccination is better chances of having milder symptoms. The only other thing other here have pointed out is that you also are probably going to be sick for a shorter period of time. That makes sense to me based on a lot of what I've seen.

- - - Updated - - -

How are his symptoms?

VERY mild, Dice. He's in isolation in his bedroom with his game platforms and 50-inch television.

As for the rest of us -- me, Kim, Alex and Zoe -- we have all been vaccinated and have had boosters so there is a low likelhood that we will contract it from Max.
    That's good news!

You guys are being smart. I honestly don't think the likelihood is as low based on how many people I've seen catch it recently. You guys being cautious is the right thing to do.

I've seen this stuff spread fast enough recently that I'm going to go get a booster that I wasn't really worried about getting 3 weeks ago

It's like a wildfire, Dice. A highly prosocial friend of mine volunteered to assist with administering tests in a small city in Massachusetts. He told me today that they had over thirty cases that test results came back positive. That's in one small city in Massachusetts. Sheesh!

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    That's good news!

You guys are being smart. I honestly don't think the likelihood is as low based on how many people I've seen catch it recently. You guys being cautious is the right thing to do.

I've seen this stuff spread fast enough recently that I'm going to go get a booster that I wasn't really worried about getting 3 weeks ago
    - - - Updated - - -

I want to take a moment to apologize to JohnnyC if I offended him in my previous posts. It wasn't my intention but I regret it if he was offended and I apologize.

Somehow, when one's child comes down with omicron it helps to put things into perspective.

My daughter who is nine had symptoms last Wednesday so we had her tested last Thursday. It came up positive. Luckily, by Thursday morning, she was feeling 100% better. Not a sign of it. Because of that, her positive result really surprised us.

She had her last dose of vaccine the Wednesday before, so she was only halfway through the 14 day period afterwards until considered "fully vaccinated." I really feel that if it weren't for the vaccine, her fight with this would have been worse.

My wife and I both were fully vaccinated and boosted. So far, we've been in the clear. We are awaiting final test results either today or tomorrow. We've both been swimming in it, as it's next to impossible to quarantine a 9 year old girl. She needs her mommy and daddy.

The Supreme Court blocked Biden's OSHA vaccine mandate for businesses with over 100 hundred employees. That's good news, at least in my opinion.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/13/polit...-19/index.html

I also want to send my best wishes to anyone currently dealing with COVID. Please take all necessary precautions and stay safe.

Somehow, when one's child comes down with omicron it helps to put things into perspective.
    Quote Originally Posted by dorrmann View Post
    My daughter who is nine had symptoms last Wednesday so we had her tested last Thursday. It came up positive. Luckily, by Thursday morning, she was feeling 100% better. Not a sign of it. Because of that, her positive result really surprised us.
    I know you both are going through a very difficult time. I hope it helps to keep in mind that the Mayo Clinic has found "While all children are capable of getting the virus that causes COVID-19, they don't become sick as often as adults. Most children have mild symptoms or no symptoms." https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...n/art-20484405
    Last edited by Stinkor; January 13, 2022 at 06:02pm.

While I'm happy for my son and dorrmann's daughter, it doesn't help me, an older guy who's had a heart attack and a stroke. Kim's shoving Vitamin C and ginger gummies down my throat. I will say I'm glad I, Kim, Alex and Zoe all had boosters. I guess Max doesn't need one now.

We'll get through it.

Sure helps to have supportive orgers.

Quote Originally Posted by Stinkor View Post
    The Supreme Court blocked Biden's OSHA vaccine mandate for businesses with over 100 hundred employees. That's good news, at least in my opinion.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/01/13/polit...-19/index.html

I also want to send my best wishes to anyone currently dealing with COVID. Please take all necessary precautions and stay safe.

I know you both are going through a very difficult time. I hope it helps to keep in mind that the Mayo Clinic has found "While all children are capable of getting the virus that causes COVID-19, they don't become sick as often as adults. Most children have mild symptoms or no symptoms." https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...n/art-20484405
    - - - Updated - - -

And just for the record, our thirteen-year-old Max had two Pfizer vaccinations before Christmas and he still got Omicron! I'm thinking our allowing him to go to the theater to see Batman might not have been such a good idea.

But I'll tell you what: Kim and I will take precautions and mask up with N95's, but we're going out for dinner Friday and Saturday night. I'm not going to be a prisoner!
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; January 13, 2022 at 06:23pm.

While I'm happy for my son and dorrmann's daughter, it doesn't help me, an older guy who's had a heart attack and a stroke. Kim's shoving Vitamin C and ginger gummies down my throat. I will say I'm glad I, Kim, Alex and Zoe all had boosters. I guess Max doesn't need one now.

We'll get through it.

Sure helps to have supportive orgers.

- - - Updated - - -

And just for the record, our thirteen-year-old Max had two Pfizer vaccinations before Christmas and he still got Omicron! I'm thinking our allowing him to go to the theater to see Batman might not have been such a good idea.

But I'll tell you what: Kim and I will take precautions and mask up with N95's, but we're going out for dinner Friday and Saturday night. I'm not going to be a prisoner!

I hope everyone here at the Org and beyond remain safe, healthy and well. I was sad when Belinda Carlisle's concert was cancelled and postponed until 2023, but I do understand the reasons why, it is best to keep Belinda, her band and the public safe. Also, I would love to see the new Batman movie in March (and a few other movies this year) at the cinema, but my sister who has also been my carer throughout my tumultous medical problems over the last three years is hesitant for me to go because of the likelihood of catching the virus, even though I've been fully vaccinated (but haven't had the booster shot yet).
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

- Julie Newmar (The Catwoman)

Just gonna leave this here since we could all use some good news.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...pLtPg5Q5qp0AHo

I first heard some scuttlebutt about this over a year ago, but I kinda thought people were joking. In hindsight, it explains a LOT about how some people I know either managed to avoid the virus completely (so far) OR barely had any symptoms and those symptoms cleared up in a day or so.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Thanks for this, Rikki. There's a joke in there somewhere. I just can't figure out what it is...

(Sometimes, when we feel like we're in the heart of darkness, it's good to have a brief laugh or a fleeting smile, even if it momentarily approaches gallows humor. )

Quote Originally Posted by Rikki Roxx View Post
    Just gonna leave this here since we could all use some good news.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...pLtPg5Q5qp0AHo

I first heard some scuttlebutt about this over a year ago, but I kinda thought people were joking. In hindsight, it explains a LOT about how some people I know either managed to avoid the virus completely (so far) OR barely had any symptoms and those symptoms cleared up in a day or so.

I think the funniest thing is that apparently one of the keys to avoiding/treating this thing is something every grown adult should already be doing, anyway. If they have any interest at all in living a happy, well-adjusted and productive life with minimal stress, pain, and aggravation, that is.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

I think the funniest thing is that apparently one of the keys to avoiding/treating this thing is something every grown adult should already be doing, anyway. If they have any interest at all in living a happy, well-adjusted and productive life with minimal stress, pain, and aggravation, that is.
    Are you talking about taking what they suggest in the article? I'm asking sincerely since I have an interest in the subject .

Let's just say that I've been passingly familiar with certain "herbal sciences". And that amongst people I know who one would call "experts" on that subject... I've noticed - anecdotally, but I will note, consistently - they either have not gotten sick, or else have had few-to-no symptoms and/or recovered in as little as two days. This group is anecdotal but does include friends, family, co-workers, and casual acquaintances which amount to a rather sizeable group of people, scattered all over the world, of just about every age group or ethnicity, for the entire duration of the pandemic. And this is just my personal experience, but it's been uncannily consistent regardless. Furthermore, those who might be called "zen masters" on the subject, have been almost completely "bulletproof", as it were. Like, either no cases, or a two-day recovery from symptoms, if any.

It's one of those things it becomes hard NOT to notice, after a while. Like it's kinda the only thing all those people have in common with each other; the fact that they're fairly familiar with said "herbal sciences". Pretty wild!

It just seems to help with... like, everything, though. So I don't think it would be a surprise to anyone who's already experienced on the subject, as it were.

I seemed to have noticed for years now that most of them just plain don't get very sick very often in general, though. I'm no Doctor of Scientology; I'm not even a Doctor of Thuganomics. But I do notice things. And those things are... encouraging.

A few family members contracted it, likely at the funeral we were all at last weekend. (At least the tornado didn't swing by our area, which at one point during the burial was a distinct possibility.)

My wife's district, Conroe ISD, has moved into Level 4. About 900 employees are out in her district today alone! The superintendent, in a live Youtube event yesterday afternoon, declared that they were getting uncomfortably close to shutting down. If that happens, there isn't currently an option to go virtual, and the days would have to be made up once classes resumed.

My district, a bit northeast and considerably smaller than CISD, hasn't made any declarations about the sate of things yet, but because we are smaller and more rural out here, our superintendent generally waits to see what the larger surrounding districts will do. All I know is I've been making a bit of extra money covering teachers who have been out during my conference periods, there've been quite a few kiddos out the past two weeks, and I'm seeing more and more kids mask up day by day. They're worried, so I try to keep things in my classes light, tight, and bright.
    MOTU Origins Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Anti-Eternia Characters, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy
    Hermione's Toy Box on Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8C...xlwUttPSJAUZMA

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    A few family members contracted it, likely at the funeral we were all at last weekend. (At least the tornado didn't swing by our area, which at one point during the burial was a distinct possibility.)

My wife's district, Conroe ISD, has moved into Level 4. About 900 employees are out in her district today alone! The superintendent, in a live Youtube event yesterday afternoon, declared that they were getting uncomfortably close to shutting down. If that happens, there isn't currently an option to go virtual, and the days would have to be made up once classes resumed.

My district, a bit northeast and considerably smaller than CISD, hasn't made any declarations about the sate of things yet, but because we are smaller and more rural out here, our superintendent generally waits to see what the larger surrounding districts will do. All I know is I've been making a bit of extra money covering teachers who have been out during my conference periods, there've been quite a few kiddos out the past two weeks, and I'm seeing more and more kids mask up day by day. They're worried, so I try to keep things in my classes light, tight, and bright.
    I hope you and your family remain safe and well Uki along with all your students and their families.
    "Tell me I am beautiful - it means nothing to me. Tell me I am intellectual - well, I know it already. Tell me I am funny however, and that is the greatest compliment in the world that anyone can give me".

Let's just say that I've been passingly familiar with certain "herbal sciences". And that amongst people I know who one would call "experts" on that subject... I've noticed - anecdotally, but I will note, consistently - they either have not gotten sick, or else have had few-to-no symptoms and/or recovered in as little as two days. This group is anecdotal but does include friends, family, co-workers, and casual acquaintances which amount to a rather sizeable group of people, scattered all over the world, of just about every age group or ethnicity, for the entire duration of the pandemic. And this is just my personal experience, but it's been uncannily consistent regardless. Furthermore, those who might be called "zen masters" on the subject, have been almost completely "bulletproof", as it were. Like, either no cases, or a two-day recovery from symptoms, if any.

It's one of those things it becomes hard NOT to notice, after a while. Like it's kinda the only thing all those people have in common with each other; the fact that they're fairly familiar with said "herbal sciences". Pretty wild!

It just seems to help with... like, everything, though. So I don't think it would be a surprise to anyone who's already experienced on the subject, as it were.

I seemed to have noticed for years now that most of them just plain don't get very sick very often in general, though. I'm no Doctor of Scientology; I'm not even a Doctor of Thuganomics. But I do notice things. And those things are... encouraging.
    I'm interested in a lot of the benefits. I wonder though, do you have to "take it" any specific way to get full benefits? I'd be all about some gummies.

Unfortunately for me, my industry is very anti-this. We get tested often and any sign of any type of use would result in immediate firing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    My district, a bit northeast and considerably smaller than CISD, hasn't made any declarations about the sate of things yet, but because we are smaller and more rural out here, our superintendent generally waits to see what the larger surrounding districts will do.
    Schools in my area and the surrounding counties have all slowly but surely been going back to virtual through the week due to lack of staff and rises in cases. It isn't statewide yet but I think it will be soon.

I agree. The pandemic is unquestionably the greatest force to finally compel the overwhelming majority of the male species who have been gross enough not to have washed their hands after going to the bathroom to now do so.

- - - Updated - - -

Max is feeling 100% today -- totally asymptomatic. He's really looking forward to returning to school on Tuesday, after MLK Day.

Kim, Alex and I are all well, no symptoms at all, so I think we made it through this. The three of us are going out for dinner tonight to breathe a sigh of relief.

Again, thanks to all -- and especially to Val -- for the well-wishes, support, input and guidance during these crazy pandemic times. You guys (and gals) are the best. You bring comfort to this aging writer's soul...

If I may, I second Val's guidance. Get the best scientific advice you can get. Be as cautious as you can within your own situation. Largely avoid the news as they have no mandate to provide helpful information.
    Live in the Connecticut/SW Massachusetts area? Need a tutor for you or your kids? PM me!

The name is Bond.... James Bond.

I don't think I'm overstating it when I say we're fortunate to have his sage input.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Manis007 View Post
    If I may, I second Val's guidance. Get the best scientific advice you can get. Be as cautious as you can within your own situation. Largely avoid the news as they have no mandate to provide helpful information.

The Supreme Court decisions on not allowing federal mandates at general businesses, but in hospital settings where the most at risk are sounds ok to me. I do question why a covid positive worker that is vacinnated is more safe than a negative tested unvaccinated worker, though, like in this article: COVID positive hospital workers can return to work without isolating, state public health says

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.kge...alth-says/amp/

My wife and I got our boosters in December.

Unmotivated webcomicker KidTDragon's Avatar

(Credit: Brian McFadden)
    Track your MotU collection at shmax.com!

Almost Comics: Occasionally updated. Occasionally funny.

XBL Gamertag: KidTDragon
    PSN User ID: KidTDragon
    Nintendo Network ID: KidTDragon
    Steam: KidTDragon

Quote Originally Posted by He-Manis007 View Post
    I absolutely agree with this as well!

I'm happy to report our Max is well, is out of quarantine and restarts school tomorrow. Like all student at his school, he has to mask, but he won't get to take the two five-minute daily mask breaks for another week.

Still, we're happy with where we're at and that Kim and I didn't contract it from him.