Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Transformers Kingdom WFC Trilogy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    Instead of full on G1 homages with faux parts etc they should focus on new altmodes and robot modes and give more characters realistic vehicle modes. The whole point of the altmodes is to be a disguise.
    As cool a giant Cybertronian jets and cars and robotic dinosaur and apes are they really need to go back to more everyday vehicles etc.
    I would love come Transformers that could change into standard cars, motorbikes, tractors, boats trains, jets, tanks etc.

As for the cartoons though they need to get some better writers and voice actors because the Combiner Wars Trilogy and the WFC trilogy have both been pretty crap. Although at least those shows did actually have the main characters in it....
    Please Hasbro don't hire Kevin Smith to do a Transformers show.

BTW for anyone in the UK Smuths currently have a lot of the WFC Kingdom, Earthrise and Netflix Transformers on sale.
    The most perplexing thing to me is the complete disconnect between the Earthrise toyline and the Earthrise show. Like the whole point of the line was to be the Earthmode version (hence the name) but the actual show dosn't do that.

Even putting aside the shows faults as a narrative it's a pretty bad advert for the figures, since the show comes out after the figures main run and dosn't even feature half the cast in the forms of those figures.

The voice acting leaves something to be desired, especially Prime's slow delivery. The show using nonunion voice actors, probably to save money, limited who they could get. It felt like they tried to fit 52 episodes into 18. I liked finally seeing Beast Wars characters interact with G1 characters, but the execution was a bit off. I liked the show better than Cyberverse, but I'd put G1, Beast Wars, and Prime far ahead of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    The voice acting leaves something to be desired, especially Prime's slow delivery. The show using nonunion voice actors, probably to save money, limited who they could get. It felt like they tried to fit 52 episodes into 18. I liked finally seeing Beast Wars characters interact with G1 characters, but the execution was a bit off. I liked the show better than Cyberverse, but I'd put G1, Beast Wars, and Prime far ahead of it.
    I think I would put the bad English dub of the Takara Headmasters cartoon way ahead of it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by A Dalek View Post
    The most perplexing thing to me is the complete disconnect between the Earthrise toyline and the Earthrise show. Like the whole point of the line was to be the Earthmode version (hence the name) but the actual show dosn't do that.

Even putting aside the shows faults as a narrative it's a pretty bad advert for the figures, since the show comes out after the figures main run and dosn't even feature half the cast in the forms of those figures.
    Yeah that was such a waste of time. What was the point of doing Earthmodes at all when they weren't even in the show.
    They even made an Earth mode Ultra Magnus and promoted him being in Kingdom and he was breifly there for like a minute or two.
    An awful lot of Kingdom toys weren't even in the show at all.

Yeah that was such a waste of time. What was the point of doing Earthmodes at all when they weren't even in the show.
    They even made an Earth mode Ultra Magnus and promoted him being in Kingdom and he was breifly there for like a minute or two.
    An awful lot of Kingdom toys weren't even in the show at all.
    Primal does say there were 100 fallen Maximals, likewise Megatron did say there were fallen Predacons, so you could probably imagine that some of the characters we didn't see died in battle.
    Princesses of Power enthusiast

If there is another G1 homage I would think it's best to take inspiration from an aspect of G1 that isn't focussed on or developed on much. Instead recycling the same elements over and over again.

Like say the situation at the start of the movie. The Autobots have more less abandoned Cybertron and left to the Decepticons and built their Autobot City settlement on Earth. Use that set up to tell the story (and I mean it's own story using the set up, not basing it on or leading into the events of the movie).

And also address that the situation isn't really much of a win for the Decepticons, cause well they are left with a dead husk of a world, while the Autobots are on a planet with plentiful resources, to produce Energon.

Or at least that's the way I would do it

So I could not get past the first episode. It seems with every season this show gets worse and worse. The first season had some problems, but was ok. But all the things that were wrong with the first season (super slow delivery of dialogue, little to no transformations, super-serious drama) was only increased in the second season. Sky Lynx did not transform at all! But I could just not finish this third season.

I liked Beast Wars in the 1990s. It was on when I was in college. I bought most of the characters' figures (especially the Transmetals), but am not a huge fan. I am a big Gee-Wunner so that's my jam. But this show is just, ugh, I just can't.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Quote Originally Posted by Reviews2D View Post
    Primal does say there were 100 fallen Maximals, likewise Megatron did say there were fallen Predacons, so you could probably imagine that some of the characters we didn't see died in battle.
    Yeah but why bother giving all the characters witg Cybertronian alt modes earth mode toys....and the numerous repaints of those toys.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    So I could not get past the first episode. It seems with every season this show gets worse and worse. The first season had some problems, but was ok. But all the things that were wrong with the first season (super slow delivery of dialogue, little to no transformations, super-serious drama) was only increased in the second season....
    It's a shame they couldn't get writers to actually make fun and interesting stand alone episodes.

- - - Updated - - -

No wonder the WFC has been terrible...it's written by most of the soem team that wrote Combiner Wars.

No wonder the WFC has been terrible...it's written by most of the soem team that wrote Combiner Wars.
    It's an odd choice, some of these WFC writers have worked on much better things but this may have not be the project for them. Also this series share one writer from Revelations.

Anyway I guess the toy sales are good enough at the moment that Hasbro is fine with trying to put out the cheapest shows possible.
    Last edited by Reviews2D; August 8, 2021 at 01:40pm.

It's an odd choice, some of these WFC writers have worked on much better things but this may have not be the project for them. Also this series share one writer from Revelations.

Anyway I guess the toy sales are good enough at the moment that Hasbro is fine with trying to put out the cheapest shows possible.
    As long as the toys sell I don't think they care. I've heard the more kid focussed cartoons are supposed to be quite good.

I noticed Tim Sherridan was also a writer on Revelations. The most credible and acomplished writer for Revelations.

Rodimus Primal did an interview with showrunner FJ Desanto about Kingdom, Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyFAMaT8XCU , Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp4rE8CMF5I

The full interview is about 70 min in length but they have some interesting info.

*Hasbro showed them the characters that would be released in the toy line in advance and I assume when they would be released. "You have all these BW characters why is Galvatron here?", "We don't know, it's time to release a Galvatron figure"
    *Hasbro sent them CAD models for the characters, if they didn't have a CAD model the crew used "model sheets from the 80s". Although the Ark was a collaborative effort.
    *FJ wanted more episodes but the budget prevented the crew from doing more, this lead to many things being cut due to time. They talked about the origins of Deseseus (including a cut 2 parter) but I want to focus on Optimus earth mode. Hasbro wanted the earth modes to be in the show but the crew didn't find a way for it to fit the story. They had an idea of Optimus that when Primal knocked Prime out he would be rebuilt by the Maximals but was cut due to the for mentioned issues (they did make a model for the earth mode though).
    *Hasbro gave the crew mandates for events in the show for "aligned continuity" (They aren't referring to THE aligned continuity more of brand synergy). In siege the actions of Ultra Magnus was going to be of Alpha Trion but he Alpha Tricon died in Cyberverse so they couldn't do that. The Allspark had to be super important, and Optimus had to be the one to throw it into the space bridge because it happened in Cyberverse. The crew were also given charts for who could die, who would be on the Ark, etc.
    *Despite the issues FJ felt this was closer to his vison and had more control than the Prime Wars trilogy.

Unrelated but I have ordered Siege Spinster and ER Snapdragon yesterday. They should be coming next week and I will post my first impressions here.
    Last edited by Reviews2D; August 12, 2021 at 07:26pm. Reason: Additional info

I have one episode of Kingdom left to watch. My thoughts so far on the series and toyline:

- The cramming of G1 easter eggs feels kind of forced. It's almost as if someone asked those writing the script:

"How many G1 easter eggs do you want?"
    "YES."

- Overall the series is passable, but didn't feel very exciting. There were no memorable scenes in my opinion, and the whole thing felt a bit bland. The 1986 animated movie, in my opinion, was superior.

- I enjoyed the toys more than the series, and would have instead loved to see a Kingdom version of Alpha Trion produced.

Not sure where else to post this but these SS86 look nice https://tformers.com/transformers-st...2635/news.html

Not sure where else to post this but these SS86 look nice https://tformers.com/transformers-st...2635/news.html
    It's nice but it's just the WFC Earth Rise figure with new hands and some more accessories.

It's nice but it's just the WFC Earth Rise figure with new hands and some more accessories.
    I have the ER Starcream is I might try to pick up on a sale since I like the look of these additions, never got Scourge so I will use Sweeps instead, don't have any of the other Generations Preceptors either so defiantly picking that one up.

Also there should be more info on the upcoming Haslab project in a couple of weeks.

I have the ER Starcream is I might try to pick up on a sale since I like the look of these additions, never got Scourge so I will use Sweeps instead, don't have any of the other Generations Preceptors either so defiantly picking that one up.

Also there should be more info on the upcoming Haslab project in a couple of weeks.
    The additions are nice but for less than half the price you can get the accessories with the R.E.D. figure.

Not sure what the Haslab project could be...I would assume another Titan scale figure. Or maybe a Primus figure re-using some of the tooling for Unicron.

The additions are nice but for less than half the price you can get the accessories with the R.E.D. figure.

Not sure what the Haslab project could be...I would assume another Titan scale figure. Or maybe a Primus figure re-using some of the tooling for Unicron.
    The main draw for me is the throne which the RED doesn't come with also I got my ER Starscream on sale so I don't mind selling one off. I will wait to see how other characters will fit on the throne before I spend my money, although I might just swap the arms because I prefer the extra paint on the tail fins.
    For the Haslab project they have teased something related to Victory, might be Star Saber.

For the Haslab project they have teased something related to Victory, might be Star Saber.
    Now that would be awesome. although they would also need a Victory Leo.

Now that would be awesome. although they would also need a Victory Leo.
    Given it's Haslab and not a commander class release it could happen but we will see.

Given it's Haslab and not a commander class release it could happen but we will see.
    Considering how much Rodimus and Galvatron cost, a Star Saber/Victroy Leo set would probably be about 200.

I know Star Saber hasn't had a Hasbro/english market figure until the Haslab one (assuming it's him), in spite of him being pretty popular.

Was it a rights issue with Takara since he was made for the Japanese side of the franchise? I don't think he ever appeared in any english speaking media outside of a brief story arc in the IDW comics.

I know Star Saber hasn't had a Hasbro/english market figure until the Haslab one (assuming it's him), in spite of him being pretty popular.

Was it a rights issue with Takara since he was made for the Japanese side of the franchise? I don't think he ever appeared in any english speaking media outside of a brief story arc in the IDW comics.
    Not too sure but there was the Star Saber inspired Energon figure Wing Saber.

If it was a rights issue it might have been related to trademarks. Although for Power of the Primes Hasbro put out survey for who fans wanted to be the "the next prime" which included Star Saber however Optimus Primal was ultimately the winner, resulting in his leader class toy.

- - - Updated - - -

Got Spinister and Snapdragon today first impressions:

Spinister: Very solid robot mode and easily one of the most poseable deluxes in WFC. Interesting transformation that results in firm vehicle mode although I don't care for it much. The shape is right and the weapons are well integrated but I'm just not a fan of the arms just hanging out there. Still pretty good overall, will likely get the Rotorstorm repaint one day.
    Snapdragon: Robot mode is good but less than 90 degrees on the arms is unfortunate. Simple transformations that work well and other two modes are just as solid as the robot. Jet mode is probably the best mode, the only issue I have is that one of the panels to access the cockpit for the headmaster is too tight. The beast mode is fine, the issue is the mediocre posability which is I think is excepted. The headmaster is also fine, it works for all of the modes. Overall makes a great pair with Apeface.

- - - Updated - - -

Ended up getting Rotorstorm from Not Just Toys. Great repaint that I might prefer.

Ended up getting Rotorstorm from Not Just Toys. Great repaint that I might prefer.
    I may get Rotorstorm as i had the original toy growing up.

I may get Rotorstorm as i had the original toy growing up.
    I recommend keeping an eye out for one, since it's a redeco with a new head not really actuate to anything but the figure is good. The articulation and paint are definitely the highlights, and with the lack of his proper weapons is a issue there are upgrade kits out there.

I've just finished the first series and I'm halfway through earthrise , and so far I'm enjoying it a lot . Bear in mind I'm only really a casual transformers fan ,I've got a basic knowledge of who everyone is but it wasn't something I collected or watched religiously as a kid , so I know very little about how accurate the characters portrayals are etc , but I really like Jetfire and Megatron in this ,so far they're the standout characters in this for me . Alita 1 was really annoying in the first season to me but she's a lot more tolerable in earthrise so far but Optimus seems a bit of a wet lettuce though , which is really off from how I've previously seen him .

Sent from my AGS2-L09 using Tapatalk