Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Teela vs. Revelation Teela

Quote Originally Posted by Viceroy View Post
    I totally agree with your sentiments.

Instead of watching The Island, give The Price of Deceit or Out of the Past another crack. I really donít understand why you want to slam the 200x cartoon. Almost twenty years later the 200x series along with the action figures IMO are still holding its own. As other posters have pointed out, Teela was a 16 year old girl in the series.
    Out of the past is a really good Episode , as is price of deceit for evil Lynne . The myp show excelled when it came to origin stories and world building

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    What was wrong with Triklops I'm 200x? I don't remember him sticking out to me
    I personally felt triklops was a much better character in 200x , filmation he was just another goon

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by davelove81 View Post
    I personally felt triklops was a much better character in 200x , filmation he was just another goon

I agree. A lot more interesting in 200X.

Quote Originally Posted by MJOLNIR View Post
    Agreed. Filmation Teela is a tough act to follow. Count me in for a Filmation accurate Teela show any time.

I do enjoy the 200X Series very much but Teela and Triklops were the two big spots where there was room for improvement.
    Right there with you. I would love a miniseries about her. Linda Gary portrayed so much just in the quality of her voice. SMG, man, I don't know what that was. That wasn't even a performance most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    Right there with you. I would love a miniseries about her. Linda Gary portrayed so much just in the quality of her voice. SMG, man, I don't know what that was. That wasn't even a performance most of the time.
    I wonder if a lot of the issues with her voice acting was due to recording at her own house rather than in a dedicated studio ? It must be better having the other actors to bounce off and a director to push your performance

Several fans had issues with him being the tech guy and not Trap Jaw.

That was the only complaint I ever heard.

Common complaints regarding 200X were:

1. Tri-Klops is the tech guy not Trap Jaw.

2. Teela is unlikeable and downright mean to Adam in some episodes.

3. Orko's voice actor is painful to listen to.

4. Cringer/Battle Cat not talking.

5. Most of the Evil Warriors being reduced to idiots.

6. The Sorceress' redesign.

7. Fisto being implied to be Teela's father.

8. Skeletor taking a back seat to the Snake Men in Season 2.

9. Ironically given this series' approach: He-Man taking a back seat in his own show (arguably a valid criticism).

MJolnir may be like myself, wanting a mini-comic Tri-Klops the demon hunter! The one that defeated Beast-man, Battle-Cat, Ram-man, and Teela in the same day.
    "A fool always finds a greater fool to admire him."

I wonder if a lot of the issues with her voice acting was due to recording at her own house rather than in a dedicated studio ? It must be better having the other actors to bounce off and a director to push your performance

I'm sure that would have helped. But I don't think she had any real love or passion for the property or the project. There's none of that in her voice. She sounds completely disinterested.

I have actually directed some short films (nothing big, nothing anyone would have ever seen), and I've worked with actors before. Sometimes rather than audition in person they send in a video audition, or even an audio one. Recorded alone, usually at home. And almost all of them sounded way more into it than SMG did. In my opinion, there's really no excuse for that kind of performance UNLESS either the director or producer wanted it that way (and I'm not accusing them of that - just saying sometimes the actor can't give the performance they want because of the powers in charge).

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    I agree. A lot more interesting in 200X.
    I never had any interest in Tri-Klop before MYP. I actually quite like the character after 200X.

Tr-Klops was portrayed as a competent warrior and ambitious. He was loyal to Skeletor and wanted to prove his worth to Skeletor by innovating with his inventions.

Tri-Klops was an actual character in MYP.

It left a mark on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn29 View Post

9. Ironically given this series' approach: He-Man taking a back seat in his own show (arguably a valid criticism).
    I would agree with these except #9. Not that he wasn't less of a focus, but I don't mind that. I wouldn't have minded it in Revelation either, but it was to an extreme degree (and it's not anywhere near my biggest complaint with Revelation).

I would agree with these except #9. Not that he wasn't less of a focus, but I don't mind that. I wouldn't have minded it in Revelation either, but it was to an extreme degree (and it's not anywhere near my biggest complaint with Revelation).
    It was a common complaint and I can see why some fans had it. It needs to be listed and there was some validity to it.

I'm not sure how I feel about it.

I never had any interest in Tri-Klop before MYP. I actually quite like the character after 200X.

Tr-Klops was portrayed as a competent warrior and ambitious. He was loyal to Skeletor and wanted to prove his worth to Skeletor by innovating with his inventions.

Tri-Klops was an actual character in MYP.

It left a mark on me.
    If I recall correctly in the 200X comics he was somewhat plotting to take control. i believe it was in "The Shard of Darkness" comic.

I also really liked the more unique 200X look, especially the repainted action figure.

Co-Creator of the NV

Thanks - I'd never heard of 1 but was familiar with a number of the others.

My general thoughts on the rest

2 - I liked her just fine, but can see that others might not

3 - honestly don't remember it sticking out

4 - I actually preferred this but to each their own

5 - this surprises me because I thought they were even more ineffectual in Filmation

6 / 7 - didn't perturb me much but I can totally see how it would bother others.

8 - totally agree.. not a big fan of the snakemen and also didn't like He-Mans armor

9 - I'm gonna have to rewatch, as I've never noticed this

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    If I recall correctly in the 200X comics he was somewhat plotting to take control. i believe it was in "The Shard of Darkness" comic.

I also really liked the more unique 200X look, especially the repainted action figure.
    It kind of crosses his mind in the episode " robotos gambit " , not the comic you're referring to though . In that it's evil Lynn who's plotting to overthrow skeletor , trapjaws onside , and she THINKS triklops is her ally but he's actually feeding skeletor all the info about her plans .

Bloody hell , look at us , sidelining teela in her own thread

Sent from my AGS2-L09 using Tapatalk

Heroic Warrior
    I'll have my 40 and pizza ready when new GGI Teela makes her grand appearance.

The #StillNotMyTeela will be flying all over the place.

Governments will fall.
    The planet will crack in two.
    The universe will implode!

Say it ain't so Teela.

Say...it...ain't...so...

Heroic sculptor of toys Battle_Brak's Avatar
    I really canít wrap my head around anyone preferring any of the Filmation voices to either 200X or Revelation. It must be all based on nostalgia because there is nothing natural or convincing about the acting and line delivery in the original cartoon. The voices in general are just awful.
    Check out my artwork: https://aarondoyle.artstation.com/

Thanks - I'd never heard of 1 but was familiar with a number of the others.

My general thoughts on the rest

2 - I liked her just fine, but can see that others might not

3 - honestly don't remember it sticking out

4 - I actually preferred this but to each their own

5 - this surprises me because I thought they were even more ineffectual in Filmation

6 / 7 - didn't perturb me much but I can totally see how it would bother others.

8 - totally agree.. not a big fan of the snakemen and also didn't like He-Mans armor

9 - I'm gonna have to rewatch, as I've never noticed this
    These were the common complaints/criticisms.

I have my own, I agree with some of the above to various degrees, others I don't.

It's all good. MYP wasn't perfect but I did love it.

It was a common complaint and I can see why some fans had it. It needs to be listed and there was some validity to it.

I'm not sure how I feel about it.
    I really appreciate you making the list. I wasn't around back then. I watched it in 2009 I think, so it's good to get a list of what others were saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Battle_Brak View Post
    I really canít wrap my head around anyone preferring any of the Filmation voices to either 200X or Revelation. It must be all based on nostalgia because there is nothing natural or convincing about the acting and line delivery in the original cartoon. The voices in general are just awful.
    I kind of agree. I haven't seen a lot of cartoons from the 80s but from what I have seen voice acting usually wasn't the best. I have heard actors from that time in later work so I know they are capable, direction might have been the issue. I can get use to most voices but it really makes me enjoy the series more. Anyway for the Flimation series I would say Teela was one of the better voices but not amazing IMO.
    Princesses of Power enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Battle_Brak View Post
    Whoa whoa there, a lot of the filmation voices were insanely bad (spikor, buzz off, etc), but some of them were great. I'd take Linda Gary's Sorceress, Teela and Evil-lyn any day over 200x. Same for He-man, Man-at-arms.... Skeletor...

I know you have good taste (Brak is awesome - love the avatar name), but I guess we are at odds.

I think in general that MYP improved a lot of the evil warriors but I prefer the Filmation heroes. So it's not nostalgia with me. I think 200x voices were more solid. I hated Orko and Clawfuls voices. But there were fewer awful voices all around. I think there is a lot more emotion in Filmation though. MYP is a little flat for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Bloody hell , look at us , sidelining teela in her own thread

Nice one. At least the whole point of the thread is Teela so that counts.

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder if I like Filmation more, in parts because I do also love MYP, because it's a more fantastical take. I'll grant you MYP voices were more modern, realistic, believable. Filmation (the good ones) were more magical though. They didn't sound realistic, or earthly, and I prefer that. Totally understand how that's off putting for some though.

Heroic Warrior
    Is it ironic that one of the main flaws I found with 200X was that He-Man was in it too much? Like not in the traditional sense, because they TRIED to develop the other characters and give them the spotlight, but then they tried to have it both ways. The result of this is that a character would spend the entire episode building up their arc and then at the end they only end up being able to play as stalling or distraction until He-Man gets to pop in to save the day.

But yeah the Snake Men got very annoying real fast...

Heroic sculptor of toys Battle_Brak's Avatar
    Whoa whoa there, a lot of the filmation voices were insanely bad (spikor, buzz off, etc), but some of them were great. I'd take Linda Gary's Sorceress, Teela and Evil-lyn any day over 200x. Same for He-man, Man-at-arms.... Skeletor...

I know you have good taste (Brak is awesome - love the avatar name), but I guess we are at odds.

I think in general that MYP improved a lot of the evil warriors but I prefer the Filmation heroes. So it's not nostalgia with me. I think 200x voices were more solid. I hated Orko and Clawfuls voices. But there were fewer awful voices all around. I think there is a lot more emotion in Filmation though. MYP is a little flat for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice one. At least the whole point of the thread is Teela so that counts.

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder if I like Filmation more, in parts because I do also love MYP, because it's a more fantastical take. I'll grant you MYP voices were more modern, realistic, believable. Filmation (the good ones) were more magical though. They didn't sound realistic, or earthly, and I prefer that. Totally understand how that's off putting for some though.
    I didnít really see the Filmation cartoon until I bought a bootleg VHS with some episodes in my late teens. So I donít have the nostalgia for it of most longtime fans and I find the acting atrocious. I guess itís not that far off from the quality of acting of other early 80s cartoons. But itís really hard to tolerate. Of the main cast I really only like Oppenheimerís Man-at-Arms and Skeletor. I absolutely loathe the voice of the Sorceress. in general I think every role was portrayed better pretty much everywhere else.
    Check out my artwork: https://aarondoyle.artstation.com/

Heroic Warrior
    In my opinion, there's really no excuse for that kind of performance UNLESS either the director or producer wanted it that way (and I'm not accusing them of that - just saying sometimes the actor can't give the performance they want because of the powers in charge).
    That can definitely be a factor. For a good example, I always think about how the same guy everyone loves as Captain America was also a horrible version of Johnny Storm. If I'd only ever seen him in FF4, I'd think he was a horrendous actor. After seeing him as Cap (and reading some behind the scenes stuff about FF4), I realize most of the blame for his performance there falls on the director.

There was something about the Filmation voices that was just perfect for what they were, especially with characters like Trap-Jaw, Teela, Evil-Lyn, Sorceress, and Man-at-Arms. Others weren't that good but I think a big part of it was you basically had a very small group of people trying to provide a multitude of different voices for all these fantastical beings, so they got stretched to their limits at times. The fact that they were often talking to themselves as other characters adds to the flatness, since they're not really having a conversation, even a scripted one, but simply reading their lines in different voices. And I'm not knocking Filmation at all for that. What they did on the budget they had is phenomenal.

I think a lot of the " bad " voices might be symptomatic of the same actors being used for multiple roles , they probably tried to go to as many different extremes as they could . And even though I'm here waving my 200x flag , I think the music in filmation was , at times , epic, and I still don't think ANY series has bettered the filmation transformation sequence

Edit , just saw " justwannalooks" reply, I must have been typing as you posted

Heroic Warrior
    Great minds think alike, and all that!

Sarah Michelle Gellar is probably the most miscast voice in the show. It doesn't quite fit.