Thread: Writers's COMMENTARIES - MOTU: Revelation Celebration

He-Man historian

Writers's COMMENTARIES - MOTU: Revelation Celebration

Here are all five Masters of the Universe Revelation WRITER'S COMMENTARIES.

They might've been brought up in the individual episode discussion threads, so my apologies, but I feel these deserve to be highlighted on their own. There are tons of great information from the writers on the process of creating the Part 1 on Masters of the Universe Revelation.

Contains Spoilers and some curse words.

#01 "The Power of Grayskull"
    by Kevin Smith

#02 "Poisoned Chalice"
    by Diya Mishra

#03 "The Most Dangerous Man in Eternia"
    by Marc Bernardin

#04 "Land of the Dead"
    by Tim Sheridan

#05 "The Forge at the Forest of Forever"
    by Eric Carrasco

Moderator Note:
    Additional He-Man.Org Rules and Guidelines for This Thread - Please Read!

There has been a lot of discussion on where specific topics to be discussed land within this thread. This forum is intended to be all-ages and more light-hearted in spirit and is not to be dragged down into the typical debates about sex, politics, race and religion we see online often leading to anger and hurt feelings. Those topics can still be discussed, however they will be discussed in the Tar Swamp where there is a more open, adult platform for those topics.
    To help keep the forums fun and friendly, the admins and moderators have conversed and decided guidelines on what can and can’t be discussed in this thread and what will be referred to the Tar Swamp.

What can be discussed:
    • The specific reasons why we enjoy the show
    • Constructive reasons why we dislike the show
    • Reasons why we like/enjoy specific characters
    • Constructive reasons why we dislike characters
    • Relationships between characters (all inclusive and diversity - heterosexual, homosexual, pan, etc.) that are clearly defined in the cartoon

Topics for the Tar Swamp:
    • Debates about sex, politics and religion
    • Debates about race (discussion on race swapping of characters is allowed, but must not be political in nature)
    • Debates about morality and any sexually related topic, or any politics associated with sexuality
    • Speculation about a character’s sexuality
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Heroic Warrior
    I'm conflicted about (episode 4)

Orko originally having a gorier death + face reveal. On one hand, oof my heart. But on the other hand, I'm an absolute sucker for tragedy and angst. On the OTHER other hand I like being able to be confident that Orko will most likely come back. On the OTHER OTHER other hand, I feel like if they intended on the fake out death being believable, they should have made it more, you know, deadly, and not just something that could easily just be interpreted as Orko teleporting. Heck, Filmation Orko has indeed straight up survived literally exploding before, so maybe trying to fake a death for him believably is a lost cause from the start. I digress.

I am slightly curious as to what his face would have looked like in this version. However, since I've been underwhelmed by the long awaited reveal of the Filmation Orko's face, it's probably for the best that they just let it be.

These commentaries are great.

It really shows you how much love, lore and fan-service this team of writers put into the entire story.

So much of what they mention will be missed by most viewers, which is a shame because so much effort was put into each sequence...
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

I loved these videos so much! I hope they continue these with the second half of the season. I wish more shows would do things like this.
    Tweeterhead Statue Want List: He-Man 2.0, Battle Cat, Panthor, Tung Lashor, Rattlor, Zodak (200X style), She-Ra 2.0, Sorceress, Buzz Off, Webstor, Kobra Khan, King Hiss, Scare Glow

Co-Creator of the NV
    Just started watching the first one and enjoying it. One of the things that really stuck with me was when he says he had no cable and just watched what was on TV- it reminds me a lot of growing up and I am sure that others hearing that will agree. I'm sure that others feel this too, but sometimes now that I have more channels than I can count, as well as tons of streaming services, I often can't find anything that I want to watch. Basically paralyzed by choice

Court Magician
    I'm really sad they cut the flashback to young Teela and Adam. Not sad that they cut that scene with Teela beating down her friend from the past. Sounds like that would have made Teela come across as an even bigger jerk.

I can't help but think the pacing of the show would have been a lot better had the full series been done by writer.

Co-Creator of the NV
    I'd have liked it if they had included most of the cut content

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    I'd have liked it if they had included most of the cut content
    Yeah, there is really cool sounding stuff that didn't make it...

I am curious about episode 6 though... something that was supposed to happen in 5, but was moved to 6 because it was as awesome as Skelegod?!?
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

So I really appreciate Kevin and the writers for doing these commentaries. I do enjoy watching the show while listening to the commentaries at the same time. I only watched the first two so far. But here are some observations

--Kevin did not have the toys but watched the cartoon. I am totally ok with that. I watched several shows in the 1980s that were based on toys I never had as well.
    --The writer for the second episode (forgot her name) is a big Lord of the Rings fan and tried to put LOTR stuff in the show. That's cool! I totally got a LOTR vibe from the show and this makes total sense!
    --Kevin Smith never watched the MYP show. This one really bugs me, though. I know this because he said "I think this is the first time we see Stinkor in a cartoon" which is not true, and anyone that watched the MYP show would know that.
    Also, Kevin makes several references to how "We never saw He-Man and SKeletor really fight before" which is also not true, although he was referencing the Filmation show. I know that he must know the MYP show existed, but I really think he should have either watched several episodes, or at least see the characters that were in the show.
    --The writer of the second episode said she watched Pixel Dan's toy reviews to see how the Snake Mountain playset features worked. And she wanted to incorporate them into the show! That's awesome! And awesome that they both knew Pixel Dan!
    --At the start of the first commentary, Kevin made a reference at how his show, Revelation, is also a celebration of the toys more so than the Filmation cartoon. That's awesome and I dig that! However, he does make several incorrect states about the lore. He totally skips over the MYP and Classics references and gets them wrong many times, like the origins of the Orb of Power. But I am aware that Ted and the Mattel guys knew where the references were from and they they were correctly placed in the show.

I will finish later this weekend. I Am enjoying it.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    --Kevin Smith never watched the MYP show. This one really bugs me, though. I know this because he said "I think this is the first time we see Stinkor in a cartoon" which is not true, and anyone that watched the MYP show would know that.
    Creators have to maintain distance from ancillary properties like this to avoid being accused of stealing from them. It's like if you write fanfic of my TV show, and then I decide to have a plot that is similar, you can then accuse me of stealing it from you. I get why he wouldn't, but I also see your point about missing out on some important stuff. I don't think there's a right answer here.

And yeah, he wasn't the lorekeeper, and that's fine with me.

I enjoyed these; I’m glad they’re planning on doing more for the second half of the season!
    MOTU Origins Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Anti-Eternia Characters, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy
    Hermione's Toy Box on Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8C...xlwUttPSJAUZMA

Watching all of these and listening to it preatty intently, knowing the cut scene with Ileana as the now captain of the guard and guarding Grayskull from intruders is a hard pill to swallow, knowing we won’t get to see that. Think that was the first or second episode. I wonder if she shows up in the second half. Also I believe in the second episode they said they were to have Mosquitor guarding the entrance into snake mtn, why of all characters have him. I mean it would be totally awesome to have him animated for the first time and show up but explaining his presence, as he is part of the Horde would be a stretch of the imagination not sure how you explain that. I apperciated they did that, but something seemed a bit off, really wish they went more in depth on the some of the stories more, for instance, they mentioned nothing about the huge screech behind techno cult triclops or where motherboard came from, fans wanna know about that, if your doing this awesome behind the scenes commentary, then comment on that don’t gloss over it.

Quote Originally Posted by facet View Post
    Watching all of these and listening to it preatty intently, knowing the cut scene with Ileana as the now captain of the guard and guarding Grayskull from intruders is a hard pill to swallow, knowing we won’t get to see that. Think that was the first or second episode. I wonder if she shows up in the second half. Also I believe in the second episode they said they were to have Mosquitor guarding the entrance into snake mtn, why of all characters have him. I mean it would be totally awesome to have him animated for the first time and show up but explaining his presence, as he is part of the Horde would be a stretch of the imagination not sure how you explain that. I apperciated they did that, but something seemed a bit off, really wish they went more in depth on the some of the stories more, for instance, they mentioned nothing about the huge screech behind techno cult triclops or where motherboard came from, fans wanna know about that, if your doing this awesome behind the scenes commentary, then comment on that don’t gloss over it.
    One thing that struck me as weird about the illeena info , is that originally , in the star comics and the thundercats crossover Andra was a royal guard , and in filmation illeenas a normal citizen whose father is an inventor . So really , the " Andra" we see in revelation , who's an outsider and an inventor , would make more sense as a race swapped illeena . No Biggie , just something that struck me as odd .

Sent from my AGS2-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by davelove81 View Post
    One thing that struck me as weird about the illeena info , is that originally , in the star comics and the thundercats crossover Andra was a royal guard , and in filmation illeenas a normal citizen whose father is an inventor . So really , the " Andra" we see in revelation , who's an outsider and an inventor , would make more sense as a race swapped illeena . No Biggie , just something that struck me as odd .

Sent from my AGS2-L09 using Tapatalk
    Well put and yes that would have made more sense for sure