Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 55

Thread: The Legacy of MOTU Classics

  1. #1
    Heroic Warrior chaosMonkeyPoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Houston, Tx
    Posts
    179

    The Legacy of MOTU Classics

    Now with the new cartoon and multiple lines of product hitting retail, I find myself thinking back on Classics a lot and really wondering its place in MOTU and action figure history. For me personally, despite being far more of a Marvel legends and Transformers fan, it was the only time in my life I've gone completionist in a toy line and up there with GI Joes 25th Anniversary line as the only line I regret selling off most of my figures (at this point due to space reasons I probably only own 15-20% of the line anymore).

    I really do think that Classics, among its many accomplishments, has had an important part in shaping the adult collector market of today quite significantly. And some of the more notable aspects that stand out to me are:

    The 4 Horsemen and their level of "fame" in the toy community: I think a lot of people had heard of them due to the work they did on the 200X line as well as various DC lines for Mattel - but Classics seem to make them blow up in a way that even people who didn't collect those lines knew who the studio was. I would be money that the reason they were able to pull off their extremely successful kickstarters was due to the level of fandom recognition they gained from working on Classics.

    The Castle Greyskull crowdfunding campaign - Pre-orders for Large items from mainstream toy companies are becoming more common now with Hasbro's Haslab campaign and Mattel even getting back in the game with that deluxe WWE Ring and I really think that started with Castle Greyskull. Obviously Kickstarter having successful toy campaigns is probably part of the equation as well but it was the Castle that showed mainstream companies like Mattel and Hasbro that they could crowdfund expensive collector oriented items successfully.

    The rise of more public action figure brand managers - love him or hate him Toyguru was EXTREMELY public for a brand manager, much less one of an action figure toy line. He really paved the way for what now almost seems like an expected part of collector based toy lines. While I don't think he did everything right, he did kind of set the benchmark and kind of learn a lot of lessons that later guys like the Brian Flynn over at Super7, NECA's Randy Faulk or the numerous guys over at Hasbro who show up on their weekly Hasbro Pulse streams all kind of learned from.

    These are just a few that immediately come to mind and theres probably TONS more, but its kind of cool to think of how Classics made an impact and really recognize it for how important to the action figure landscape it really was.

  2. #2
    Anti-Bot oansun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Land of Kentuck
    Posts
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by chaosMonkeyPoo View Post
    Now with the new cartoon and multiple lines of product hitting retail, I find myself thinking back on Classics a lot and really wondering its place in MOTU and action figure history. For me personally, despite being far more of a Marvel legends and Transformers fan, it was the only time in my life I've gone completionist in a toy line and up there with GI Joes 25th Anniversary line as the only line I regret selling off most of my figures (at this point due to space reasons I probably only own 15-20% of the line anymore).

    I really do think that Classics, among its many accomplishments, has had an important part in shaping the adult collector market of today quite significantly. And some of the more notable aspects that stand out to me are:

    The 4 Horsemen and their level of "fame" in the toy community: I think a lot of people had heard of them due to the work they did on the 200X line as well as various DC lines for Mattel - but Classics seem to make them blow up in a way that even people who didn't collect those lines knew who the studio was. I would be money that the reason they were able to pull off their extremely successful kickstarters was due to the level of fandom recognition they gained from working on Classics.

    The Castle Greyskull crowdfunding campaign - Pre-orders for Large items from mainstream toy companies are becoming more common now with Hasbro's Haslab campaign and Mattel even getting back in the game with that deluxe WWE Ring and I really think that started with Castle Greyskull. Obviously Kickstarter having successful toy campaigns is probably part of the equation as well but it was the Castle that showed mainstream companies like Mattel and Hasbro that they could crowdfund expensive collector oriented items successfully.

    The rise of more public action figure brand managers - love him or hate him Toyguru was EXTREMELY public for a brand manager, much less one of an action figure toy line. He really paved the way for what now almost seems like an expected part of collector based toy lines. While I don't think he did everything right, he did kind of set the benchmark and kind of learn a lot of lessons that later guys like the Brian Flynn over at Super7, NECA's Randy Faulk or the numerous guys over at Hasbro who show up on their weekly Hasbro Pulse streams all kind of learned from.

    These are just a few that immediately come to mind and theres probably TONS more, but its kind of cool to think of how Classics made an impact and really recognize it for how important to the action figure landscape it really was.
    The Horsemen were definitely names before classics, they were all over Toyfare and were at conventions and such. They were making toylines on their own before Mythic Legions. The Legacy Classics had on Legions was scale, before the campaign when they announced at Toy Fair, the Horsemen had a poll about doing 3 3/4 or 6-7 in scale. The push for the latter was huge so it would "fit in with Classics." At this point there is a huge contingent of ML community that have never done toys before ever and was pulled in seeing pics of ML on reddit and such. ML in the smaller scale would have been awesome though, could really have some killer playsets and such, but this route worked well and its incredibly successful. ML would have been a big success with or without classics, but it helped that some collectors had a new 4H figure every month for 7 years.

    Classics was very much the nexus for how toys are made now, I don't think that is much of a revelation (sorry for the pun). But it was also the launching point for a new era of Super7. They were kind of a niche company doing fun little project and had to team with Funko to get larger distribution. Getting to make Classics put them in a different class, leveled them up, and now we get a host of other properties in the MOTUC scale.
    In that regard, 7 inch is now the "Collector" scale. It wasn't new or anything, but now we are seeing this scale adopted as the "adult collectible" size, and that's neat.
    As far as Neitlich, the very nature of a direct to consumer brand would need a spokesperson. I wouldn't agree that he was the first for this but he is a bigger example. John Warden, Jeremy Pawader, Toddy Mac for example were very much always talking not the collector communities, websites, magazines and were very well known. We just didn't have streaming SDCC and toy fair panels before mattycollector so it was just a different way of seeing it. Scott had to connect with us as the project was his baby and if you are direct to consumer, your advertising is basically just talking to people and social media and such. Which yes, he was different than a lot of other toymakers in that regard but I Wouldn't say many of them are still following that example. Hasbro doing "fan first Fridays" is interesting and fun but I think that would have happened anyway, it's just the nature of all business now. But I do agree much that Classics was very important in the transformation of how we collect toys and how we connect with each other (also not an intentional pun but there we are)

  3. #3
    Pillar of the Community hadley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    9,188

    The Legacy of MOTU Classics

    Quote Originally Posted by oansun View Post
    The Legacy Classics had on Legions was scale, before the campaign when they announced at Toy Fair, the Horsemen had a poll about doing 3 3/4 or 6-7 in scale. The push for the latter was huge so it would "fit in with Classics."
    And they donít (except for skeletons and goblins)ÖIím still not over it.
    Please check out my custom figures. The first few stink but I get better.

    https://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?277602-Masters-of-the-Hadleyverse


    I also wrote a fanfic. See the fanfic board. At least four people like it.

  4. #4
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by oansun View Post
    But it was also the launching point for a new era of Super7. They were kind of a niche company doing fun little project and had to team with Funko to get larger distribution.
    Super7 really took advantage of their opportunities with Masters of the Universe (as well as a few other IP's they had). I think it really says a lot in regards to how far you can take something when you have genuine interest in the brand. I actually remember when they were a super tiny magazine and online store in San Francisco... speaking as a Godzilla fan first, I used to order from them all the time. To say they were "niche" is an understatement; they really were a small little shop that just did what they loved. Cool to see how far they have expanded.

  5. #5
    Evil Warrior jibernish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    1,514
    Quote Originally Posted by Creature22 View Post
    Super7 really took advantage of their opportunities with Masters of the Universe (as well as a few other IP's they had). I think it really says a lot in regards to how far you can take something when you have genuine interest in the brand. I actually remember when they were a super tiny magazine and online store in San Francisco... speaking as a Godzilla fan first, I used to order from them all the time. To say they were "niche" is an understatement; they really were a small little shop that just did what they loved. Cool to see how far they have expanded.
    Did you get the Shogun Warriors Godzilla Reaction figure? I love it. They did a great job recreating the original in only 3.75 inches.

    I also like that Super 7 gives everyone who wants one a chance at their new figures (the ultimates line).

    I love Classics. Just wish I could afford more of them. I think they are best toys I've ever held (though my experience with modern toys is small).

  6. #6
    Heroic Warrior DadStrong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    318
    I was a vintage purist for the longest time, when the Commemorative Series released I lost my collective mind. I didn't like 200x at all when I started seeing them roll out and when Classics came out I liked them but it just wasn't vintage to me. After seeing them more and more at toy stores, flea markets, online, etc I thought to myself I am an idiot for not jumping on this. By that time it was 3-4 years in and I was already behind so I just cherry picked my favorites. Lost interest as the prices were starting to rise, sold them all and regretted it. Now I have only my absolute favorites (minus Stinkor ) and contemplate cashing in my 401k and buying everything I can find that I want (only kidding).. So sadly I missed the boat for being hardheaded, I guess my dad was right!
    Instagram: dadhausen

  7. #7
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    72
    Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    Did you get the Shogun Warriors Godzilla Reaction figure? I love it. They did a great job recreating the original in only 3.75 inches.
    I actually passed on it, but have been keeping an eye on what they'll produce next. I grew up on the Trendmasters line initially, which has been gaining a resurgence in popularity in recent years, so I wonder if they'll do anything in tribute to those 90s toys. And as a collector of "vintage" Godzilla (Bullmark/Marusan), I know that Super7 started as fans of that era, so I'm really curious to see if they do anything that pays tribute to those as well. It's a good time to be a fan for sure!



    But back to Classics, I definitely regret not picking a few more up... especially because they were the first He-Man and Skeletor my brother and I had. I still remember my mom asking if I wanted Beastman, for $20, to which I said "nah".

    Oops!

  8. #8
    Evil Warrior jibernish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    1,514
    Quote Originally Posted by DadStrong View Post
    I was a vintage purist for the longest time, when the Commemorative Series released I lost my collective mind. I didn't like 200x at all when I started seeing them roll out and when Classics came out I liked them but it just wasn't vintage to me. After seeing them more and more at toy stores, flea markets, online, etc I thought to myself I am an idiot for not jumping on this. By that time it was 3-4 years in and I was already behind so I just cherry picked my favorites. Lost interest as the prices were starting to rise, sold them all and regretted it. Now I have only my absolute favorites (minus Stinkor ) and contemplate cashing in my 401k and buying everything I can find that I want (only kidding).. So sadly I missed the boat for being hardheaded, I guess my dad was right!
    Classics might be a better investment than the 401k
    I feel you. I had maybe 60 figures from the first few years, up through Spikor. But got a divorce, needed money, didn't have space, and I sold them all except He-man, Skeletor, and the Sorceress. It bugs me every day.

    I've picked up a dozen or so in the last year. Mostly New Adventures and a few POP. But I did score Stratos, Syklone, Shadow Beast, Shikoti, and Gygor for cheap.

    I do miss them. Arghhhh... and I was so upset about not having any shot at a $1500 Castle Grayskull that I decided to build my own. It's coming out well, so I'll have a nice Origins and vintage scale display soon.

  9. #9
    Heroic Warrior Despondor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Subternia
    Posts
    180
    The first well known toy line that I can remember the Four Horsemen sculpting were some of the first ultra-detailed Spawn figures for McFarlane Toys in the late 90s. I think they did the sculpting for much of the figures starting with about Wave 8 or 9. I still have some of the figures from the Wave that really got me into collecting in the first place: Wave 11 - The Dark Ages. This was one of the first times McFarlane Toys started using heavy applications of blackwash to bring out the sculpting details.

    While I will always see MOTU Classics as the ultimate MOTU toy line, my favorite MOTU sculpts are still those of the NECA Staction figures. The Four Horsemen really showed how excellent their designs and sculpts could be with the Staction figures.

  10. #10
    Loco Motu Vato ehenyo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    10,537
    Classics will always be the best, and while I think the Revelation characters were initially terrible (He-Man and Skeletor still are), there are some figures that are beginning to rival them: specifically Moss Man and Scare Glow.
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

  11. #11
    Heroic Warrior Snake_Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    971
    I'm afraid that, for me, the lasting Legacy of Masters of The Universe Classics will be to violently sour me against anything MoTU that has the nerve to try to follow that incredibly tough act!

    I have been so unrelentingly SPOILED by the concept of just sitting back, and letting figure after gorgeous figure just flop on my doorstep month after month after month! I couldn't possibly go back to attempting to grab anything off of a store shelf, I'm just THAT spoiled!

    Not that anything MoTU:Origins that isn't He-Man or Skeletor has ever once flitted past my field of vision. Actually, I DID see a single Hordak at a Target once, that some scalper evidently dropped while rushing towards checkout with the rest of whatever was in that case! I put him back on the "Supporting Cast" peg, next to the double-digits of the Heroic and Evil leads that evidently aren't worth scalping.

    The hobby has obviously passed me by while I was in my "Classics" cocoon for nearly a decade. I just can't be bothered any more. But I have NO regrets... :^)
    "Listen Closely-- This is the TRUTH, No mere Myth!"

  12. #12
    Heroic Warrior DadStrong's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    318
    Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    Classics might be a better investment than the 401k
    I feel you. I had maybe 60 figures from the first few years, up through Spikor. But got a divorce, needed money, didn't have space, and I sold them all except He-man, Skeletor, and the Sorceress. It bugs me every day.

    I've picked up a dozen or so in the last year. Mostly New Adventures and a few POP. But I did score Stratos, Syklone, Shadow Beast, Shikoti, and Gygor for cheap.

    I do miss them. Arghhhh... and I was so upset about not having any shot at a $1500 Castle Grayskull that I decided to build my own. It's coming out well, so I'll have a nice Origins and vintage scale display soon.
    Yeah in 2009 when my oldest was born, my ex had severe complications and my daughter was born at 30 weeks and weighed 1lb 15oz an required a 2 month stay in the NICU.. So as you can imagine medical bills were astronomical for them both so I basically sold everything I owned (MOTU, GI Joe, Thundercats, Japanese Vinyls) except my car to pay bills and live off my single income. It was rough times but it's shaped me to be who I am now. Oldest is now a 12 year old healthy, smart little lady.
    Instagram: dadhausen

  13. #13
    Heroic Warrior PwrdOff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    174
    Personally, the experience of collecting MOTUC made me a lot more cognizant of the economic realities of the toy industry than I ever wanted to be, though this is probably at least 95% due to Toyguru always going off about it. Before, I always kind of just assumed that toy companies had the capacity to make whatever figure they wanted in whatever quantity, and that their profit margins were so enormous that a few pegwarmers here and there wouldn't matter a lick to the bottom line. Now I refuse to believe that a line that was this popular was ever in as dire straits as Toyguru always made it out to be, but now I can sort of understand the reasons why we will never get a full reproduction of New Adventures line or why there's no chance that some company will just pick up the license and start re-releasing every MOTUC figure from the beginning, though that would be pretty awesome if anyone were to ever do that.

    Also, being generally used to toy companies cutting corners at every opportunity, MOTUC was a good demonstration of why they don't always go all out on every release. The figures in this line were almost TOO premium, because while having all those accessories and display options is nice, at the end of the day if you are building up a massive collection most of those figures will just get posed once and sit on a shelf next to dozens of others. Paying $30/$40/$50 a pop for random guys who are just there to fill out a display gets quite aggravating, never mind the crazy secondary market prices these days. At the end of the day, I'm glad that the line exists and I definitely had a fun experience while it lasted, but I really have no interest in going back and trying to collect it again.

  14. #14
    Heroic Warrior chaosMonkeyPoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Houston, Tx
    Posts
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by oansun View Post
    The Horsemen were definitely names before classics, they were all over Toyfare and were at conventions and such. They were making toylines on their own before Mythic Legions. The Legacy Classics had on Legions was scale, before the campaign when they announced at Toy Fair, the Horsemen had a poll about doing 3 3/4 or 6-7 in scale. The push for the latter was huge so it would "fit in with Classics." At this point there is a huge contingent of ML community that have never done toys before ever and was pulled in seeing pics of ML on reddit and such. ML in the smaller scale would have been awesome though, could really have some killer playsets and such, but this route worked well and its incredibly successful. ML would have been a big success with or without classics, but it helped that some collectors had a new 4H figure every month for 7 years.
    I definitely wasn't saying the 4H were total unknows or anything - but the number of toy collectors familiar with who they were was a lot lower than it was prior to Classics. You still had to be "in the know" to really have an idea who they were. I remember back in the old Toybiz days of Marvel Legends myself and a few others talking about how stoked we were whenever we saw the 4H step in and do some freelance work for Marvel Legends (the BAF Apocalypse springs to mind) or NECA (I think they did the Mirage turtles and Castlevania stuff) and always having a bunch of people asking who they were. The DC Universe Classics line was a huge jump in exposure for them too but I really consider the Classics line and the Mattycollector convention panels (that I think just about everyone in the toy collector world at the time considered the main event as far as toy events at SDCC and NYCC) we're the things that blew them up and made them relatively mainstream names as far as toy collectors go.


    Quote Originally Posted by Snake_Man View Post
    I'm afraid that, for me, the lasting Legacy of Masters of The Universe Classics will be to violently sour me against anything MoTU that has the nerve to try to follow that incredibly tough act!

    I have been so unrelentingly SPOILED by the concept of just sitting back, and letting figure after gorgeous figure just flop on my doorstep month after month after month! I couldn't possibly go back to attempting to grab anything off of a store shelf, I'm just THAT spoiled!
    THAT IS A FACT. I haven't had an active MOTU collection in years due to space reasons, and after getting my hands on some of the new Masterverse stuff (which I legitimately like) I was struck with so much nostalgia I had to bust out what remains of my collection and set up another display just to have those out again. Now I'm even going back and picking up extras to keep MOC of stuff I really love or just things I sold and feel stupid I let go. I predominantly think of myself as a Marvel or Transformers collector but I cannot say I've ever loved a line quite like I loved Classics.
    Last edited by chaosMonkeyPoo; August 7, 2021 at 05:30pm.

  15. #15
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    72
    Adding another comment here, since I didn't really give much of my own two cents on Classics but think it could be an interesting aspect as I was one of the rare examples of someone who actually grew up with them (that is, I was a kid when they came out).

    In that regard I think Classics were a huge deal because they offered us the chance to actually have figures of the original characters as they appeared in the classic art and mini comics. And while I do think that I might have taken the line for granted (we only had a couple of them), they were amazing at the time and there was a lot of excitement and talk on if they would ever make it to stores, or if a movie really was on the table (remember all those plans with John Woo as director?). I thought (still think) that it's a line with a lot of potential.

    It was also interesting in that you actually had a real window to order them back then; they usually took a few days to sell out (unlike now, where the fun of online exclusives are automatically ruined by bots and scalpers buying the entire stock in seconds). I think MattyCollector would release a new figure every month, at least for those first couple. My only real regrets looking back are passing on Beastman and Mer-Man... we had a McDonald's figure of Beastman and a Commemorative Mer-Man that we got off eBay (but at least that introduced us to the original mini comic), so we figured it wasn't worth it to buy more of them.

    We were very much the type of kids who'd mix all eras of MOTU because you had to make do with what you had.

  16. #16
    Evil Warrior jibernish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    1,514
    Quote Originally Posted by DadStrong View Post
    Yeah in 2009 when my oldest was born, my ex had severe complications and my daughter was born at 30 weeks and weighed 1lb 15oz an required a 2 month stay in the NICU.. So as you can imagine medical bills were astronomical for them both so I basically sold everything I owned (MOTU, GI Joe, Thundercats, Japanese Vinyls) except my car to pay bills and live off my single income. It was rough times but it's shaped me to be who I am now. Oldest is now a 12 year old healthy, smart little lady.
    I'm sorry to hear that but I'm sure you'd do it again. I'm glad to hear your daughter is healthy. Man that would have scared me half to death.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Creature22 View Post
    Adding another comment here, since I didn't really give much of my own two cents on Classics but think it could be an interesting aspect as I was one of the rare examples of someone who actually grew up with them (that is, I was a kid when they came out).

    In that regard I think Classics were a huge deal because they offered us the chance to actually have figures of the original characters as they appeared in the classic art and mini comics. And while I do think that I might have taken the line for granted (we only had a couple of them), they were amazing at the time and there was a lot of excitement and talk on if they would ever make it to stores, or if a movie really was on the table (remember all those plans with John Woo as director?). I thought (still think) that it's a line with a lot of potential.

    It was also interesting in that you actually had a real window to order them back then; they usually took a few days to sell out (unlike now, where the fun of online exclusives are automatically ruined by bots and scalpers buying the entire stock in seconds). I think MattyCollector would release a new figure every month, at least for those first couple. My only real regrets looking back are passing on Beastman and Mer-Man... we had a McDonald's figure of Beastman and a Commemorative Mer-Man that we got off eBay (but at least that introduced us to the original mini comic), so we figured it wasn't worth it to buy more of them.

    We were very much the type of kids who'd mix all eras of MOTU because you had to make do with what you had.
    Well, while I collected, the popular figures sold out in minutes. Trap jaw, battle cat, the sorceress, fisto... it was tough.

  17. #17
    Heroic Warrior Rikki Roxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    nWo Country
    Posts
    1,301
    I said "screw it" and just settled for Filmation Fisto. Some of these characters I can't even pretend to justify the expense. I have *A* Fisto and that's fine with me. Classics Fisto is a great-looking figure but I don't think I could ever swing that much for a single figure.

    I did get my Sorceress today, though. She's one of the few expensive characters I might consider getting both the regular and Filmation versions of. We'll see. But for now this one is terrific.

    Most of the top-tier villains are pretty expensive, so after I get my Man-At-Arms I think everything else is more or less gonna be, "If I get it, that's awesome, but if not then oh well. I've "only" got about twenty of these between the regular Classics and Filmation style, and I definitely wish I had some more villains and so on but you can't have everything.

    I don't plan to stop outright but I will probably have to scale back to just getting one every few months instead of one or two per month like I've been doing. Might have to just save up and get one, two or three a year, depending.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

  18. #18
    Heroic Warrior Brasco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Lake Grove, NY
    Posts
    1,095
    Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    Classics might be a better investment than the 401k
    I feel you. I had maybe 60 figures from the first few years, up through Spikor. But got a divorce, needed money, didn't have space, and I sold them all except He-man, Skeletor, and the Sorceress. It bugs me every day.

    I've picked up a dozen or so in the last year. Mostly New Adventures and a few POP. But I did score Stratos, Syklone, Shadow Beast, Shikoti, and Gygor for cheap.

    I do miss them. Arghhhh... and I was so upset about not having any shot at a $1500 Castle Grayskull that I decided to build my own. It's coming out well, so I'll have a nice Origins and vintage scale display soon.
    I know that feeling all to well and I feel your pain. When I was in my mid 20ís I sold off most of my vintage. Bills and life etcÖ It bothered me for a long time and ended up costing me a fortune to get them all back(still havenít replaced a few)

    Then about 5 years ago my wife was pregnant with our second child, this time it was my classics turn I sold the most expensive ones to furnish the new room. I ended up getting a lot back over the years but am still missing a decent amount. They are just crazy expensive. One dayÖ.
    "There's no back door to heaven just a front door to hell" - DIO RIP

  19. #19
    Evil Warrior jibernish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    1,514
    Quote Originally Posted by Brasco View Post
    I know that feeling all to well and I feel your pain. When I was in my mid 20ís I sold off most of my vintage. Bills and life etcÖ It bothered me for a long time and ended up costing me a fortune to get them all back(still havenít replaced a few)

    Then about 5 years ago my wife was pregnant with our second child, this time it was my classics turn I sold the most expensive ones to furnish the new room. I ended up getting a lot back over the years but am still missing a decent amount. They are just crazy expensive. One dayÖ.
    Ugh. I guess you have the family though, right?

    I actually was lucky enough to get a Fisto on day 1. $20-25? I cant remember. Makes me ill to see what it goes for now. They are great figures but that's crazy money.

  20. #20
    Heroic Warrior sirsniffy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Jersey City, NJ
    Posts
    2,771
    I think Classics not only electrified the adult collector market, it's subscription model gave other companies a template for connecting with fans and retaining longtime customers. Also, prior to classics, I had never seen fans engaging with the actual creators of the product to this degree.

    Also I liked having Scott Neitlich (Toyguru) as the face of things. It felt like MOTU had it's version of Stan Lee (Marvel) after Lou Scheimer passed. Loved getting to meet the 4 Horsemen and various employees who worked on this line. Got to learn so much about toy production, got to learn new terminology I never used before. So it was also kind of educational.


    I still say Classics was a crazy, wacky, once in a lifetime fluke that should technically not have worked, but it happened! Also Classics and MOTU put Super 7 on the map. If they hadn't got involved with MOTU, they would likely still be making wind up Godzillas, hollow plastic grab bag party favor toys for Party City and Hot Topic, and definitely wouldn't be making highly articulated figure projects and products.

  21. #21
    Heroic Warrior Iluvart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    809
    I got into Classics fairly late, not knowing that there was this online collectors' market and subscription based model for MOTU figures.

    I didn't even know who the 4H were. But one look at the figures I could see, to me it just felt right. The amount of articulation, while not a lot compared to modern figures, was enough for me, the scale and heft of the figures gave them shelf presence. And most of the figures, along with the accessories that came with them, just made them great.

  22. #22
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    West Eternia
    Posts
    76
    Classics was and kinda still is the #1 BEST all time fav toyline/highlight of entire collecting career.
    Scott Toyguru is THE MAN and did everything nearly 100% perfectly(except the fat armored figures, prob my only major disappointment of classics when some figures received those overly bloated overlay/armors, Blade still looks like he's drowning in his armor lol) but man got nothing but respect for the guy that brought the single BEST toyline ever in our lives.

    this is fun thread, brings up some very valid points, never actually realized how much classics did to shape the current collector market.

    biggest regret during the classics legacy was not totally embracing the filmation line and Super 7 when they got the license. was soooo broke when the filmation sub went up and just couldnt do it at all and now its like dammit- i could got credit cards for it haha.

    would b so rad to hang out with Scott, talk to him about toys/Heman and stuff
    Last edited by Mr.Oz; August 10, 2021 at 12:43am.

  23. #23
    Heroic Warrior Rikki Roxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    nWo Country
    Posts
    1,301
    I picked up an Orko (with Prince Adam) online which should be here Monday or Tuesday. Getting close to finishing off the "Must-haves".

    So here's a question: What was the general reaction like to getting Prince Adam in with the Orko figure? Was it something they advertised, or treated like a "surprise" or what? I was out of the loop back then. But I thought it was pretty cool when I found out about it. Like it's kinda weird but I guess it also kinda makes sense, maybe? I don't know.

    Just curious.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

  24. #24
    Pillar of the Community hadley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Kennesaw, GA
    Posts
    9,188
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikki Roxx View Post
    I picked up an Orko (with Prince Adam) online which should be here Monday or Tuesday. Getting close to finishing off the "Must-haves".

    So here's a question: What was the general reaction like to getting Prince Adam in with the Orko figure? Was it something they advertised, or treated like a "surprise" or what? I was out of the loop back then. But I thought it was pretty cool when I found out about it. Like it's kinda weird but I guess it also kinda makes sense, maybe? I don't know.

    Just curious.

    I seem to recall that there was a small group that did not appreciate the gag, as it meant that Prince Adam would never get a single card release and that a carded collection would look incomplete. As far as it being a surprise, I donít recall that.
    Please check out my custom figures. The first few stink but I get better.

    https://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?277602-Masters-of-the-Hadleyverse


    I also wrote a fanfic. See the fanfic board. At least four people like it.

  25. #25
    Heroic Warrior Rikki Roxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    nWo Country
    Posts
    1,301
    Quote Originally Posted by hadley View Post
    I seem to recall that there was a small group that did not appreciate the gag, as it meant that Prince Adam would never get a single card release and that a carded collection would look incomplete. As far as it being a surprise, I donít recall that.
    Huh, that is an interesting point which I hadn't considered, since I generally open my figures. Yeah that's kind of a bummer, not having a single-card Adam to display. And it's kinda weird how he's just down there taking a nap or whatever. I picked up the Filmation Adam from Super 7 a while ago so getting this one with Orko is kinda like a "bonus" for me anyways.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •