Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Legacy of MOTU Classics

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by ProteinNerd View Post
    What I find interesting is that Classics are seen as a LOT more valuable and command a MUCH higher price on the secondary market than even the original vintage figures.

I mean you can pick up the average vintage figure for like $15-$50/60 depending on the figure and condition vs maybe $70 at the bottom end for a Classics figure with no demand to over $600 for a high demand like Fisto or BA Faker!!

Thats crazy that Classics is valued higher than the line that started it all...
    Thatís a supply and demand issue, the vintage figures arenít rare at all while Classics were produced to order with very little overage so the supply doesnít meet the demand so those Classics are going to cost a lot more than vintage. Thatís simple economics though. Had they been successful at getting them to retail Iíd say the prices would be about the same as a vintage figure.

Sure classics doesn't have as much articulation as other more modern figures, but man they still look great on shelf. They can pull off most poses pretty well and have a presence that most other figures don't. I started getting back in to Marvel Legends a few years back (once a boat load of X-Men started coming out) as well as a few Star Wars and GIJoe figures and while they are great, they just don't have the heftiness that classics has. Arguably marvel legends, gijoe, star wars, etc... should not have the giant muscled bodies that MOTUC has, but man a classics figure next to most anyone else makes them look puny.

Plus classics just has a character selection I don't think any masters line will ever be able to beat again. I mean there's demand for characters like Hunga or Songster or various concept or characters that only had a sketch done. If I went and demanded Hunga be made in say Origins, most people would tell me that there's a boat load of other characters that are more important. They aren't wrong - but the fact that classics got so far in where people have to look to what concept characters would be cool to make says something.
    Right or wrong, buying a sub tells Mattel you want more MOTUC figures. Not buying does tells them you don't. Don't let MOTUC end early because you might not like their marketing strategy! Plus polls show you won't regret subbing!

One of the true fan minority - happy MOTU fans!

www.marveltoys.net - the source for marvel figure information.

Quote Originally Posted by Seril View Post
    Sure classics doesn't have as much articulation as other more modern figures, but man they still look great on shelf. They can pull off most poses pretty well and have a presence that most other figures don't. I started getting back in to Marvel Legends a few years back (once a boat load of X-Men started coming out) as well as a few Star Wars and GIJoe figures and while they are great, they just don't have the heftiness that classics has. Arguably marvel legends, gijoe, star wars, etc... should not have the giant muscled bodies that MOTUC has, but man a classics figure next to most anyone else makes them look puny.

Plus classics just has a character selection I don't think any masters line will ever be able to beat again. I mean there's demand for characters like Hunga or Songster or various concept or characters that only had a sketch done. If I went and demanded Hunga be made in say Origins, most people would tell me that there's a boat load of other characters that are more important. They aren't wrong - but the fact that classics got so far in where people have to look to what concept characters would be cool to make says something.
    And that's a specific niche market that Super7 is perfectly positioned to cater to.

In Stereo Where Available Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Seril View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    And that's a specific niche market that Super7 is perfectly positioned to cater to.
    Yeah, how deep the line went with characters from different factions, incarnations, concept figures, etc. is pretty damn impressive. I have pretty much a complete MOTUC (and Club Grayskull) collection, and I'm very happy with it. Admittedly, as it went on and things were dipping more and more into obscure territory, there were times when I questioned continuing to be completest with the line as there are a some obscure figures that I could have lived without.... and there are some never made that I would prefer more. But different people had different preferences in that regard. The point being is that we aren't likely to see another line like it again.

I have been collecting Origins and Masterverse, but I'm not as hard core of being a completest with them. For example, with Origins, I'm passing on that new BA He-Man / Battlecat 2 pack since I already have the individual releases, and while there are some differences with that set, it is nothing that I feel that I "need." If something like that happened during Classics, I would have been all over it. Likewise, while I had intended to order this year's Powercon exclusives, they went so far that I missed out. Admittedly I didn't make it a point to be online at the "zero hour" to get them like I often did with Classics. I'm a bit bummed (mostly in regards to the Grayskull accessories pack, which I hope gets reissued in some form), but for the rest of it, it's not the end of the world. The only figure out of the rest that I'm a little disappointed to miss out on is the blue Hordak. But I do have the Super7 vintage style cartoon based Hordak figure that is in the same scale. It doesn't have the same articulation, but for display, it gets the job done. Duplicat is pretty cool, and if made available again I will get one (there's no way I'm paying ebay prices for it), but being in the Origins scale and not Classics makes it far less of a "must have" for me. Since Classics already went as deep as it did, when other MOTU figure offerings don't line up with it, while it won't necessarily make me avoid those products, it does make them far less of a "must have."

I do have all Masterverse figures so far, but it's not like there is a ton out there yet. Depending on where it goes (especially if it dips into other versions of characters beyond Revelation), I may end up picking and choosing what I get. My biggest disapointment with them is the scale difference compared to MOTUC. I get that Mattel is going for a lower price point, so these were never going to have the degree of paint apps and so forth from Classics, which I can live with. But the proportions are just different enough in most cases to not quite quite fit with Classics. And the odd thing is that the Masterverse figures are a little bigger than Classics, so sticking with those proportions (even if also doing things like the updated articulation and styling the figures so far after Revelation) likely wouldn't have added to the cost and more likely would have reduced it a little. But it would have been nice if the scale was close enough that MOTUC and Masterverse could more easily be mixed together. That way for characters or variants that make it into Masterverse that never were made in MOTUC, at least they could be displayed easily together.

I know there are rumors swirling now about the possible return of MOTU in Classics/Ultimates form through Super7 given their presence at Powercon this year, which would be very cool if that happens. Of course having the better paint apps, etc. is very nice, and I would enjoy a proper return to the Classics form. But with their Ultimates figures pricing at $55 each now, it is a bit much, especially with all of the other lines they are now making as Ultimates. So part of me wants the level of detail that S7 will provide, but part of me likes the Masterverse pricing that I'd like to see things go that route (if the figures were to line up well enough with MOTUC).

The point is that while I am still collecting other MOTU product, I highly doubt that anything will top Classics for me.

That would be awesome if Super7 were to announce they can do Classics again. Iím not going to get my hopes up.
    Danielsan52

Most wanted Classics figures:
    Stretch Neck, Vypor, Sharella, Secret Liquid of Life Teela, Mini-Comics Tri-Klops, Princess Rana, Golden Rod/Aramesh, RoboWoman, Prince Dakon, Shezar, NA Sorceress, Ultimate Goddess, Lt. Andra

I broke down and picked up one of the Super 7 Filmation Roboto figures after seeing it on BBTS all the time. Pretty spiffy!
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA