Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Legacy of MOTU Classics

Outside of the initial wave 1 He-Man, Skeletor and Beast-Man, I never bought any Classics. I didn't love the packaging, so that may have been why I didn't keep up with it. The figures are great.

I sold the loose He-Man and Beast-Man last year for probably way less than I should have and now regret it. Never selling Skeletor.

Question: How would you feel about Mattel re-releasing all the Classics figures with a more vintage style card to differentiate from the original line? It could be a mix of retail and online like Origins is now.
    Last edited by Hamato Yoshi; August 13, 2021 at 05:02pm.

If it means I could find a Classics Man-At-Arms for less than $250 I'd say "Fine, do it."
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

I was lucky enough that a great guy here on the .org sent me my first Classics fig as a gift. I immediately tried to buy everything that had already been out. This was early on so I was successful/super lucky. Had another great guy here that I basically bought my entire collection from. The BEST toy investment I've ever made and by far my favorite pieces in my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by chaosMonkeyPoo View Post
    These are just a few that immediately come to mind and theres probably TONS more, but its kind of cool to think of how Classics made an impact and really recognize it for how important to the action figure landscape it really was.
    I'd say there were probably many guys like me who'd never delved into adult toy collecting and sites that specialize those types of things that are now because of the classics line.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hamato Yoshi View Post
    Question: How would you feel about Mattel re-releasing all the Classics figures with a more vintage style card to differentiate from the original line? It could be a mix of retail and online like Origins is now.
    I'd have mixed feelings. I would already have these figures and then still probably want to buy them again.
    "A fool always finds a greater fool to admire him."

Super7 did something like this for a few figures already right? Like Super7 I believe Mattel would only do a handful figure and that's it. Although I do wonder how they would handle some of the more unconventional releases like Orrko and the giants. I myself would buy a few but I rather sent my money on Masterverse.
    Princesses of Power enthusiast

I wonder if Revelation came out during the heyday of MattyCollector/MOTUC, would we see those designs incorporated into Classics, ala 200X?
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

That's a neat idea, to which I say "Why not?"

Quote Originally Posted by Iluvart View Post
    That's a neat idea, to which I say "Why not?"
    I would think Mattel is aware of the prices on the secondary market and the high demand. Hell, you could even stick these in the adult collector section in electronics.

I do think it would rub some Classics collectors the wrong way, but when has that ever stopped a corporation from releasing a potentially money-making product.

No need for Scottís bios either; just keep it simple. They can even use the Masterverse sku.

Pipe dream, I know.

What I find interesting is that Classics are seen as a LOT more valuable and command a MUCH higher price on the secondary market than even the original vintage figures.

I mean you can pick up the average vintage figure for like $15-$50/60 depending on the figure and condition vs maybe $70 at the bottom end for a Classics figure with no demand to over $600 for a high demand like Fisto or BA Faker!!

Thats crazy that Classics is valued higher than the line that started it all...

My Orko (with Prince Adam) came today. Pretty great! Although I'm a bit surprised at how small Orko is. Is this the smallest "full-size" Orko figure ever released? Sure seems like it. From what I can see of it the Adam figure is pretty great, too.

Really wish I'd had the means to get these when they were new. Still saving up for Man-At-Arms.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Quote Originally Posted by Rikki Roxx View Post
    My Orko (with Prince Adam) came today. Pretty great! Although I'm a bit surprised at how small Orko is. Is this the smallest "full-size" Orko figure ever released? Sure seems like it. From what I can see of it the Adam figure is pretty great, too.

Really wish I'd had the means to get these when they were new. Still saving up for Man-At-Arms.
    I know it's smaller than the vintage, S7, and Origins. The only thing I know is smaller is some easer of Orko but I don't think that counts.

Outside of the initial wave 1 He-Man, Skeletor and Beast-Man, I never bought any Classics. I didn't love the packaging, so that may have been why I didn't keep up with it. The figures are great.

I sold the loose He-Man and Beast-Man last year for probably way less than I should have and now regret it. Never selling Skeletor.

I would buy every single one. I would buy a subscription too. I wasn't in the position to do that when Classics was around the first time. But I can, and would, now.

The only core characters I have are Skeletor, He-Man, Sorceress, Stratos. I also have Leech and Sy-Klone if you count them. The rest are POP and NA and a few other C listers. I'd love to buy more but I don't feel they are worth $100 and up.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Reviews2D View Post
    I know it's smaller than the vintage, S7, and Origins. The only thing I know is smaller is some easer of Orko but I don't think that counts.
    The Eternia Minis version and the Dollar Store one are both smaller, but like said above, those aren't full sized versions.

Would be cool to get an articulated, properly sized Cringer some day. The Classics is the only good option, but it costs way too much.

- - - Updated - - -

I wish Mattel/Super7, whoever could just put up a preorder and see if it would make them enough profit to justify it. Mattel is just not good at estimating demand for their products. So whatever numbers they have they are telling them this isn't worth it are not likely correct numbers.

It's like the weather here in Austin. When the weather station/website says the high today will be 98, you know the high will be anything other than 98 degrees. Mattel has just always floundered when it comes to how many of something to make. There's no way for them to really know unless they did a preorder for various waves and see how many people want them. And advertise them on MOTUR and the CGI show - give it a real chance to succeed.

I don't think any of this will ever happen, but I'd love it if it did.

I feel compelled to offer a contrary opinion to Classics. As Iíve stated before, I didnít get into Classics because after the abandonment of the MYP cartoon, 200x Keldor, the She-Ra call-in campaign (where a Mattel employee basically laughed at me over the phone and told me that no one was buying 200x toys), I didnít trust Mattel to follow-through with Classics.

Now Classics has literally a legendary reputation among MOTU fans. Sure, there are some gripes about some figures, exclusivity, etc., but mostly I see people - and Iím not being mean when I say this - fawning and drooling over Classics figures.

I donít get it.

Classics figures look more like dolls to me - lifeless dolls. They ainít got no soul, man! If they arenít posed, they look lifeless and doll-like. And the joints really, really take away from the look.

Also, yes, the line went DEEP, but I couldnít care less for some (most?) of the figures created.

Now, Iíll open myself up for rebuttal and scorn: I think the 200x NECA staction figures are the penultimate MOTU sculpts, with the 200x action figures right behind (aside from a Mondo figure or something). They arenít perfect. The Sorceress is one of my favorite characters, but the 200x Sorceress is nothing to write home about. Clawful, Beast Man, Whiplash, Stinkor... amazing - just to name a few.

- - - Updated - - -

I would think Mattel is aware of the prices on the secondary market and the high demand. Hell, you could even stick these in the adult collector section in electronics.

I do think it would rub some Classics collectors the wrong way, but when has that ever stopped a corporation from releasing a potentially money-making product.

No need for Scottís bios either; just keep it simple. They can even use the Masterverse sku.

Pipe dream, I know.
    Yes. I have very mixed feelings about Classics bios. And The Mighty Spector...

Quote Originally Posted by FASAfan View Post
    I feel compelled to offer a contrary opinion to Classics. As Iíve stated before, I didnít get into Classics because after the abandonment of the MYP cartoon, 200x Keldor, the She-Ra call-in campaign (where a Mattel employee basically laughed at me over the phone and told me that no one was buying 200x toys), I didnít trust Mattel to follow-through with Classics.

Now Classics has literally a legendary reputation among MOTU fans. Sure, there are some gripes about some figures, exclusivity, etc., but mostly I see people - and Iím not being mean when I say this - fawning and drooling over Classics figures.

I donít get it.

Classics figures look more like dolls to me - lifeless dolls. They ainít got no soul, man! If they arenít posed, they look lifeless and doll-like. And the joints really, really take away from the look.

Also, yes, the line went DEEP, but I couldnít care less for some (most?) of the figures created.

Now, Iíll open myself up for rebuttal and scorn: I think the 200x NECA staction figures are the penultimate MOTU sculpts, with the 200x action figures right behind (aside from a Mondo figure or something). They arenít perfect. The Sorceress is one of my favorite characters, but the 200x Sorceress is nothing to write home about. Clawful, Beast Man, Whiplash, Stinkor... amazing - just to name a few.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes. I have very mixed feelings about Classics bios. And The Mighty Spector...
    I have heard others with similar opinions. Here's my take, not to argue with you at all:

As far as Classics is concerned, I don't like the ab crunch. I feel the rest of the articulation doesn't hinder the aesthetics. They don't look any more lifeless than any other MOTU toyline to me. I think the paint and the sculpts are the best of any action figure line so far, MOTU wise.

I personally do like the depth of the line for the most part. There are a some that I can't ever care about, like Dog-a-tor or whatever his name was?

I think the Stactions are the best visual interpretation of the mythos so far, for the most part. A few characters here and there aren't so great. I guess I just prefer an action figure to a statue - though I'd buy re-releases of the stactions in a heartbeat.

I dislike the BIOS overall and wish they didn't exist. Spector is the worst figure of the line for so many reasons. He shouldn't exist at all.

Thanks for the great comment. Sometimes I donít know how to express myself fully on boards without sounding blunt. I mean no disrespect to anyone at anytime.

I have learned that some (most) folks prefer action figures over statues, etc. I didnít realize I was on the opposite side of that until fairly recently. It occurred to me that for the money I could dish out for the Origins-sized figs (like the PC exclusives), I could get a beautiful statue or maquette or other _art_ piece.

Everyone should enjoy what they enjoy. Love the discussion!

Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    I have heard others with similar opinions. Here's my take, not to argue with you at all:

As far as Classics is concerned, I don't like the ab crunch. I feel the rest of the articulation doesn't hinder the aesthetics. They don't look any more lifeless than any other MOTU toyline to me. I think the paint and the sculpts are the best of any action figure line so far, MOTU wise.

I personally do like the depth of the line for the most part. There are a some that I can't ever care about, like Dog-a-tor or whatever his name was?

I think the Stactions are the best visual interpretation of the mythos so far, for the most part. A few characters here and there aren't so great. I guess I just prefer an action figure to a statue - though I'd buy re-releases of the stactions in a heartbeat.

I dislike the BIOS overall and wish they didn't exist. Spector is the worst figure of the line for so many reasons. He shouldn't exist at all.

Thanks for the great comment. Sometimes I don’t know how to express myself fully on boards without sounding blunt. I mean no disrespect to anyone at anytime.

I have learned that some (most) folks prefer action figures over statues, etc. I didn’t realize I was on the opposite side of that until fairly recently. It occurred to me that for the money I could dish out for the Origins-sized figs (like the PC exclusives), I could get a beautiful statue or maquette or other _art_ piece.

Everyone should enjoy what they enjoy. Love the discussion!
    You didn't seem blunt or disrespectful to me. It's good to hear different opinions.

I've been considering getting into some statues myself. I wonder if I'd change sides too. I've loved statues since I was a kid, just never have had any. I do have The Sorceress 200x statue. And I've been trying to hold off and not buy that Tweeterhead Teela statue. I really want it though. I also am looking for a good deal on the PCS Sorceress Filmation statue. I love that thing so much. She's my favorite character in MOTU and I'd buy that if I could find a good deal. I haven't seen it for less than $1500 though. Ugh.

Are you mostly buying the Stactions then? They are super nice for sure. They definitely look better, to me, than any figures released so far. Even better than the Mondo figures, again in my opinion. I personally think the Mondo figures have a problem with the length of their legs. They are too long - it's off putting to me. So I've passed on that line - however if they released a great Sorceress or Spikor I'd probably nab them.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by ProteinNerd View Post
    What I find interesting is that Classics are seen as a LOT more valuable and command a MUCH higher price on the secondary market than even the original vintage figures.

I mean you can pick up the average vintage figure for like $15-$50/60 depending on the figure and condition vs maybe $70 at the bottom end for a Classics figure with no demand to over $600 for a high demand like Fisto or BA Faker!!

Thats crazy that Classics is valued higher than the line that started it all...
    Yes, this is spot on.....to think that figures that are like 10-12 years old are worth more than vintage figures that are like 40 years old makes absolutely no sense to me!

I like the look of the Stactions a lot, but count me in the "I'd always buy an action figure before a statue or mini-statue" group.

Back in the day I did buy a Hordak Staction to go with my 200X figures after Mattel cancelled the figure line, but he's the only one I have so far. And his staff broke.

I do like 'em but I'd honestly rather buy more of the Classics and 200X figures I'm missing first and foremost.

Quote Originally Posted by Night Ghast View Post
    Yes, this is spot on.....to think that figures that are like 10-12 years old are worth more than vintage figures that are like 40 years old makes absolutely no sense to me!
    There are a couple of reasons I can give, Classics being the definitive version of any character, and they were not sold at retail so there were less produced.

Quote Originally Posted by Snake_Man View Post
    I'm afraid that, for me, the lasting Legacy of Masters of The Universe Classics will be to violently sour me against anything MoTU that has the nerve to try to follow that incredibly tough act!
    I agree totally. Classics has spoiled me for further collecting of MOTU really. I absolutely adore the aesthetic that the 4H created for these. The absolute breadth of the line, willing to mine every iteration of the property and use concept sketches and foreign media to expand it beyond it's vintage parameters set the tone for what I wish every figure line I collect would do.

Also, the mix-and-matchability of the parts made Classics a dream line for customizers - a feature the 4H have definitely taken advantage of in their own Mythic Legions offerings. The ability to create whole new characters with a few simple boil and pops and a splash of paint was intoxicating. I'm so glad I had the means and the foresight to amass a huge reserve of extras so I can continue customizing for years yet. But I do miss the days when custom fodder could be had relatively cheap and easy, now you practically have to sell an organ to afford figures you only want to cannibalize for parts, making it not worth it.

But spoiled is a good word because I just can't with Origins. The sculpts look soft and simple next to my classics and I just don't want them. Even Masterverse is a tough call for me. I will be tempted by some of updated looks of Revelations (hello Tri-Klops) but I sure wish the proportions hewed a little closer to Classics - especially the head sizes, and I don't have it in me to be a completist for that line like I was slavishly for classics.

Sigh.

- - - Updated - - -

Personally as someone that has every Classics figure released I would be ecstatic if they decided to do this. I don't care a fig about the "value" of my classics figures on the secondary market and would love a chance to buy more of them again so I could continue to create customs to fit in with my Classics display. As an added bonus I wouldn't get called "selfish" by people who don't have classics and can't afford them now for customizing the extra Classics I do have.

If Mattel decided to do this it would make me so very happy... which is why I'm confident they won't do it - at least not any time soon. Also, if I'm not mistaken, Mattel might have trouble simply reissuing many of their classics as I believe some of the molds were damaged. That was the word from Super7 when they were doing some of their MOTU Ultimates and Collector's Choice - we were told they had to get new molds made for certain things because the original molds were no longer viable.

- - - Updated - - -

Now, Iíll open myself up for rebuttal and scorn: I think the 200x NECA staction figures are the penultimate MOTU sculpts, with the 200x action figures right behind (aside from a Mondo figure or something)...
    At the risk of sounding pedantic... if you think the Stactions are the penultimate MOTU sculpts, with 200x behind those... what do you believe are the ultimate sculpts? Is that where Mondo comes in? Vintage?

Just curious since it seems like you are a big fan of the Staction sculpts I'm wondering what you are ranking them second behind?

Speaking as someone who was a major Star Wars toy collector before MOTU Classics, I have to say that MOTUC is my favourite toy line of all time.

I still love SW toys, especially the original Kenner toys of the 70's and 80's, but MOTUC blew everything else away, including the original MOTU toy line for me.

Sure there's still a few things I'd like in Classics, Attak Trak most of all, but I never expected to get half the toys we did, and they look amazing!

The big plus for me is that all the toys look like they are from the same toy line, something that can't be said about the various SW toys from Hasbro.
    Last edited by Starfieldfinder; August 31, 2021 at 07:39am. Reason: mis-typed a word
    All I want now is the Attak Trak in MOTUC

Oh and the Twiggets would be nice too!

Heroic slave of time man-at-work's Avatar
    To this day, for my personal tastes, MOTUC remains the ultimate MOTU toyline. Not only because the great sculpting from the 4H, but also because of the depth in characters we got (I still wants a few more!), we will never have something that big ever again. So, the mian legacy are collections that will allow you recreate most of the eras and factions of the MOTU lore (sorry for the NA characters, it's a pity, I needed Sagitar at least to feel it was complete).

But also, the MOTUC buck is a legacy by itself, I never saw a community of customizers so attached to an action figure buck as I saw in the years of Classics. All of those wonderful customs, the accessories casted to be compatible with the line, the easily interchangeable parts, the shared goodies, etc.

Classics was also the foundation for the content in the character guides and world compendium books, Classics gave us a unified mythology and chronology.

Finally, Classics also propelled the golden years of this very same community, he-man.org.
    Wish list of MOTUC figures: Sagitar, Red Beast, Hans Hammerholder, Ra-Jar

Quote Originally Posted by Rikki Roxx View Post
    If it means I could find a Classics Man-At-Arms for less than $250 I'd say "Fine, do it."
    Dear lord is that much heís up to now? Origins put a pause on my classics collecting. I still need him also along with beast man, kobra Kahn and trap jaw
    "There's no back door to heaven just a front door to hell" - DIO RIP

They could re-release the core in modern packaging, polybags or exactly as they were and I'd be super happy even though I have them. I bought them because they were amazing and I don't care about the "value" as I would never sell them unless it was my last option. But I would give just about anything for Mattel to bring them back. There are so many cool figures left to do!

Quote Originally Posted by man-at-work View Post
    To this day, for my personal tastes, MOTUC remains the ultimate MOTU toyline. Not only because the great sculpting from the 4H, but also because of the depth in characters we got (I still wants a few more!), we will never have something that big ever again. So, the mian legacy are collections that will allow you recreate most of the eras and factions of the MOTU lore (sorry for the NA characters, it's a pity, I needed Sagitar at least to feel it was complete).

But also, the MOTUC buck is a legacy by itself, I never saw a community of customizers so attached to an action figure buck as I saw in the years of Classics. All of those wonderful customs, the accessories casted to be compatible with the line, the easily interchangeable parts, the shared goodies, etc.

Classics was also the foundation for the content in the character guides and world compendium books, Classics gave us a unified mythology and chronology.

Finally, Classics also propelled the golden years of this very same community, he-man.org.
    Love the figures. Not a fan of the mythos laid out in the bios though. I wish that part would go away. Not a fan of it coming into other storylines either (MOTUR).

Quote Originally Posted by Brasco View Post
    Dear lord is that much heís up to now? Origins put a pause on my classics collecting. I still need him also along with beast man, kobra Kahn and trap jaw
    Right now I'm seeing some in-package Man-At-Arms figures on eBay for anywhere from $210-300. The Filmation version is going for between $300-400.

Pretty nuts.