Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Masters of the Universe Revelation - Prequel Comic #2 [Official Talkback Thread]

I have to say, I do much prefer the Keldor origin.

No idea if this story Skeletor is spinning to Evil-Lyn is true or not, but I find it far more interesting that the MYP-era Keldor origin. There's still room for the whole Gar angle, though- as there's still a lot left unexplained. For all we know, the Gar could be a race that was kidnapped, stripped of their faces/identities via magic or whatnot, and enslaved on this world. I didn't read it quite as being "oh look, there's a bunch of people with skeleton heads for no real reason". I do love the idea of Skeletor's Havoc Staff actually being the severed head of his one-time oppressor. THAT new origin is pretty bad-ass and something that I hope is part of his story that is true. I wasn't expecting the Horde to show up and that was a nice surprise- it was also a better explanation of the Skeletor/Hordak relationship than what we've been given in the past.
    Now, what is Evil-Lyn up to with the Orlax? And what's going to happen once Skeletor finds out she's been hiding it?
    Clearing out Classics, Super7 and vintage MOTU & PoP figures... check out my threads in the Marketplace for Fisto, Sorceress, BA variants, SDCC exclusives and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Fist View Post
    Even while reading this, I was thinking that it would only work for me if it was Skeletor making stuff up just to screw with Evil-Lyn, a la the Joker always having a different origin story for his scars in The Dark Knight. I was pleased when Evil-Lyn called him on spewing a bunch of ********. And yeah, he had the necklace at the end, but he could have gotten that literally anywhere at anytime. It doesn't prove that the story was true. If they want Skeletor's backstory to involve a lost love and a child, the DC Comics presented a far better scenario. So, a decent enough issue when read from the perspective that Skeletor was just yanking us the entire time! The cover art is fantastic, easily the best thing to come from this comic series so far.
    Personally, I was kind of intrigued by this - for one thing, Skeletor is not what I would consider a reliable narrator. It might be fun to have him be a bit like the Joker - several possible backstories, each one of which has some evidence to indicate it to be true. For example, Randor and Keldor could have still fought and then Keldor disappeared about the time Skeletor showed up. However, he claims to be a creature from another dimension. However, Hordak is also involved, who could have conjured him up from the netherworld. Unlike the MYP version, which is an OK origin for him, sure, no one might be quite sure where he came from and one or all of these things could be true at once somehow. A real interesting twist would be if even he does not know, but being the liar he is he's come up with several different stories depending on who is listening. For example, he might be playing for sympathy by telling a wife and kid story to Evil-Lynn. (It makes sense she wouldn't buy it, but maybe he didn't know her so well then.)
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"All you have is your fire, and the place you need to reach
    Don't you ever tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash"
    - Hozier, "Arsonist's Lullabye"

I think it was wise of the writers to leave it up to the reader to decide...

But, the best part was Evil-Lyn doing what she does best: conspiring for her own benefit.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

Heroic Warrior
    I really enjoyed this new take on Skeletor's origins, even if he was just bull*******g Evil-Lyn. And is that even her real name? No wonder she stayed away from home. But the origin for the havoc staff was badass. If Skeletor's origins are true as stated in this comic then it means there are more worlds to explore and more questions to be asked. I'm pretty sure he has access to all kinds of death magic now, and he's no longer under Hordak's thumb, so why doesn't he just resurrect his wife and reunite with his daughter? A lust for power? Perhaps Skeletor originally desired more power not only so he can bring back his loved ones, but so that he can protect them and his own people from whoever doesn't like skull-people. But now it seems he just wants power for the sake of having it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    I think it was wise of the writers to leave it up to the reader to decide...

But, the best part was Evil-Lyn doing what she does best: conspiring for her own benefit.
    You gotta love Evil-Lyn. In one episode of the old Filmation series, Skeletor receives a video call from Evil-Lyn while flying on the Collector. He rudely asks her what she wants, and without batting an eyelash the young witch immediately replies with, "Your power, Skeletor!" Perhaps his primary, original goal of bringing back his loved ones distracts him from paying attention to important details and keeping a sharp eye on his lieutenants for betrayal. Pretty sure Evil-Lyn distracts the blue man when he gets too close to the truth by making him fall under the spell of s-e-x. After he wakes up, he probably doesn't even check what kind of powers he lost, or were copied. What will we find out next comic -- his daughter became Shadow Weaver?

The release of this comic series has been so badly botched. The whole point of it was to act as a prelude to fill in background story gaps in the Revelation show, yet the show has come and gone, haha. The first issue should have been out 6 months before the show.

It's a four issue mini series right? Maybe by the end we will be set up for part 2? Otherwise it was a pointless cash grab. ( Which I'm still enjoying, issue 2 cover was awesome )

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by smanomega View Post
    It's a four issue mini series right? Maybe by the end we will be set up for part 2? Otherwise it was a pointless cash grab. ( Which I'm still enjoying, issue 2 cover was awesome )
    Yes it's only 4 issues, I think it's fine, to better inform what we have already watched.

Quote Originally Posted by darksider View Post
    You gotta love Evil-Lyn. In one episode of the old Filmation series, Skeletor receives a video call from Evil-Lyn while flying on the Collector. He rudely asks her what she wants, and without batting an eyelash the young witch immediately replies with, "Your power, Skeletor!" Perhaps his primary, original goal of bringing back his loved ones distracts him from paying attention to important details and keeping a sharp eye on his lieutenants for betrayal. Pretty sure Evil-Lyn distracts the blue man when he gets too close to the truth by making him fall under the spell of s-e-x. After he wakes up, he probably doesn't even check what kind of powers he lost, or were copied. What will we find out next comic -- his daughter became Shadow Weaver?
    "Your POWER, Skeletor!"

We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

I couldn't help but laugh at Skeletor wearing the exact same outfit in his past life of "loving husband and father"...never mind an entirely skull-headed society of people...the whole thing was delightfully ridiculous. Maybe Skeletor is so twisted up that he can't even remember/see the faces of people from his past. As was mentioned, maybe he doesn't even know what's true or not anymore. Definitely an unreliable narrator.

There's a moment where Skeletor looks over at Evil-Lyn and sees his lost love, and while I don't think we're supposed to accept that Skeletor is this sympathetic figure who just wants his family back...maybe there is at least some truth to it.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    Yep, she does have a one-track mind, and will seek to obtain what she wants either by acquiring the latest and greatest artifact or endearing herself to one who will grant it to her. If she can't get it from Skeletor or Hordak, maybe she can see about contacting the ancient spirits of evil. Oops, wrong show.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ersatz.kate View Post
    I couldn't help but laugh at Skeletor wearing the exact same outfit in his past life of "loving husband and father"...never mind an entirely skull-headed society of people...the whole thing was delightfully ridiculous. Maybe Skeletor is so twisted up that he can't even remember/see the faces of people from his past. As was mentioned, maybe he doesn't even know what's true or not anymore. Definitely an unreliable narrator.

There's a moment where Skeletor looks over at Evil-Lyn and sees his lost love, and while I don't think we're supposed to accept that Skeletor is this sympathetic figure who just wants his family back...maybe there is at least some truth to it.
    Perhaps there is some truth to certain fans implying that they rewrote Skeletor like the Joker, though not as twisted. The Joker's mind was so debased and deranged that he absolutely destroyed Wonder Woman's lasso in one comic when she tried to get the truth out of him. While I don't think Skeletor will ever reach that point, what do you think the writers have in mind for the guy?

Heroic Warrior
    I kind of like the idea of Skeletor telling different origins to people. This origin, on its face, is, eh, even if it is a deep cut. But imagine if in another issue he tells someone the Keldor origin. If old bonehead has a past, it oughta be multiple choice.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    The release of this comic series has been so badly botched. The whole point of it was to act as a prelude to fill in background story gaps in the Revelation show, yet the show has come and gone, haha. The first issue should have been out 6 months before the show.
    What a strange claim. Your idea that it is botched is but an opinion and I will honor that but your idea that it was to fill in story gaps and the like is projection. It's not telling the story you projected upon it and that is fine. I get being disappointed, the show though has not "come and gone" and we have five more episodes coming. It's an irrelevant comment because the series would have all dropped on the same day, as it did, anyway so it's not like with The Mandalorian, where they dropped an episode a week. Had it been 5, 10 or even 20 episodes, Netflix would have dumped them all the same day. It's a tie in prequel comic that is only two issues in dealing with the Orlax and obviously detailing how Skeletor learns the secret of Castle Grayskull before the series begins and this issue was a character builder. It was demonstrating Skeletor's character and motivations while also bringing those very things into doubt. That he refers to Evil Lyn as "my love" while talking about a deceased wife and lost daughter is a dead giveaway. What are the chances the "lost daughter" is actually Teela, the clone of the Sorceress that he had created to raise and marry in order to use her power to take Castle Grayskull? There are so many little easter eggs in the story, things that say "this could be about this". I mean I doubt it is but it's part of the fun. The series is fine with how it is releasing because 6 months ago it wouldn't have had an impact as people do love to rebel against change.

Quote Originally Posted by darksider View Post
    What will we find out next comic -- his daughter became Shadow Weaver?
    HA! Now you've said it I could actually see them doing that
    UK MOTU Fan Club Members - Add You Member Name to this Thread

Wanted:
    MOTUC He-Ro Staff with green gem
    Keshi Mantenna in red

Quote Originally Posted by Parzival View Post
    What a strange claim. Your idea that it is botched is but an opinion and I will honor that but your idea that it was to fill in story gaps and the like is projection. It's not telling the story you projected upon it and that is fine. I get being disappointed, the show though has not "come and gone" and we have five more episodes coming. It's an irrelevant comment because the series would have all dropped on the same day, as it did, anyway so it's not like with The Mandalorian, where they dropped an episode a week. Had it been 5, 10 or even 20 episodes, Netflix would have dumped them all the same day. It's a tie in prequel comic that is only two issues in dealing with the Orlax and obviously detailing how Skeletor learns the secret of Castle Grayskull before the series begins and this issue was a character builder. It was demonstrating Skeletor's character and motivations while also bringing those very things into doubt. That he refers to Evil Lyn as "my love" while talking about a deceased wife and lost daughter is a dead giveaway. What are the chances the "lost daughter" is actually Teela, the clone of the Sorceress that he had created to raise and marry in order to use her power to take Castle Grayskull? There are so many little easter eggs in the story, things that say "this could be about this". I mean I doubt it is but it's part of the fun. The series is fine with how it is releasing because 6 months ago it wouldn't have had an impact as people do love to rebel against change.
    I was under the impression that the intent of the comic was to provide background and story details to expand on the context shown in the Revelation TV show because I read that that is what it was being marketed as. So, if the comic is the set up for the show, how does it make chronological sense for all the issues of the comic to be released months after the show came out? What is the incentive to go back and read the issues after a lengthy gap of time has elapsed since episode 1 became available to watch? The intended lead-in did not occur in the desired order.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken Fist View Post
    Even while reading this, I was thinking that it would only work for me if it was Skeletor making stuff up just to screw with Evil-Lyn, a la the Joker always having a different origin story for his scars in The Dark Knight. I was pleased when Evil-Lyn called him on spewing a bunch of ********. And yeah, he had the necklace at the end, but he could have gotten that literally anywhere at anytime. It doesn't prove that the story was true. If they want Skeletor's backstory to involve a lost love and a child, the DC Comics presented a far better scenario. So, a decent enough issue when read from the perspective that Skeletor was just yanking us the entire time! The cover art is fantastic, easily the best thing to come from this comic series so far.
    Yeah, this issue was 5 stars. While I want villains to just be evil without it being justified most of the time I like how the backstory explains why he is so obsessed with getting the power he needs to bring his loved ones back ala Anakin. Smith loves Star Wars so I guess this is a way for him to live out writing a Star Wars story, next thing you know he's gonna make Skeletor some type of chosen one lol. Why does he say good night my love while holding the necklace, was he saying that to Lynn? And they are definitely taking bits and pieces they choose from the 200x series so I don't understand why in interviews Smith says they couldn't use any of that material because they most certainly are.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BooperScoop View Post
    I really like that the Havoc Staff is made from the skull of one of Skeletor's former slave masters.
    Yes, that did it for me.

This issue was just okay to me. I had more fun with the wonder and discoveries of the first issue.

I love Skeletor and although I personally love the MYP/200X Keldor version the most, I knew from the first 5 show episodes that they weren't using that version for this incarnation. I'm totally fine with that. I'm a seasoned fan used to the MOTU multiverse.

But yeah, it seemed... uninspired to me for some reason. Yeah, the story has basis from the first original mini comics. But it seemed like a child's continuation from that nugget of concept. It was cool that Lyn called him on it and they tried to play it as a Joker-ish multiple origins type of thing. That part was nice.

I dunno... after the MYP/200X stuff and the DC Eternia War stuff being so well thought out, concise, and serious/mature... this felt like a huge step backwards in storytelling tone.

Eh, it is what it is... I'm happy to have more MOTU. And I will trust that it will all come together with the last two issues and the last 5 episodes.
    Tweeterhead Statue Want List: He-Man 2.0, Battle Cat, Panthor, Tung Lashor, Rattlor, Zodak (200X style), She-Ra 2.0, Sorceress, Buzz Off, Webstor, Kobra Khan, King Hiss, Scare Glow

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Original Man View Post
    Yeah, this issue was 5 stars. While I want villains to just be evil without it being justified most of the time I like how the backstory explains why he is so obsessed with getting the power he needs to bring his loved ones back ala Anakin. Smith loves Star Wars so I guess this is a way for him to live out writing a Star Wars story, next thing you know he's gonna make Skeletor some type of chosen one lol.
    Yeah, too bad no Force could ever bring Padme back; Hordak's "flicker" of death magic is what Anakin would have really wanted, but maybe he shouldn't have choked her first. Well, she would have dumped him for Thor, anyway.

This backstory to Skeletor is relatively new, but if it's supposed to be a tie-in to Netflix's Revelations anime, there was no mention in it of the bony man ever having a desire to bring back his loved ones. I'm thinking either Skullboy is just plain ********* or the author just threw this in last minute. I was like, "Where did that come from?!" Okay, I can accept it so long as the next season makes mention of it.
    Last edited by darksider; August 19, 2021 at 10:39am.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexApprobation View Post
    This issue was just okay to me. I had more fun with the wonder and discoveries of the first issue.

I love Skeletor and although I personally love the MYP/200X Keldor version the most, I knew from the first 5 show episodes that they weren't using that version for this incarnation. I'm totally fine with that. I'm a seasoned fan used to the MOTU multiverse.

But yeah, it seemed... uninspired to me for some reason. Yeah, the story has basis from the first original mini comics. But it seemed like a child's continuation from that nugget of concept. It was cool that Lyn called him on it and they tried to play it as a Joker-ish multiple origins type of thing. That part was nice.

I dunno... after the MYP/200X stuff and the DC Eternia War stuff being so well thought out, concise, and serious/mature... this felt like a huge step backwards in storytelling tone.

Eh, it is what it is... I'm happy to have more MOTU. And I will trust that it will all come together with the last two issues and the last 5 episodes.
    I'm feeling the same , I think we've been spoiled a bit by how good the recent DC comics were , these dark horse comics so far are really underwhelming in regards to story and art . It's the first time in age's I've found myself wanting to like something but just not being able too , which is a shame because I like the revelation TV show

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by davelove81 View Post
    I'm feeling the same , I think we've been spoiled a bit by how good the recent DC comics were , these dark horse comics so far are really underwhelming in regards to story and art . It's the first time in age's I've found myself wanting to like something but just not being able too , which is a shame because I like the revelation TV show

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
    Whew, okay, it's not just me. I'm still unsure and conflicted on where/how the disconnect is. And it's not terrible to me, it's just... underwhelming and slightly disappointing.

Maybe I've just been spoiled with so much amazing stuff from all angles that something that's just "good" or "okay" is a disappointment haha. I guess there are worse problems to have!
    Tweeterhead Statue Want List: He-Man 2.0, Battle Cat, Panthor, Tung Lashor, Rattlor, Zodak (200X style), She-Ra 2.0, Sorceress, Buzz Off, Webstor, Kobra Khan, King Hiss, Scare Glow

Call Your Champion Voodoo Magic's Avatar
    I was a bit iffy on the first issue, but reading the second issue dedicated to Skeletor's possible origin really brought it home for me. I can't wait for the next issue!

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    I was under the impression that the intent of the comic was to provide background and story details to expand on the context shown in the Revelation TV show because I read that that is what it was being marketed as. So, if the comic is the set up for the show, how does it make chronological sense for all the issues of the comic to be released months after the show came out? What is the incentive to go back and read the issues after a lengthy gap of time has elapsed since episode 1 became available to watch? The intended lead-in did not occur in the desired order.
    It makes chronological sense if its a "prequel". I realize it gets a bit fuzzy when your first issue hits shelves a couple weeks before all the episodes dropped on Netflix, but overall, you can't be a "prequel" without an existing story to precede.