Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 32 of 32

Thread: Power-Con Game Show: Iíll be Hosting!

  1. #26
    ‹ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    7,376
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Guy View Post
    The only thing that could have made it better, was not missing the question about Castle Grayskull NOT appearing on screen near the end there which dropped me down too far to make it on stage.
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne-klops View Post
    I was a bit sore over getting a question "wrong" even though I answered it right (there was a picture of Castle Brightmoon but the correct answer was incorrectly given to Crystal Castle), but happy to have ended in 8th place over all before the final round, even though that gave me nothing but my own satisfaction.
    I was in first place for most of the game until these two questions. Answering a question correctly, and having the answer key be wrong, is frustrating. Particularly, because people who answered correctly got moved down the leader board, and people who answered incorrectly got moved up. I still finished in the top 10, but once unseated, was not able to reclaim my original position. The reason was related to this:

    Quote Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
    I thought it was a bunch of fun but also I have a small criticism.

    I love doing trivia and love to play and pride myself that I won based on my knowledge of things.

    However, with rounds that had random 1000s of points or 1000 points/no points, etc I would go from first to 39th place in a single question which really ends up demoralizing the work I did to build up my score etc.

    I ended up stopping playing about halfway though since I realized it wasn't a full on 'trivia game' based purely on just knowledge but that is fine. I still had a fun time.

    Maybe smaller quicker games of just trivia and then other games of scrambles etc.
    The ESP questions are not based on trivia, but chance, and high point values are assigned to them. So someone who could correctly guess how many people in the room chose to complete the phrase, "I will get you..." with "...my pretty," gets awarded 10,000 points, making their lead insurmountable by answering trivia questions alone, which have a much lower point value.

    I understand it is to help make the game more competitive for people who do not know a lot of trivia, but it almost ensures that the most knowledgeable contestants do not become finalists. Particularly, when three of the four finalist positions were already reserved for people who won physical challenges like dance, debate, and lip sync competitions, and not trivia.

    Contestants hoping to become finalists based on trivia alone only have one opportunity in four to get a finalist position, and that can still be undone by incorrect answer keys and questions of chance. So if I were to offer a recommendation, it would be to double-check the answer key, elimminate the questions of chance or assign them lower point values, and reduce the number of finalist positions reserved for the winners of physical challenges. Because overall, it is a really fun game to play, it could just be tightened up a bit.


  2. #27
    Heroic Warrior wayne-klops's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Fishers, Indiana
    Posts
    5,219
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    I was in first place for most of the game until these two questions. Answering a question correctly, and having the answer key be wrong, is frustrating. Particularly, because people who answered correctly got moved down the leader board, and people who answered incorrectly got moved up. I still finished in the top 10, but once unseated, was not able to reclaim my original position. The reason was related to this:



    The ESP questions are not based on trivia, but chance, and high point values are assigned to them. So someone who could correctly guess how many people in the room chose to complete the phrase, "I will get you..." with "...my pretty," gets awarded 10,000 points, making their lead insurmountable by answering trivia questions alone, which have a much lower point value.

    I understand it is to help make the game more competitive for people who do not know a lot of trivia, but it almost ensures that the most knowledgeable contestants do not become finalists. Particularly, when three of the four finalist positions were already reserved for people who won physical challenges like dance, debate, and lip sync competitions, and not trivia.

    Contestants hoping to become finalists based on trivia alone only have one opportunity in four to get a finalist position, and that can still be undone by incorrect answer keys and questions of chance. So if I were to offer a recommendation, it would be to double-check the answer key, elimminate the questions of chance or assign them lower point values, and reduce the number of finalist positions reserved for the winners of physical challenges. Because overall, it is a really fun game to play, it could just be tightened up a bit.

    All great points! Though I thought the picture question was correct with the answer of Castle Grayskull. The pictures were Eternos Palace, Temple of the Sun, and Eternia Central Tower. Or am I forgetting a time when Grayskull was shown?

    The ESP and physical challenges irked me too. Kudos to those brave enough to go up on stage, but it did seem like a bit too much importance was placed on them.

    Also, any MOTU fan that has fairly decent knowledge of the brand could have answered most of the questions correctly when there was only one logical answer when the other options were choices like Oprah or Maleficent. I admit I got the Cringer voice wrong because I was trying to worry more about answering quickly, and by the time I realized my John Erwin answer was wrong (duh!), it was too late for me to change my answer to Alan Oppenheimer and get any points.

    Still, I had fun doing it despite my gripes.

    Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
    CC: 1) Lizorr, 2) Sagitar, 3) King Miro, 4) Hunga, 5) Hoove, 6) Kayo, 7) Artilla, 9) Master Sebrian, 10) MoP Demons, 11) Twiggets, 12) Raj-Jar, 13) Hans Hammerholder, 14) Staghorn, 15) Spinwit, 16) Vizar, 17) Butthead, 18) Nocturna, 19) Melaktha, 20) Vy-Por
    CG: 1) Whiplash, 2) Ram Man, 3) Leech, 4) Kobra Khan, 5) Moss Man, 6) Bow, 7) Buzz Off, 8) Multi-Bot, 9) Entrapta, 10) Webstor

  3. #28
    Master of Hosting Events! JohnnyC's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    2,062
    Thank you ALL for the feedback, I will definitely be taking this all back to the company that produces the game.

    I am aware that there was a wrong answer for one of the questions, but (of course) didn't know until after the game was over per feedback. I let the content folks at the company know of the displeasure at the con and oversight and they felt awful about it. I have worked for this company for over 6 years and, in that time, that has NEVER happened. So, even I was shocked.

    This was a first go around for this game and there will for sure be some adjustments should it become an event at next year's Power-Con. It was interesting to see what worked and what didn't. I do agree with the ESP questions for THIS particular game and my recommendation is going to be to cut those out entirely. I agree that they mess with the more knowledgeable contestants a bit. For the record, I do think it's a good "mixer-upper" to get out of the monotony of JUST trivia... including the other various challenges and question types. Anyone can go to a bar and do just trivia.

    As for the physical challenge spots for the preliminary round, that has been the formula to the ThinkFast format for 20 plus years, I doubt they will change that portion of it. One thing I do like about it is that it does give ONE person who might not be as knowledgeable at the trivia portion to get to the final round. I think it makes the game more inclusive for all types of players.

    One other thing I will add: Generally, the game is played with people either pairing up with someone or in teams of 3 or 4. With the low turnout, it didn't really make sense to team people up. The more remotes that are out the more competitive the game, so we wanted to make sure folks felt challenged insofar as how many people they were up against. It's a much different experience with teams AND it's a great way for fans to get to know one another who may not have otherwise gotten to meet. Hopefully we can try that if this comes to pass again.

    This is really great feedback from you all and I appreciate the criticisms as much as the compliments! I had such a good time and was pleased with the turn out. Do you guys think an earlier time slot would have made a difference in turn out? If so, what time would you like to see this event take place if it comes back?

    You are all awesome!

    -Johnny C
    Last edited by JohnnyC; September 18, 2021 at 09:34pm.

  4. #29
    ‹ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    7,376
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne-klops View Post
    The ESP and physical challenges irked me too. Kudos to those brave enough to go up on stage, but it did seem like a bit too much importance was placed on them.
    I was sitting with King Kahn, and when they asked for contestants for the dance challenge, he suggested that I volunteer (I used to be a competitive and professional dancer), and I said, "I am already in first place, why should I go up there," it would mean taking away a finalist spot from someone who could not get there based on trivia. I thought three of the finalist positions would be for the top three trivia contestants, and the winners of the physical challenges would compete for the remaining fourth spot. To my surprise, it was the reverse, and three of the four spots went to the people who won physical challenges, and only the highest scoring trivia contestant got the fourth spot.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyC View Post
    Thank you ALL for the feedback, I will definitely be taking this all back to the company that produces the game.

    I am aware that there was a wrong answer for one of the questions, but (of course) didn't know until after the game was over per feedback. I let the content folks at the company know of the displeasure at the con and oversight and they felt awful about it. I have worked for this company for over 6 years and, in that time, that has NEVER happened. So, even I was shocked.

    This was a first go around for this game and there will for sure be some adjustments should it become an event at next year's Power-Con. It was interesting to see what worked and what didn't. I do agree with the ESP questions for THIS particular game and my recommendation is going to be to cut those out entirely. I agree that they mess with the more knowledgeable contestants a bit. For the record, I do think it's a good "mixer-upper" to get out of the monotony of JUST trivia... including the other various challenges and question types. Anyone can go to a bar and do just trivia.

    As for the physical challenge spots for the preliminary round, that has been the formula to the ThinkFast format for 20 plus years, I doubt they will change that portion of it. One thing I do like about it is that it does give ONE person who might not be as knowledgeable at the trivia portion to get to the final round. I think it makes the game more inclusive for all types of players.

    One other thing I will add: Generally, the game is played with people either pairing up with someone or in teams of 3 or 4. With the low turnout, it didn't really make sense to team people up. The more remotes that are out the more competitive the game, so we wanted to make sure folks felt challenged insofar as how many people they were up against. It's a much different experience with teams AND it's a great way for fans to get to know one another who may not have otherwise gotten to meet. Hopefully we can try that if this comes to pass again.

    This is really great feedback from you all and I appreciate the criticisms as much as the compliments! I had such a good time and was pleased with the turn out. Do you guys think an earlier time slot would have made a difference in turn out? If so, what time would you like to see this event take place if it comes back?

    You are all awesome!

    -Johnny C
    I think your ideas on how to improve the game for next time are good. I think the game remaining part of after hours programming is best. If it was during the day, there may be too many contestants, and many more who are children, and I do not know if it is fair to have them compete against adults.

  5. #30
    Heroic Warrior King Kahn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    nashville, tn
    Posts
    6,537
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyC View Post
    Thank you ALL for the feedback, I will definitely be taking this all back to the company that produces the game.

    I am aware that there was a wrong answer for one of the questions, but (of course) didn't know until after the game was over per feedback. I let the content folks at the company know of the displeasure at the con and oversight and they felt awful about it. I have worked for this company for over 6 years and, in that time, that has NEVER happened. So, even I was shocked.

    This was a first go around for this game and there will for sure be some adjustments should it become an event at next year's Power-Con. It was interesting to see what worked and what didn't. I do agree with the ESP questions for THIS particular game and my recommendation is going to be to cut those out entirely. I agree that they mess with the more knowledgeable contestants a bit. For the record, I do think it's a good "mixer-upper" to get out of the monotony of JUST trivia... including the other various challenges and question types. Anyone can go to a bar and do just trivia.

    As for the physical challenge spots for the preliminary round, that has been the formula to the ThinkFast format for 20 plus years, I doubt they will change that portion of it. One thing I do like about it is that it does give ONE person who might not be as knowledgeable at the trivia portion to get to the final round. I think it makes the game more inclusive for all types of players.

    One other thing I will add: Generally, the game is played with people either pairing up with someone or in teams of 3 or 4. With the low turnout, it didn't really make sense to team people up. The more remotes that are out the more competitive the game, so we wanted to make sure folks felt challenged insofar as how many people they were up against. It's a much different experience with teams AND it's a great way for fans to get to know one another who may not have otherwise gotten to meet. Hopefully we can try that if this comes to pass again.

    This is really great feedback from you all and I appreciate the criticisms as much as the compliments! I had such a good time and was pleased with the turn out. Do you guys think an earlier time slot would have made a difference in turn out? If so, what time would you like to see this event take place if it comes back?

    You are all awesome!

    -Johnny C
    Hey a straight up MOTU trivia game ISN'T something i can go anywhere to get. No matter how drunk I get at the bar, no one wants to hear my MOTU trivia lol
    cogito ergo doleo

  6. #31
    Master of Hosting Events! JohnnyC's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    2,062
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    I thought three of the finalist positions would be for the top three trivia contestants, and the winners of the physical challenges would compete for the remaining fourth spot. To my surprise, it was the reverse, and three of the four spots went to the people who won physical challenges, and only the highest scoring trivia contestant got the fourth spot.
    Just a quick thing: You were right in the first part there. The preliminary speed round is made up of all 4 challenge winners. They all compete for a spot in the final championship round. Then, in the final round, the other 3 spots are taken by the top 3 scoring teams after the Big Bid Question (the one that's kinda like Final Jeopardy). It was a lot to take in, I'm sure. LOL

    On a side note, I'm glad we got to meet, albeit briefly... Next year, I'd really enjoy further conversation should it come to pass!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post


    I think your ideas on how to improve the game for next time are good. I think the game remaining part of after hours programming is best. If it was during the day, there may be too many contestants, and many more who are children, and I do not know if it is fair to have them compete against adults.
    Thank you and I agree that it should stay after hours. I do think an earlier slot would be helpful... As I recall, a number of players talked about how their significant others or friends or whoever, were asleep in the hotel. LOL. So earlier is better, but definitely after hours.

    -Johnny C

  7. #32
    Heroic Warrior He-Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Rockies of Eternia
    Posts
    376
    I like the after hours idea, but I think it could have benefitted by moving up an hour or two and flipping time slots with the longer program, Daniel Benedict's "The Bloody Man". My wife did appreciate music kept playing afterwards while the trivia was getting taken down as it led to an impromptu dance party.

    The K.O. panel could have been moved up to the open slot Saturday afternoon. I also think in a typical year, The Bloody Man would have been shown Friday night, which had no programming this year.

    Another note, the "Thinkfast" banner was at the front of the room all day, but should have been promoted at the beginning of each panel as it wasn't clear what/why that was actually for.

    Sent from my Power Sword using the Force

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •