Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which origin story for skeletor is most accepted?

Widget

which origin story for skeletor is most accepted?

skeletor's origin in the comic where he is supposedly from another dimension and part of a skull faced people(read about this one today and never read the comics back in the day)

-or-

the cartoon origin of him being randor's brother and losing his face in a battle?

just curious which origin story is generally the most accepted. are there more? does it matter?

The early mini comics have him as an extra dimensional invader, but a later mini comic hints at his Keldor origin. The original cartoon gave no back story and the MYP cartoon used and expanded on his past as Keldor. I'm not up on any of the old or new comics so I can't really say what they did with him.

Personally I like the Keldor idea. In my head I came up with Keldor being Miro's first born son, but from an affair he had. Keldor grew up believing he would inherent the throne but because he was Miro's illegitimate son Eternian law would not allow him to be king, as long as Randor was alive.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    MASTERS OF THE SMITTYVERSE
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 10/17/2021

Call Your Champion Voodoo Magic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TKL View Post
    skeletor's origin in the comic where he is supposedly from another dimension and part of a skull faced people(read about this one today and never read the comics back in the day)

-or-

the cartoon origin of him being randor's brother and losing his face in a battle?

just curious which origin story is generally the most accepted. are there more? does it matter?
    I don't know if there is one that is most accepted, but the wonderful thing about all the MOTU Universe is you can embrace them all, simultaneously!

Filmation Skeletor loosely had the demon origin, but never got into too much depth. But if you're one who accepts its continuation "Revelation", issue #2 of the prequel comic elaborates more on his skull-faced people origin. That issue is really well done too, so I highly recommend!

It's interesting with Keldor that certain triggers were never ultimately pulled, even though there was an *eventual intent to do so. The later minicomics never revealed Randor's brother Keldor and Skeletor were one in the same... and the MYP show never indicated Keldor was actually related to Randor or Randor's brother. You have to cross the universes so-to-speak, to make it all gel.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty.81 View Post
    Personally I like the Keldor idea. In my head I came up with Keldor being Miro's first born son, but from an affair he had. Keldor grew up believing he would inherent the throne but because he was Miro's illegitimate son Eternian law would not allow him to be king, as long as Randor was alive.
    I like it!

* - spelling edit
    Last edited by Voodoo Magic; August 25, 2021 at 10:50am.

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo Magic View Post

I like it!
    Thanks I came up with because, in most real monarchies you have to be in the royal blood line to claim the throne. I've also got this whole concept of a strict patriarchal warrior xenophobic society for the Gar, but that's another topic.

My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 10/17/2021

If we're talking vintage canon, the demon from another dimension thing is the main back story. However I think since 200x there has been a sea change and I get the sense that the Keldor thing is the most popular backstory now.

Heroic Warrior
    Gotta say, I wholeheartedly HATE the Keldor origin. It's the most cliched thing I had ever seen. Worst addition to the MOTU lore ever. Followed closely by King Grayskull.

Anything that takes a grand and universe spanning lore and minimizes the main characters loses me immediately. The long lost brother, father, uncle thing has been owned by Star Wars for so long, that nobody else gets to play in that sandbox without looking like it's riding on the coattails of it. It's dumb and soap-opera fodder. As it is, MOTU already pulled out the 'long lost twin sister that nobody every mentioned' out of thin air... we can't have Uncle Skeletor too.

I always feel people are too obsessed with what 'could have been' the long lost footage or director's cut or Behind the scenes info... that they push even the bad ideas that BELONG on the cutting room floor.

1) The mini-comic never really implied that Keldor was Skeletor. What was said was the Keldor disappeared years ago, and Skeletor commented that knowledge of what happened to Keldor could destroy him.... That's it. LOT of different ways that could play out.

2) Even if the writers DID intend to go further... they didn't. Someone somewhere put a stop to it and the idea died before it ever hit print.

I'm pro demon from another dimension all the way. I like my bad guys to be the biggest scariest monster leading all the other monsters. Not some racially charged victim who may have been right all along.... Ughhhh...

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Gotta say, I wholeheartedly HATE the Keldor origin. It's the most cliched thing I had ever seen. Worst addition to the MOTU lore ever. Followed closely by King Grayskull.

Anything that takes a grand and universe spanning lore and minimizes the main characters loses me immediately. The long lost brother, father, uncle thing has been owned by Star Wars for so long, that nobody else gets to play in that sandbox without looking like it's riding on the coattails of it. It's dumb and soap-opera fodder. As it is, MOTU already pulled out the 'long lost twin sister that nobody every mentioned' out of thin air... we can't have Uncle Skeletor too.
    I wouldn't say it's the worst addition ever. I thought they did a decent job with that story, but in general, I agree: having Skeletor be Randor's brother minimizes the stakes of the MOTU universe to a family squabble. Skeletor as an evil being of uncertain origin is far more menacing.

Now it might be a cool story if Keldor somehow unleashed Skeletor upon Eternia, or perhaps Skeletor invaded Keldor's body face-hugger style when Keldor ventured too far into the unknown.

The keldor / blue skinned origin is by far the best to me . DC comics kind of cemented it for me , with a good blend of all the previous canons . He was the keldor you sort of knew from 200x , who was turned into skeletor by hordak . As a general in hordaks army , he conquered many world's , including the Kingdom of brightmoon on etheria in the name of the horde , before travelling back in time and kidnapping Adora .there's a lot more to his story , including the fact that the skull on the havoc staff is HIS OWN skull after he becomes a full on demon , a fate he avoids by defying hordak and escaping through a portal to a later time in eternias history .but in short I love that story because he IS keldor , IS randors brother and IS a demon from another dimension . I really tried to like the dark horse origin but it's just ridiculous and a massive step back for the character unless taken as a " lie"

Sent from my AGS2-L09 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by davelove81; August 25, 2021 at 11:42pm.

1) The mini-comic never really implied that Keldor was Skeletor. What was said was the Keldor disappeared years ago, and Skeletor commented that knowledge of what happened to Keldor could destroy him.... That's it. LOT of different ways that could play out.
    That's true. Within those very pages, Skeletor is only aware of the secret of Keldor.

At the most, Skeletor and Keldor can be the same person. At the very least, Skeletor knows what happened to Keldor and perhaps he was even directly involved with his disappearance. Perhaps Keldor is imprisoned somewhere, offered by Skeletor in some sort of deal with another entity that would be disastrous if broken. Or perhaps Keldor was transformed into one of the monstrous henchmen that serve him.

Or perhaps Keldor simply figured out Skeletor's kryptonite so to speak, the way to defeat Skeletor once and for all, so he banished him to another dimension before it could be revealed. But if Keldor ever figured out the way to return, it would be Skeletor's undoing.

2) Even if the writers DID intend to go further... they didn't. Someone somewhere put a stop to it and the idea died before it ever hit print.
    Yep, even though the thought was Skeletor and Keldor were the same person... going after that Darth Vader type narrative, writer Steven Grant never believed it would actually be revealed.

"As far as I remember, Keldor was Skeletor ... But, I don't think that was ever going to be revealed ... I seem to remember it as one of those things Mattel came up with out of the blue ... Slur Keldor and you end up with Skeletor ... His backstory wasn't really worked out. Some sort of evil cosmic energies altered him. I think they were going for a Darth Vader thing, but it was a tack-on."
    https://www.he-man.org/resources/archive.php?id=1019

I always feel people are too obsessed with what 'could have been' the long lost footage or director's cut or Behind the scenes info... that they push even the bad ideas that BELONG on the cutting room floor.
    These are some good points to consider. I remember I was so annoyed with the 'art' of shrinking grand universes myself.

Like in Star Wars: The Phantom Menace where instead of just coming off an assembly line and being introduced in Episode 4, we had to get Anakin tinkering with C-3PO in Episode One. Or in Alien Covenant, when we find out David the Android created the Aliens. I know the intent is to make audiences go oooo and aaaah, but this kind of writing does make vast universes feel so small.

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo Magic View Post
    That's true. Within those very pages, Skeletor is only aware of the secret of Keldor.

https://i.ibb.co/ZJxtjmf/IMG-20210826-084010.jpg

At the most, Skeletor and Keldor can be the same person. At the very least, Skeletor knows what happened to Keldor and perhaps he was even directly involved with his disappearance. Perhaps Keldor is imprisoned somewhere, offered by Skeletor in some sort of deal with another entity that would be disastrous if broken. Or perhaps Keldor was transformed into one of the monstrous henchmen that serve him.

Or perhaps Keldor simply figured out Skeletor's kryptonite so to speak, the way to defeat Skeletor once and for all, so he banished him to another dimension before it could be revealed. But if Keldor ever figured out the way to return, it would be Skeletor's undoing.

Yep, even though the thought was Skeletor and Keldor were the same person... going after that Darth Vader type narrative, writer Steven Grant never believed it would actually be revealed.

"As far as I remember, Keldor was Skeletor ... But, I don't think that was ever going to be revealed ... I seem to remember it as one of those things Mattel came up with out of the blue ... Slur Keldor and you end up with Skeletor ... His backstory wasn't really worked out. Some sort of evil cosmic energies altered him. I think they were going for a Darth Vader thing, but it was a tack-on."
    https://www.he-man.org/resources/archive.php?id=1019

These are some good points to consider. I remember I was so annoyed with the 'art' of shrinking grand universes myself.

Like in Star Wars: The Phantom Menace where instead of just coming off an assembly line and being introduced in Episode 4, we had to get Anakin tinkering with C-3PO in Episode One. Or in Alien Covenant, when we find out David the Android created the Aliens. I know the intent is to make audiences go oooo and aaaah, but this kind of writing does make vast universes feel so small.
    Like I said before I like the idea of Skeletor being related to Randor. Making Keldor/Skeletor the elder brother adds some much needed depth to the story and to Randor and Keldor/Skeletor. It gives Keldor/Skeletor motivation beyond NYAA evil!

My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 10/17/2021

Like I said before I like the idea of Skeletor being related to Randor. Making Keldor/Skeletor the elder brother adds some much needed depth to the story and to Randor and Keldor/Skeletor. It gives Keldor/Skeletor motivation beyond NYAA evil!
    It's not just NYAA evil. It's NYAA evil with awesome insults, ya bumbling boob!

In all seriousness though, I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you or the Keldor/Skeletor merits. Remember I liked your idea too. I just can appreciate both angles, both sides of the coin, both backstories .

He-Man historian
    On the original question, the older fans will more likely be on "demon from another dimension" side.

But Keldor angle has been more prevalent in recent decade, so I think averagejoes might know/accept that one. It's an "easy answer" and I still personally insist, that if we get a live-action movie, they will somehow use the Keldor origin.

Like I said before I like the idea of Skeletor being related to Randor. Making Keldor/Skeletor the elder brother adds some much needed depth to the story and to Randor and Keldor/Skeletor.
    I am of two... three minds about Keldor angle.

Don't want to make a longpost to explain it all, but key factors for me, is that if you introduce the brother (half-brother) aspect. THEN DO SOMETHING WITH IT! GIVE US RANDOR CARTOON EPISODES OR COMIC SERIES! Show us actually the relation between the two, how it changed.
    Because in most stories, [A] Randor is not on the battlefield, directly fighting Evil Warriors. Its a wasted potential.
    And if you add in the whole "blood-line and Grayskull powers" then that opens the case of how come Randor is skipped or Miro... why is Hordak stupid not noticing his favorite apprentice holds the_very_key to Castle Grayskull's powers...
    Or [B] There is no story where Adam would be affected by this new info. Closest I can think of is modern DC Comics where Rob David attempted something with it.

I mean... Classics minicomics you simply have Skeletor yelling "myaaa my nephews! what they said!" (Classics and Toyguru alltogether had to bend over backwards to "justify" Keldor, creating the notion of hated-gar-race which didn't exist in 2002 so that Keldor has no chance against prejudice, or Hordak merged Demo-Man onto him, so its the evil monster making Skeletor mad, again Keldor just the poor golden boy who had all stacked against him... )

If you use Keldor aspect. Then do better by him.

Hence why I am curious what CGI He-Man show will do with him.
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

I can see Pros and Cons to both the "Demon From Another Dimension" origin and the Keldor origin.

One of the very earliest memories I have is from one of those awesome old book-and-record sets, where it explained that Skeletor was an evil demon or some such from Infinita (a name I always thought was awesome). Worked fine for me as a two-year-old.

Then many years later I found out on the internet that the vintage mini-comics had been toying with the reveal that Skeletor was actually Keldor, and then the 200X show went with that (even though they never explicitly stated that Keldor and Randor were brothers), and I liked that story as well.

I can see why people love or hate one or the other. I don't think either one of them is quite perfect, and if you argue that one version is derivative you can't really ignore that the other one is, as well. Like, you can't say "Keldor being Skeletor is too similar to the Darth Vader thing" without acknowledging that "Evil Demon Wizard From Somewhere Else Just Shows Up To Wreak Havoc Because Evil" is basically the origin story for roughly two out of every three Comic Book Super-Villains, at least back in the day. They've both technically been done to death, so it really just comes down to personal preference.

I've pretty much mentally subscribed to the Keldor origin, by this point (although I do acknowledge that "Uncle Skeletor" is a bit silly in the big picture, BUT so is "Papa Vader" if we really want to go there). I think that hypothetically you can take that story into more places, and more interesting ones, than just having the main villain simply be Evil for Evil's Sake. Which isn't to say that I think the Demon From Infinita origin is "bad", just a bit more simplistic. I'd also acknowledge that so far, no MOTU canon has really explored the Keldor origin and its implications to a truly satisfactory degree, although the DC series to me came the closest by far.

There's ways where one or the other seems to fit better for the specific MOTU universe they're in. Given how many disparate MOTU universes we have by this point, it's safe to say there will never be a "definitive" Skeletor origin - if there was ever going to be, we're at least 30 years too late to try and go there - so it's pretty much whichever one best fits the story being told at any given time.

MOTU has always had this weird mixture of Things We're Explicitly Told and Things We're Left To Fill In With Our Own Imaginations. That's kind of neat, but also comes with some problems, Skeletor's origin being one of them. Any "official" origin would have needed to be locked in from Day One, and not left to a piece of supplementary media which most people wouldn't have been familiar with, such as those book-and-record sets. And then not have been immediately ignored, contradicted, or otherwise disregarded by other MOTU media.

40 years later is way too late to even try and come out with any declaration of "So this is the REAL Skeletor Origin." It's whatever any individual wants it to be, at this point.
    Last edited by Rikki Roxx; August 26, 2021 at 08:57pm.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

My question for the extra dimensional invader origin is why? With the Keldor origin it turns into to a bit of a puzzle where we have to put the Keldor is Randor's brother and Skeletor is Keldor pieces together and make some logical leaps.

But with Skeletor being from another dimension that's invading Eternia I'd like to know why? Why Eternia, what do they want?

My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 10/17/2021

My question for the extra dimensional invader origin is why? With the Keldor origin it turns into to a bit of a puzzle where we have to put the Keldor is Randor's brother and Skeletor is Keldor pieces together and make some logical leaps.

But with Skeletor being from another dimension that's invading Eternia I'd like to know why? Why Eternia, what do they want?

Obviously he somehow found out that all the power in the Universe is held within the walls of Grayskull!

...But How or Why he received this information is ultimately left up to us to figure, like so many other things.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Quote Originally Posted by Rikki Roxx View Post
    Obviously he somehow found out that all the power in the Universe is held within the walls of Grayskull!

...But How or Why he received this information is ultimately left up to us to figure, like so many other things.
    Yeah but what are Skeletor's people going to do with that power? What's the endgame?

With the brother of Randor origin the goal is clear, clame the throne he thought he deserves. At least that's how I see it.

My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 10/17/2021

Yeah but what are Skeletor's people going to do with that power? What's the endgame?
    Free and Unlimited Ecto-Cooler for all.

....It's as good a motivation as any other, I figure.

Free and Unlimited Ecto-Cooler for all.
    Boy that would be a twist to end Revelation with that no one would see coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Universe View Post
    Boy that would be a twist to end Revelation with that no one would see coming.
    If we're Subverting Expectations, then half-measures simply won't do.

I like both the demon from another dimension and Keldor origins for Skeletor.

If I had to choose I do somewhat prefer his first mini comic origin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    and if you add in the whole "blood-line and Grayskull powers" then that opens the case of how come Randor is skipped or Miro... why is Hordak stupid not noticing his favorite apprentice holds the_very_key to Castle Grayskull's powers...
    Yeah, that opens a big rabbit hole doesn't it.

I've pretty much mentally subscribed to the Keldor origin, by this point (although I do acknowledge that "Uncle Skeletor" is a bit silly in the big picture, BUT so is "Papa Vader" if we really want to go there).
    Waiting for the day when Adam lowers his sword and says to Skeletor... "Search your feelings, Uncle. You can't do this. I feel the conflict within you! I know there is good in you. T̶h̶e̶ ̶E̶m̶p̶e̶r̶o̶r̶ Hordak hasn't driven it from you fully yet."

I still do like the Keldor/Skeletor approach, but I must admit it does feel like it pigeonholes Skeletor in a certain dynamic, and makes the universe feel smaller.

I think that hypothetically you can take that story into more places, and more interesting ones, than just having the main villain simply be Evil for Evil's Sake. Which isn't to say that I think the Demon From Infinita origin is "bad", just a bit more simplistic.
    For some reason I don't feel the Demon From Infintia has to be more simplistic though, meaning there's so much where a wonderful writer can go with that and flesh it out within MOTU where the Keldor take would start feeling simplistic in comparison. The appealing part of the Demon Skeletor to me is that he's more of a mystery. It's not necessarily about having a lack of layered motivations, but rather we don't fully understand what they are and what fully encompasses him. And I like that mystery. It can be compelling.

Just posting for fun but in my head canon based on mostly mini-comics, comics, and play...

Keldor was an already powerful mage hungry for even more power. When he realized he was never going to gain what he wanted in his lifetime he took the steps to transform himself into an undead Lich.

Keeps his personality and memories but becomes ever living and even more powerful with evil magic.

When I read about Lich's through D&D the description fit him perfectly and that's how I've thought of him since. It also (in my mind) made him an actual threat to He-man.
    "A fool always finds a greater fool to admire him."

Heroic Warrior
    What's the endgame and motivation for Hordak?

He's a conqueror, he'll lead his armies across the universe enslaving all before him. Nobody calls him simplistic or Nyaaa evil because he isn't related. Hordak is usually considered 'cooler' and more menacing than Skeletor ever is, and really he's just a copy of what Skeletor originally was. Another Skull headed wizard leading an army from another dimension in the name of conquest.

This is more a complaint about King Grayskull than Keldor, but I truly hate the whole 'bloodline' aspect attached to the power sword. It shrinks the whole genre to be almost unusable. Grayskull holds the secrets to being Master of the Universe. That's what the brand was based on. A massive battle royal to see who can come out on top. If ONLY He-man and Skeletor and She-ra can use the swords... then what's the point of everyone else? Why is Hordak even bothering, He's not qualified. Same with Evil Lynn... In my world, Mer-Man or Trap Jaw were just as capable of weilding Grayskull's power as anyone else. They may work for Skeletor now.. but eventually they'll betray him and steal the power!!! Tying it to a 'chosen Bloodline' only is boring. Not even counting the reasons why Randor and Miro were skipped over.

What's the endgame and motivation for Hordak?

He's a conqueror, he'll lead his armies across the universe enslaving all before him. Nobody calls him simplistic or Nyaaa evil because he isn't related. Hordak is usually considered 'cooler' and more menacing than Skeletor ever is, and really he's just a copy of what Skeletor originally was. Another Skull headed wizard leading an army from another dimension in the name of conquest.

This is more a complaint about King Grayskull than Keldor, but I truly hate the whole 'bloodline' aspect attached to the power sword. It shrinks the whole genre to be almost unusable. Grayskull holds the secrets to being Master of the Universe. That's what the brand was based on. A massive battle royal to see who can come out on top. If ONLY He-man and Skeletor and She-ra can use the swords... then what's the point of everyone else? Why is Hordak even bothering, He's not qualified. Same with Evil Lynn... In my world, Mer-Man or Trap Jaw were just as capable of weilding Grayskull's power as anyone else. They may work for Skeletor now.. but eventually they'll betray him and steal the power!!! Tying it to a 'chosen Bloodline' only is boring. Not even counting the reasons why Randor and Miro were skipped over.
    All fair points. I've always seen Hordak as a Hitler type of bad guy how believes so strongly in his self importance and superiority that he's compelled to force it on to others. To me, Hordak is not doing what he does because of motivation but more out of instinct.

As for the power sword and blood lines having it skip at least two generations proves that it's not just about the blood line but worthiness and maybe desire. I this it's clear that Miro ruled during peace and Randor saw no need to used the sword or did not want to use it against his brother.

I'm not sure but there's much we know and enough we don't know to make the back story work if we fill in the blanks.

My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 10/17/2021

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    And if you add in the whole "blood-line and Grayskull powers" then that opens the case of how come Randor is skipped or Miro... why is Hordak stupid not noticing his favorite apprentice holds the_very_key to Castle Grayskull's powers?
    Ian Richter stated that Randor and Keldor were intended to be twins. The rationale was that it would give both a legitimate claim to the throne, making the actions of Keldor not completely unjustified; and that both could potentially wield the Power of Grayskull, which immediately raises the stakes, when one of those people is Skeletor.

I prefer this origin, because it can be seen as an elaboration of The Search for Keldor mincomic. Randor is the master of the military. Keldor knows he will only ever be a second-rate version of his brother if he competes with him on those terms. So instead, he seeks an alternative means to power that will differentiate himself from his brother: he seeks to master magic.

Through his studies, Keldor discovers Hordak, who is aware of the prophecy of the Twins of Power. He believes those twins are Randor and Keldor. It is the correct bloodline, but he is off by a generation. Hordak knows that he cannot wield the Power of Grayskull directly, but he can control it indirectly if he controls Keldor, so he agrees to become his tutor. This also explains why Hordak later wanted to kidnap Adam and Adora when he realizes his mistake.

Keldor was intended to be the antagonist of The Powers of Grayskull spin-off. The dimension beyond time to which he was lost is Preternia. He is effectively doing the very thing about which the Sorceress warned: altering the past to change the future. He is laying the groundwork for his own transformation into Skeletor. That is why Skeletor does not want the heroic warriors to learn the secret of Keldor. Because if they do, they can stop him, and he will never become Skeletor. It will be as if Skeletor never existed.

In The Search for Keldor, Skeletor also summons Ninjor from the past and Scare Glow from the future in order to serve him. I am partial to the notion that at some point either the evil is purged from Keldor or Skeletor dies, and the disembodied evil or spirit is Scare Glow, because that evil can never die. How metal is it to summon your own ghost from the future to be your servant?