Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: which origin story for skeletor is most accepted?

Gotta say, I'm pretty much okay with All That ^^^. That works for me, brother.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    In The Search for Keldor, Skeletor also summons Ninjor from the past and Scare Glow from the future in order to serve him. I am partial to the notion that at some point either the evil is purged from Keldor or Skeletor dies, and the disembodied evil or spirit is Scare Glow, because that evil can never die. How metal is it to summon your own ghost from the future to be your servant?
    I like Randor and Keldor being twins etc.
    The rest though and especially Skeletor making his own ghost his servant is just a good example why time travel is a terrible story telling device.

He-Man historian
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty.81
    Yeah but what are Skeletor's people going to do with that power? What's the endgame?

Have you read the Michael Halperin 1982 Filmation Series Bible?

I think there and maybe one of the kids stuff books had Skeletor mainly want to get away from the "evil" sister planet and go conquer the good planet Eternia. Rob it for all its riches, conquer it...

Sometimes the endgame is a simple one.

Which is why it personally irks me in Skeletor's case, when a new writer comes along and attempts to justify things a little too much, or make it "the villain was right all along" (which was a weird craze some time ago when folks kept making youtube-videos explaining disney villains or similar types)

Ian Richter stated that Randor and Keldor were intended to be twins. The rationale was that it would give both a legitimate claim to the throne, making the actions of Keldor not completely unjustified; and that both could potentially wield the Power of Grayskull, which immediately raises the stakes, when one of those people is Skeletor.
    Might you remember when and where he stated this twin topic? (I'm drawing a blank on this piece of info myself...)
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    [/COLOR]Have you read the Michael Halperin 1982 Filmation Series Bible?

I think there and maybe one of the kids stuff books had Skeletor mainly want to get away from the "evil" sister planet and go conquer the good planet Eternia. Rob it for all its riches, conquer it...

Sometimes the endgame is a simple one.

Which is why it personally irks me in Skeletor's case, when a new writer comes along and attempts to justify things a little too much, or make it "the villain was right all along" (which was a weird craze some time ago when folks kept making youtube-videos explaining disney villains or similar types)
    The need for resources is one I can understand. Few societies are 100% self-reliant and there's always a few ass holes that think they have a right to take what ever they want.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    MASTERS OF THE SMITTYVERSE
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 9/30/2021

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    [/COLOR]Might you remember when and where he stated this twin topic? (I'm drawing a blank on this piece of info myself...)
    It was at Power-Con. Someone asked about the backstory of Randor and Keldor and them having different mothers. One of the panelists said he had not heard of that, another said it was an idea that had been kicked around, and Ian said that in his mind, they were twins, and provided the rationale I posted above. It was an exciting revelation, because I was not expecting it, and he said it so matter-of-factly. It is things like this that make Power-Con so awesome.

Not every hero needs to have a villainous uncle or brother, sister, etc, or be a descendant of some legendary hero. It just oozes of lazy storytelling; just an excuse to squeeze some lore or to give our hero "depth" as to why he/she/they are fighting.

The "demon from another dimension" concept is far more interesting and is my personal go-to. It leaves more to the imagination.

Quote Originally Posted by medium_pyro View Post
    Not every hero needs to have a villainous uncle or brother, sister, etc, or be a descendant of some legendary hero. It just oozes of lazy storytelling; just an excuse to squeeze some lore or to give our hero "depth" as to why he/she/they are fighting.

The "demon from another dimension" concept is far more interesting and is my personal go-to. It leaves more to the imagination.
    Agreed, but I think with sword and sorcery stories a classical hero with ties to the villain is a better fit. That's not to say I don't like evil demons I just like for a bit more motivation, even if it's something simple like feeding on the souls of the living.

My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 9/30/2021

Bottom line for me is , keldor being randors brother and later becoming skeletor , takes nothing away from skeletor . Skeletor being from a planet of a million others like him takes a lot away from his uniqueness , as well as having a negative impact on his motivations , his personality and his past with randor and others he could have shared history with . And those who claim him being a random demon is better because it's " vague" don't get appeased by the new dark horse comic either , because he has a skelekid and skelewife in that ( does everyone on that planet have a skele-pun name?) .it replaces a lot of well thought out and deep elements with a ridiculous shorthand , and is far more lazy in my personal opinion . So yeah , it's rightful hier keldor and his insatiable quest for more power all the way for me

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    I could get behind Skeletor being a demon from another dimension if it was done a little differently. For example, if Infinita was a Hell dimension like in the film Event Horizon, and its inhabitants are monstorous beings that do not all look like Skeletor. Then it would make sense that Skeletor needs something as powerful as Grayskull to open a gate to that dimension and unleash Hell on Eternia.

I could get behind Skeletor being a demon from another dimension if it was done a little differently. For example, if Infinita was a Hell dimension like in the film Event Horizon, and its inhabitants are monstorous beings that do not all look like Skeletor. Then it would make sense that Skeletor needs something as powerful as Grayskull to open a gate to that dimension and unleash Hell on Eternia.
    I do like that concept a lot , personally I'm just too invested in keldor and his fall from grace etc . Were I to meet you in the middle , I'd say keep the keldor we know from DC and 200x , have him become skeletor , and have that skeletor ultimately defeated and somehow banished to a billion years in the past despondos/infinitia/hell or wherever etc where he spends the next few eternity's trying to escape , becoming some kind of demon king and ultimately escaping into the first 4 mini comics ?

Quote Originally Posted by davelove81 View Post
    I do like that concept a lot , personally I'm just too invested in keldor and his fall from grace etc . Were I to meet you in the middle , I'd say keep the keldor we know from DC and 200x , have him become skeletor , and have that skeletor ultimately defeated and somehow banished to a billion years in the past despondos/infinitia/hell or wherever etc where he spends the next few eternity's trying to escape , becoming some kind of demon king and ultimately escaping into the first 4 mini comics ?

I love this beautiful marriage of both ideas.

My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 9/30/2021

Heroic Warrior
    Skeletor has always been a mysterious demon from another dimension for me. When I was a kid and read the first 4 minicomics and he said something about 'others of my kind', I just thought it meant random demons and monsters, not blue muscle-y guys with skull heads. I always thought the various beasts trying to escape the dungeon sticker of Grayskull were beings from his dimension. I like it when anyone from Mer-Man to Webstor (except Spikor. Spikor sucks) can be a real threat to He-Man and could potentially wield the power of Grayskull or at least the power armor to get a boost.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    . . .

2) Even if the writers DID intend to go further... they didn't. Someone somewhere put a stop to it and the idea died before it ever hit print.

. . .
    I'm not sure if the timing works out, but in a way Adora's origin is similar, but flipped around a bit.
    Lost sibling working for evil, but she becomes good.
    Never thought about it before reading that comment, but maybe that would be a reason for it being stopped.

Personally I enjoy the Keldor story line.

Call Your Champion Voodoo Magic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by justwannalook View Post
    Skeletor has always been a mysterious demon from another dimension for me. When I was a kid and read the first 4 minicomics and he said something about 'others of my kind', I just thought it meant random demons and monsters, not blue muscle-y guys with skull heads. I always thought the various beasts trying to escape the dungeon sticker of Grayskull were beings from his dimension.
    Interesting! Something like this could definitely work for me.

Might be kind of fun to give him a "Multiple Choice" origin - where any and all of the origins given in the past might be true. There might have been a dude named Keldor that was around and disappeared about the time Skeletor showed up. Others might talk about somehow meeting a skull-headed race from another dimension, and with the Horde involved, perhaps Hordak simply conjured him from some netherworld. But we never really find out which one is the real story, if any of them.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"All you have is your fire, and the place you need to reach
    Don't you ever tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash"
    - Hozier, "Arsonist's Lullabye"

I still prefer the 200X Keldor origin story.
    Tweeterhead Statue Want List: He-Man 2.0, Battle Cat, Panthor, Tung Lashor, Rattlor, Zodak (200X style), She-Ra 2.0, Sorceress, Buzz Off, Webstor, Kobra Khan, King Hiss, Scare Glow

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-Man View Post
    There might have been a dude named Keldor that was around and disappeared about the time Skeletor showed up.
    That's actually how Prince Adam works in my personal MOTUverse. Someone once commented on how he sort of looks like He-Man and he, being vainglorious, ran with it. He's never outright said he's He-Man, not wanting to upset the actual He-Man, but he has never denied it and even fosters it somewhat. He even went so far as to commission a sword that looked like He-Man's sword. He really is the layabout and lout his father thinks he is and could just as easily turn into a despot as a noble leader in his father's fashion. It depends on if he starts trying to emulate more than just He-Man's power and also learns his empathy and honor.

I could see Keldor working sort of like that, or maybe Skeletor killed him in an early encounter before anyone even knew of his existence. Since Keldor disappeared and Skeletor appeared, some, including Randor, secretly wonder if maybe the two could actually be one and the same. Skeletor has used this to sow doubt in some just to gain any advantage he can.

Widget
    Search for Keldor was always my favourite as a kid. Back then I interpretted Keldor as being a loving older brother to Randor who has been possessed or transformed by the towers or Hordak. I have never liked later interpretations of Keldor, thought he should always be human.