Thread: What if David Lynch wrote and directed A MOTU film/cartoon?

What if David Lynch wrote and directed A MOTU film/cartoon?

I'm not sure if this is the right forum... but a couple of us were chatting in another thread. I'm not really interested in whether it would be a good idea, but in how Lynch might do things.

For example:
    Lynch deals with dual identities in Lost Highway, Mulholland Dr, and Inland Empire. So he'd probably do something very interesting with the Adam/He-man alter ego thing. Like maybe Adam wouldn't even know he was He-man. Maybe he'd just black out or something and change. Duncan and Orko would see it and tell Adam he was he-man but it would cause a psychic rift in Adam. He would be unreliable, throwing Eternia into jeopardy. Maybe Skeletor would even know and mess with Adam's mind, like the mystery man (Robert Blake) does to Bill Pullman in Lost Highway.

Feel free to not answer, but HOW high are you right now?
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

https://youtu.be/PALjbTo1D5U

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rikki Roxx View Post
    Feel free to not answer, but HOW high are you right now?
    Ha ha, not at all. But I've always been a bit weird... also, watching this what if lynch directed return of the jedi video will put you in a different mind set.

I'm speechless. I feel like I should give someone money after watching that. That's brilliant stuff.

To topic, Lynch definitely does some extraordinary things with dual identities, people living a "double life", and so on. So his take on the Adam/He-Man (and possibly the Keldor/Skeletor) dynamic would certainly be intriguing.

The downside being, his staging of action and fight scenes has always been functional at best. That would sort of preclude him doing such an action-heavy project, I'd think.

I think if he were tasked with one piece of a larger anthology-style project, though, such as an episode of a TV series or a chapter of something like the animated Batman: Gotham Knight movie, the results might be pretty spectacular. I'm just not sure his interpretation would play well for an entire large-scale project like a movie.

If absolutely nothing else, it would be visually stunning.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

I would love a show that experimented with animation and story. Marvel’s What if? Got pretty dark but, something like this or the Star Wars Visions thing is right up my alley. David Lynch would bring amazing atmosphere and dark/weird storylines- I love Lynch so, I would appreciate it.

You made me start thinking how I would switch out the characters in Twin Peaks for MOTU characters. Like, Moss Man as the Log Lady. LOL. I’m only slightly high right now. j/k

...and that video. Wow!
    Last edited by Glasstor; August 27, 2021 at 09:54pm.

I had no idea there were so many Lynch fans among the MOTU fandom. I have a whole new respect for some of you folks. This is heartwarming stuff.

At this point, would anything be surprising? We had the guy behind Clerks showrun a MOTU show. It would make no difference if asking how we'd feel if George Lucas or Jim Carrey directed.
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

I'd prefer not. The first season of Twin Peaks was ok. I watched the whole series since a friend of mine is a fan, but it was a chore to get through it and the movie. I fell asleep multiple times trying to get through episodes. I watched M. Drive once. I just remember the movie being decent at the beginning and then it flipping to a whole different movie half way through. There are many I'd prefer over him for a MOTU film or cartoon. He is too eccentric for something that needs mass appeal like MOTU.

I don't think I would want someone like Lynch doing a MOTU movie or TV series...but then I never wanted Kevin Smith on MOTU.

I think I would even have more trust in Michael Bay in charge of MOTU.

Yeah, no, it wouldn't make for a good motu movie. Not at all. I'm just wondering what he'd do to it, like that Return of the Jedi video.

No way in heck people would like it outside of a few weirdos like me.

But like the idea of Moss Man as the long lady is what I was thinking of (good call by the way).

I think maybe a jazz dancing, backwards talking Orko ala the man from another place.

And like mentioned above, Keldor being overtaken by Skeletor like Bob taking over Leland and Dale Cooper.

Scareglow could be that homeless monster lady behind the dumpster in Mulholland Dr.

I could even see a mute version of Ram Man dragging his feet around like Henry in Erasehead. Or maybe Adora cried so much as a baby that Marlena runs away, Randor freaks out, and Hordak steals her away like the Eraserhead baby with all this creepy, droning music going on.

Club Silencio could be a room in Snake Mountain, or maybe even the Fright Zone and the monster puppet sings Crying in Spanish while Teela is stuck in the prison and The Sorceress is trapped in the tree (and is actually turning into a tree like that Filmation episode).

- - - Updated - - -

And the happy ending to the whole story comes from The Straight Story:

An ancient Randor hobbles onto the Dragon Walker, slowly crossing Eternia at 4 miles per hour, to visit his brother Keldor who is dying. The Dragon Walker barely makes it to Snake Mountain, breaking down as it gets to the front door. Keldor squints, "Is that you Randor? You came all this way to see me, in that?" Keldor and Randor both tear up, just one drop each, and the camera pans up to the night sky.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm speechless. I feel like I should give someone money after watching that. That's brilliant stuff.
    I'm glad I could turn you onto that video. You know Lynch was offered the chance to direct Return of the Jedi and turned it down.

Some fans might be disappointed (other fans? overjoyed) at the early death of Teela and subsequent mystery surrounding it. He-Man still probably wouldnít be the main character, but Evil-Lyn has a strong chance of being the standout featured performer.

Iím doing my best to figure out how Orko fits in, and my mind keeps going back to disturbing Eraserhead style puppetry. No one is going home happy with this one.

I have no idea how he is going to fit a diner into this one.

Quote Originally Posted by HeyBear32 View Post
    Some fans might be disappointed (other fans? overjoyed) at the early death of Teela and subsequent mystery surrounding it. He-Man still probably wouldn’t be the main character, but Evil-Lyn has a strong chance of being the standout featured performer.

I’m doing my best to figure out how Orko fits in, and my mind keeps going back to disturbing Eraserhead style puppetry. No one is going home happy with this one.

I have no idea how he is going to fit a diner into this one.
    Creepy Orko puppet would be great.

The diner could serve dancing, oozing roast gooble. Maybe Chef Allen works there.

You're right, evil lyn would probably be a major force in the story.

I love this thread

Co-Creator of the NV
    To answer the original question.. it would be trippy and sorta weird.

I can see the movie in my head, and even for MOTU I hate it. But I totally get it. ( I think ) The skeleton in the Dr. Office is Skeletor played to perfection by Nicolas Cage. Lol yeah box office bomb cult classic almost immediately...

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I'd prefer not. The first season of Twin Peaks was ok. I watched the whole series since a friend of mine is a fan, but it was a chore to get through it and the movie. I fell asleep multiple times trying to get through episodes.
    You were supposed to be drinking copious amounts of black coffee during your viewing, sir. That is the correct way to do Twin Peaks. Cherry Pie encouraged, yet optional.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HeyBear32 View Post
    Iím doing my best to figure out how Orko fits in
    Man-At-Arms: "Orko, today you remind me of a small, Mexican Chi-wow-wow."

And then everybody goes on about their business as if this incredible sentence was never spoken. And it never comes up again.

You were supposed to be drinking copious amounts of black coffee during your viewing, sir. That is the correct way to do Twin Peaks. Cherry Pie encouraged, yet optional.

- - - Updated - - -

Man-At-Arms: "Orko, today you remind me of a small, Mexican Chi-wow-wow."

And then everybody goes on about their business as if this incredible sentence was never spoken. And it never comes up again.
    A table full of donuts would be my go to over the cherry pie... but I know the pie is the iconic take.

I can totally hear Lynch saying that in MAA's voice to Orko.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by smanomega View Post
    I can see the movie in my head, and even for MOTU I hate it. But I totally get it. ( I think ) The skeleton in the Dr. Office is Skeletor played to perfection by Nicolas Cage. Lol yeah box office bomb cult classic almost immediately...
    Yes! Nicolas Cage as Skeletor! I mean he already did Ghost Rider. This time he rides Panthor instead of a motorcycle. Panthor could have flaming eyes and claws. Although maybe Cage should be Scareglow? But Willem Dafoe from Wild At Heart could do Scareglow. He was sooooo creepy in that movie. Nicolas Cage as Skeletor and Evil-Lyn go on a cross country trek. I don't think Laura Dern would make a great Evil-Lyn though.

I'm thinking Dennis Hopper from Blue Velvet could play Hordak. Hopper could totally pull off the voice.

If it wasn't for the hair color, Kyle McLachlan could play Prince Adam. He's already a boy-scout type in both Twin Peaks and Blue Velvet.

- - - Updated - - -

And the Cowboy from Mulholland Dr. would play Rio Blast.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, Naomi Watts and Naomi Watts could play a female version of Two-Bad.

Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post

If it wasn't for the hair color, Kyle McLachlan could play Prince Adam. He's already a boy-scout type in both Twin Peaks and Blue Velvet.
    Y'know what's crazy is that the character he played in Showgirls was so against-type that I didn't even recognize him, at first. I was like "Wait, I totally know that guy," and then I saw the credits and was like "NO way!"

80s-00s Lynch I'd be all for it.

But lynch of late, no thank you.

Give me 70s 80s and Naked Lunch,, Crash, Cronenberg and now we're really talking. Trap jaw, tri klops I could only imagine.

Y'know what's crazy is that the character he played in Showgirls was so against-type that I didn't even recognize him, at first. I was like "Wait, I totally know that guy," and then I saw the credits and was like "NO way!"
    I was just telling a friend we need to watch Showgirls because we just watched total recall at the theater last night, and both films were directed by Verhoven. Kyle definitely played off type in that one.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by banthafett View Post
    80s-00s Lynch I'd be all for it.

But lynch of late, no thank you.

Give me 70s 80s and Naked Lunch,, Crash, Cronenberg and now we're really talking. Trap jaw, tri klops I could only imagine.
    Wow... A Cronenberg directed MOTU would be cool too. He'd turn Trap Jaw and Tri Klops into nightmare characters for sure. It would have been interesting to see what he'd do with the cult in MOTUR.

I actually just got to see Videodrome at the theater last week too. I'd be afraid of what he'd do to The Sorceress, if he had her caged like in the 87 movie. Fearless Photog would have to show up in it though.

- - - Updated - - -

I actually wish I had the resources to put a little video together of this idea. It would be fun. I think maybe 10 people would get it. I wonder how much overlap there is between MOTU and Lynch.
    Last edited by jibernish; August 31, 2021 at 11:28pm.