Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 190

Thread: Kevin Smith at Power-Con

  1. #1
    Widget
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    32

    Kevin Smith at Power-Con

    What sort of reception does everyone think Kevin Smith will receive at Power-Con this year?

  2. #2
    Heroic Warrior Baba1983's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayskullPrime View Post
    What sort of reception does everyone think Kevin Smith will receive at Power-Con this year?
    I'm not falling for that one lol. What do you think?

  3. #3
    Heroic Warrior Rikki Roxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    nWo Country
    Posts
    1,307
    Somebody better get this dude a Popemobile. Bulletproof glass and all.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

  4. #4
    Warrior of El Shaddai He-bro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6,410
    That is a bad idea, unless someone is selling tomatoes for $5 a piece right outside the door.

    That should make enough to pay for the next 5 years of powercons.


  5. #5
    Evil Customizer smanomega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    beneath the ruins of the three towers
    Posts
    2,476
    Excuse my ignorance but, is this for real? If so bravo! KS you got some stones. Security would handle the "tough guys" Good luck getting a word in edge wise. He'd have to be silent Bob all weekend. # wouldn't wanna be KS .... Awkward..

  6. #6
    Heroic Warrior Universe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    499
    While it's clear that there are people who get really toxic when it comes to protecting a particular vision of their favorite property, and that these people make up a vocal segment of geeky fanbases, it's unclear to me whether those toxic personalities make up the majority of attendees at a fan convention. I guess we'll see.

  7. #7
    Heroic Warrior Mark M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    3,056
    Put him on trial like he did with George Lucas in the Clerks cartoon.

    Kevin Smith will probably show up for a few mintutes then leave then come back for a few minutes at the end and say he was there the full convetion.

  8. #8
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    1,112
    The security isn't there to protect Kevin Smith from us, it's there to protect us from Kevin Smith.

    https://youtu.be/vuBWbpTJRqk

  9. #9
    Cobra Saboteur Firefly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    12,578
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayskullPrime View Post
    What sort of reception does everyone think Kevin Smith will receive at Power-Con this year?
    Very positive. I've never seen a guest there be treated disrespectfully. Noelle Stevenson and her crew were treated well despite her show not being everyone's cup of tea. As far as celebrities going to Power-Con, he is one of the bigger names to ever be there, so there will be a certain it is cool to see a celebrity appeal to him. Also, people are almost always more nice in person than behind a keyboard and just because one dislikes something doesn't mean they will feel the need to be rude about it. Worst case scenario, there are a few boos among the strong majority of applause. While Power-Con has gotten bigger over the years, it still has a bit of the we are all part of the MOTU family appeal to it despite some of our differences.

  10. #10
    Heroic Warrior wayne-klops's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Fishers, Indiana
    Posts
    5,176
    If people act stupid towards Kevin Smith at this year's Power-Con, it might make me reconsider going to any future ones. I have gone every year since 2016 and it has always been a friendly, positive experience. As Firefly mentioned, the Dreamworks She-Ra crew was treated very well, and I would expect the same for the Revelations crew. I hope that doesn't change, because I wouldn't really want to be associated with a community that would treat people in person the way I have seen some of the toxicity on here and other places on the internet.
    CC: 1) Lizorr, 2) Sagitar, 3) King Miro, 4) Hunga, 5) Hoove, 6) Kayo, 7) Artilla, 9) Master Sebrian, 10) MoP Demons, 11) Twiggets, 12) Raj-Jar, 13) Hans Hammerholder, 14) Staghorn, 15) Spinwit, 16) Vizar, 17) Butthead, 18) Nocturna, 19) Melaktha, 20) Vy-Por
    CG: 1) Whiplash, 2) Ram Man, 3) Leech, 4) Kobra Khan, 5) Moss Man, 6) Bow, 7) Buzz Off, 8) Multi-Bot, 9) Entrapta, 10) Webstor

  11. #11
    Heroic Warrior Mark M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    3,056
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Very positive. I've never seen a guest there be treated disrespectfully. Noelle Stevenson and her crew were treated well despite her show not being everyone's cup of tea. As far as celebrities going to Power-Con, he is one of the bigger names to ever be there, so there will be a certain it is cool to see a celebrity appeal to him. Also, people are almost always more nice in person than behind a keyboard and just because one dislikes something doesn't mean they will feel the need to be rude about it. Worst case scenario, there are a few boos among the strong majority of applause. While Power-Con has gotten bigger over the years, it still has a bit of the we are all part of the MOTU family appeal to it despite some of our differences.
    To be fair Noelle Stevenson at least made a She-Ra show with She-Ra as the main character.

  12. #12
    In Stereo Where Available Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    13,587
    As for how Smith will be received at Power-Con, my guess is favorably. I think this show went over well with more MOTU die hard fans than not (you know.. the kind of people who would actually go to a MOTU convention). Plus, whether warranted or not (and in this case, it very much is NOT), people are far less likely to be confrontational in person than on the internet. Even if anyone says something to him about not liking it, it probably won't be in a very harsh tone or anything like that.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    To be fair Noelle Stevenson at least made a She-Ra show with She-Ra as the main character.
    In terms of the fictional characters on the show, sure, but the way the show was promoted and treated, it was more like "The Noelle Stevenson Show featuring She-Ra."
    ____________________________________________

  13. #13
    Heroic Warrior Mark M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    3,056
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    In terms of the fictional characters on the show, sure, but the way the show was promoted and treated, it was more like "The Noelle Stevenson Show featuring She-Ra."
    I would somewhat agre with that. It wasn't perfect by any means but for the most part I did actually quite like it.

  14. #14
    Life is good Dice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    6,088
    I just hope someone gets the opportunity to yell "You lied!" at him and then start bawling on the floor while trying to blubber out "He-Man isn't in it..."
    "To a great mind, nothing is little."

  15. #15
    Heroic Warrior Mark M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    3,056
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    When Kevin Smith is at Power-Con will someone please give him some fashion advice and tell him to stop wearing the purple blazer, jeans shorts and a backwards baseball cap.

  16. #16
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    694
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Very positive. I've never seen a guest there be treated disrespectfully. Noelle Stevenson and her crew were treated well despite her show not being everyone's cup of tea. As far as celebrities going to Power-Con, he is one of the bigger names to ever be there, so there will be a certain it is cool to see a celebrity appeal to him. Also, people are almost always more nice in person than behind a keyboard and just because one dislikes something doesn't mean they will feel the need to be rude about it. Worst case scenario, there are a few boos among the strong majority of applause. While Power-Con has gotten bigger over the years, it still has a bit of the we are all part of the MOTU family appeal to it despite some of our differences.
    Agreed - I think the power-con has always been a very positive experience and he will be treated well despite some dislike of the show.

  17. #17
    Argenternian heavy-eternium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    BUENOS AIRES,ARGENTINA,SOUTH OF HEAVEN
    Posts
    2,238
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayskullPrime View Post
    What sort of reception does everyone think Kevin Smith will receive at Power-Con this year?
    Good, complainers don't go to cons ,just nice people

  18. #18
    Heroic Dad, Teacher, Nerd Uki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    The Woodlands,Tx
    Posts
    13,144
    I'd hope he would get a mature, levelheaded response befitting the adults present who all voice their criticisms constructively.
    MOTU Origins Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Anti-Eternia Characters, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

    Instagram: Just_Thommy
    Hermione's Toy Box on Youtube (GIVEAWAY in Progress!): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8C...xlwUttPSJAUZMA

  19. #19
    Heroic Warrior Mach5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by GrayskullPrime View Post
    What sort of reception does everyone think Kevin Smith will receive at Power-Con this year?
    I like Revelation, but a part of me wished they'd boo him off stage, solely for the way he conducted himself online.

    He was such an insufferable ***********. Can't ever condone something like that.

  20. #20
    Heroic Warrior jackstatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    929
    Did Scott Neitlich EVER get a bad response and boo'd? He was public enemy #1 to some people for about 8 years! No no, I believe Smith would be cheered just like all other guests as anyone who might not be happy with him would probably just remain quiet in fear of getting booted from the con or confronted by other con goers....
    It always takes me 10 minutes to figure out how to edit this signature

    I want meteorbs dang nabbit!!!

  21. #21
    Color'licious! JVS3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    37,856
    Per Power-Con's terms & conditions when someone buys a ticket, Power-Con reserves the right to remove someone from the show for any reason.
    One reason that will definitely get someone thrown out is being rude to a guest.

    But I have only had two Power-Con attendees be rude to people in the past ten years. One of them had a discussion with myself and security and then they stopped. The other was thrown out and was not allowed to return.

    We have hotel security, a hired security team, an undercover officer, and Anaheim Police on site. They are prepared to immediately deal with any problems or concerns.

    So, I'm really not worried about it. Even people who may not like Kevin's contribution to MOTU will probably just ignore him, or actually take the time to talk to him in a constructive fashion about what they do or don't like. Kevin's the type of person that if you're respectful to him, and he has time to chat, then he'll take the time to listen to what you say.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2021!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

  22. #22
    Heroic Warrior SuperMario's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    261
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Per Power-Con's terms & conditions when someone buys a ticket, Power-Con reserves the right to remove someone from the show for any reason.
    One reason that will definitely get someone thrown out is being rude to a guest.

    But I have only had two Power-Con attendees be rude to people in the past ten years. One of them had a discussion with myself and security and then they stopped. The other was thrown out and was not allowed to return.

    We have hotel security, a hired security team, an undercover officer, and Anaheim Police on site. They are prepared to immediately deal with any problems or concerns.

    So, I'm really not worried about it. Even people who may not like Kevin's contribution to MOTU will probably just ignore him, or actually take the time to talk to him in a constructive fashion about what they do or don't like. Kevin's the type of person that if you're respectful to him, and he has time to chat, then he'll take the time to listen to what you say.
    Just out of curiosity, do the same rules apply to the guests? If Kevin Smith acts the way he has been known to do and is very insulting and dismissive to fans, could he be thrown out as well?

  23. #23
    Color'licious! JVS3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    37,856
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
    Just out of curiosity, do the same rules apply to the guests? If Kevin Smith acts the way he has been known to do and is very insulting and dismissive to fans, could he be thrown out as well?
    I think it's clear what I meant.
    If someone at the show causes trouble, and is hurling insults, or being aggressive or inappropriate, or the like, they will be dealt with.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2021!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

  24. #24
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    568
    Just show the fans a trailer and a synopsis that guarantees us more Adam and He-Man and they'll be butter.

  25. #25
    Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    7,318
    Quote Originally Posted by Mach5 View Post
    I like Revelation, but a part of me wished they'd boo him off stage, solely for the way he conducted himself online.

    He was such an insufferable *********. Can't ever condone something like that.
    Demonstrate your disatisfaction with someone acting like "an insufferable *********" by acting like one yourself. That will show him.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •