Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 176 to 190 of 190

Thread: Kevin Smith at Power-Con

  1. #176
    Cobra Saboteur Firefly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    12,575
    Quote Originally Posted by facet View Post
    So keven never came correct, some sort of crisis back at home. Or did I miss something
    Kevin only appeared in a pre-recorded intro for the composer's panel. It was more disappointing that Rob David and Mattel's panels were all pre-recorded as well and never took questions from the live Power-Con crowd for any of the toy or cartoon related panels. The only full live and in person panel related to Revelation was the voice actor panel, but that really didn't fit itself well to ask hard hitting questions since those 2 wouldn't be able to say anything and I think they only had time for 1 audience question, anyways. The voice actors were treated very warmly.

  2. #177
    Call Your Champion Voodoo Magic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Jersey born and raised!
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    The only full live and in person panel related to Revelation was the voice actor panel, but that really didn't fit itself well to ask hard hitting questions since those 2 wouldn't be able to say anything and I think they only had time for 1 audience question, anyways.
    Did you have any hard hitting questions in mind?
    ~ CALL YOUR CHAMPION ~

  3. #178
    Cobra Saboteur Firefly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    12,575
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo Magic View Post
    Did you have any hard hitting questions in mind?
    I like the show overall so far despite some of its faults and I think one needs to see how the next 5 episodes go before making any full judgments, so no in relationship to the cartoon for myself. I did want to see some questions as it relates to the toylines and distribution decisions. Q&A sections of panels seem the most entertaining part at past Power-Cons and where you might be able to get nuggets of information you otherwise might never have gotten.

  4. #179
    Life is good Dice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    6,088
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo Magic View Post
    Did you have any hard hitting questions in mind?
    I would like to ask them if they regret not releasing the entire 10 episode series at once. Or at least ask them why they did it the way they've done.


    I have to assume the reason could have been them wanting to stretch it out over time to have more time to release more figures?

    So do they now regret that decision or feel like it's the way things needed to go?
    "To a great mind, nothing is little."

  5. #180
    Heroic Warrior wayne-klops's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Fishers, Indiana
    Posts
    5,176
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    I would like to ask them if they regret not releasing the entire 10 episode series at once. Or at least ask them why they did it the way they've done.


    I have to assume the reason could have been them wanting to stretch it out over time to have more time to release more figures?

    So do they now regret that decision or feel like it's the way things needed to go?
    I don't think the makers of the show had any input on how Netflix releases the episodes; it's all up to Netflix. From what I've heard, the producers of the show definitely would've preferred releasing all 10 at once, and believe a lot of the backlash wouldn't have happened if it had been released that way. They really screwed things up because a certain faction now is not going to give the second batch of episodes a chance when they would have if they'd all been released at once.

    Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
    CC: 1) Lizorr, 2) Sagitar, 3) King Miro, 4) Hunga, 5) Hoove, 6) Kayo, 7) Artilla, 9) Master Sebrian, 10) MoP Demons, 11) Twiggets, 12) Raj-Jar, 13) Hans Hammerholder, 14) Staghorn, 15) Spinwit, 16) Vizar, 17) Butthead, 18) Nocturna, 19) Melaktha, 20) Vy-Por
    CG: 1) Whiplash, 2) Ram Man, 3) Leech, 4) Kobra Khan, 5) Moss Man, 6) Bow, 7) Buzz Off, 8) Multi-Bot, 9) Entrapta, 10) Webstor

  6. #181
    Life is good Dice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    6,088
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne-klops View Post
    I don't think the makers of the show had any input on how Netflix releases the episodes; it's all up to Netflix. From what I've heard, the producers of the show definitely would've preferred releasing all 10 at once, and believe a lot of the backlash wouldn't have happened if it had been released that way. They really screwed things up because a certain faction now is not going to give the second batch of episodes a chance when they would have if they'd all been released at once.

    Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
    That seems really odd to me only because I can't think of a another time Netflix has divided a release of a full season. Can't even think of any reason that would benefit Netflix. Maybe I just don't watch enough shows on Netflix?
    "To a great mind, nothing is little."

  7. #182
    Heroic Warrior wayne-klops's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Fishers, Indiana
    Posts
    5,176
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    That seems really odd to me only because I can't think of a another time Netflix has divided a release of a full season. Can't even think of any reason that would benefit Netflix. Maybe I just don't watch enough shows on Netflix?
    They did it with at least one of the seasons of the Netflix She-Ra. Each season of that show was supposed to be 13 episodes. I can't remember which ones they split, but at least one was split like 6 and 7 or something like that.

    Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
    CC: 1) Lizorr, 2) Sagitar, 3) King Miro, 4) Hunga, 5) Hoove, 6) Kayo, 7) Artilla, 9) Master Sebrian, 10) MoP Demons, 11) Twiggets, 12) Raj-Jar, 13) Hans Hammerholder, 14) Staghorn, 15) Spinwit, 16) Vizar, 17) Butthead, 18) Nocturna, 19) Melaktha, 20) Vy-Por
    CG: 1) Whiplash, 2) Ram Man, 3) Leech, 4) Kobra Khan, 5) Moss Man, 6) Bow, 7) Buzz Off, 8) Multi-Bot, 9) Entrapta, 10) Webstor

  8. #183
    Heroic Warrior Reviews2D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2021
    Location
    Fright zone
    Posts
    602
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne-klops View Post
    They did it with at least one of the seasons of the Netflix She-Ra. Each season of that show was supposed to be 13 episodes. I can't remember which ones they split, but at least one was split like 6 and 7 or something like that.

    Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
    Season 2 was the one that was split into 2 and 3 which is why those have less episodes than the others.
    Princesses of Power enthusiast

  9. #184
    Evil Customizer smanomega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    beneath the ruins of the three towers
    Posts
    2,465
    They did it with Lucifer too. Come to think about it, Lucifer was cut off at a real Cliffhanger too.

    I wish Netflix would take the Disney approach and quick release 1 episode a week. I hate binge watching. Sure it's great to get a big chunk of show out of the way, sometimes. But then your left with the dilemma of what to watch next?

  10. #185
    Life is good Dice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    6,088
    Quote Originally Posted by smanomega View Post
    They did it with Lucifer too. Come to think about it, Lucifer was cut off at a real Cliffhanger too.

    I wish Netflix would take the Disney approach and quick release 1 episode a week. I hate binge watching. Sure it's great to get a big chunk of show out of the way, sometimes. But then your left with the dilemma of what to watch next?
    I knew about Lucifer but wasn't that different in that the last episodes weren't yet complete?
    "To a great mind, nothing is little."

  11. #186
    Widget
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Rikki Roxx View Post
    I've always surmised that Revelation is "The Big Goodbye" to MOTU Classic Flavor so they can say they gave us older fans who are "aging out" one last dance with the characters we grew up with in an animated format, but that they feel the CGI reboot/New Coke MOTU is the future and plan on hooking all the "new kids" in order to grow the overall MOTU audience and move forward from there.

    If it works, it'll be like the first time that strategy's ever paid off for anything, but that is indeed what I think the plan was or is. I think that's also why they were set to debut so close together; if you don't like one, you might like the other, and all that.

    But I do think Mattel (and probably Netflix, maybe even more Netflix than Mattel) genuinely feels like the reboot is what's going to carry the brand from now on and thus that's what they plan on giving a bigger and more sustained push.
    You really think so? I think they’re just taking a page from the Marvel and DC playbook- providing different iterations of the property to different audiences. It certainly has worked well for those two companies- that’s all I see Mattel doing- hence the whole Masterverse business. It’s probably the smartest move in the long run. I also think that the “classic” version of the property will remain the core identity of the MotU as evidenced by the fact that it’s still the aesthetic that dominates most of the merchandise.
    Last edited by The_ugly_insect; September 15, 2021 at 08:02pm.

  12. #187
    Heroic sculptor of toys Battle_Brak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    1,348
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    That seems really odd to me only because I can't think of a another time Netflix has divided a release of a full season. Can't even think of any reason that would benefit Netflix. Maybe I just don't watch enough shows on Netflix?
    They actually do it a lot. They started the practice because when they started airing original content they were premiering it all at once. This had the effect that people were signing up for a month, binging all the new seasons and then cancelling their subs. So they began staggering releases around the year and splitting up seasons to keep people subbed. It sucks, but I get why they did it.
    Check out my artwork: https://aarondoyle.artstation.com/

  13. #188
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    398
    To me, binge watching is the way to go.
    It's like reading a novel.
    I don't read just one chapter a week, but a good chunk of it at one seating, put it down, and continue the next day or two.

    Same with Netflix show.
    I may watch all the episodes in one sitting or divide them up between consecutive days.
    Then wait for the next batch, like waiting for the next book in a long series.

  14. #189
    Heroic Warrior King Kahn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    nashville, tn
    Posts
    6,373
    Quote Originally Posted by tnktrk View Post
    To me, binge watching is the way to go.
    It's like reading a novel.
    I don't read just one chapter a week, but a good chunk of it at one seating, put it down, and continue the next day or two.

    Same with Netflix show.
    I may watch all the episodes in one sitting or divide them up between consecutive days.
    Then wait for the next batch, like waiting for the next book in a long series.
    Yeah it is why I mostly stopped reading single issue comics. I want an entire story in one sitting.
    cogito ergo doleo

  15. #190
    Heroic Warrior Rikki Roxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    nWo Country
    Posts
    1,307
    Quote Originally Posted by The_ugly_insect View Post
    You really think so? I think they’re just taking a page from the Marvel and DC playbook- providing different iterations of the property to different audiences. It certainly has worked well for those two companies- that’s all I see Mattel doing- hence the whole Masterverse business. It’s probably the smartest move in the long run. I also think that the “classic” version of the property will remain the core identity of the MotU as evidenced by the fact that it’s still the aesthetic that dominates most of the merchandise.
    I'unno, we'll see.

    All you ever hear anymore is, "The brand needs to get away from the whole 'naked barbarian' thing if today's kids are gonna like it, and that it's time to move away from catering to 40-year olds and start programming for their kids instead." It definitely implies that "Classic Coke" flavor MOTU being phased out gradually is, or was, at some point, part of the overall brand strategy. I mean, Mattel themselves never said anything to that effect, but you hear it over and over again from some people as to why "MOTU isn't as popular as it should be", and so on. That the brand needs a "total reinvention" if it's going to survive much longer, etc.

    To allow myself some wiggle room in this "prediction" or whatever, I'll hedge my bets a little by saying that I think the surprise success of the Origins line may have forced Mattel to rethink a few things. I think both Origins and Revelation were initially intended to help give "closure" to older fans while they got ready for the Big Reboot, but then it turned out that there was more money in old-school MOTU than they'd predicted. So perhaps that book won't be closed so tightly shut just yet after all. But I do suspect that at some point that was at least part of the plan.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •