Thread: Movies based on comic strips you wouldn't mind seeing

Heroic Warrior

Movies based on comic strips you wouldn't mind seeing

Garfield and Peanuts have had cartoons and movies years ago.

other newspaper comic strips id love to see a movie be made someday

Hagar
    Mary Worth
    Rex Morgan
    Doonesbury a movie based on the comic strip would be perfect right now these days due to everyone being so gung ho on politics etc

Heroic Warrior
    Don't forget that Addam's Family was a comic strip to begin with.

Prince Valiant had a cartoon series.

examples of ones that got a TV series would be Andy Capp, Beakman's World, Blondie, Buck Rogers, Dennis The Menace, Flash Gordon, Terry and The Pirates, etc.

Frank Cho's Liberty Meadows would make a fun animated series.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon78 View Post
    Frank Cho's Liberty Meadows would make a fun animated series.
    That show would definitely need some "bounce" to it.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Heroic Warrior
    When the heck did Andy Capp get a frikkin tv show? I suppose it was animated anyway?

Blondie and Dagwood I think there were a few old black and white movies from the 1930s or something I think?

- - - Updated - - -

the more adult oriented comic strips like Mary Worth and Rex morgan and Doonesbury I dunno if Hollywood would even attempt to do movies especially with Doonesbury

Eternian Metal Head Skeletor-81's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by urrutiap View Post
    Garfield and Peanuts have had cartoons and movies years ago.

other newspaper comic strips id love to see a movie be made someday

Hagar
    Mary Worth
    Rex Morgan
    Doonesbury a movie based on the comic strip would be perfect right now these days due to everyone being so gung ho on politics etc
    I loved Hagar! That would be pretty cool.
    "I have great faith in fools, self-confidence my friends call it." -Edgar Allen Poe

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon78 View Post
    Don't forget that Addam's Family was a comic strip to begin with.
    Meh, I don't count that. They were single panel illustrations and the characters didn't even have names. Gomez and Morticia weren't named till the 60's series

I really hate how they keep going back to the 'comic strip', when everything that made them awesome and memorable came from John Astin's series.

Didn't Beetle Bailey get a cartoon or movie? That feels familiar to me...

Heroic Warrior
    well i just found out on wikipedia about Beetle Bailey animation

1972 there was some animated superstars special

then in 1989 a Beetle Bailey cartoon special was supposed to air on CBS but there was some disagreeing going on or whatever

Sorcerer of Night Lord_Of_Destruction's Avatar
    Other ones that have been made into movies include:
    Denis the Menace
    Over The Hedge
    Marmaduke
    Little Nemo
    **** Tracy
    The Phantom

Annie and Lil' Abner have movies based on their Broadway musicals which in turn were based on the comics. Popeye started as a comic character but it's debatable if the movie is based more on the comic or cartoons.

I could see Beetle Baily or Hagar the Horrible being made into a film. Sherman's Lagoon would be a good one (though animated would be the way to go) I'd love to see Calvin and Hobbs but Bill Watterson would probably never sign off on it. (He was very opposed to ever merchandising the strip)

Wizard of Id almost had a Muppet version made. Never developed pas the pitch real though.
    "How I loathe heroes! Always getting in the way and acting so... so... heroic!"

please check out my fan fics at:

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/399417/

Heroic Warrior
    Mandrake the Magician has been teased a few times, but still lingers in development hell.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Of_Destruction View Post
    I could see Beetle Baily or Hagar the Horrible being made into a film.
    I would almost argue Beetle Baily has been... Something about the lazy soldier outsmarting the angry Commanding officers is practically a trope at this point

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if some of these movies were originally Beetle Bailey scripts or concepts before getting changed down the line...

Buckles would be a fun romp. He's cute enough to attract an audience out if curiosity and he had quite a few big arcs.

Foxtrot would make a good DomCom, but I could see it getting done dirty like Baby Blues did.

Of course my top pick would always be Calvin and Hobbes. And when that happens, you can all hit me up for million dollar checks because I will also have won more money than Scrooge McDuck.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

Heroic Warrior
    This one is about as much of a long-shot as you could get. Back in the 70s Don Rosa (yes, of Scrooge McDuck fame) drew a weekly strip for The Louisville Times called "Captain Kentucky". As a kid I saw it as just a superhero parody but re-reading them years later when Rosa published books of re-prints did I realize that it was more editorial cartoon. The stories were so tied to the celebrities, politicians and goings on in Louisville at the time it was being published that it's a real memory jogger for someone who actually lived in the area at the time, I imagine it's very confusing and nearly impossible for an outside reader to appreciate.
    My friend told me to stop quoting the Monkees. I thought she was joking. But then I saw her face.

Heroic Warrior
    I hear Hagar toon is coming , they did make 1 episode back in 80s , also 2 Blondie episodes

Id love Phantom (2040 animation was too out there for my taste) and Mandrake toons provided they could use those old stories , perhaps get BTAS people involved
    Don't you have better thing to do than read this stupid signature

Tony Clifton : Kaufman was a hack....hack sack pack nack !

Heroic Warrior
    Was there really an Andy Kapp cartoon? I kind of heard about it back then in the early 1990s or whatever but I must have missed it at the time

- - - Updated - - -

I do remember an old Ziggy cartoon during the early mid 1980s though.

Prince Valiant. Star Hawks.

Marvel's Power Pack.

Lucky Luke (a western parody).

More Tintin movies (I loved the Spielberg one).

The Leopard from Lime Street (based on the teenaged British superhero of the same name from Buster comics).