Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rob Zombie Munsters Movie

Eternian Metal Head Skeletor-81's Avatar

Rob Zombie Munsters Movie

Is anyone else excited to see this when it comes out? From what I gather here he is making an exact replica of Mockingbird lane in a remote part of Romania.

https://screenrant.com/munsters-movi...uction-update/
    "I have great faith in fools, self-confidence my friends call it." -Edgar Allen Poe

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeletor-81 View Post
    Is anyone else excited to see this when it comes out? From what I gather here he is making an exact replica of Mockingbird lane in a remote part of Romania.

https://screenrant.com/munsters-movi...uction-update/
    I'm torn on the concept. He really seems like super fan and working hard to capture the look of the originals which is awesome. On the other hand... It's Rob Zombie, and I heard rumors of it being R rated... which is the exact OPPOSITE of what the Munsters should be.

I'm currently cautiously optimistic... but in a 'wait and see' mode. I used to love the Munsters (still loved Addam's Family better) but if they keep the same cheesy loving family show I'll be all for it. If they try to make it dark and gritty, then they'll have lost anything that was good about the property.

Also don't really see the point on building the whole house... It's really awkward having room for cameras and lights and stuff... theres' a reason most of the time shows like that are filmed on sets and not just whole houses... For an attraction or haunted house or something to tour I'd be all for it, but for a movie it seems more trouble than it's worth...

I liked the Munsters but I am honestly not a fan of Rob Zombie's movies. If he is a super fan of the original show it would be nice if he sticks to the tone of the original show.

I've liked the bulk of his cinematic output but never really got on board with 31 or Three From Hell, which were his most recent ones... so I guess I'm sort of lukewarm on this. I know he's a huge fan (whereas I am not), but I don't know if I need an R-Rated (or unrated) Munsters sex-n-gore fest. But then who knows... styles change and talent grows (usually)... wouldn't it be something if he managed to pull off a mainstream(ish) comedy of some sort that was rated PG-13 and not something akin to the first ten minutes of Halloween 2007 (which, at the time, was pretty jarring to experience to say the least ).
    Clearing out Classics, Super7 and vintage MOTU & PoP figures... check out my threads in the Marketplace for Fisto, Sorceress, BA variants, SDCC exclusives and more!

Iím surprised heís not using the replica one built In Texas. It sounds like heís building a tourist destination for vampire hunters in Romania. Maybe itíll be turned into a hotel- id stay there.

As for the movie, I am excited about it and like others, I am cautiously optimistic. I loved the original and I hope it doesnít lose its campy fun. I expect a horror movie from Rob Z and not a comedy but, we shall see.

Heroic Warrior sportsandstuff777's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glasstor View Post
    Iím surprised heís not using the replica one built In Texas. It sounds like heís building a tourist destination for vampire hunters in Romania. Maybe itíll be turned into a hotel- id stay there.

As for the movie, I am excited about it and like others, I am cautiously optimistic. I loved the original and I hope it doesnít lose its campy fun. I expect a horror movie from Rob Z and not a comedy but, we shall see.
    Ive seen that house near Dallas its very cool

Considering all the original props he owns from the Munsters and the Adams Family, he could a make a movie very easily just using them. I still can't believe he owns Bruno from the Adams Family.

Quote Originally Posted by sportsandstuff777 View Post
    Ive seen that house near Dallas its very cool
    IĎve always wanted to go to their yearly event to see the house.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    Considering all the original props he owns from the Munsters and the Adams Family, he could a make a movie very easily just using them. I still can't believe he owns Bruno from the Adams Family.
    Whoa! I did not know that! Between him and Guillermo del Toro, they probably own all the cool horror props and art in existence!

Whoa! I did not know that! Between him and Guillermo del Toro, they probably own all the cool horror props and art in existence!
    It sits right at his front door to greet visitors as you walk in.

If I remember correctly, he also owns all but 1 of the original Wolfie dolls.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    It sits right at his front door to greet visitors as you walk in.

If I remember correctly, he also owns all but 1 of the original Wolfie dolls.
    Wow, thatís amazing! I know Guillermo owns a whole bunch of original paintings from the old TV show Night Gallery, amongst all his other cool goodies. I passed one up in the 90ís at an antique auction because it was well out of my range at the time(like, $1500, which isnít really that much but, I digress. Lol). Iím kicking myself now. Iím so jealous

Heroic Warrior
    I would be surprised if this movie doesnít come as an R rated movie. Something theyíre all gruesome monster who love each other very much as family but love to go out and kill some humans for fun. A family that slays together stays together and all that

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I'm torn on the concept. He really seems like super fan and working hard to capture the look of the originals which is awesome. On the other hand... It's Rob Zombie, and I heard rumors of it being R rated... which is the exact OPPOSITE of what the Munsters should be.

I'm currently cautiously optimistic... but in a 'wait and see' mode. I used to love the Munsters (still loved Addam's Family better) but if they keep the same cheesy loving family show I'll be all for it. If they try to make it dark and gritty, then they'll have lost anything that was good about the property.

Also don't really see the point on building the whole house... It's really awkward having room for cameras and lights and stuff... theres' a reason most of the time shows like that are filmed on sets and not just whole houses... For an attraction or haunted house or something to tour I'd be all for it, but for a movie it seems more trouble than it's worth...

Yeah, I agree. I think in order to stay true to the original series he would have to keep it at least PG 13. I'm thinking something along the lines of the Dark Shadows movie or Beetlejuice. Nothing too gory. As far as building the house and replicating the street, I personally think it's pretty cool and I'm sure he will be using sets as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    I liked the Munsters but I am honestly not a fan of Rob Zombie's movies. If he is a super fan of the original show it would be nice if he sticks to the tone of the original show.
    From what he has said in interviews about it he is planning to keep it as close to the original as possible.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    I've liked the bulk of his cinematic output but never really got on board with 31 or Three From Hell, which were his most recent ones... so I guess I'm sort of lukewarm on this. I know he's a huge fan (whereas I am not), but I don't know if I need an R-Rated (or unrated) Munsters sex-n-gore fest. But then who knows... styles change and talent grows (usually)... wouldn't it be something if he managed to pull off a mainstream(ish) comedy of some sort that was rated PG-13 and not something akin to the first ten minutes of Halloween 2007 (which, at the time, was pretty jarring to experience to say the least ).
    I am a big fan of his music and most of his movies. I'm with you on 31 and three From Hell. I was not impressed with those either.

- - - Updated - - -

I’m surprised he’s not using the replica one built In Texas. It sounds like he’s building a tourist destination for vampire hunters in Romania. Maybe it’ll be turned into a hotel- id stay there.

As for the movie, I am excited about it and like others, I am cautiously optimistic. I loved the original and I hope it doesn’t lose its campy fun. I expect a horror movie from Rob Z and not a comedy but, we shall see.
    YES! I would most definitely stay there if they made it a hotel. I'm really hoping he does keep it campy. I think Rob could do campy. The Peyote scene in Beavis and Butthead is pretty funny. Have you ever seen the music video for Everybody's ****ing in a UFO? That is really funny!!

On a side note, and this may be more suited for the Covid thread but also relates to Rob Zombie, my wife and I just got back from Inkcarceration in Mansfield Ohio. It was a 3 day Rock Music and tattoo festival at the old Ohio State Reformatory and Rob Zombie was the headliner for Sunday night. Well, things didn't go as planned. My wife ended up getting really sick on Friday morning but did not want to miss Slipknot (Friday's Headliner) so after walking a half mile to get inside, my wife stopping us every few minutes along the way, we get inside just as they came on. We made it through 2 songs before she started getting sick again and nearby security called on medical staff to come. Now this show required us to be vaccinated for COVID or had to show proof of a negative test just to get in but they still insisted she might have Covid. We are not vaxed so they gave her a rapid test in the medic tent. Negative again. They insist I take her to the hospital which I did. The hospital gave her 2 more Covid tests that came back negative all the while insisting she gets the vaccine. She explained that she has a blood clotting disorder and her doctor has advised her not to get it. Anyway, after several hours of them doing a bunch of other tests and bloodwork they finally came back and told us she tested positive for the flu. Yes, people still get the flu. They discharged her around 6 AM on Saturday and on her paperwork it says "possible Covid". Crazy!! So we spent all day Saturday and most of Sunday in our hotel while she regained her strength. I spent over $700 to hear two songs by Slipknot and completely missed Mudvayne and Rob Zombie. Major bummer! How was your weekend? LOL!
    Last edited by Skeletor-81; September 13, 2021 at 10:56am.
    "I have great faith in fools, self-confidence my friends call it." -Edgar Allen Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletor-81 View Post
    On a side note, and this may be more suited for the Covid thread but also relates to Rob Zombie, my wife and I just got back from Inkcarceration in Mansfield Ohio. It was a 3 day Rock Music and tattoo festival at the old Ohio State Reformatory and Rob Zombie was the headliner for Sunday night. Well, things didn't go as planned. My wife ended up getting really sick on Friday morning but did not want to miss Slipknot (Friday's Headliner) so after walking a half mile to get inside, my wife stopping us every few minutes along the way, we get inside just as they came on. We made it through 2 songs before she started getting sick again and nearby security called on medical staff to come. Now this show required us to be vaccinated for COVID or had to show proof of a negative test just to get in but they still insisted she might have Covid. We are not vaxed so they gave her a rapid test in the medic tent. Negative again. They insist I take her to the hospital which I did. The hospital gave her 2 more Covid tests that came back negative all the while insisting she gets the vaccine. She explained that she has a blood clotting disorder and her doctor has advised her not to get it. Anyway, after several hours of them doing a bunch of other tests and bloodwork they finally came back and told us she tested positive for the flu. Yes, people still get the flu. They discharged her around 6 AM on Saturday and on her paperwork it says "possible Covid". Crazy!! So we spent all day Saturday and most of Sunday in our hotel while she regained her strength. I spent over $700 to hear two songs by Slipknot and completely missed Mudvayne and Rob Zombie. Major bummer! How was your weekend? LOL!
    Very sorry to hear about your weekend at Inkcarceration. I made the 12 hour drive from Massachusetts, just to attend Saturday to see Mudvayne's first live performance in 12 years! They were amazing and it was such a great set! Chad's vocals were a little rough at times since the majority of Mudvayne songs are a lot more difficult vocally than most of his vocals in HellYeah, but I've got no doubt that his vocals will be more on point as they play more shows and get more rehearsals under their belts. Great set all around though and touring the "Shawshank" prison and sets was really cool too!

As for the Zombie Munsters movie, I'm pretty sure it'll be true to the original's tone while still being it's own thing. It'll likely have lots of new stuff but have the heart of the original. Much like the live action Addams Family movies. I'm really looking forward to it!
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Bang Your Head
    Who keeps giving Rob money to make movies?

Is this one of those 1994 Fantastic Four situations, where the studio has the rights to a property and if they don't do anything with it, they loose it? "We got till 202x to make this movie, just give it to Rob Zombie so we can hang on to the rights"...

Quote Originally Posted by MossMan710179 View Post
    His theatrical releases have been pretty successful monetarily and his DVD, Blu-Ray and digital sales have been quite successful as well. So in regards to your question, I guess people who like to make money.

His Halloween remake (probably his most critiqued film) held the record for best Labor day weekend box office numbers for 14 years until being bested by Shang-Chi a week and a half ago. I know it's just a Labor day weekend record but that's pretty impressive and it took a Marvel movie to best it.

His stuff definitely isn't for everyone but it's got a lot of fans. That said, I think this Munsters movie could be his most "accessible" to a general audience yet.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

I love Rob Zombie's music and videos but for me (Not to insult or slight anyone in here) he's kinda like Uwe Boll of Horror film director.

Playing a three-hour Rush show is like running a marathon while solving equations.

Heroic Warrior
    They haven't announced the cast, yet (at least not that I know of), but Zombie has shown off the flat top prosthetic for Herman (which does tell me that the part has been cast) and there's a certain cartoony look to it, nothing that says "horror" at all.

Is this one of those 1994 Fantastic Four situations, where the studio has the rights to a property and if they don't do anything with it, they loose it? "We got till 202x to make this movie, just give it to Rob Zombie so we can hang on to the rights"...
    Universal owns the characters so I doubt it's a "use it or lose it" situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Fendi View Post
    I love Rob Zombie's music and videos but for me (Not to insult or slight anyone in here) he's kinda like Uwe Boll of Horror film director.
    I'm hoping for something along the lines of the "Living Dead Girl" video. If he's really going to be authentic he'll shoot in black and white.
    My friend told me to stop quoting the Monkees. I thought she was joking. But then I saw her face.

Bang Your Head
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Abell View Post
    They haven't announced the cast, yet (at least not that I know of), but Zombie has shown off the flat top prosthetic for Herman (which does tell me that the part has been cast) and there's a certain cartoony look to it, nothing that says "horror" at all.
    Sheri Moon Zombie will either be Lily or Marilyn ...

Ugh Iím so not a fan of hers lol. I remember the first time I saw Robs Halloween remake and she had a scene where she dropped the f bomb like 30 times. I lost all interest immediately and shut it off.
    "There's no back door to heaven just a front door to hell" - DIO RIP

Rumors have been she's playing Lily and Jeff Daniel Philips is playing Herman. I can't really picture her as Lily but it's not too surprising considering she's in just about everything he does.

With a project The Munsters it can be difficult to get that quirky, lovable charm back. It really was a great meld between the cast, the concept, and the production which it might be difficult to recapture, even with a lot of cash to throw around. I mean, I like the original but the past attempts at revival just didn't have "it", that indefinable thing that made the show great. Even though the jokes, and the great costumes, and everything were still there somehow it still didn't work.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"All you have is your fire, and the place you need to reach
    Don't you ever tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash"
    - Hozier, "Arsonist's Lullabye"

Quote Originally Posted by dedset13 View Post
    Very sorry to hear about your weekend at Inkcarceration. I made the 12 hour drive from Massachusetts, just to attend Saturday to see Mudvayne's first live performance in 12 years! They were amazing and it was such a great set! Chad's vocals were a little rough at times since the majority of Mudvayne songs are a lot more difficult vocally than most of his vocals in HellYeah, but I've got no doubt that his vocals will be more on point as they play more shows and get more rehearsals under their belts. Great set all around though and touring the "Shawshank" prison and sets was really cool too!

As for the Zombie Munsters movie, I'm pretty sure it'll be true to the original's tone while still being it's own thing. It'll likely have lots of new stuff but have the heart of the original. Much like the live action Addams Family movies. I'm really looking forward to it!
    That's pretty cool! We've been to OSR quite a few times. This was our third time going to Ink, we also went there back in May for the celebrity ghost hunt with the Ghost Brothers, Kindred Spirits, Ben Hansen, and Dave Shrader (Holzer Files).

Quote Originally Posted by dedset13 View Post
    Rumors have been she's playing Lily and Jeff Daniel Philips is playing Herman. I can't really picture her as Lily but it's not too surprising considering she's in just about everything he does.
    Yes, literally everything!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave-Man View Post
    With a project The Munsters it can be difficult to get that quirky, lovable charm back. It really was a great meld between the cast, the concept, and the production which it might be difficult to recapture, even with a lot of cash to throw around. I mean, I like the original but the past attempts at revival just didn't have "it", that indefinable thing that made the show great. Even though the jokes, and the great costumes, and everything were still there somehow it still didn't work.
    I'm hoping for the best. I loved the Munsters growing up and had always hoped for a movie but yeah, it will be very difficult. I'm praying Rob gets this right.

LOL, I hope it's not!

Heroic Warrior
    Brad Garrett really needs to be Herman.

Casting really has to be the biggest hurdle. The original cast are inextricable from the characters. Those characters were shaped around their faces, their body shape and their personalities.
    My friend told me to stop quoting the Monkees. I thought she was joking. But then I saw her face.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Abell View Post
    Brad Garrett really needs to be Herman.

Casting really has to be the biggest hurdle. The original cast are inextricable from the characters. Those characters were shaped around their faces, their body shape and their personalities.
    I agree with the choice of Brad Garrett, it’s really fitting and his voice fits as well.
    I am not nice, I am not kind, and I am not wonderful.

Heroic Warrior
    Maybe Butch Patrick will be Grandpa! LOL
    "I feel the best when I can't remember anything."