Thread: fan question: who are your 'core five' MOTU team?

fan question: who are your 'core five' MOTU team?

Here's something I'd like to ask the rest of the Masters fanbase (I posted this here, because it relates to the subject of the new netflix reboot. If it goes elsewhere, mods put it there)

As I was watching the trailer for the new Netfilx He-man reboot series, I noticed the new series is following in the modern superhero tradition of a 'core five' superhero team; He-man/Adam, Sorceress/Teela, Man-at-Arms/Duncan, Ram-M'am/Krass, and Battle Cat/Cringer.

I am curious, if any of you were to make your own MOTU reboot, who would you make your 'core five'? I am talking about friends of Adam, his own age, who form the core cast of the show, with everyone else forming the supporting cast. that means Classic Man at arms or Sorceress do not count, they are mentors. These would be classic motu characters, aged down if they are older, who would be part of Adam and Teela's generation, and be his friends/contemporaries who a younger-demographic reboot would focus on.

This would be my team of re-imagined heroic warriors, in a new reboot;

1.) He-man/Prince Adam- leader and main protagonist, who channels the power of grayskull (his identity a secret to all but the sorceress and his core friends- this time not even man-at-arms knows!)

2.) Teela- The sorceress and Man-at Arm's daughter (this time no adoption/mystery/secret Melodrama). Up-and-coming mage, who's trying to live up to her mother's legacy. Clad in the cobra armor with the snake staff. Still a ginger hothead who always argues with Adam.

3.) Clamp Champ- A young tech genius.who is man-at-arms's apprentice. Battles foes with his clamp-shield grasping weapon, and other techno-gear. Adam's 'best bud'.

4.) Slamurai- Martial arts master who fights the Evil warriors with his cadre of weapons (bow, sword, and nunchucks) and his mystical kuji-kiri abilities. A bit more serious than his fellow masters.

5.) Ileena- Teela's athletic childhood friend, who wields a sword in combat (taking on Teela's more martial abilities, kind of taking battleground teela a separate character). A history with addictive substances has led her to study Eternian medicine. Serves as the team's doctor. Dressed in a slightly more armored version of her filmation outfit.

-Orko and Cringer would be a sidekicks, and Duncan and the Sorceress would be mentors. The other masters would be guest stars, who rotated in and out indifferent episodes.

I know most people would say 'just keep the main characters as is!', but even when I was younger I thought it was weird that Teela and Adam were the only two their age in 200X, while everyone else seemed to be from Randor and Duncan's generation. There was no one there for Adam and Teela to be regular friends with, they always just seemed battle allies with the older masters. I think it might help the shows writing if there was a small group of friends for Adam and Teela among the masters and they kind of formed their own little mini-group among the heroic warriors-this might be one of the new Netflix reboot's biggest strengths.

I don't know, what does everyone else think? Who would your 'core team' be?

Last edited by Oldfan87; September 10, 2021 at 11:17pm.

Mine would probably be similar to the CGI show. Sorceress would be an obvious mentor, but I'm unsure if I'd want the male mentor to be Duncan or Dekker. I'd prefer Dekker as I like his look and character, plus it would be cool to see him utilized more than 200X. But I like Sorceress and Duncan as Teela's parents. Maybe in this alternate universe Teela is a kid of Sorceress and Dekker. So that would mean...

1.) He-man/Prince Adam - leader and main protagonist, who channels the power of grayskull without any secret identity at all.

2.) Teela - Up-and-coming mage and amazing fighter, who's trying to live up to her mother and father's legacies. No cobra armor or snake staff unless in a later season she becomes a Sorceress of Serpos like in the DC multiverse books.

3.) Duncan - A young tech genius who is man-at-arms's/Dekker's apprentice. Battles foes with his techno-gear. Adam's other 'best bud' besides Teela.

4.) Zodak - A thousand years old, but still a "teen" in Cosmic Warrior time. He's trying to live up to his older brother's honor and defend this sector well. But he can be prone to fits of anger due to unresolved feelings of his brother's death at the hands of the Snake Men.

5.) Ileena- Some sort of friendly rival to Teela. Raised as sisters, Ileena is a foundling... whose parentage will be discovered down the line to strain, test, and eventually break bonds of friendship.

Although this line up is far too "human" and needs more variety. Maybe switch out Zodak with Buzz-Off?

I agree on Orko and Cringer would be usual sidekicks and other friends made along the journey of episodes.
    Tweeterhead Statue Want List: He-Man 2.0, Battle Cat, Panthor, Tung Lashor, Rattlor, Zodak (200X style), She-Ra 2.0, Sorceress, Buzz Off, Webstor, Kobra Khan, King Hiss, Scare Glow

Fun idea for a thread!

I’d have Adam/He-Man joined by…
    -Teela
    -Clamp Champ
    -Buzz-Off (perhaps in this variation he’s the Prince of Andreenos)
    -Hawke (she could be Stratos’ much younger sister)
    -Odiphus (the friend who would eventually turn on them all after Skeletor and Evil Ly seduced him to evil)

I’d have Cringe and Origins along regularly too, with Duncan, the Sorceress, Fisto, Randor, Marlena, Ram Man, and Stratos s the old guard/mentor types. Along the way, they meet new friends such as Sy-Klone, Snout Spout, Extendar, Rokkon, and more, while encountering old legends like Moss Man and the gunslinger Rio Blast.
    MOTU Origins Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Anti-Eternia Characters, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy
    Hermione's Toy Box on Youtube (GIVEAWAY in Progress!): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8C...xlwUttPSJAUZMA

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    Fun idea for a thread!

I’d have Adam/He-Man joined by…
    -Teela
    -Clamp Champ
    -Buzz-Off (perhaps in this variation he’s the Prince of Andreenos)
    -Hawke (she could be Stratos’ much younger sister)
    -Odiphus (the friend who would eventually turn on them all after Skeletor and Evil Ly seduced him to evil)

I’d have Cringe and Origins along regularly too, with Duncan, the Sorceress, Fisto, Randor, Marlena, Ram Man, and Stratos s the old guard/mentor types. Along the way, they meet new friends such as Sy-Klone, Snout Spout, Extendar, Rokkon, and more, while encountering old legends like Moss Man and the gunslinger Rio Blast.
    This is pretty cool! Nice to see someone else who appreciates Buzz-Off... and the Prince part would be a good plot point.
    Nice thinking with Hawke.
    Odiphus would be fun!
    Tweeterhead Statue Want List: He-Man 2.0, Battle Cat, Panthor, Tung Lashor, Rattlor, Zodak (200X style), She-Ra 2.0, Sorceress, Buzz Off, Webstor, Kobra Khan, King Hiss, Scare Glow

Heroic Warrior

Nope!

I'm honestly surprised this hasn't been asked been before. If it has it's been a while.

It's a question I've thought about myself but only in brief passing.

I don't have a "core". Never really given it any thought. Never saw a need. Don't plan on giving it any thought.

I'm also "scared" to do so. I'm afraid if I do I'll ruin He-Man for me.

I can understand the "how's" and "why's" to one's core. Or wanting to have one.

Those are all some excellent choices! I never thought about Hawke as a member- gives a good connection for stratos to the 'team'! I hadn't thought of Buzz-off as a young prince, his anger and pride would bring a good dynamic to the team! Odiphus as a traitor interesting, too. Makes the change to Stinkor all the more tragic. And Dekker replacing Duncan as Randor's royal tech/Teela's adoptive father is an excellent idea if you want a younger Duncan. If you want a younger falcon-temed Sorceress, the Green Goddess will fill in nicely as Teela's mother/guardian of Grayskull

Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post
    I'm honestly surprised this hasn't been asked been before. If it has it's been a while.

It's a question I've thought about myself but only in brief passing.

I don't have a "core". Never really given it any thought. Never saw a need. Don't plan on giving it any thought.

I'm also "scared" to do so. I'm afraid if I do I'll ruin He-Man for me.

I can understand the "how's" and "why's" to one's core. Or wanting to have one.
    Why would it ruin MOTU for you? a core cast doesn't make the other characters less special, just has them fill out different roles.

Cool thread,

1 He man -duh no secret ID either
    2 Teela - next sorceress and all that
    3. Mekkaneck- my version of a teleporter( see my thread )
    4. Moss Man reborn ala Groot so younger he's only 420 years old here
    5. Ram man except still gender swapped for the sake of the show but based off my character thread version of Ram Man

OR OR 5. Granita lost child of alien race looking to fit in on a completely strange world.

Main Supporting cast

MAA
    Sorceress- these two for what everyone already suspects
    Queen Marlena - Randor is Dead ( secret plot line to be hinted at )
    Battle Cat -duh! Every episode just not part of the big 5

Throw in some Zodac and were golden...
    Last edited by smanomega; September 11, 2021 at 01:18pm. Reason: Oh yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by smanomega View Post
    Cool thread,

1 He man -duh no secret ID either
    2 Teela - next sorceress and all that
    3. Mekkaneck- my version of a teleporter( see my thread )
    4. Moss Man reborn ala Groot so younger he's only 420 years old here
    5. Ram man except still gender swapped for the sake of the show but based off my character thread version of Ram Man

OR OR 5. Granita lost child of alien race looking to fit in on a completely strange world.

Main Supporting cast

MAA
    Sorceress- these two for what everyone already suspects
    Queen Marlena - Randor is Dead ( secret plot line to be hinted at )
    Battle Cat -duh! Every episode just not part of the big 5

Throw in some Zodac and were golden...
    Ooh! I like the idea of Granita being lost! I hadn’t thought of her, but I was thinking that, after introducing the Rock Oriole, Rokkon would be a new friend for the younger group.
    MOTU Origins Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Anti-Eternia Characters, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy
    Hermione's Toy Box on Youtube (GIVEAWAY in Progress!): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8C...xlwUttPSJAUZMA

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfan87 View Post
    And Dekker replacing Duncan as Randor's royal tech/Teela's adoptive father is an excellent idea if you want a younger Duncan. If you want a younger falcon-temed Sorceress, the Green Goddess will fill in nicely as Teela's mother/guardian of Grayskull
    Ooooh, Green Goddess could fit that mother/mentor role opposite Dekker! Could also help tie in the Snake Men past storyline and hint towards upcoming stuff. And that would leave Teela to pick up the Zoar/falcon in her Sorceress evolution.

Very nice thinking!

Oh this is an easy one for me:

Sy-Klone
    Mekaneck
    Rokkon
    Zodac
    Man-E-Faces
    Clearing out Classics, Super7 and vintage MOTU & PoP figures... check out my threads in the Marketplace for Fisto, Sorceress, BA variants, SDCC exclusives and more!

Alright, I'm going with a "Suicide Squad" direction for my answer...based only on the available emoticons (motu-cons) available.

My team will be:

I won't be taking any questions...

Quote Originally Posted by ersatz.kate View Post
    Alright, I'm going with a "Suicide Squad" direction for my answer...based only on the available emoticons (motu-cons) available.

My team will be:

I won't be taking any questions...
    While it's cool to see different types of teams the original intent of the post was to create a team for the new Netflix kids CGI show so not having He man . Suicide Squad for young kids let's pitch that one to the network

1. He-man/Prince Adam
    2. Stratos - the speed of the team. Also the fun guy or heart of the team
    3. Extendar - versatility of the team. You can do so much with his abilities. Wise-cracker of the group but secretly hates what he's become.
    4. Moss Man - The wisdom of the team. I also like the idea of him in a techno world where his powers are limited
    5. Last spot could be filled by either Ram-man, Man-e-Faces, or Fisto. They would serve as the "tank" or toughness of the team.
    a. Ram-man would be a little more dim-witted but also very strong
    b. Man-e-Faces would change personalities/physical abilities/overall appearance based on his "face".
    c. Fisto would just be strong, tough, and a bit of a hot head.

Supporting:
    Man-at-Arms - much older but helps by developing weapons and transportation. Sends out a hulking Roboto in tight situations but Roboto's power sources are limited.
    Teela - worries about Adam
    Plenty of others if I thought about it.

I'm assuming we get a free Cringer/Battle cat?
    "A fool always finds a greater fool to admire him."

For an early team , I'd keep the core of
    teela ( best friend)
    Duncan ( father figure and mentor )
    Adam
    clamp champ ( same age as Adam and teela) I'd replace stratos with hawke( maybe slightly older than teela , Adam and clampy but only by a year or two ) though and give stratos a more " randor" role in the background. Battlecat wouldn't speak but Adam would talk to him and understand him .

Sent from my AGS2-L09 using Tapatalk

Heroic Warrior
    He-man, Man-At-Arms, Teela, Orko, Stratos

Skeletor, Lyn, Beastman, Triklops, Merman… Trap Jaw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He-Man, Man-at-Arms, Teela, Stratos.

My fifth spot would rotate between Man-E-Faces, Mekaneck, and Ram-Man/Ram-Ma'am.

I'd keep the origins similar to the Filmation show.

1. He-Man
    2. Teela (back to her red-haired self).
    3. Clamp Champ (mentored by Man-At-Arms).
    4. Stratos (always helpful to have a flyer in the group to help get out of tight spots).
    5. Ram Man (back to himself, but not super dumb). I could go with a few different characters in this fifth slot like Fisto or Moss Man, though.

Those 5 could all be around the same age.

Man-At-Arms and Sorceress would be in the mentoring roles. Orko and Cringer/Battlecat as the side kicks.

Quote Originally Posted by smanomega View Post
    While it's cool to see different types of teams the original intent of the post was to create a team for the new Netflix kids CGI show so not having He man . Suicide Squad for young kids let's pitch that one to the network

They would LOVE it! You could have back stories as to how they ended up as "bad guys"...all the same relationship and growing up stuff would still be there...the character growth and development.

I stand by my answer.

Heroic Warrior
    For me, it's:
    He-Man/Adam
    Man-At-Arms
    Teela
    Stratos
    Ram-Man

Core:

He-Man / Prince Adam
    Teela
    Man-at-Arms