Thread: Question on weak knees

Widget

Question on weak knees

Hey folks!

I just got an Origins Ninjor off the shelf, and as soon as I opened it I found out that his knees are SUPER weak. No grip to the joint at all. It's a fresh-out-of-the-package figure so this is a bummer -- do any of you have tips on how I can help make him stand up in a more stable way? Dude keeps knocking over the other figs in my display case! >_<

Quote Originally Posted by BradGallaway View Post
    Hey folks!

I just got an Origins Ninjor off the shelf, and as soon as I opened it I found out that his knees are SUPER weak. No grip to the joint at all. It's a fresh-out-of-the-package figure so this is a bummer -- do any of you have tips on how I can help make him stand up in a more stable way? Dude keeps knocking over the other figs in my display case! >_
    Maybe get one of those clear rubber bands that holds the figure in the blister, and sort of tie it off under the joint, so it's hidden under the knee flap? Not sure if that would work, but I've done that with loose MOTU Classics ankles.

Widget
    Solid idea, thanks! Pretty sure the wife has something similar she uses for her hair... Will give it a shot! = )

Iíve put the joint in near boiling water for 20-30 seconds and then used a pair of pliers to squeeze either side of the loose the joint together and then run it under cold water still squeezing to ďsetĒ it in its new position. Works pretty well.

Heroic Warrior
    I used Pledge Future acrylic floor polish in the ankle joints of my Classics Trap Jaw some 10 + years ago. I used a syringe to shoot it in the joints so not to make a mess, then let it dry.

Widget
    Wow, i wouldn't have thought of those ideas. This is good stuff! ^_^

Mine was the same, weak knees, loose waist. I tried Pledge floor polish first, after three applications it made no difference. Then I cleaned out all the pledge, let it completely dry, and used a dab of super glue and just worked the joint. Now it's tighter, not great, but workable for me at least.
    I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it.
    - Groucho Marx

Widget
    interesting. so where did you dab the joint? I'd worry that I'd put too much and just lock it down permanently...

The idea with glue (or Iíve used clear nail polish as well) is you put it in the joint and then keep moving the joint back and forward so it coats the whole joint. Keep doing it until it dries, if you stop moving obviously it will lock the joint in place and you are screwed.

The idea is the glue will effectively make a thin layer on top of the joint and thus make it a little bigger and give the other side of the joint something to grip against.

Widget
    ahhhhhh okay. that is pretty brilliant, actually. never heard of that technique before! thanks!!

Widget
    My Origins vintage head He-Man has loose joints out of the package too. Good ideas. Gonna see which one I'll try.

Quote Originally Posted by ProteinNerd View Post
    The idea with glue (or I’ve used clear nail polish as well) is you put it in the joint and then keep moving the joint back and forward so it coats the whole joint. Keep doing it until it dries, if you stop moving obviously it will lock the joint in place and you are screwed.

The idea is the glue will effectively make a thin layer on top of the joint and thus make it a little bigger and give the other side of the joint something to grip against.
    Yeah, exactly. I've been doing this with Transformers for years. I wiggle it in the joint for about 30 seconds. Let it sit a few seconds, then wiggle it again. I've found that sometimes if you don't let it sit for a few seconds between movements to cure a little, the glue doesn't do it's job, but this takes perfect timing and practice. It depends on the type of plastic as well, some plastics the super glue trick doesn't work but floor polish works fantastic, and vice-a-versa.

@BradGallaway, there is a risk with superglue, and I suggest practicing on a dollar store figure first if you've never done it. I also suggest looking for a brush on super glue or something with a precision tip.

Also if a peg joint (like a hand or the pegs that connect the lower and upper arms/legs) is loose, I heat up the figure, pop out the joint, and put 1-2 layers of super glue on the peg itself (being careful not to let it get into anything with moving parts). Let it dry for an hour or two, then heat the hole up and put the piece back in, test it to see if it's working or if you need another layer, and then let it sit for a day.

All my Masterverse figures have had loose hand pegs, so I've done this with all four of the wave 1 figures. My Origins Hordak's boot swivels were extremely loose, and it took 3 layers of super glue before they tightened. Just make sure the glue on the peg is completely dry before putting it back. And I wouldn't put glue in the actual hole, just on the peg (this is where brush on glue is great).
    I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it.
    - Groucho Marx