Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: PowerCon Reveals

Reveal review!

Origins

Buzz-Off - Looks fine. No surprises. In keeping with the Origins theme, these figures are just the vintage figures with improved articulation.

Jitsu - Like Buzz Off, looks like an exact copy of his vintage figure. I am pleasantly surprised however by the inclusion of vac metal for his hand.

FF He-Man & TC Skeletor - Again, very vintage accurate. Also, loving the vac metal on the armour, which is a nice comeback from the duller Classics versions of these guys. I'm not sure why Scott insisted they couldn't use it for that line. Also, is there any particular reason why they skipped the Thunder Punch He-Man and Dragon Blaster Skeletor variants?

Trap Jaw - Nice to see his vintage mini-comic appearance make it into the line. The Classics one is highly sought after and very difficult and expensive to get. I hope they make some changes before he's released though - his whole robotic arm needs to be silver, not with mixed in black parts. Why did they do that? Also, his left arm needs to be a normal human arm, not the one with cybernetic parts. That's inaccurate.

Stratos - Disappointing. A 100% repaint of the regular version is wrong. In the vintage mini comic he had the toe feet, and a red wreath of feathers around his neck. He did not have the backpack at all, so why is the figure wearing one. This is just half-assed. Fix it Mattel.

Anti-Eternia He-Man - I actually don't mind that his boots and loincloth are red on this version. It was never stated exactly which parts were red in the vintage German audio tape, so this take on the character is a bit different. A few more red parts also break up the monotony of the nearly all black look that the Classics version of this guy had, which I wasn't that fond of.

Stridor - Looks great, and with actual articulation this one blows the vintage one away. Probably the winner of the reveals.

Sorceress - Looks oddly cheap, but it's good to get her classic colour scheme. I feel they could have done better with her.

Kol-Darr - Precedent setting for Origins. As the first Filmation-created character to appear in Origins, we now have proof that Mattel still has the license to produce figures from the cartoon, which was not confirmed earlier. He's an odd choice to start with though, as he's very obscure and I don't recall much fan demand to get him, even in Classics. I'm certainly hopeful that they'll give us many more Filmation-unique characters now.

Tri-Klops - I've been vocal in the Origins Tri-Klops thread about this, one of my most wanted MOTU variants ever. It's bittersweet, because while I'm glad that they finally got around to making his first vintage mini comic appearance after nearly 40 years, but they got the colour of his tunic wrong. Ugh. Why??

Masterverse

New Eternia - He-Man & Skeletor - Interesting that they're planning to explore the early MOTU concepts. I'm not sold on the Masterverse buck though. Some weird proportions going on in this line, especially next to the perfection of Classics.

Fisto - Looks ok. Head has a nice sculpt but is too small for the body. Armour is lacking detail, looking oddly Filmation-esque.

Andra - Don't really care for this character. Looks too Star Warsy.

Stinkor - Pretty good. Why is his head so much bigger than everyone else though? At least it fits the buck better...

Trap-Jaw & Tri-Klops - Look exactly like they do in the show. I'm glad Mattel recognizes the importance of matching toy and media appearances of characters now. That was a huge issue in previous MOTU lines. I love that you can display them in either their classic looks or their Techno-cult looks!

Scare Glow - He's ok I guess? I can't tell him apart from the online exclusive version.

Mer-Man - Kinda lame. Looks too basic without his armour. Why didn't he get the deluxe treatment like some of the others? Also, what's with his buck? The arms in particular look too skinny. MOTU figures need to be extra jacked.

King Grayskull - Great looking figure. Normally I don't particularly care for race swapping established characters, but in this guy's case I actually prefer this look - it makes him more distinctive. I actually thought the 200x and Classics versions were lame becase they were way too similar to He-Man himself. I hope the black version of KG becomes the standard going forward.

Opiate of the Masses anytimepally's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    Can you recommend a good source of information about rules for this?
    Although not extensive, this article goes into a few of the categories of online sales and whether or not they are reportable: https://www.findlaw.com/tax/federal-...o-the-irs.html (this is federal only - states will have different rules both from the federal rules and from one another and many do not have income taxes at all). The IRS website may have some information as well.

Obviously, this will be a lot trickier once the $600 threshold comes and you have to possibly justify your tax filing to the IRS. Ebay is currently lobbying to get it raised or the requirements changed. Maybe they will be successful, maybe not. I suspect they are going to push pretty hard because this will have a significant impact on their bottom line - especially with occasional sellers that don't want the hassle of keeping extensive records (and who can blame them?).

The biggest issue, I think, is going to be the people who've been running online businesses for years making just under the current $20K threshold, especially if they're just under at several sites ($15K on ebay, $17K on etsy, $5K on zazzle etc.) (or maybe over at one but under at others and not reporting for those others) and whether, once the IRS knows how much money they're making in total, they will then go back into past years and try to reclaim those unpaid taxes. That could get ugly quickly. Of course, people making that kind of money should have been reporting all along.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    Trap Jaw - Nice to see his vintage mini-comic appearance make it into the line. The Classics one is highly sought after and very difficult and expensive to get. I hope they make some changes before he's released though - his whole robotic arm needs to be silver, not with mixed in black parts. Why did they do that? Also, his left arm needs to be a normal human arm, not the one with cybernetic parts. That's inaccurate.

Stratos - Disappointing. A 100% repaint of the regular version is wrong. In the vintage mini comic he had the toe feet, and a red wreath of feathers around his neck. He did not have the backpack at all, so why is the figure wearing one. This is just half-assed. Fix it Mattel.
    Based on the mini-comic Tri-Klops, my guess they are not going to fix these issues, unfortunately.
    The Trap Jaw arm is especially frustrating. And Mega just did one with a full silver arm.

Still nice to get them in the line.
    Last edited by anytimepally; September 15, 2021 at 04:59pm.

Kol-Darr - Precedent setting for Origins. As the first Filmation-created character to appear in Origins, we now have proof that Mattel still has the license to produce figures from the cartoon, which was not confirmed earlier. He's an odd choice to start with though, as he's very obscure and I don't recall much fan demand to get him, even in Classics. I'm certainly hopeful that they'll give us many more Filmation-unique characters now.
    Technically Orko was a Filmation created character but I see your point. Kol-Darr is the first Filmation character to appear who didn't previously have a toy in the vintage line.

I wonder how many people will buy two of him to emulate the episode he appeared in, lol.

Kol Darr's armor, waist, and boots look to be unique new molds, but are also generic enough that I'd assume repainting them gives them the ability to offer more characters unique characters. Even the head -- with different plastic/coloring they can probably get a reuse out of that one.

The design of a lot of original Filmation characters would need far more new pieces that might not lend themselves to re-use as easily.

I suspect we might see Shokoti as Mattel recently renewed the copyright and she would provide a very neutral female torso and boots that could be reused for Adora.

Quote Originally Posted by headache79 View Post
    Kol Darr's armor, waist, and boots look to be unique new molds, but are also generic enough that I'd assume repainting them gives them the ability to offer more characters unique characters. Even the head -- with different plastic/coloring they can probably get a reuse out of that one.

The design of a lot of original Filmation characters would need far more new pieces that might not lend themselves to re-use as easily.

I suspect we might see Shokoti as Mattel recently renewed the copyright and she would provide a very neutral female torso and boots that could be reused for Adora.
    It's also a great opportunity to re-do a lot of the females without the notoriously awful "granny panties" that plagued Classics...

Court Magician
    Trap-Jaw & Tri-Klops - Look exactly like they do in the show. I'm glad Mattel recognizes the importance of matching toy and media appearances of characters now. That was a huge issue in previous MOTU lines. I love that you can display them in either their classic looks or their Techno-cult looks!

Mer-Man - Kinda lame. Looks too basic without his armour. Why didn't he get the deluxe treatment like some of the others? Also, what's with his buck? The arms in particular look too skinny. MOTU figures need to be extra jacked.
    I found it a bit interesting that you mentioned "matching toy and media appearances of characters", then questioned why Mer-Man's arms looked skinny, because in the show he was quite a bit thinner than most other characters.

Fun little write-up though, thanks for sharing!

Widget
    What year was the very first Power con ? My Google-fu is failing me. Just curious and I couldnít find the answer.

I'll admit. I was more blown away with Masterverse, especially Revelation figures more than the Origins figures. Glad Mattel realized how important Classic look of Teela was & went ahead revealing her. However, I think it will slightly backfire as not many are going to get the head shaved version now. I only see hardcore Revelation fans & "all-in" fans are going to get it. Anyways.. now bring it on the classic looking versions of Evil-Lyn, Beast Man & also Sorceress. Maybe even Randor & Merlena as well. I am all excited for more Revelation figures.

I'll definitely pass Andra (Not MOTU looking chick) & New Eternia figures. They were termed as "concepts" for a reason & not a fan of these looks.

As for Origins, I am kinda 50-50. Underwhelmed with Sorceress & TC Skeletor. Buzz-Off & FF He-Man were probably my favourites.

Speaking of TC Skeletor, I am bummed that he's not getting overlay armour over his torso than the sculpted armour on torso. Does the vintage figure too has the sculpted bikini armor ? Pardon for my ignorance. Never had a chance to own the vintage figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Fanbase0000 View Post
    What year was the very first Power con ? My Google-fu is failing me. Just curious and I couldnít find the answer.
    I think it was 2011.

Court Magician
    Reveal review!

Origins

FF He-Man & TC Skeletor - Again, very vintage accurate. Also, loving the vac metal on the armour, which is a nice comeback from the duller Classics versions of these guys. I'm not sure why Scott insisted they couldn't use it for that line. Also, is there any particular reason why they skipped the Thunder Punch He-Man and Dragon Blaster Skeletor variants?
    Not too sure myself, I was surprised they skipped ahead. Though it may have to do with the gimmicks (especially Thunder Punch He-man's since the vintage used cap gun caps to make the popping sound and in today's standard that would be against safety regulations, unless Mattel makes it an electronic gimmick which is what I would suggest. As for Dragon Blaster Skeletor his gimmick would be easier to pull off since it's a water squirting gimmick (not to mention we don't have Kobra Khan yet nor Snout Spout in Origins) but they should be able to recreate that kind of gimmick easily.

I love how Mattel's 15-20$ figures will have vac metal (Jitsu, Flying fist he-man etc) and yet Super7's 50$ figures (TMNT metalhead) uses all kinds of excuses not to implement vac metal.
    As much as I like Super7 figures, they're overpriced for the actual quality of the figure. My merman chips paint just by placing his staff in his hand, my Bebop became loose just by standing on the shelf.

There is an Evil Horde set on BBTS. Scroll down to it and click on it (says sold out) but if you open it it’s available

edit: it is now gone, hope someone got it
    Last edited by DadStrong; September 16, 2021 at 11:45am.
    Instagram: dadhausen

Quote Originally Posted by 0RK0 View Post
    I love how Mattel's 15-20$ figures will have vac metal (Jitsu, Flying fist he-man etc) and yet Super7's 50$ figures (TMNT metalhead) uses all kinds of excuses not to implement vac metal.
    As much as I like Super7 figures, they're overpriced for the actual quality of the figure. My merman chips paint just by placing his staff in his hand, my Bebop became loose just by standing on the shelf.
    Exactly why I cancelled all of my Super7 preorders.

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by headache79 View Post

Can you share a screenshot of Kol Darr? I haven't seen it and can't seem to find it.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by wehrmanm View Post
    Can you share a screenshot of Kol Darr? I haven't seen it and can't seem to find it.
    https://i.toynewsi.com/g/generated/2...scaled_800.jpg

Bottom center of pic.

I’m not sure there yet exist a high quality pic.

Heroic Warrior
    Loved all the Masterverse reveals. As a hardcore Classics fan, it's good to have something in MOTUC scale (kinda) to fill the void a little. Plus, it looks like the quality is improving with these, at least to my eye.

As far as Origins go, Jitsu and Buzz Off looked how they should do (mostly) and the rest were a little 'bleh' to me. Stridor was the show stopper for Origins reveals, IMHO.

So yeah, buying all the Masterverse and I'm quitting Origins with Jitsu.
    Wanted in MOTUC: 1) Masks of Power Demons 2) Mini-Comics Tri-Klops 3) Hoove 4) Vintage Attack Trak 5) Leech (Club Grayskull)
    Like Shock Rock? Check out my band: www.reverbnation.com/massrejection

Seeing a lot of folks saying they got a shipping notice for Tri-Klops, but the only thing I have is a mysterious label from Mattel in my FedEx app thatís been sitting there since Tuesday. Anyone else still waiting?

Quote Originally Posted by Man-Man View Post
    Seeing a lot of folks saying they got a shipping notice for Tri-Klops, but the only thing I have is a mysterious label from Mattel in my FedEx app thatís been sitting there since Tuesday. Anyone else still waiting?
    same here, mine hasn't updated yet either.
    Instagram: dadhausen

Mine hasnít moved either. Stuck in label created screen
    "There's no back door to heaven just a front door to hell" - DIO RIP

Same for me.

Payment status says paid but fulfillment status says unfulfilled.

Should I be worried?

Quote Originally Posted by BushLady View Post
    Payment status says paid but fulfillment status says unfulfilled.

Should I be worried?
    Where does it show that?
    "There's no back door to heaven just a front door to hell" - DIO RIP

Yup I got a shipping notice from Mattel Creations 2 days ago, but when I check the tracking number with FedEx it just says "label created" with no movement whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Brasco View Post
    Where does it show that?
    There is a little profile button on the top right of the Mattel Creations website. When I hover my mouse over it there is a drop down for order history. I see my orders (old and new) but my orders from the 13th show paid but unfulfilled.

I bought the Grayskull set and Tri-Klops. My order history shows payment as"paid" and fulfillment as "partial".