Thread: 20 years later; remembering 9.11.2001

20 years later; remembering 9.11.2001

As many of us know, the world changed on September 11th, 2001.

It is hard to believe that the horrific events of that day happened twenty years ago...

Many of the effects of 9/11 are still felt today, especially for those who had friends and family living in New York at the time... but, even for every person who has ever boarded a plane since that day, the reminders are all around us.

I remember the morning of 9/11/01... I had just returned from traveling in Europe after graduating, and I was seeking my Bachelor's of science in education. I was attending college and working a full-time job and had just wrapped up some paperwork when I realized that all of the employees in the store were glued to a small television in the break room. It took a few moments for the news to really sink in, but eventually, the horror was realized and people began to cry, hang their heads and make desperate phone calls to loved ones.

We closed early that day, and after getting home to my then new apartment, I remember feeling overwhelmed with fright, confusion, anger and sadness. I didn't sleep all night, and stayed tuned-in to every news station available.

The world certainly did change. I sometimes have to remind myself of the most important things in life - the priorities, and this is one event that always feels like a splash of cold water in the face.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

Ironically enough, I learned what had happened here on the .org. I had the day off so I rose around 11 am PT and logged on. All I saw were posts about what had taken place in New York and I was confused. So I turned on the TV and saw all the awful images. I spent that afternoon at the nearby hospital waiting to donate blood for survivors who never came.
    Formerly known as Granamyr on the Forum.

Author of Helen's Daughter, Knossos, Danae, and The Orestes Trilogy.

I live on the other side of the world, but remember watching the images on the news in disbelief. It was hard to take in, and I was both sad and angry.

Years later, I read this story of a guide dog leading some people out of one of the towers on that day - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9659034-thunder-dog

I overheard others talking about it and had no clue what they were talking about but I got home saw it on tv on all channels.
    Starchild's #1 fan!!

Heroic Warrior
    I was working as a TA at a school in the UK and was in the library and we had TVs in part of the building with news channels on. I just remember the librarian calling me over and showing me the news. It was just surreal.

Heroic Warrior
    Found out from my dad on the way back home from college

I received text from my parents, they were doing Umrah while the attack occurred in New York City. Me and my immediate family and relative were in complete shock while that was happen. also we were celebrating my sister's birthday 2 hours before we received the news. My uncle told us that our lives will changed after this and he's right. The most painful things I watched was how things will never be the same when the clock reaches noon. Horrible horrible tragedy.

Playing a three-hour Rush show is like running a marathon while solving equations.

It was a fine early fall day in Kansas City. I woke up, showered, and went to work as normal. I was nervous and excited because I had a job interview that day. I was, at the time, a contractor working as an operator on the corporate switchboard of a large communications firm. I remember going about my day as normal. This was quite a busy position as we had people from all over the country calling up and demanding to talk to (ie. yell at) the CEO about their phone bill. Yes, this is apparently a thing. So we transferred a lot of them to customer service, an "executive" customer service team if they were really irate, and they could leave a message for the CEO's office if they actually needed someone from there.

Anyhow, this phone never stopped ringing. Ever. Until that day. It went absolutely dead about the time the first plane hit. Because we had been logged in and working we did not know what was going on. We thought maybe there was some kind of phone outage, when our manager walked into the production floor looking shell shocked and asked the AV tech to set up a TV. They did and the images I saw were like hell on earth. When the second plane hit, I knew it was a lot worse than I thought. When the Pentagon got hit, I knew this was some serious jelly. If I'd never believed in Hell before that day, I would have after because I had seen it.

For two hours straight, we just sat there, glued to the TV, not sure what to do. Then the calls started coming, people trying to get to their loved ones that worked for the company in New York. Luckily, no one that worked for that company got hurt or killed, but the circuits were down and all we could do was advise people to keep trying. And I never got that job, the hiring freeze went into effect immediately as the company tried to sort out the economic impact of the event.

Fast forward twenty years, and I am watching the memorial on TV. One of the names was read, and my wife said "Oh my God, I knew him." I'm sure there were probably some familiar names from the Pentagon as well as she used to distribute orders for Marines from the Reserve Support Command. Hard to believe how many miles we've come since that day - sometimes it seems like yesterday. It was surreal to realize there were kids who had grown up that had never known a world where 9-11 wasn't a thing. And of course we felt for all the families who had lost someone on that day.
    Last edited by Dave-Man; September 13, 2021 at 10:13am.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"All you have is your fire, and the place you need to reach
    Don't you ever tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash"
    - Hozier, "Arsonist's Lullabye"

Eternian Metal Head Skeletor-81's Avatar
    I was working a night job at the time and had just got home from work early that morning. I turned on the news because at the time I was convinced Bush was going to get us in a war with China so I was watching the news every morning at that time. I saw it all unfold and experienced all of those same feelings. The worst was flight 93 because we live so close to the area. I remember my mom calling me crying because she was so scared. It was so awful...
    "I have great faith in fools, self-confidence my friends call it." -Edgar Allen Poe

That day opened my eyes to things that would never hit me as hard as they did then. I won't go into personal details just because what happened to me that day was insignificant in comparison. But that day taught me:

1. Certain people truly believe because of title, wealth, or status, other people are beneath them.
    2. There are very ignorant people among us that don't care about anything beyond themselves. The rest of the world can burn as long as it doesn't get in their way.
    3. Many, many people have a very unrealistic view of the world and how people live outside of the United States.
    "A fool always finds a greater fool to admire him."

Eternian Metal Head Skeletor-81's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    That day opened my eyes to things that would never hit me as hard as they did then. I won't go into personal details just because what happened to me that day was insignificant in comparison. But that day taught me:

1. Certain people truly believe because of title, wealth, or status, other people are beneath them.
    2. There are very ignorant people among us that don't care about anything beyond themselves. The rest of the world can burn as long as it doesn't get in their way.
    3. Many, many people have a very unrealistic view of the world and how people live outside of the United States.
    Man that's terrible! Out of all the sadness and horror, I felt that the one good thing was that it actually brought people closer together, although that was very short lived.
    "I have great faith in fools, self-confidence my friends call it." -Edgar Allen Poe

Master of New Adventures!
    Kim and I were living on the top floor of a building in Kansas City in that year. Kim was leaving to fly to Texas on business that morning. Half an hour after she left the assault on America began. She came back into our home and looked at me, silent. I said, "The world has changed." Indeed, it had...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-BNO1jNnFY

It was the worst of times, it was, difficult as it is to grasp, the best of times. Our hearts broke, but we came together. It's time for us to remember that. We have been through so much as a nation since then, divided. I pray my strongest prayer that as my days rapidly dwindle I will live to see us come together once more, realizing and celebrating that while we are Black, White, Red, Yellow, straight, LGBTQ, believers and non-believers, we are united and forged in adamantine strength as a people who cherish freedom.

That, I believe, is the legacy of 9/11. In the heart of darkness, it was a blinding light that eventually shone. I pray we can embrace it once more and remember that America is truly "a shining city upon a hill." If we can do that, if we can pay homage to all who died, then they will not have died in vain.

With far fewer days ahead of me than are behind me, I love all of your for support my positions, for opposing my positions, sometimes making me stop and think and change my position. On this anniversary, let's never forget the strength that binds our democracy.

Let us always have the passion to disagree but also always the courage to support those who disagree with us. That, in the final analysis, is the difference between those who assaulted us and our belief systems. I've posted it before, but I'll do it one last time:

"America isn't easy. America is advanced citizenship. You've gotta want it bad, 'cause it's gonna put up a fight. It's gonna say, "You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, who's standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours." You want to claim this land as the land of the free? Then the symbol of your country cannot just be a flag. The symbol also has to be one of its citizens exercising his right to burn that flag in protest. Now show me that, defend that, celebrate that in your classrooms."

President Andrew Shepherd, THE AMERICAN PRESIDENT

God bless us all.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; September 14, 2021 at 01:09am.

I don't know why I have felt compelled to suddenly start devouring content about the fall of the Twin Towers. It's very difficult, especially books like Who Owns the Dead, City in the Sky, and 102 Minutes; I can only take a few pages at a time of that last title. Something about this year has touched a nerve. I don't feel able to discuss it with my loved ones; my mother is very pragmatic and doesn't see the point in dwelling on it.

I was at home and asleep when the attacks happened. I live on the West Coast, so by the time I woke up and came here to the Forum (I learned about the attacks on this very message board because there was no Facebook or Twitter back then), it was already 2 pm on the East Coast. Maybe I feel guilty that while I was sleeping in bed nearly 2,800 people died horribly.
    Formerly known as Granamyr on the Forum.

Author of Helen's Daughter, Knossos, Danae, and The Orestes Trilogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Laura Gill View Post
    I don't know why I have felt compelled to suddenly start devouring content about the fall of the Twin Towers. It's very difficult, especially books like Who Owns the Dead, City in the Sky, and 102 Minutes; I can only take a few pages at a time of that last title. Something about this year has touched a nerve. I don't feel able to discuss it with my loved ones; my mother is very pragmatic and doesn't see the point in dwelling on it.

I was at home and asleep when the attacks happened. I live on the West Coast, so by the time I woke up and came here to the Forum (I learned about the attacks on this very message board because there was no Facebook or Twitter back then), it was already 2 pm on the East Coast. Maybe I feel guilty that while I was sleeping in bed nearly 2,800 people died horribly.
    I still couldn't believe I saw more than 3 thousand people died in front of my eyes on the television. it just something that shouldn't happen but you can't help it.

Playing a three-hour Rush show is like running a marathon while solving equations.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Fendi View Post
    I still couldn't believe I saw more than 3 thousand people died in front of my eyes on the television. it just something that shouldn't happen but you can't help it.
    I didn't have Cable at the time, and by the time I did it was considered in poor taste to keep showing it over and over again.... so to this day, I still haven't watched the footage. For pretty much that reason. I just can't stand the idea of watching the footage of people actually dying...