Thread: Old article, but a goody

Old article, but a goody

Masters of the Universe Turns 30: Tales from the Set of the He-Man Movie

https://ew.com/movies/masters-of-the...-he-man-movie/
    Thinking back now, I really like this more more than I did when I was a kid in the 80's. This movie deserves a lot more love.

I always loved the movie. I sincerely don't think it had anything to do with me being a dumb kid who didn't know any better, because my Dad loved it too.

It wasn't the He-Man from the cartoons I watched every day, but I didn't care. I'm pretty sure that in my 5-year old mind I just figured it was like, 5 Years Later from when the events of the cartoons took place, or something like that, and thus why it was so different. I recognized that it was different, I just really, REALLY didn't care.

I try and watch it at least once a year, oftentimes more though. Like so many things MOTU, I "understand" the hate for it but I think it's incredibly silly. I think it's one of the best fantasy/action films of the '80s, warts and all.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Eternian Metal Head Skeletor-81's Avatar
    I always liked the movie in it's own right and feel it was actually really good for it's time. I don't think I ever really associated it with the cartoon like say for instance the Transformers movie because of the fact it was not animated. I always felt like it was supposed to be a different version so I accepted it under it's own merit.
    "I have great faith in fools, self-confidence my friends call it." -Edgar Allen Poe

Ive always unironically loved the movie , the older it gets the more charming it becomes too .a million people have said this before me , but Frank langellas skeletor is an absolute standout

Did anybody ever hear of one of the ideas for a proposed sequel ? ( Not cyborg , a different sequel )I'll try and find the video , Im sure I heard somewhere that skeletor was going to be hiding on earth disguised as a football manager and he man ( not Dolph Lundgren , a different actor ) would have to infiltrate the football team and become like a star player or something .I think they did well to stop after the first one

Sent from my AGS2-L09 using Tapatalk

Yeah.

Canon films was a total joke. People knock on the movie we got but if you know anything at all about Canon films and how they operated, the movie we got was a miracle. Just look at Superman IV the same year, compare the two movies and realize where all of Canon's money went. MOTU might not be a "masterpiece" by most peoples' definition, but it absolutely is compared to its studio brethren. At least it's not Superman IV-levels of "This movie is offensive to all five senses".
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

The 1987 movie is a masterpiece compared to most Canon films. I always wanted a sequel when I was younger, but looking at what the plans were for it over the years, I'm glad they didn't.

I was bitterly disappointed when I saw the movie in theater as an 8 year old. The first 15 minutes, with Skeletor victorious, were awesome, but after that, it quickly became clear that most of the movie would be set on earth, and that instead of seeing the likes of Tri-Klops, Mer-Man, and Trap Jaw, as I'd hoped, I was getting Blade, Saurod, and Karg instead. The one thing I loved about it was Langella's Skeletor. I probably say this anytime I say anything about the movie, but it's astonishing that an actor of his caliber was in this movie, and even if we do finally get some high-quality big-budget MOTU movies in the years to come, I don't think we'll ever get a better Skeletor. My feelings about the movie softened over the years, particularly as I learned about some of the reasons behind certain decisions. When I came across it on TV in the mid to late-90s, I found it pretty enjoyable. I still don't consider it a particularly good MOTU adaptation, but it's a decent movie when judged on its own merits.

Masters of the Universe is quite nostalgic to me. I was in kindergarten by the time the movie was released. When I first watched it on videotape (Now gone) I realized that the characters as well as the storyline differed largely from the cartoon series but thankfully the movie became a box-office hit. The director, Gary Goddard, would later create the Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future TV series.
    Try to reach inside of me, try to drain my energy
    Let me show you just what I'm made of
    Simple curiosity trying to take a bite of me
    Let me show you just what I'm made of now...