Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My buddy says that he would have killed He-man in the first episode of the new 'toon.

My buddy says that he would have killed He-man in the first episode of the new 'toon.

My friend told me that if he were in charge of the new MotU cartoon he would have He-man get killed in the first episode, and he would be replaced by a new He-man.

I told him that "It's been 3 years since the cartoon debuted, and people are still complaining that Cringer/Battle-Cat didn't talk, and you want to kill He-man?"

He said that it would have got people to watch, and besides you can always bring him back in season 2.

Is my friend crazy or what?

crazy I say!

The only way He-Man could have gotten killed in a good way is if the "new" He-Man was Prince Adam. It would have at least afforded an explanation as to why the power of Grayskull was handed over to a prince not even in his prime--especially if the prior He-Man had been cut down unexpectedly.

However, we have no idea if He-Man is a station passed down the same way the Sorceress of Grayskull role is.

The problem with the new series was they didnt do ENOUGH with the Adam/He-Man character. They let him get his butt kicked and focused far too much on side bar characters. Ironic considering the toy case ratios.

I had hoped the MYP He-Man would really focus on He-Man maybe even with internal dialogue similar to The Problem with Power or Fox's 90s Spider-Man series.

Yet still we barely knew Adam or WHY he of all the people on Eternia was chosen for the role of He-Man. His MYP origin story is SO boring. He just gets taken to the castle and handed the sword. It must have taken weeks to come up with that plot!

Sad that She-Ra has such a great backstory while our main man's origin is so dull in comparison.
    Last edited by Blue; September 5, 2005 at 12:37am.
    RIP Andy Conrad.

Sorcerer of Night Lord_Of_Destruction's Avatar
    This is He-Man not Jean Grey!

Besides, technically He-Man didn't even appear in the first episode. Adam transformerd for the first time in "The Begining part 2"
    "How I loathe heroes! Always getting in the way and acting so... so... heroic!"

please check out my fan fics at:

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/399417/

Bang Your Head
    I am so lost by reading these posts...

Warlord of the Elders Dr. Omega's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue
    Yet still we barely knew Adam or WHY he of all the people on Eternia was chosen for the role of He-Man.
    He was a decendant of Grayskull. Keldor was going after the Elders. Randor was injured and past his prime. I guess it is even possible that Adam is a reincarnation of Grayskull, but that gets messy.

I would like to have had it established that there have been others who were granted the power, though..

Dr. Ω

Bang Your Head
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Omega
    He was a decendant of Grayskull. Keldor was going after the Elders. Randor was injured and past his prime. I guess it is even possible that Adam is a reincarnation of Grayskull, but that gets messy.
    Cause he was blonde

I would like to have had it established that there have been others who were granted the power, though..
    Skeletor would have been a good choice. He could have stayed as He-Man full time and there would be less evil ...

The problem with the new series was they didnt do ENOUGH with the Adam/He-Man character... Ironic considering the toy case ratios.

I* actually posted this as a question to Ian Richter at Mattel and he said they decided that the side characters were so interesting they decided to focus on them, he didn't really answer the WHY in my question, but he admitted to it being a conscious decision. Mattel NEVER knew what they were doing with this line. at least not for this century.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

In Stereo Where Available Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Of_Destruction
    Besides, technically He-Man didn't even appear in the first episode. Adam transformerd for the first time in "The Begining part 2"
    I think they are refering to the combined 3 parts together as the "first episode." It did originally air as one long movie.

Dr. Ω
    Well, going with that theory, it would raise a lot of questions. For example, even though he is past his prime, could Randor still theoretically pick up the sword, yell out the words, and transform into He-man or some other He-man/King Greyskull like character? Adam may be the most logical choice to receive the power given his youth, but in a pinch, could Randor or someone else from the blood line use it? And if they could, then could both Adam and Randor (or whoever) be transformed at the same time?

thats the most retarded thing that i have read here in a long time. First how do you kill the most powerfull man in the universe.
    Check out the Masters Of The Galaxy Podcast. And also check out Masters of the Galaxy Facebook page

Follow me on Twitter.... BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

Hey it might have been cool if Keldor had only been able to kill the last He-Man because something special about the havoc staff allowed him to do so. Then his staff would have seen as far more formidable especially to Adam who, even as he discovers his super powers, know the staff could bring him down. He could have ended up destroying the original havoc staff with that power to defeat his fear.
    RIP Andy Conrad.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia
    Well, going with that theory, it would raise a lot of questions. For example, even though he is past his prime, could Randor still theoretically pick up the sword, yell out the words, and transform into He-man or some other He-man/King Greyskull like character? Adam may be the most logical choice to receive the power given his youth, but in a pinch, could Randor or someone else from the blood line use it? And if they could, then could both Adam and Randor (or whoever) be transformed at the same time?
    Nope. the Sword was only to work for someone who had never taken a life. they didn't go into details and they didn't even explain that but all of that had to do with the mystic wall being up and evil not being a factor in eternian life while adam grew up. Remember in the beginning when Adam asked what the point of all the practice was because there wasn't any evil to fight? well him being part of the bloodline and him being innocent had to do with him receiving the sword. It wouldn't work for someone who previously had blood on their hands. <- Dean Stefan stated thins in a Q&A long ago.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah
    Nope. the Sword was only to work for someone who had never taken a life. they didn't go into details and they didn't even explain that but all of that had to do with the mystic wall being up and evil not being a factor in eternian life while adam grew up. Remember in the beginning when Adam asked what the point of all the practice was because there wasn't any evil to fight? well him being part of the bloodline and him being innocent had to do with him receiving the sword. It wouldn't work for someone who previously had blood on their hands. <- Dean Stefan stated thins in a Q&A long ago.
    Um that should have been in the actual show not some commentary only hard core fans will see.

I think this was alluded to in POP most directly when Adora once said "This sword wasnt meant for killing."
    RIP Andy Conrad.

Um that should have been in the actual show not some commentary only hard core fans will see.

I think this was alluded to in POP most directly when Adora once said "This sword wasnt meant for killing."
    I agree it should have been mentioned, SPECIFICALLY. it could have made The Beginning so much more epic too. I loved the MYP show for the most part, but they missed a lot of boats that they shouldn't have missed. Seems to be the story with MOTU 2K

Fear is faith in failure

kickin ass and takin name
    oh yeah...good idea. that would really work well. let's submit the idea to mattel.

Heroic Warrior
    The hard core fans would be thrilled. The kids who are the main audience would be going 'um, and what's the toy I'm supposed to buy again?'. Which of course, they didn't really do anyway, but the point stands - it's a bad idea. Keep it simple! That's how MOTU, and all mythic storytelling, works best.

I take it your friend isn't exactly a he-fan then?

I really don't like the Green Lantern theory of He-man. I like that there is only one that is what makes him He-man The Most Powerful Man in The Universe.
    Check out the Masters Of The Galaxy Podcast. And also check out Masters of the Galaxy Facebook page

Follow me on Twitter.... BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Of_Destruction

Heh, he didn't die either, that's the point. Since we're rewriting it to have him die it shouldn't too much of a stretch to rewrite it so that he appears.

He-Man historian
    The problem with the new series was they didnt do ENOUGH with the Adam/He-Man character. They let him get his butt kicked and focused far too much on side bar characters. Ironic considering the toy case ratios..
    Well that's the price you pay when the group-dynamics are changed to this X-men situation, where you have 5-8 characters on the screen, yet nobody really gets enough attention.

Except for of course Duncan, who couldn't keep his helmet on..... (it took King Grayskull to finally boot Duncan out of the picture for 22 minutes)

There was some effort to focus on the tried and true He-Man/M-A-A/Teela/Miscellaneous Heroic warrior, but it wasn't enough.
    He-Man & She-Ra fan, writer to official Dark Horse MOTU/POP books

· ToonJukka - Youtube Channel with He-Man/She-Ra videos; Origins, Trivia, Top5 lists and more!

I'm not impressed with your friends theory. Theres only one He-man, you can't kill him. He's the main character you never kill the main character.

KryptoFred

Dr. Ω
    Would it matter if Randor were injured? Or even old? If the magic could transform him, it could probably fix his knee, and He-man is clearly older than Adam, so Randor could come out younger. I think the real question is "If Randor were He-man, would He-man have a beard?

Nonsense. If there were a He-Man with a beard, he would be the evil twin of He-Man. Then there would be no need for a Faker.

If you think about it, there was an original He-Man that did die. King Grayskull. Thats basically who He-Man looks like, only not quite as huge and with a different hair style. I really need to watch that episode again. It does seem like Adam is the reincarnation of King Grayskull somehow. He appears to be using the sword to draw out his latent abilities and/or past life/lives.
    Igor: You know, I'll never forget my old dad. When these things would happen to him...the things he'd say to me.
    Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: What did he say?
    Igor: "What the hell are you doing in the bathroom all day and night?! Why don't you get out of there and give someone else a chance?!"

KryptoFred
    mirror-mirror MOTU aside, Adam is either a reincarnation or he is drawing power from the sword, he can't have it both ways. Personally I believe the latter, after he banished Hordak, Grayskull appeared to split his power between the sword and the Elders. Then made his quasi-prophesy about his power returning someday when it was needed. So He-man isn't even technically a real person, but more a shared aspect of two diffrent personalities. Making Adam the only one who can become He-man, and leading me to a new question: If He-man is killed can Adam survive?
    Last edited by KryptoFred; September 9, 2005 at 07:14pm.

Heroic Master of Typos davidlogan's Avatar
    Not likely. The way I see it, if He-man were killed, he would revert back to Adam, but a dead adam. Like in the final EP of the show. Serpos KO'ed He-man and he reverted back to KO'ed adam.
    "..."

4-Wheeled Heroic Warrior Wheelor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brianatarms
    thats the most retarded thing that i have read here in a long time. First how do you kill the most powerfull man in the universe.
    with a most powerful man in the universe killing gun.
    Quote the Raven
    "Nevermore"

Movie mayhem!
    ok fine.. but then, how do you kill someone with Fabulous Secrets?! Impossible I say!
    Check out my MOTU Spin off comic here: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...62#post3784962