Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Live-Action She-Ra Coming To Amazon Prime

I think the tone will not be dark or gritty...I am expecting something along the lines of Hercules or Xena TV series or Beastmaster. The production values will likely be good, but the whole project hinges on the casting at this stage...who they cast will determine whether it suceeds or fails.

Quote Originally Posted by sirsniffy View Post
    I think the tone will not be dark or gritty...I am expecting something along the lines of Hercules or Xena TV series or Beastmaster. The production values will likely be good, but the whole project hinges on the casting at this stage...who they cast will determine whether it suceeds or fails.
    Margot Robbie would be perfect, but she's likely out of range for the budget. They'll probably have to cast someone who isn't famous.

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    Margot Robbie would be perfect, but she's likely out of range for the budget. They'll probably have to cast someone who isn't famous.
    Yes, I don't see them going with named actors. They will probably cast unknown or little know Canadian actors.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynaman View Post
    I know, right?
    TBH I see very little of SPOP's fans doing this kind of crap and way more people accusing them of that kind of crap and dumping on them for it. It feels to me more like people are taking a couple of bad eggs and spinning it into the entire fanbase being like that, there's nor shortage of hack youtubers who make their careers off that kind of thing (eg Hero Hei).

That being said I don't think it's that uncommon for a fanbase who came into a franchise through a specific version, to end up viewing that as the one true versions and end up basing their idea of what the thing is and should be, solely off that version.

A great example of that kind of thing is a review I once saw for Marvel's 2017 Spider-man cartoon. Don't take this as a defense of that show (it's painfully mediocre). But anyway the critic in question talked the origin story episode, specifically Uncle Ben's death. He complained about how Ben died off screen (with Peter only finding out after the fact) and how the scene of Ben dyeing in Peter's arms is such an important part of the Spider-man's origin and how terrible the show was for changing things not to include it. Of course anyone with knowledge of the source material, will know that there was no such scene in the original comic and that the guy was clearly basing his perspective on Spider-man on the Raimi films (with the show ironically being closer to the comic in that regard).

I know that was a long tangent ans I apologise, but you hopefully get my pint (if it didn't get lost in my ramblings).

Quote Originally Posted by A Dalek View Post
    TBH I see very little of SPOP's fans doing this kind of crap and way more people accusing them of that kind of crap and dumping on them for it. It feels to me more like people are taking a couple of bad eggs and spinning it into the entire fanbase being like that, there's nor shortage of hack youtubers who make their careers off that kind of thing (eg Hero Hei).
    I have stay away from MOTU discussion on social media because it's pretty awful(Revelation is a fine example) but I have been observing the community though smaller groups. Takes on this vary but most people are mostly hung up not getting more SPOP and the live action aspect because adaptions are usually not great. Of course the most vocal gets the most attention and fans are gushing over Horde Queen Catra now anyway.
    Princesses of Power enthusiast

Most Twitter comments from SPOP fans seem very upset about not getting the cartoon movie they have been pushing. Most do not seem interested in other iterations of She-Ra or MOTU. Read comments on the Variety article on Twitter to see some examples. Twitter seems to represent the extreme elements of most fanbases.

I'm not sure what to think of the 1987 movie meets Powder Puff Girls live action pilot comment.

Heroic Warrior
    Iím kind of hoping if the series is more to Mattelís liking theyíll lease over more villains, so we can see stuff like She Ra vs. Multibot.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post

I'm not sure what to think of the 1987 movie meets Powder Puff Girls live action pilot comment.
    It could mean anything. Iím guessing it means theyíre going to try to aim it more mature.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post

I'm honestly pretty concerned about this show and that comment is not helping

I know I'm the only person who would want to see this, but maybe make it in a style reminiscent of Tokusastu.

Widget
    I don't think the number of SPOP's fans doing this kind of thing is so little. After all, many fans tend to be pretty protective of things they like.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    I don't think the number of SPOP's fans doing this kind of thing is so little. After all, many fans tend to be pretty protective of things they like.
    There's probably not going to be anything to discuss for well...years (see any live-action adaptation that gets announced and we have to wait forever for news, that's just the production process right there), but the main source of whining from the hardcore SPOP fandom is the fear of Adora not being gay. Even though their version of Adora failed, which is why we're getting this one. I'm going to avoid talking about Tar Swamp stuff here, and just say "look, sometimes things change and change back. Change is not a one way street, which is something a lot of these fans think is the case."

There's probably not going to be anything to discuss for well...years (see any live-action adaptation that gets announced and we have to wait forever for news, that's just the production process right there), but the main source of whining from the hardcore SPOP fandom is the fear of Adora not being gay. Even though their version of Adora failed, which is why we're getting this one. I'm going to avoid talking about Tar Swamp stuff here, and just say "look, sometimes things change and change back. Change is not a one way street, which is something a lot of these fans think is the case."
    I don't believe for a second we would be getting this one, if their version "failed".

Heroic Warrior
    I dunno, going from one network to another, starting from scratch, a new medium?

It says the idea has potential but the show itself didnít reach a big audience.

I dunno, going from one network to another, starting from scratch, a new medium?

It says the idea has potential but the show itself didnít reach a big audience.
    You don't just jump straight into the next big project for a brand, if your attempt at reviving it fails. She-Ra was more less a forgotten brand for decades prior to the Netflix series. It was a less popular spin off, of a brand that itself wasn't really relevant in that time (MoTU).

Then decades later they try to revive the brand with SPOP. If SPOP then they start the next big She-Ra project almost immediately after SPOP ends. If SPOP was a flop or a failure they wouldn't be jumping into the next big project, because it would make no sense to do that, it's not the kind of thing you do with a dead brand.

None of this means I think SPOP was a massive success, but it was likely enough of one to revive the brand, raise it's profile and make it a viable brand again. And frankly this show getting made is proof of that.

And claiming it somehow proves the opposite is with all due respect, just backwards nonsensical logic. It comes across as more doing mental gymnastics to discredit SPOP than anything else.

Heroic Warrior
    What I’m claiming is that there is definitely some course correction being done, and that Noelle’s attempts to make an SPOP movie fell on deaf ears. I’m just trying to put the pieces together, and admit I would rather see a Witcher style action series.

Although giving the Horde Garo-style costumes would be pretty cool too.

What Iím claiming is that there is definitely some course correction being done, and that Noelleís attempts to make an SPOP movie fell on deaf ears. Iím just trying to put the pieces together, and admit I would rather see a Witcher style action series.

Although giving the Horde Garo-style costumes would be pretty cool too.
    We have no idea what the show will be beyond it not being a continuation of SPOP. For all we know it could end up having more in common with SPOP than classic She-Ra.

As for Noelle, her attitude always came off as less trying to get the movie made and more like she'd be up for it. And honestly I think even that was probably done to placate the fans who want the movie. SPOP already told it's story, wrapped everything up and didn't really leave the cast with anywhere else to go.

You don't just jump straight into the next big project for a brand, if your attempt at reviving it fails. She-Ra was more less a forgotten brand for decades prior to the Netflix series. It was a less popular spin off, of a brand that itself wasn't really relevant in that time (MoTU).

Then decades later they try to revive the brand with SPOP. If SPOP then they start the next big She-Ra project almost immediately after SPOP ends. If SPOP was a flop or a failure they wouldn't be jumping into the next big project, because it would make no sense to do that, it's not the kind of thing you do with a dead brand.

None of this means I think SPOP was a massive success, but it was likely enough of one to revive the brand, raise it's profile and make it a viable brand again. And frankly this show getting made is proof of that.

And claiming it somehow proves the opposite is with all due respect, just backwards nonsensical logic. It comes across as more doing mental gymnastics to discredit SPOP than anything else.
    SPOP isn't as popular as you think it is. It was a niche show that failed to move toys. This announcement from Amazon could just as likely be because of MOTU coming back rather than Netflix's version of the show.

Heroic Warrior
    Honestly, the only SPOP thing I really hope stays is the whole Seahawk as a himbo thing.

Like, I'm fine with losing basically everything else (although, I kinda prefer a lot of the designs, I hate onion head Double Trouble).

But like, I still have a bad feeling since this is live action.

Filmation designs brought to life would be ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    Filmation designs brought to life would be ideal.
    I don't know, direct translations would likely look ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by GP Legend View Post
    SPOP isn't as popular as you think it is. It was a niche show that failed to move toys. This announcement from Amazon could just as likely be because of MOTU coming back rather than Netflix's version of the show.
    So what part of "None of this means I think SPOP was a massive success" did you not understand? I was implying it was a cult thing.

And I don't think a couple crappy dolls that Mattle arbitrarily farted out and then them not bothering with anymore merch was ever going to be a successful line. I grantee that if they got some Figma's made they would sell, because the shows fanbase would be the kind who would eat that kind of stuff up.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Reviews2D View Post
    I don't know, direct translations would likely look ridiculous.
    To be fair the same could be said about SPOP.

To be fair the same could be said about SPOP.
    I agree, if there is one thing I can get behind it's not making costumes a compete one to one of a cartoon.

Quote Originally Posted by UsernameMDM View Post
    2 things -

#1 - I hope the lead is an athletic and athletic built woman.

#2 - I hope Lucy Lawless gets a cameo or a role.
    I hope She-Ra's plus sized and non-binary so we can finally end bigotry once and for all.
    Brings doom to MOTUC with cel accuracy.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Reviews2D View Post
    I agree, if there is one thing I can get behind it's not making costumes a compete one to one of a cartoon.
    Put the actress in the William Stout outfit (or a variant thereof). That will convince people that the show isn’t like the Noelle one!

There’s always some alterations between animated concepts and actual outfits (because real people need to wear them without looking cheap or cheesy) but I would wager you could pull up the original outfits easier given their rotoscoped origins. It wouldn’t nor shouldn’t be 1:1 but you can get pretty close in spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Samurai View Post
    Something a little more substantial, same person, same thread

Think the Masters of the Universe movie mixed with the CW Power Puff Girls show trying to be made
    Called it!