Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Live-Action She-Ra Coming To Amazon Prime

If I'm wrong then everybody wins.

I'm sure if it were that easy to just fix the rights issues, they would. I mean, it seems "easy enough" to have She-Ra in the He-Man comics or toy lines, but TV and movies seems infinitely more complicated due to the whole Dreamworks thing.

But I agree with you for the most part. A She-Ra universe disconnected from He-Man doesn't make sense to or interest me. A He-Man universe without She-Ra... eh, I don't LIKE it, but she wasn't there at the start so I understand and accept why she's not in every iteration of MOTU. Speaking metaphorically, she wasn't already programmed into the MOTU code, originally, she was late-stage DLC. So if they do He-Man universes where she isn't referenced I can live with it.

But She-Ra was literally created as an offshoot of He-Man and MOTU, so when that tether is severed, I get cranky about it and my interest drops significantly. She wouldn't even exist without He-Man. Some people would probably claim that "diminishes" her in some way, but I don't see it like that, I just think it's a factual statement; that she was created as "He-Man's sister" and therefore should always be That because that's her entire original raison d'etre.

Anyways, we'll see. I just go from my gut and my gut says This, but it's so early yet we have no way of knowing what it'll turn out to be. Who knows?
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Quote Originally Posted by Rikki Roxx View Post
    People always gush about The Boys, and I don't know. I love those comics way too much and the stuff they changed and watered-down for the show just really aggravates me. It also feels like some of the points the comic tried to make have been glossed over, or at least heavily simplified.

I'unno, I barely look at it very much. ((Shrug)) Visually it's nice but I prefer the books by a mile. The show just comes off as a more sanitized and easy-to-swallow version of the books, to me.
    TBH I never really liked the comics. Ennis has never been very good at deconstructing super heroes and the comics just came across as him dumping in the genre for the sake of dumping on the genre.

I'm not all that big a fan of the show either, but it does at least feel more like it has an actual point, to it's dumping on super heroes.

Heroic Warrior
    I prefer the black comedy and rather self parodying nature of the show to the comic’s fairly one dimensional, shallow hate for a genre the author blames for his non superhero stories not being successful.

Still, I don’t think that’s the tone this show will go for. I could see them playing with the humor, but think Xena, Witcher, or the like. Admittedly a tall blonde lady with a huge sword beating up robot troopers, monsters, and romancing a pirate feels like the sort of thing that people would jump on…even if the SPOP fans will lose their minds.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynaman View Post
    I prefer the black comedy and rather self parodying nature of the show to the comic’s fairly one dimensional, shallow hate for a genre the author blames for his non superhero stories not being successful.

Still, I don’t think that’s the tone this show will go for. I could see them playing with the humor, but think Xena, Witcher, or the like. Admittedly a tall blonde lady with a huge sword beating up robot troopers, monsters, and romancing a pirate feels like the sort of thing that people would jump on…even if the SPOP fans will lose their minds.
    Given how Dreamworks has a hand in this show I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up sharing more of it's DNA with SPOP than you are expecting. Like I said whatever I 100% believe that this show is being made partially because SPOP likely did somewhat raise the profile of the She-Ra

I'm not saying it will be totally like SPOP, but I think people expecting a straight adaptation of classic She-Ra or expecting it to have nothing in common with SPOP, will be disappointed.

This is awesome news. I love the Netflix She-Ra show with one exception: their portrayal of Hordak and the Horde in general (except for Scorpia, she was the best thing about that show!). If anything, I hope that this new live-action show has nothing to do with Hordak and the Evil Horde.

Maybe it would be more like Xena and the Hercules show from the 1990s. A She-Ra show like that: perhaps with Adora, Glimmer, and Bow journeying through Etheria, righting wrongs, and all along Adora finds out more about her past and the secrets of Crystal Castle, etc. That would be awesome!
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Obviously, it will have some differences and might be a bit more adult, but I hope is is based off of Filmation She-Ra lore and not SPOP.

Quote Originally Posted by A Dalek View Post
    TBH I never really liked the comics. Ennis has never been very good at deconstructing super heroes and the comics just came across as him dumping in the genre for the sake of dumping on the genre.

I'm not all that big a fan of the show either, but it does at least feel more like it has an actual point, to it's dumping on super heroes.
    Eh. Maybe. That stuff is definitely in the books, but I got a lot more than that from them, personally. That's what got me to check it out but all the explorations and indictments of things like government, corporations and organized religions (and the blunt honesty with which Ennis tackled the subjects) was what made me fall in love with it. And none of that stuff can ever be tackled the same way on a mainstream TV show, there's just no way. I know they've danced around some of it, but it's pretty shallow by comparison.

To be rather blunt, though, a lot of that stuff about the super-hero genre needed to be said, anyways. It's only become even more relevant in the years since, too. Ennis definitely gets pretty heavy-handed when he has an in-story character for example literally scream "Who gives a ____ about super-heroes?!", but I mean, it's not an invalid point when you're in a medium like comics then or TV/Movies right now, where nothing but that stuff can even get a green light.

I've got about 20-something boxes of super-hero comics, myself, but I mean... scathing or not, there's really nothing he said in that series that was false. I enjoyed the satire. The "black comedy" of the comics cuts far deeper than anything they can do on the show, as well, which is more satisfying to me.

I don't know, if people like the show that's fine, it just seems a little too "clean" and straightforward, to me, and it thus loses much of its point. The satire's there, kind of, the social commentary's there, kind of, it's just... more surface-level. It skirts too close to being a plain old super-hero show in its approach, for me. I also don't like how several of the characters were completely rewritten so they're almost different people from the books. I never love that kinda thing.

To me the show is like a Kidz Bop version of a rap song. You got the beat, some of the words are the same, but it's watered-down from its original form and much of the intent has been lost.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

Eh. Maybe. That stuff is definitely in the books, but I got a lot more than that from them, personally. That's what got me to check it out but all the explorations and indictments of things like government, corporations and organized religions (and the blunt honesty with which Ennis tackled the subjects) was what made me fall in love with it. And none of that stuff can ever be tackled the same way on a mainstream TV show, there's just no way. I know they've danced around some of it, but it's pretty shallow by comparison.

To be rather blunt, though, a lot of that stuff about the super-hero genre needed to be said, anyways. It's only become even more relevant in the years since, too. Ennis definitely gets pretty heavy-handed when he has an in-story character for example literally scream "Who gives a ____ about super-heroes?!", but I mean, it's not an invalid point when you're in a medium like comics then or TV/Movies right now, where nothing but that stuff can even get a green light.

I've got about 20-something boxes of super-hero comics, myself, but I mean... scathing or not, there's really nothing he said in that series that was false. I enjoyed the satire. The "black comedy" of the comics cuts far deeper than anything they can do on the show, as well, which is more satisfying to me.

I don't know, if people like the show that's fine, it just seems a little too "clean" and straightforward, to me, and it thus loses much of its point. The satire's there, kind of, the social commentary's there, kind of, it's just... more surface-level. It skirts too close to being a plain old super-hero show in its approach, for me. I also don't like how several of the characters were completely rewritten so they're almost different people from the books. I never love that kinda thing.

To me the show is like a Kidz Bop version of a rap song. You got the beat, some of the words are the same, but it's watered-down from its original form and much of the intent has been lost.
    The problem is Ennis dosn't say anything meaningful in his stories. He just shouts "Super Heroes are teh suck" at the reader. Some like Moore actualy did say things that needed to be said about the genre and usually actualy had a point behind it.

There' nothing wrong with craping on superheroes in your stories. But there should be an actual point to it and Ennis has never had a point to it in any of his super hero stories.
    Last edited by A Dalek; September 14, 2021 at 09:55am.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Obviously, it will have some differences and might be a bit more adult, but I hope is is based off of Filmation She-Ra lore and not SPOP.
    Dreamworks is listed as the producer instead of Universal so I don’t see them going full adult content on this. Little blood, lot of robots getting beaten up, etc. At least this time there won’t be a prom episode.

The problem is Ennis dosn't say anything meaningful in his stories. He just shouts "Super Heroes are teh suck" at the reader. Some like Moore actualy did say things that needed to be said about the genre and usually actualy had a point behind it.

There' noting wrong with craping on superheroes in your stories. But there should be an actual point to it and Ennis has never had a point to it in any of his super hero stories.
    I disagree. I think the book made a lot of good points beyond simply taking shots at super-heroes, like how we constantly glorify fictional "heroes" and their nonexistent "inspirational" deeds while ignoring or vilifying real-life heroes like soldiers, just for one example. The entire book is in some ways a thesis on how we're so desperate to have anything at all to believe in that we seek false hope from false idols, using super-heroes as only one of multiple prominent examples of that, governments and religion being others. And so on and so forth.

It's fine if you didn't see or absorb those things from the material, but that doesn't mean it isn't there.

And while I'm aware the show does tiptoe around some of the same points the book does, I'm simply not a fan of the more "safe" and toothless way it does so. That comes down to personal preference. I prefer my satire to go for the jugular, not settle for a playful pat on the behind.

Heroic Warrior
    A brief aside, but Ennis going on about “what about the real heroes?” doesn’t really work when satirizing Jack Kirby’s works…because Kirby fought in the damn war. He was a scout who found one of the first concentration camps to be revealed to the world. Kirby was a man who found merely drawing Nazis getting killed unfulfilling and went to war to kill them up close and personally. So parodying his works as “what about the real heroes?” doesn’t exactly hit for me.

like how we constantly glorify fictional "heroes" and their nonexistent "inspirational" deeds .
    The problem there is we don't. We enjoy their stories and think they are good or even great character, but that is not the same thing as putting them on the kind of pedestal you are describing.

Hell by the logic you (and presumably Ennis) is using then everyone should love the perfect idealised heroes. But most the most popular heroes in any media tend to be the flawed ones who have weaknesses to overcome.

Why are they popular? Because that's just a plane more interesting story than perfect man who solves everything. If we really worshiped them like you claimed no one would care about that kind of stuff.

Trust me autistic people know better about this kind of thing.

A brief aside, but Ennis going on about “what about the real heroes?” doesn’t really work when satirizing Jack Kirby’s works…because Kirby fought in the damn war. He was a scout who found one of the first concentration camps to be revealed to the world. Kirby was a man who found merely drawing Nazis getting killed unfulfilling and went to war to kill them up close and personally. So parodying his works as “what about the real heroes?” doesn’t exactly hit for me.
    There's literally an entire arc near the middle of the series where Ennis goes to great lengths to make the point that the people who fought in those wars were far more heroic and noble and brave than any fictional hero could ever be, and I'm sure that by extension he meant that Kirby was as well.

You can satirize someone's work without skewering them as a person. I'm sure Kirby was one of those "Real Heroes" that Ennis was saying "What about...", even though he made nasty jokes about the Fantastic 4.

- - - Updated - - -

The problem there is we don't. We enjoy their stories and think they are good or even great character, but that is not the same thing as putting them on the kind of pedestal you are describing.

Hell by the logic you (and presumably Ennis) is using then everyone should love the perfect idealised heroes. But most the most popular heroes in any media tend to be the flawed ones who have weaknesses to overcome.

Why are they popular? Because that's just a plane more interesting story than perfect man who solves everything. If we really worshiped them like you claimed no one would care about that kind of stuff.

Trust me autistic people know better about this kind of thing.
    I'm not just talking about fictional heroes of literature, and neither was Ennis, I'm talking about fictional "heroes" we idealize like athletes and celebrities and politicians, as well. Again, it appears that you didn't quite grasp the point he was trying to make, and then missed mine as well. Hope I clarified it enough.

Also, the thing in bold? I don't know if it's supposed to be funny, but it's not something I missed when I didn't see you do it for a while. Just letting you know, feel free to do what you choose with that information.

There's literally an entire arc near the middle of the series where Ennis goes to great lengths to make the point that the people who fought in those wars were far more heroic and noble and brave than any fictional hero could ever be, and I'm sure that by extension he meant that Kirby was as well.

You can satirize someone's work without skewering them as a person. I'm sure Kirby was one of those "Real Heroes" that Ennis was saying "What about...", even though he made nasty jokes about the Fantastic 4.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not just talking about fictional heroes of literature, and neither was Ennis, I'm talking about fictional "heroes" we idealize like athletes and celebrities and politicians, as well. Again, it appears that you didn't quite grasp the point he was trying to make, and then missed mine as well. Hope I clarified it enough.

Also, the thing in bold? I don't know if it's supposed to be funny, but it's not something I missed when I didn't see you do it for a while. Just letting you know, feel free to do what you choose with that information.
    The problem there is a vast overestimation of just how much people worship those kinds of people. And no I'm there isn't a significant number of people who do but your average person dosn't. Most people I know didn't worship whatever politician they voted for, they don't worship their favourite celebrity or fictional hero.

And there's also the question of what exactly a hero is? Because the idea of a hero being someone who helps others and risks their life for others, is purely a modern concept. And even when applying that modern concept, what denotes a hero is still largely a subjective thing.

Heroic Warrior
    On the topic of the tone of the show, it’s usually expected that a live action series will always be a bit more mature than animation, even if I still think Dreamworks will keep it from being too mature. How do you think that will play out? An outfit closer to the classic rotoscoped design? Or does someone say “screw it, Amazon” and put her in the William Stout outfit?

On the topic of the tone of the show, it’s usually expected that a live action series will always be a bit more mature than animation, even if I still think Dreamworks will keep it from being too mature. How do you think that will play out? An outfit closer to the classic rotoscoped design? Or does someone say “screw it, Amazon” and put her in the William Stout outfit?
    Something along the lines of either classic She-Ra or SPOP She-Ra would look kind of dumb on a real person, so maybe a brand new take on the costume.

The problem there is a vast overestimation of just how much people worship those kinds of people. And no I'm there isn't a significant number of people who do but your average person dosn't. Most people I know didn't worship whatever politician they voted for, they don't worship their favourite celebrity or fictional hero.
    A ton of people want THE ROCK to be the next President, and yet, you say this? C'mon.

I don't know, man. Perhaps in your life experience you don't see people putting folks who don't deserve it on pedestals en masse, but it's been that way for my entire life and long before. And that's largely the sort of thing Ennis initially set out to skewer with The Boys, not JUST taking shots at super-hero fiction. One of the main points of the entire book was, "Look how foolish we are as a species, in glorifying Bad People because we're just that desperate to have something resembling 'hope'." And super-heroes being problematic was merely one of the multiple ways in which Ennis illustrated that point.

This was my initial larger point, that Ennis wasn't "just" skewering super-heroes, he was doing that in service of a LARGER point about false idols and how easily we as a species are misled, often willingly, by the people we look up to and trust. That goes way, way beyond super-heroes. And I was merely saying, this is why "It's just him saying super-heroes suck" is a false statement. Even if you didn't catch what he put on the paper, doesn't mean it's not in there. Rather, it was the ultimate point of the exercise. Super-hero satire was just the way he got people's attention.

Anyway, wasn't trying to do a whole "thing" about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Something along the lines of either classic She-Ra or SPOP She-Ra would look kind of dumb on a real person
    I have seen so, SO many classic She-Ra cosplayers who completely refute this statement with their very existence.

Never seen any SPOP cosplayers. But some of the classic She-Ras? Va-va-va-VOOOOOM.

A ton of people is not the same thing as most people. And even if that point is there, Ennis is just not good at getting it across. Trust me on this one, remember which one of us has the mental disorder that gives a greater attention to detail.

Anyway the problem is that both versions of She-Ra have outfits that look fine in the world of animation but jus look gaudy in real life.

Heroic Warrior
    There’s always the Stout outfit (j/k, mostly).

It might be worth doing a redesign that takes the core concept and adapts it. Even Cannon Films got that somewhat right.

A ton of people is not the same thing as most people. And even if that point is there, Ennis is just not good at getting it across. Trust me on this one, remember which one of us has the mental disorder that gives a greater attention to detail.
    1. In your opinion, he isn't. Others too, probably. That's fine. I however disagree.

2. To the bold - Can you maybe not do this? Whenever you do it, I confess it makes me uncomfortable. It's up to you, just saying.

2. To the bold - Can you maybe not do this? Whenever you do it, I confess it makes me uncomfortable. It's up to you, just saying.
    Fair enough

This is an amazing and awesome announcement!

Very glad to hear the show will be stand alone canon, not a continuation of the recent show.

Really hoping Hordak, Shadow Weaver, Catra and co are restored to genuinely evil, scary villains like in the comics, and not the weaklings and/or teen angst characters we saw in the Netflix.

Look forward to how this positive development evolves
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

This is totally going to be a CW style show aimed at teenage girls. I'll still give it a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by optimiss View Post
    This is totally going to be a CW style show aimed at teenage girls. I'll still give it a chance.
    Best case scenario we get a She ra sized version of Sabrina the teenage witch.

A lot of SPOP fans seem to be upset on Twitter about this as they want nothing but a continuation of the SPOP cartoon via another season or movie.