Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Live-Action She-Ra Coming To Amazon Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    A lot of SPOP fans seem to be upset on Twitter about this as they want nothing but a continuation of the SPOP cartoon via another season or movie.
    Being live action also doesn't help
    Princesses of Power enthusiast

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Reviews2D View Post
    Being live action also doesn't help
    They’re worried that the show will draw more on the original, which lends itself to a live action swashbuckling adventure about a big hot lady with a big sword battling monsters and robots way more easily than the 2018 show did. The sort of thing that made men and women watch Xena and The Witcher. And to them I say “Not so fun when the shoe is on the other foot, huh?”

Quote Originally Posted by Dynaman View Post
    They’re worried that the show will draw more on the original, which lends itself to a live action swashbuckling adventure about a big hot lady with a big sword battling monsters and robots way more easily than the 2018 show did. The sort of thing that made men and women watch Xena and The Witcher. And to them I say “Not so fun when the shoe is on the other foot, huh?”
    Not really it's more so do to previous experience with the like of The Last Air-Bender movie
    Last edited by Reviews2D; September 14, 2021 at 10:16pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Not really it's more so do to previous experience with the like of The Last Air-Bender movie
    I could understand that to a degree given LA adaptations are a crapshoot (thereís some good ones, some not so good ones, and a ton coming down the pipeline). But most of the Twitter whining is about Adora being with Sea Hawk and not Catra.

Not sure why everyone is complaining about the live action She-Ra. I am glad it is not related to the new Netflix show, yes I watched it, and by the last season I enjoyed it more but the first season was hard to get through. I hope the live action version is more like the original toon but more darker, serious, more like the Eternity War He-Man & She-Ra comic series. That was such a great new take on She-Ra and if we get something like that then this show could really be outstanding.
    Like I said before, make it a fantasy show like Xena Warrior Princess with her dark past and full of action and todays awesome special effects and this show could be a hit.
    Lets just hope the powers that be don't ruin this!
    Xena & She-Ra Rule

Heroic Warrior
    Found this interesting detail on another forum

Can't say much, but the things I've heard about this show from a source of mine does not make me too excited about this.
    -Source

It's not clear whether this person falls on the side of SPOP or the original series, or maybe both. We'll see. There may not be a writer, but this indicates a pitch has at least been approved.

Quote Originally Posted by A Dalek View Post
    Given how Dreamworks has a hand in this show I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up sharing more of it's DNA with SPOP than you are expecting.
    That depends on whether or not the elements of SPOP that annoyed people were mandates from Netflix or not. I look at it as them possibly keeping what did work and discarding what didn't.
    Last edited by Cameron Samurai; September 15, 2021 at 03:59am.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Samurai View Post

-Source

It's not clear whether this person falls on the side of SPOP or the original series, or maybe both. We'll see. There may not be a writer, but this indicates a pitch has at least been approved.

That depends on whether or not the elements of SPOP that annoyed people were mandates from Netflix or not. I look at it as them possibly keeping what did work and discarding what didn't.
    So this basically doesn't tell us anything?

Edit: Also what weight does this post really have, Who do they even know?
    Last edited by Reviews2D; September 15, 2021 at 04:13am.

-Source

I personally think SPOP's existence and whatever success it had, is almost certainly a big part of the reason for this show getting made. She-Ra was more or less a forgotten brand in the 2010's and a live action version only comes about after SPOP.

That sequence of events does lend credence to the idea that SPOP did in fact raise (or rerise) the brands profile.

Heroic Warrior
    So this basically doesn't tell us anything?

Edit: Also what weight does this post really have, Who do they even know?
    Not to mention itís so vague that it could mean anything. One Twitter users trash is another viewers treasure. How else did Riverdale last so long?

We know what the Twitter SPOP fanbase wants, but I expect something in the opposite direction, high fantasy action with a lot of hot girls beating each other up. Gotta get guys to watch this.

Heroic Warrior
    Something a little more substantial, same person, same thread

Think the Masters of the Universe movie mixed with the CW Power Puff Girls show trying to be made

Heroic Warrior
    Something a little more substantial, same person, same thread
    Ok, I can work with that. Lot of sex, humans no one cares about, and a lot of bashing the previous cartoon.

Who could play Hordak in the same galaxy as Frank Langellaís Skeletor though?

If the feel was like the DC Comics which launched Despara I think a live action could be awesome - modern blend warrior movie grounded in the vintage She-ra mythology.
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

I'm clueless as to how they're going to do this. It seems to me that a TV budget wouldn't do the characters service. Will they go classic She-ra or will this be some new age type show? Or maybe a more realistic (less magic) type GoT type show?

Very curious but plan on supporting the show unless it just is awful.
    "A fool always finds a greater fool to admire him."

Widget
    2 things -

#1 - I hope the lead is an athletic and athletic built woman.

#2 - I hope Lucy Lawless gets a cameo or a role.

Doesn't netflix have a stake in the ownership of the netflix She-Ra? If they do, they won't be able to use any of the original elements created for the animated reboot. They will have to pull solely from the original series and toyline.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfan87 View Post
    Doesn't netflix have a stake in the ownership of the netflix She-Ra? If they do, they won't be able to use any of the original elements created for the animated reboot. They will have to pull solely from the original series and toyline.
    Dreamworks is an executive producer, who I believe would be the owners of such elements. If this show will have any we will have to wait.

Heroic Warrior
    When I first heard this I was like, "Maybe third time's the charm?"
    I like the core concept behind the She-Ra lore: former tyrant soldier seeking redemption, joins the resistance/rebels...with techno-magick.
    I even enjoyed some of the episodes from both animated series, just not enough to either finish the whole shows or buy any of the DVDs.
    Just didn't like the executions for either series in general.

Now that it's going to Amazon Prime, I can see them going for a more...don't want to say realistic or grittier approach...
    More like a middle ground between Lord of the Rings meets The Boys, two other Amazon shows.
    This could be their Rogue One; another show about a group of rebels battling an oppressive regime, which was more 'grittier' than Star War.
    Where the villain(s) are more competent and threatening and the heroes more 'willing'.

Anything but 1980's Flash Gordon.
    Too silly, too campy for my taste.
    Campier than Adam West Batman.

Last edited by tnktrk; September 15, 2021 at 03:10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfan87 View Post
    Dunno, maybe aspects of the mythology would be exclusive to Netflix, but I think elements like characterisation wouldn't really be something that you can copyright.

I will just copy and paste what I have put in another thread
    I own the SPOP dvd here's what it says: "SHE-RA and associated trademarks and characters copyrights are owned by and used under license from Mattel, Inc. Under license to Classic Media. She-Ra and the Princesses of Power C 2019 DreamWorks Animation LLC. All rights reserved"

Heroic Warrior
    I think the big question is going to be the tone. If LOTR is supposed to be Amazonís answer to Game of Thrones, heavy literature, then this could be their Witcher, lighter, more pulpy fair. And that would mean ramping up both the violence and the sex appeal, the latter of which seems to be whatís infuriating the Twitter verse.

I think the big question is going to be the tone. If LOTR is supposed to be Amazonís answer to Game of Thrones, heavy literature, then this could be their Witcher, lighter, more pulpy fair. And that would mean ramping up both the violence and the sex appeal, the latter of which seems to be whatís infuriating the Twitter verse.
    Is there a controversy around the Witcher? I haven't heard anything - would you mind elaborating?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    Is there a controversy around the Witcher? I haven't heard anything - would you mind elaborating?
    From one corner, it was the ample female nudity.
    From another corner, it was the casting of certain characters. The whole 'woke' stuff...
    Another was the decision to base the Witcher Neftlix series on the original novels and not the video games - especially the third game.

Heroic Warrior
    Not with the Witcher, no. I know some people were expecting GOT and got something pulpy in the vein of Hercules and Xena but that was fine.

The controversy is the idea that She Ra will take such a tone, since the SPOP fans seem infuriated at the idea of another show coming along and being completely different.

The controversy is the idea that She Ra will take such a tone, since the SPOP fans seem infuriated at the idea of another show coming along and being completely different.
    That's a very ironic and hypocritical stance on their part.

Heroic Warrior
    That's a very ironic and hypocritical stance on their part.
    I know, right?