Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 279

Thread: Binge watching 'old' television series

  1. #1
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    11,671

    Binge watching 'old' television series

    Yeah, the pandemic is tough and it doesn't look like it's going to let up soon, so all you orgers please stay safe.

    But one of the guilty pleasures -- and heaven knows we have few enough of them -- is binge watching old television series.

    I know I'm a lot older than most here on the board, but one series that Kim and I have had a tremendous amount of fun revisiting is the original DALLAS series -- one of the best series ever imo. J.R. Ewing, Sue Ellen, Bobby, Jock, Pam and the rest of the crew make for so much fun. I really get into it. J.R is certainly the villain you love to hate. Kim got me the entire series run and three DALLAS movies for Father's Day. I highly recommend it.

    We also had a blast watching all episodes of SEX & THE CITY, THE GOOD WIFE (fabulous series imo) and INTO THE BADLANDS, two great seasons and then, sadly, it went off the rails. When we finish with DALLAS -- we're on the last two seasons now -- we're going straight to DYNASTY. There's something about those seamy and steamy old series that I love.

    How about all of you? What are you enjoying and what can you recommend?

  2. #2
    Heroic Warrior Mark M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    3,407
    We have been watching The Alfred Hitchcock Hour and Alfred Hitchcock Presents. Really enjoying it, some great episodes.

  3. #3
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    469
    im currently binging on 24 during this lockdown. even rewatching i have all the tension i had watching it the first time

  4. #4
    Heroic Warrior Iluvart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    837
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Yeah, the pandemic is tough and it doesn't look like it's going to let up soon, so all you orgers please stay safe.

    But one of the guilty pleasures -- and heaven knows we have few enough of them -- is binge watching old television series.

    I know I'm a lot older than most here on the board, but one series that Kim and I have had a tremendous amount of fun revisiting is the original DALLAS series -- one of the best series ever imo. J.R. Ewing, Sue Ellen, Bobby, Jock, Pam and the rest of the crew make for so much fun. I really get into it. J.R is certainly the villain you love to hate. Kim got me the entire series run and three DALLAS movies for Father's Day. I highly recommend it.

    We also had a blast watching all episodes of SEX & THE CITY, THE GOOD WIFE (fabulous series imo) and INTO THE BADLANDS, two great seasons and then, sadly, it went off the rails. When we finish with DALLAS -- we're on the last two seasons now -- we're going straight to DYNASTY. There's something about those seamy and steamy old series that I love.

    How about all of you? What are you enjoying and what can you recommend?
    I've heard of those series apart from Dallas, I did watch a few episodes of The Good Wife and thought it was done well. The rest I haven't seen. I have heard good things about Into The Badlands, however time is limited these days.

    For some reason and this is completely unrelated, I am suddenly reminded of my dad and how he enjoyed watching Walker, Texas Ranger. I am not sure if he was a Chuck Norris fan, but I do know he had a love for lone-hero-styled cowboys dishing out brutal justice on the wild frontier, and that sorta stuff.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
    We have been watching The Alfred Hitchcock Hour and Alfred Hitchcock Presents. Really enjoying it, some great episodes.
    I think my wife had seen some of these, are these like Murder, She Wrote ?

    For a long while my wife and I watched The Walking Dead, and Supernatural, but stopped because The Walking Dead got a bit too gory for us, and it was getting kinda hard for us to follow all the plot twists and backstabbings in Supernatural (I think we just made it to season 8).

    My wife was really into X-Files and Star Trek, so she got me into Star Trek. I haven't given X-Files a serious go, does it age well after these years?

    The other show we are enjoying is The Mandalorian (we are not hardcore Star Wars fans, but generally enjoy the films - well at least some of the films). Still have to find a time to watch S2E2 together (sometimes it gets hard with all of the work and housework, etc.).

    My favourite series would probably have to be Firefly. I was rather disappointed it only lasted one season. I also enjoyed the follow up film Serenity, as well as the graphic novels set in the same universe.

    Then there is also Once Upon a Time, which is kinda enjoyable. I say kinda because I don't love it, but definitely don't hate it.

    My wife enjoyed Downton Abbey and I can kinda enjoy some parts of the series here and there.

  5. #5
    Life is good Dice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    6,302
    We've been watching Criminal Minds for a while now and enjoying it.
    "A fool always finds a greater fool to admire him."

  6. #6
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    469
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    We've been watching Criminal Minds for a while now and enjoying it.
    this show is great. always been a fan of criminal minds. love spencer, he was my fave character

  7. #7
    Heroic Warrior Mark M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    3,407
    Quote Originally Posted by Iluvart View Post
    I've heard of those series apart from Dallas, I did watch a few episodes of The Good Wife and thought it was done well. The rest I haven't seen. I have heard good things about Into The Badlands, however time is limited these days.

    For some reason and this is completely unrelated, I am suddenly reminded of my dad and how he enjoyed watching Walker, Texas Ranger. I am not sure if he was a Chuck Norris fan, but I do know he had a love for lone-hero-styled cowboys dishing out brutal justice on the wild frontier, and that sorta stuff.



    I think my wife had seen some of these, are these like Murder, She Wrote ?

    For a long while my wife and I watched The Walking Dead, and Supernatural, but stopped because The Walking Dead got a bit too gory for us, and it was getting kinda hard for us to follow all the plot twists and backstabbings in Supernatural (I think we just made it to season 8).

    My wife was really into X-Files and Star Trek, so she got me into Star Trek. I haven't given X-Files a serious go, does it age well after these years?

    The other show we are enjoying is The Mandalorian (we are not hardcore Star Wars fans, but generally enjoy the films - well at least some of the films). Still have to find a time to watch S2E2 together (sometimes it gets hard with all of the work and housework, etc.).

    My favourite series would probably have to be Firefly. I was rather disappointed it only lasted one season. I also enjoyed the follow up film Serenity, as well as the graphic novels set in the same universe.

    Then there is also Once Upon a Time, which is kinda enjoyable. I say kinda because I don't love it, but definitely don't hate it.

    My wife enjoyed Downton Abbey and I can kinda enjoy some parts of the series here and there.
    The Alfred Hitchcock programmes are basically shorter programmes similar in style to his films. Every episode is different with a different cast.
    Murder,she Wrote was awesome...although some of the episodes after the first few seasons weren't that great but overall all 12 seasons are pretty good. The TV movies are quite good...the final one set in Ireland is especially good...not bias or anything lol.

    I have tried watching The Walking Dead and Supernatural but really just couldn't get into them. Haven't seen the X-Files since I was in high school and even then I really wasn't that into it.

    I am also enjoying The Mandalorian.

  8. #8
    Master of Physics VZX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,813
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    We've been watching Criminal Minds for a while now and enjoying it.
    My daughter loved that show.

    As a big Star Trek fan, I will re-watch a series once in a while. Right now, I am in the middle of Deep Space Nine. 179 episodes is a lot to get through! But the vast majority of them are good, and a few are really, really great.

    I also like old cartoons. I did a rewatch of GI Joe ARAH a few months ago. I was surprised how well it held up.

    I LOVE sitcoms from the 50s and 60s. I watched a few episodes from The Munsters a few weeks ago (for Halloween), but I also love Gilligan's Island, Leave it to Beaver, etc.

    Lastly, I have been discovering old shows on Tubi and Pluto. I watched the old Lone Ranger serial from the 40s and 50s and enjoyed it.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

  9. #9
    Heroic Warrior Brasco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Lake Grove, NY
    Posts
    1,228
    Married with children. I have every season on dvd and would watch after my kids went to sleep.
    These arenít really old but breaking bad(In my top 3 all time tv shows) Prison break, 2 and a half men(Sheen not Kutcher)
    "There's no back door to heaven just a front door to hell" - DIO RIP

  10. #10
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Des Moines IA
    Posts
    4,141
    It's been a long time since I watched a mini marathon of shows.

    Going by a "QUICK! RIGHT NOW! Recommend me some shows" I'm Going with Golden Girls and Night Court.

    They are perfect examples of shows that stand the test of time. A perfect example of non dated shows. Thus holding up to time.

    Golden Girls: the zingers. The one liners. Which go quickly

    Night Court: strong plot. a bit zany/wacky. some zingers. Appearances by Gomez Adams and Data.

    Hadn't planned on going with one but after seeing Brasco's post I'm listing a Honorable Mention: Married with children: Hurts to make it that but doing it any way. Need a guilty pleasure? Gotcha covered. Want to see the man of the house open up a big 'ol can whoop A? Check. He is the master of of Zero Bleeps given. He reads from the book of D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F. Want to feel better about your family life? Check. It's a show even before the virus that wouldn't be made today. At the time it was a renegade show on a start up channel. When you are don't watching all that greatness feel free to order a NO MA'AM off the internet.

    NOW. If I could only recommend one show it would be Married.....with children.

    I need to end this post right now. Other shows like A-Team is popping into my head.

  11. #11
    Heroic Warrior Bonehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Windy City South Suburbs
    Posts
    6,252
    Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    I know I'm a lot older than most here on the board, but one series that Kim and I have had a tremendous amount of fun revisiting is the original DALLAS series -- one of the best series ever imo. J.R. Ewing, Sue Ellen, Bobby, Jock, Pam and the rest of the crew make for so much fun. I really get into it. J.R is certainly the villain you love to hate. Kim got me the entire series run and three DALLAS movies for Father's Day. I highly recommend it.

    We also had a blast watching all episodes of SEX & THE CITY, THE GOOD WIFE (fabulous series imo) and INTO THE BADLANDS, two great seasons and then, sadly, it went off the rails. When we finish with DALLAS -- we're on the last two seasons now -- we're going straight to DYNASTY. There's something about those seamy and steamy old series that I love.
    Dallas...Dynasty....what no love for Falcon Crest?



    I religiously watch a Star Trek series at least twice a week. ST, TNG, DS9, and then Voyager. I am constantly watching those series.

    Married With Children, All In The Family, Sanford & Son, and Taxi are all shows I own and binge.

    I also just binged Gargoyles , seasons 1 &2 only, a show I binge at least once a year. Also Farscape and Avengers:EMH.
    Last edited by Bonehead; November 9, 2020 at 11:39pm.

  12. #12
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    11,671
    Yes on Falcon Crest, although it's second tier for me and imo on a par with Knots Landing. Not bad, but, again imo, they pale in comparison to Dallas and Dynasty.

    As much as I loved Taxi and the original Star Trek when they ran, they seem hopelessly dated to me now.

    I suppose Desperate Housewives deserves an honorable -- dishonorable? -- mention.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    Dallas...Dynasty....what no love for Falcon Crest?



    I religiously watch a Star Trek series at least twice a week. ST, TNG, DS9, and then Voyager. I am constantly watching those series.

    Married With Children, All In The Family, Sanford & Son, and Taxi are all shows I own and binge.

    I also just binged Gargoyles , seasons 1 &2 only, a show I binge at least once a year. Also Farscape and Avengers:EMH.
    Last edited by Heeeere's Olesker!; November 10, 2020 at 01:28am.

  13. #13
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    286
    Been binging on Golden Girls. I work from home and I like that it's easy to follow along and be entertained without having to look up at the screen much.

  14. #14
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    11,671
    Years ago this was our youngest child's nanny's favorite series. She used to laugh out loud. I find it interesting that the series was (is) so popular with younger viewers. For me, at seventy-one, some of the storylines and dialog hit a little too close to home. It's a great series, but for all the energy and vibrancy of the characters, they've still got a lot fewer years ahead of them than behind them and I don't need to be reminded that I'm in the same boat. I guess you have to be my age to really get what I'm talking about.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dcr4 View Post
    Been binging on Golden Girls. I work from home and I like that it's easy to follow along and be entertained without having to look up at the screen much.

  15. #15
    Bring back Classics! The All American's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Posts
    3,872
    Ever since we cut cable last year, I've watched a lot of old sitcoms on over-the-air TV on Antenna TV, MeTV, and such. Some sitcoms I watched as a kid and others I had never seen before - Benson, Coach, Gimme A Break, Valerie/Hogan Family, Frasier, Webster, Home Improvement, What's Happening/Now, etc...

    And a guilty pleasure, Walker Texas Ranger. I never watched it when it was on. I loved the Conan O'Brien lever clips in the 00's and how outrageous they are. The show comes on Charge every night in a three or four hour block and has some of the silliest plots ever. I watch it more for the comedic aspect. Chuck Norris' character is so over the top.

    I also enjoy watching Star Trek followed by Star Trek: The Next Generation on a local DC channel. I've never been a Trekkie but there are some really well done episodes I've discovered, plus some silly ones.

    Older TV shows tend to be less cynical, more fun, and have a moral center.

  16. #16
    Master of Physics VZX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,813
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    Dallas...Dynasty....what no love for Falcon Crest?



    I religiously watch a Star Trek series at least twice a week. ST, TNG, DS9, and then Voyager. I am constantly watching those series.

    Married With Children, All In The Family, Sanford & Son, and Taxi are all shows I own and binge.

    I also just binged Gargoyles , seasons 1 &2 only, a show I binge at least once a year. Also Farscape and Avengers:EMH.
    No mention of Enterprise?

    Honestly, that show has grown on me over the years. As a Trek fan, if you have not watched it in years (or at all), I would recommend giving it another shot. There are a couple of pretty good and great episodes in the first two seasons and I love most of season four. I did not like the Xindi arc in season 3, though the Macos on character dynamics grew very well.

    I would say it's better than the new Star Trek right now.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

  17. #17
    Master of New Adventures!
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    11,671
    In his inauguration speech, George H. W. Bush hoped for "a kinder, gentle nation." We tend to view those long ago times through rose-colored glasses. Heaven knows the nation had its share of problems and inequities in the 1950s and early to mid-1960s that I grew up in. But it was certainly as close as we'll ever come to that "kinder, gentler nation" as epitomized by those television series.

    Alas, it's gone forever, the toothpaste unable to be pushed back into the tube. You know not what you missed, so says the aging dinosaur...

    Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    Ever since we cut cable last year, I've watched a lot of old sitcoms on over-the-air TV on Antenna TV, MeTV, and such. Some sitcoms I watched as a kid and others I had never seen before - Benson, Coach, Gimme A Break, Valerie/Hogan Family, Frasier, Webster, Home Improvement, What's Happening/Now, etc...

    And a guilty pleasure, Walker Texas Ranger. I never watched it when it was on. I loved the Conan O'Brien lever clips in the 00's and how outrageous they are. The show comes on Charge every night in a three or four hour block and has some of the silliest plots ever. I watch it more for the comedic aspect. Chuck Norris' character is so over the top.

    I also enjoy watching Star Trek followed by Star Trek: The Next Generation on a local DC channel. I've never been a Trekkie but there are some really well done episodes I've discovered, plus some silly ones.

    Older TV shows tend to be less cynical, more fun, and have a moral center.

  18. #18
    Master of Hosting Events! JohnnyC's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    2,062
    Don't forget to go and watch The Greatest American Hero!! Cleverly written, great premise... and super hero-y!

    Good old days, indeed.

    -Johnny C

  19. #19
    Heroic Warrior Bonehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Windy City South Suburbs
    Posts
    6,252
    Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    No mention of Enterprise?



    I would say it's better than the new Star Trek right now.
    That's not saying much IMO. New Trek is garbage.

    Enterprise was OK but it's not a show that I have any interest in watching again. Voyager barely makes my cut.

  20. #20
    Master of fear Drunken Fist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Petal, Mississippi
    Posts
    6,484
    I watch random episodes from many old shows depending on mood, but as far as watching several ata time in a row, my go-tos are The Simpsons(still running, but on long enough that plenty of episodes qualify as "old TV"), King of the Hill, Cheers, and The Andy Griffith Show(B&W episodes only).

  21. #21
    Heroic Warrior Universe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    503
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    That's not saying much IMO. New Trek is garbage.

    Enterprise was OK but it's not a show that I have any interest in watching again. Voyager barely makes my cut.

    I watched most of the first season of Discovery and really wasn't a fan, but I've had multiple people tell me that season two is a major improvement. So I'm going to revisit it this winter.

    I will occasionally watch a little Enterprise for the Hoshi/T'Pol eye candy, but the writing on that show is just so bad, ugh. May they never make another Trek storyline about Vulcans in heat.

    Voyager is pretty decent if you squint and pretend Neelix, Harry Kim and Torres don't exist.

  22. #22
    Mer-Man Repaint Stinkor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    683
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcr4 View Post
    Been binging on Golden Girls. I work from home and I like that it's easy to follow along and be entertained without having to look up at the screen much.
    Iím a big fan of Golden Girls as well. Iím convinced everyoneís favorite is Sophia.

  23. #23
    Heroic Warrior Asher Tye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    1,490
    Might not qualify as "classic" yet, but I've been going back through some of my favorite "King of the Hill" episodes, as well as Futurama. Also went on-line to try to find Mission Hill, since I can't for the life of me find a physical copy of the show.

    For more live action fair, I've also been watching The Rifleman and Hogan's Heroes, along with Green Acres and Gomer Pyle, USMC.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

  24. #24
    Life is good Dice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    6,302
    Quote Originally Posted by Stinkor View Post
    Iím a big fan of Golden Girls as well. Iím convinced everyoneís favorite is Sophia.
    Our dogs are named after the Golden Girls, Sofie and Rosie.

    It's funny because they each have the personality traits of their namesake.
    "A fool always finds a greater fool to admire him."

  25. #25
    Heroic Warrior Amentep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Fawcett City
    Posts
    536
    If anyone likes classic mystery shows, I'd recommend Ellery Queen (Jim Hutton, David Wayne 1975-1976) and A Nero Wolfe Mystery (Maurey Chaykin, Timothy Hutton, 2001-2002) both really solid adaptions of the source mysteries, as good in their way as the David Suchet Agatha Christie's Poirot series (1989-2013)

    Currently watching Foyle's War (Michael Kitchen, 2002-2015) and The Sweeny (John Thaw, Dennis Waterman 1975-1978), two very different takes on crime dramas from the UK.

    Rewatching Star Trek TNG and Batman the Animated series for the first time since they originally aired. Also the recent uncut and restored Johnny Quest series.

    Its not real old, but catching up on modern day western/crime drama Longmire.

    Some of the other stuff I'm watching is more obscure or short lived - 1960s Australian western Whiplash with Peter Graves, 1980s French-US William Tell show Crossbow with William Lyman, not as well known but big in its day 1950s show Sky King, and some Quinn Martin shows, Barnaby Jones and Most Wanted.

    Oh and rewatching Ultraman for the first time since I was a kid.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •