Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Netflix He-Man & the Masters of the Universe Season #1 Talkback Thread *SPOILERS*

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned and it’s probably obvious but they have essentially melded the comic “Savage He-Man” from a tribe and Filmation canon “Prince Adam He-Man”

Quite well done imo

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    Not sure if this was mentioned before: but is R'Qazz an Avion? I mean, he's got the gray skin and "fur", wears goggles, and what looks like feathers on his fore-arm. Maybe he was an Avion that was cast out for being too evil? And then they took his power of flight away?

It would make sense, since the vintage toy Stratos was based on the Beast Man body.

- - - Updated - - -

My favorite versions of MotU:

1. Revelation
    2. MYP (200x)
    3. Netflix CGI He-Man
    4. Netflix She-Ra
    5. 1987 MotU movie
    6. Filmation She-Ra
    7. Filmation He-Man
    8. New Adventures

I LOVE the top five on my list. And I appreciate the bottom three on my list for existing, but I don't like watching them.
    We can’t even be sure this series uses the same aces like Avion, Gar etc. that was mostly 200x stuff and then Scott trying to make an actual canon for everything to fit in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    Not sure if this was mentioned before: but is R'Qazz an Avion? I mean, he's got the gray skin and "fur", wears goggles, and what looks like feathers on his fore-arm. Maybe he was an Avion that was cast out for being too evil? And then they took his power of flight away?

It would make sense, since the vintage toy Stratos was based on the Beast Man body.

- - - Updated - - -

My favorite versions of MotU:

1. Revelation
    2. MYP (200x)
    3. Netflix CGI He-Man
    4. Netflix She-Ra
    5. 1987 MotU movie
    6. Filmation She-Ra
    7. Filmation He-Man
    8. New Adventures

I LOVE the top five on my list. And I appreciate the bottom three on my list for existing, but I don't like watching them.
    I love that theory

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Heroic Warrior
    I've finally finished watching all the episodes

Am I the only one who thinks they took the bible of "He-Ro, son of he-man" and looted it in bunches, for this series?

Skeletor imprisoned for 10 years who awakens, King Adam who adopts a child raised in the jungle and passes him the sword of power, the evil-warriors enhanced by Skeletor, etc. ...

If only they had the courage to change the names, instead of reconfirming the historical figures in the basic roles, it would have been evident

Anyway a series that I liked very, very brave, and certainly modern.

Design a bit out of my taste (especially clothes and various objects, too baroque and unnecessarily twisted), but beautiful history and rhythm.

Who knows why they released this immediately all, while "Revelation" broke it in two (and we still don't know when they will release the last 5 episodes)?
    Gesù è venuto per salvarci dal peccato, ma continuo a vedere peccatori.
    Thor ci protegge dai demoni e dai giganti di ghiaccio, ed in effetti non ne vedo in giro.
    --------------------
    Gesù è nato da una coppia di fatto, con la fecondazione assistita
    --------------------
    Luca Bizzarri: "Non posso pensare bipartisan, io penso per i fa**i miei"

Quote Originally Posted by fa.gian. View Post
    Who knows why they released this immediately all, while "Revelation" broke it in two (and we still don't know when they will release the last 5 episodes)?
    Only a guess but I think it was because this show was aimed more at kids. They're quicker to lose interest and move on to new things.

Revelations...well we waited this long for a new show. Might as well make us wait a while longer for the second half. Why? Well people here have reasoned (and I'm inclined to agree) that it's money. Making you keep your membership by spreading a series out?
    "A fool always finds a greater fool to admire him."

This show is supposedly a 26 episode order, so it is still being released in parts. Whether it is actually called parts or seasons officially doesn't really matter. Revelation is only 10 episodes unless it gets renewed. The split up I think in part is to help with toy sales, which is another reason Revelation will likely get a Halloween or Thanksgiving second part release rather than wait until January where it doesn't help as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    The split up I think in part is to help with toy sales, which is another reason Revelation will likely get a Halloween or Thanksgiving second part release rather than wait until January where it doesn't help as much.
    I agree that this is a probable reason
    "A fool always finds a greater fool to admire him."

Quote Originally Posted by ProteinNerd View Post
    Not sure if anyone else has mentioned and it’s probably obvious but they have essentially melded the comic “Savage He-Man” from a tribe and Filmation canon “Prince Adam He-Man”

Quite well done imo
    Yes, very well done. I've been developing a MOTU movie in my mind for years (it helps me fall asleep), but I could never quite figure out how to mesh savage He-Man and Prince Adam.

I had a similar idea where Adam was taken by Skeletor at a young age but Adam is jettisoned from the ship during a chase sequence and falls into the abyss. Everyone presumes him dead, but young Adam would eventually climb out of the pit (possibly with help from Zoar or Zodak or something) and stumble upon Castle Grayskull hidden in the overgrown jungle (there he would meet Sorceress and get the sword, armor, etc.). By the end of the film he is reunited with his family and takes his rightful place as Prince of Eternia (while keeping the He-Man a secret from everyone but a select few). Or something along those lines.

Anyway, I thought they nailed it in the new show.

Widget
    I'm almost done with this show, 8 of the 10 episodes down. It's so different! But I feel like pushing my flexibility to try the NA series a couple years ago helped.

As recently mentioned above, it's really impressive how they've successfully combined the tribal He-Man with the royal heir Prince Adam. I think I've come across a similar idea hinted in a fan fiction story somewhere, but the new show makes it work well.

I like how the characters relate to this version of Castle Greyskull, it addresses an issue that I've always felt got missed. If the secrets of Castle Greyskull need to be protected, and are the source of the main hero's power, what good is it to always be based in a city some distance away, always leaving the Castle unwatched and undefended. As much as I like the MYP version, I don't remember if they even bothered to have some of the Masters or royal guard always on rotation to watch the place at all times for attempted break-ins.

It is immensely satisfying that the hero characters settle in, in the castle; basing themselves out of it and exploring it's environs.
    It's a pretty impressive feat to give the interior of the castle more exposure, while at the same time not taking away the mystery of it because they're always there. There's the weird visuals, the sense of the interior being exterior, it having an extra-dimensional quality, preserves it's mystical essence even though we see it a lot more. Does anyone get the impression that there's a little bit of Hogwarts in this new version of the castle?

It's interesting to compare the relationship of Adam with He-Man, and with King Randor, to previous He-Man and the Masters of the Universe shows; Filmation and MYP. The Filmation version seems to advocate the nobility of Adam as self sacrificing of his Prince Adam identity, that the emphasis on the good of what He-Man does is totally at the expense of Adam's dignity in the eyes of others. The MYP show seemed to address Adam's insecurites at the expense of He-Man, but then I think ignores the issue after paying lip service early. Am I remembering that well at all? I thought I remember Filmation Adam being very devoted to his father, the MYP Adam being similarly so but with a sense of his own needs as well. The Netflix version has quite a surprising moment between Adam and Randor in the eighth episode.

I understand the rationale and concern of Randor trying to be noble and protect the power Greyskull from being abused and misused, but there's something troubling about him ordering his guards to forcibly take the power sword away from Adam, especially without listening to his son first and understanding the situation better. I personally enjoyed the defiance of Adam in the face of royal decree and a "father knows best" attempt at asserting boundaries; but I also wonder at that in this version of the show that is being targeted more for the younger generation. Does anyone have thoughts on the different versions of Adam and He-Man and their respect for authority versus their respect for their own power and identity in the face of parental authority and the law of the land?

Evil Master of Fluffiness skullking's Avatar
    Have only seen 8/10 for this show, but I'm digging it. I really dig skeletor, and his crew (Kronus, Pre-vil-Lyn, and Pre-astman). A really cool version of MOTU, I hope others are enjoying it too.

Quote Originally Posted by skullking View Post
    Have only seen 8/10 for this show, but I'm digging it. I really dig skeletor, and his crew (Kronus, Pre-vil-Lyn, and Pre-astman). A really cool version of MOTU, I hope others are enjoying it too.
    Next to the Alcala, this is my favorite version of Skeletor.

His voice, attitude, and, especially, design are incredible!
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

I finally got around to watching this. I loved it. I suspected from the moment that Kevin Smith was announced for Revelations it would be pure garbage and it was (I would have loved to be wrong). I had hoped that since this was flying under the radar so to speak while Revelations got all the attention this would turn out well, and I believe it did.

I see some people with a limited ability to process nuance ask "How can you give this a pass for being so radically different while trashing Revelations?" and the answer is this show was up front about the fact that it was going to be different.

It made a lot choices I didn't like or agree with, but nothing I found morally offensive like I did with Revelations. I detected no "agenda" in this show. The character and story changes didn't feel enforced. They felt natural for this show.

So let's start with the negatives.

Cons:

I hate Teela's design. Nothing about it says Teela. It's Visual Design Sin 101 to take comic book, action figures, or cartoon characters and change color schemes or take away all their recognized design elements. Giving her red hair would have at least kept a visual cue to the past.

Ditto with the Sorceress. I got a 200X vibe from the Teela and the Sorceress' design. I like the 200X Sorceress' design just not as Teela Na. I think keeping her design more fantasy would have been a nice contrast between the Sci-Fi and Fantasy element.

I fundamentally don't like gender swapped Ram Man. I don't mind Ram Maam's character in this, but I see no reason for the gender swap.

Orko as a robot is weird.

MAA is the biggest character change. I don't like it at all, but I don't hate it to the point where it ruins the show.

I'm not crazy about Havoc Powered Evil Lyn's design. I think her default design was much better.

It's weird for me to see an Evil Lyn and Keldor not romantically linked.

Pros:

The voice acting was notably better than Revelations.

I love Adam in this. If Adam doesn't work, MOTU doesn't work. I like his design, and I like his personality. It feels like Adam and there was no mention of him being a man or "Girls get this done better" crap. That was refreshing.

Cringer. I love Cringer. He has always been one of my top MOTU characters dating back to Filmation. I actually like Cringer more than Battle Cat. Seeing a Cringer that was more fatherly to Adam is different, but I like it. I like it a lot actually. I also enjoyed Cringer's wisdom and intelligence. Again, Mike Young Productions can go screw themselves for thinking a talking Cringer wouldn't work. It's worked in every iteration before and after yours.
    He's also got one of the funniest lines in the entire show "What's a back pack?"

Skeletor/Keldor. This Skeletor is great. I love his gimmick of making puns and lame jokes and no one laughs. I laughed out loud at some of his funnier moments. He also is very intelligent and threatening. He killed the Sorceress. In Revelations he got knocked on his *** by her and Evil Lyn had to be the one to blast the Sorceress back, because you can't have a male do that.

I would prefer more of the classic shoulder pads and the loin cloth, but I don't hate this design.

Evil Lyn. Yeah. She's great. Evil Lyn is always Evil Lyn. I've never seen a bad version of her in animation or live action.

Teela. I like seeing Teela as a magic user. We've never really explored that outside of some of the comics.

King Randor. He's much better in this. By ditching the secret identity stuff early on you get interaction between He-Man, Adam, and Randor we rarely get. It was a nice change. And Randor was not portrayed as unlikable in this. That would have been easy to do.

The Sorceress feels like her part has been beefed up nicely. I like that she's actively guiding them. She feels less like a background character in the first 10 episodes so far. Even though she's "dead" she's still interacting with the main cast quite a bit.

The animation is very good. I love the video game/Final Fantasy-esc sequences of their "fininshing moves". That's fun.

The score wasn't bad.

I love Snake Mountain's design.

The bad guys utilizing a dark version of the Power of Grayskull is different, and as an alternate take, I like it so far.

The writing on this show is also worlds better than Revelations. Most of the confrontations and action sequences had more thought put into them than anything in Revelations. The characters feel like friends. The humor was also quite funny and well written. The show aimed at kids is more mature, intelligent, and coherent than the show aimed at adults ironically.

I really enjoyed the family dynamic between Krass, Cringer, and Adam. "Go Tiger Tribe".

Other Observations:

The Snake Men get 2 overt references. One from Skeletor and one from Cringer. That can't be just random Easter Eggs.

The Snake Mountain Microphone gag was hilarious. Is this the funniest joke in the history of MOTU animation? Quite possibly.

Panthor was awesome.

Evil Lyn channeling Horokoth was a nice deep cut.

Specifying the difference between a Sorceress and a Witch was cool.

I don't think the show is foreshadowing She-Ra or Adora although clearly there was a spot in the family portrait for Adora. I think with She-Ra's new Live Action show Mattel will opt to keep He-Man and She-Ra separate for the time being. I sort of wonder if that's why the Snakemen got the name drops and not the Horde.

----------

I really enjoyed this new interpretation of He-Man. Adam/He-Man, Skeletor, Castle Grayskull, Snake Mountain, Eternos, Randor, Cringer, Evil Lyn, Trap Jaw, the Sorceress were all pretty recognizable to me even with some of the changes.

I like all the characters, the action, the animation, and the humor of the show.

I don't like the visual design of Teela, but I like her character so far.

I don't like the gender swap of Ram Man, but I didn't mind Krass.

I think motu is probably at its best when trying to appeal to kids. It's keep the humor and silliness, but with modern standards the bad guys can still be threatening and kill some red shirts.

All in all I quite enjoyed this and I am eagerly looking forward to the next batch of episodes. This was the most fun I've had with MOTU outside of the toys since the MYP series ended in the early 2000s. It's been a very long time.
    Last edited by Thrawn29; September 23, 2021 at 11:41pm.

My daughters and I just finished it. It was ok.

Court Magician
    Im conflicted on this one. I have been enjoying whats happening on the show, but Im not in love with the mobile game/Clash of Clans style. It feels too video-gamey. Everyone has their power thats on a 3 turn cooldown. And I do think they leaned too far into the sci-fi part of Masters, hardly any of the fantasy/Conan aspect. But I do like the story so far (on Ep 5) and I love that the power is shared with the other Masters. Harkens back to the old "moral of the story" bits from Filmation. The team is stronger if we share resources and work together. Something Revelation kinda dropped the ball on.

Teela starting out as the Sorceress already was awesome. Marrying the old jungle tribe and son-of-a-king He-Man origin is pretty bonkers and I loved it. Not feeling TrapJaw as of yet. Skeletor is amazing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn29 View Post
    I finally got around to watching this. I loved it. I suspected from the moment that Kevin Smith was announced for Revelations it would be pure garbage and it was (I would have loved to be wrong). I had hoped that since this was flying under the radar so to speak while Revelations got all the attention this would turn out well, and I believe it did.

I see some people with a limited ability to process nuance ask "How can you give this a pass for being so radically different while trashing Revelations?" and the answer is this show was up front about the fact that it was going to be different.

It made a lot choices I didn't like or agree with, but nothing I found morally offensive like I did with Revelations. I detected no "agenda" in this show. The character and story changes didn't feel enforced. They felt natural for this show.

So let's start with the negatives.

Cons:

I hate Teela's design. Nothing about it says Teela. It's Visual Design Sin 101 to take comic book, action figures, or cartoon characters and change color schemes or take away all their recognized design elements. Giving her red hair would have at least kept a visual cue to the past.

Ditto with the Sorceress. I got a 200X vibe from the Teela and the Sorceress' design. I like the 200X Sorceress' design just not as Teela Na. I think keeping her design more fantasy would have been a nice contrast between the Sci-Fi and Fantasy element.

I fundamentally don't like gender swapped Ram Man. I don't mind Ram Maam's character in this, but I see no reason for the gender swap.

Orko as a robot is weird.

MAA is the biggest character change. I don't like it at all, but I don't hate it to the point where it ruins the show.

I'm not crazy about Havoc Powered Evil Lyn's design. I think her default design was much better.

It's weird for me to see an Evil Lyn and Keldor not romantically linked.

Pros:

The voice acting was notably better than Revelations.

I love Adam in this. If Adam doesn't work, MOTU doesn't work. I like his design, and I like his personality. It feels like Adam and there was no mention of him being a man or "Girls get this done better" crap. That was refreshing.

Cringer. I love Cringer. He has always been one of my top MOTU characters dating back to Filmation. I actually like Cringer more than Battle Cat. Seeing a Cringer that was more fatherly to Adam is different, but I like it. I like it a lot actually. I also enjoyed Cringer's wisdom and intelligence. Again, Mike Young Productions can go screw themselves for thinking a talking Cringer wouldn't work. It's worked in every iteration before and after yours.
    He's also got one of the funniest lines in the entire show "What's a back pack?"

Skeletor/Keldor. This Skeletor is great. I love his gimmick of making puns and lame jokes and no one laughs. I laughed out loud at some of his funnier moments. He also is very intelligent and threatening. He killed the Sorceress. In Revelations he got knocked on his *** by her and Evil Lyn had to be the one to blast the Sorceress back, because you can't have a male do that.

I would prefer more of the classic shoulder pads and the loin cloth, but I don't hate this design.

Evil Lyn. Yeah. She's great. Evil Lyn is always Evil Lyn. I've never seen a bad version of her in animation or live action.

Teela. I like seeing Teela as a magic user. We've never really explored that outside of some of the comics.

King Randor. He's much better in this. By ditching the secret identity stuff early on you get interaction between He-Man, Adam, and Randor we rarely get. It was a nice change. And Randor was not portrayed as unlikable in this. That would have been easy to do.

The Sorceress feels like her part has been beefed up nicely. I like that she's actively guiding them. She feels less like a background character in the first 10 episodes so far. Even though she's "dead" she's still interacting with the main cast quite a bit.

The animation is very good. I love the video game/Final Fantasy-esc sequences of their "fininshing moves". That's fun.

The score wasn't bad.

I love Snake Mountain's design.

The bad guys utilizing a dark version of the Power of Grayskull is different, and as an alternate take, I like it so far.

The writing on this show is also worlds better than Revelations. Most of the confrontations and action sequences had more thought put into them than anything in Revelations. The characters feel like friends. The humor was also quite funny and well written. The show aimed at kids is more mature, intelligent, and coherent than the show aimed at adults ironically.

I really enjoyed the family dynamic between Krass, Cringer, and Adam. "Go Tiger Tribe".

Other Observations:

The Snake Men get 2 overt references. One from Skeletor and one from Cringer. That can't be just random Easter Eggs.

The Snake Mountain Microphone gag was hilarious. Is this the funniest joke in the history of MOTU animation? Quite possibly.

Panthor was awesome.

Evil Lyn channeling Horokoth was a nice deep cut.

Specifying the difference between a Sorceress and a Witch was cool.

I don't think the show is foreshadowing She-Ra or Adora although clearly there was a spot in the family portrait for Adora. I think with She-Ra's new Live Action show Mattel will opt to keep He-Man and She-Ra separate for the time being. I sort of wonder if that's why the Snakemen got the name drops and not the Horde.

----------

I really enjoyed this new interpretation of He-Man. Adam/He-Man, Skeletor, Castle Grayskull, Snake Mountain, Eternos, Randor, Cringer, Evil Lyn, Trap Jaw, the Sorceress were all pretty recognizable to me even with some of the changes.

I like all the characters, the action, the animation, and the humor of the show.

I don't like the visual design of Teela, but I like her character so far.

I don't like the gender swap of Ram Man, but I didn't mind Krass.

I think motu is probably at its best when trying to appeal to kids. It's keep the humor and silliness, but with modern standards the bad guys can still be threatening and kill some red shirts.

All in all I quite enjoyed this and I am eagerly looking forward to the next batch of episodes. This was the most fun I've had with MOTU outside of the toys since the MYP series ended in the early 2000s. It's been a very long time.
    Did you get a Zordon training the Power Rangers vibe? The more I think of it the more I get a Power Rangers vibe. Team powering up and getting powers/costumes from a central power guided by a holographic entity.
    I am no longer a widget.

Quote Originally Posted by burnside986 View Post

Did you get a Zordon training the Power Rangers vibe? The more I think of it the more I get a Power Rangers vibe. Team powering up and getting powers/costumes from a central power guided by a holographic entity.
    There was definitely a Power Rangers vibe. I didn't mind since I felt it was an extension of the original Motu transformation concept.

It is still hard for me to get used to "Lightning strikes!" as I think of Jayce & the Wheeled Warriors each time.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    It is still hard for me to get used to "Lightning strikes!" as I think of Jayce & the Wheeled Warriors each time.
    Chris Hemsworth " I'm not playing he-man , the character's too similar to Thor"

Rob David " hold my beer "

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

This is the first iteration of HM/MOTU that my kids have really gotten into. It certainly made the viewing experience more enjoyable for me. They're too old for toys but if these characters come to Masterverse, I will have a hard time resisting the urge to buy them all.

Well done, Mattel Studios. It seems some care went into this show; the animation, character design, voice acting, story and music are all top-notch. The intro and theme song get us pumped up every time.

Call Your Champion Voodoo Magic's Avatar
    So I finally finished it. I liked a lot of it. Some of it I didn't.

Visually it was gorgeous. I enjoyed the animation. It was quite humorous in places. Some episodes were very good, the humor carried me quite far, but some episodes were a bit of a slog in the middle, which I stayed with regardless only because I'm a MOTU fan, which is concerning.

The run-of-the-mill Voltron / Power Rangers / yada yada yada Team Transformation sequences have been waaaaaay overplayed. It kind of takes the individuality away with what makes MOTU special in my humble opinion. And we end with the villains getting their own transformation sequences now too? Oy.

The whole Force & Dark Side - Power of Grayskull & Power of Havoc feels been there and done that too. I don't think these were changes for the better guys, but to its detriment unfortunately.

My favorite character here might be Ram Ma’am. I found her quite entertaining and charming.

My least favorite is probably Orko. Sorry they did you so wrong Orko!!

The most underutilized perhaps is that cute cub! Perhaps that should have been Cringer!

So overall it's decent. I'm happy it exists, happy I watched it, but likely won't revisit it anytime soon, maybe when the next season starts as a refresher. It doesn't hold a candle to the Filmation series. Maybe if it stayed closer to its original concept it would have?

I wonder if this will have the impact Mattel is hoping for, a strong identity on its own to lure in a new generation of fans... versus just force-fed by old fans that have become parents. Guess we'll see.
    ~ CALL YOUR CHAMPION ~

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo Magic View Post
    So I finally finished it. I liked a lot of it. Some of it I didn't.

Visually it was gorgeous. I enjoyed the animation. It was quite humorous in places. Some episodes were very good, the humor carried me quite far, but some episodes were a bit of a slog in the middle, which I stayed with regardless only because I'm a MOTU fan, which is concerning.

The run-of-the-mill Voltron / Power Rangers / yada yada yada Team Transformation sequences have been waaaaaay overplayed. It kind of takes the individuality away with what makes MOTU special in my humble opinion. And we end with the villains getting their own transformation sequences now too? Oy.

The whole Force & Dark Side - Power of Grayskull & Power of Havoc feels been there and done that too. I don't think these were changes for the better guys, but to its detriment unfortunately.

My favorite character here might be Ram Ma’am. I found her quite entertaining and charming.

My least favorite is probably Orko. Sorry they did you so wrong Orko!!

The most underutilized perhaps is that cute cub! Perhaps that should have been Cringer!

So overall it's decent. I'm happy it exists, happy I watched it, but likely won't revisit it anytime soon, maybe when the next season starts as a refresher. It doesn't hold a candle to the Filmation series. Maybe if it stayed closer to its original concept it would have?

I wonder if this will have the impact Mattel is hoping for, a strong identity on its own to lure in a new generation of fans... versus just force-fed by old fans that have become parents. Guess we'll see.
    All valid critiques. I do think this is probably their best play to bring MOTU into the 21st century. Barbarians in their furry underwear just aren't popular anymore. The aesthetic was big in the 70s and 80s, but everyone seems to be more obsessed with tech these days. I do feel they did a good job marrying technology with magic.

Also very much with you on the cute little kitty from episode 1; I thought for sure he'd come back to play a larger role. Ram Ma'am is also one of my favorite characters -- she's adorable. I love that they're not afraid to show the female characters having flaws and making mistakes (in addition to being otherwise very competent). When Krass was scared inside the ship, it really made me like the character more (as opposed to her just being a badass and saving Adam every episode). Ditto for Teela; she's badass yes, but also has insecurities and makes mistakes.

All the characters are cute in this show. Everyone was ugly in Revelation for some reason. People like cute. We want cute. Give us the cute!

S

I disagree there. That stuff is very Kamen Rider/Super Sentai/Precureesq and I'm all for MoTU taking influence from that kind of thing.

I've watched this series about 4 times now. I tend to watch a few episodes every night before bed now. It's a fun and comforting way to wind down and just relax.

Early in my first watch, I thought the same thing. Once I got to the Cringer and proto-Beast Man (I haven't gotten used to typing his name yet) origin episode, it all made sense and the concept works great. We still get a bit of the old Cringer in his transformation scenes... he looks frightened/concerned in the lightning strikes paying homage to the old Filmation transformation.

I would like to see more of the kitten/cub from the first episode in future stories.
    Tweeterhead Statue Want List: He-Man 2.0, Battle Cat, Panthor, Tung Lashor, Rattlor, Zodak (200X style), She-Ra 2.0, Sorceress, Buzz Off, Webstor, Kobra Khan, King Hiss, Scare Glow

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn29 View Post
    I've seen a lot of people saying this, but her design actually mantains visual cues from the original Teela. Just look at her white & gold bodysuit with a high collar:

74d4ca2430e847166e1dff0d9ff68eb2.png

8 episodes in, but I'm digging this series, more so than Revelation. I think all the hullabaloo around that show would be less if all the episodes were released at once for that series, but I have been pleasantly surprised by this reboot.

Heroic Warrior
    My main takeaway from this show is that I like it, but it's just not close enough to what I liked about MOTU to really count as MOTU content for me. I like it as it's own thing, but I still wish they'd just work a tad bit closer to the formula than they did.

For example, Duncan is basically unrecognizable as a character, and essentially just in name only. Now, I don't mind his character at all, but Duncan was also a character I really liked in the original Filmation show and others, and by so drastically changing his character I am effectively robbed of it.

And of course, my always fave, Orko. Luckily he avoided my initial fears of him just being a C3PO ripoff (for the most part), but still, it's literally not Orko. I like Ork-0 as a character, but only really as his own. The actual Orko apparently exists in this universe, but it also seems to be going for this bizarre AU where Orko never struggled with his magic and thus became infinitely more arrogant than the mild hints we got in the original show. And that's interesting! But also I know it's not going to be resolved, or at best it IS resolved but we then never see him again.

idk, I really just wish they'd properly explore some of the unresolved threads from the franchise before switching over to new ones. I know at least one person who was upset that Keldor was human in this, as it meant they wouldn't explore the connotations of him being half-gar. I'm still waiting for a franchise iteration that gives Orko an actual character arc that doesn't completely overhaul some aspect of either his personality, backstory, or both. There will inevitably be characters that just never show up in this show, which will disappoint their fans, especially if they haven't appeared in other shows before this.

basically verdict: I like this show, but there are things about it that'd I'd rather just stay in this iteration and not get carried over to the new one

Sorry if I repeated anything from previous posts. I can't remember what I've posted where and the post history system is utterly broken last I checked.