Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Netflix He-Man & the Masters of the Universe Season #1 Talkback Thread *SPOILERS*

Netflix He-Man & the Masters of the Universe Season #1 Talkback Thread *SPOILERS*

Expect *SPOILERS* in this thread for the first 10 episodes of season 1 of the new CGI Netflix cartoon He-Man & the Masters of the Universe after they debut on Netflix.

Additional He-Man.Org Rules and Guidelines for This Thread - Please Read!

There has been a lot of discussion on where specific topics to be discussed land within this thread. This forum is intended to be all-ages and more light-hearted in spirit and is not to be dragged down into the typical debates about sex, politics, race and religion we see online often leading to anger and hurt feelings. Those topics can still be discussed, however they will be discussed in the Tar Swamp where there is a more open, adult platform for those topics.
    To help keep the forums fun and friendly, the admins and moderators have conversed and decided guidelines on what can and can’t be discussed in this thread and what will be referred to the Tar Swamp.

What can be discussed:
    • The specific reasons why we enjoy the show
    • Constructive reasons why we dislike the show
    • Reasons why we like/enjoy specific characters
    • Constructive reasons why we dislike characters
    • Relationships between characters (all inclusive and diversity - heterosexual, homosexual, pan, etc.) that are clearly defined in the cartoon

Topics for the Tar Swamp:
    • Debates about sex, politics and religion
    • Debates about race (discussion on race swapping of characters is allowed, but must not be political in nature)
    • Debates about morality and any sexually related topic, or any politics associated with sexuality
    • Speculation about a character’s sexuality
    Edit / DeleteEdit Post Quick reply to this messageReply Reply With QuoteReply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message

Heroic Warrior
    Only seen the first two episodes so far and won't be able to view the rest until tonight, but so far I've liked it a lot. It's nice to have another wholesome take again. It does also have an 'edge' to it too.

Modulock is some kind of name for a game in this canon, funny.

I noticed Marlena in the painting, but she seems to be absent in present day...killed in the coup perhaps?

Adam finally has a friend who actually listens to him....and helps bring out the best in the lad when they act as a team, without the use of the power sword.

I kind of want more of Kitten, hell he'd make a great pre-battle cat cringer in his own right, and is 'truer' to the character than the actual Cringer is.

Keldor: Man of murder!

Teela's not as totally annoyed with Adam as other versions are.

Wish we'd seen more of the Tribe...it doesn't really add up to much with only one tribe member yelling "magic" and going mental over intruders...there's a whole world there and it just kind of gets left behind very quickly.
    Last edited by Cameron Samurai; September 16, 2021 at 07:28am.

Widget
    So far, I've also seen only two episodes. I would only be able to see the others later.

The story is pretty interesting. I've liked the characters a lot.

Although it seems the staff revealed information from the last episodes in the comic-con.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Samurai View Post
    I noticed Marlena in the painting, but she seems to be absent in present day...killed in the coup perhaps?
    However, Randor only mentioned that his son and his brother died for the sword. So, maybe Marlena was absent for other reason.

I like how Krass' transformation, comes with abilities that actualy help make ramming her enemies a practical option and give her more to do than simply charge forward. Also like her character.

Also David Kaye doing his best Liam Neeson impression as Cringer.

On episode 5 and I think someone on staff must be a fan of Super Robot Wars, cause I'm pretty sure Teel just did the Akashic Buster.
    Last edited by A Dalek; September 16, 2021 at 09:03am.

Heroic Warrior
    Found time in the busy day to catch Episodes 3-5 (was mid-way through episode six when the family dropped 'round)

I think the last half of the four-part pilot was a bit rushed, and tried cramming in too much, trying to serve up some semblance of plot but largely devoting itself to the action, the characters end up name-dropping their action figure aliases in some really hammy ways.

I was a bit confused towards the end of episode four when Keldor absorbs the power of havoc and dives into the abyss with his minions...they somehow end up transported to Snake Mountain, it was handled so sloppily I thought they too had established a base beneath Castle Grayskull

I'm also wondering who thought it was a bright idea to even have two power sources in Grayskull to begin with? I guess that's why there ended up being a royal decree not to use the powers after King Grayskull.

Some 'gross' humour, apparently Ram Ma'am likes to urinate in her own helmet(or...worse?)...and Adam almost does the same
    Last edited by Cameron Samurai; September 16, 2021 at 10:52am.

Heroic Warrior
    Just finished binging the entire 10 episodes (am I the first?)

This should have been called something else. It really annoys me it has the exact name as the filmation series.

Apart from that this thing was fantasic. Did get a little rushed / shaky when it gets to greyskull (episodes 4-5) but the rest was really well paced.

Easily better than She-ra (which I thought was drek) and revelations (which was disappointing.)

The characters (for the most part) are very different from their normal counterparts, but are really well written. Send these guys over to the revelations writers room - they know how to write women who are tough without being b******, and without emasculating the men. Adam is presented really well here.
    I love this cringer. Really refreshing that they took him in a different direction to his normal depiction.

The villains in this are probably the most dangerous & competent they have been in any of the media, save maybe some of the comics. They are far tougher and more threatening here than in revelations. None of them were played as stupid boobs.

I hated the whole shared power thing when I saw it in the trailers, but it ended up working really well. The villains also getting it was great.

The easer eggs actually felt like easter eggs rather than fan service. The two-bad hint was a welcome surprise. The microphone at snake mountain is possibly the greatest easter egg of all time.

Did we really get a new adventures tease right at the end? If they pull that into it I'll... well I dunno what I'll do but it would be awesome.

Overall this was way, way, way better than I was expecting it to be. Bring on more episodes!

I really enjoyed this series and I think kids will too. :-) I'm very much looking forward to the next batch of episodes and toys.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrskeletor View Post
    Did we really get a new adventures tease right at the end?
    Haven't gotten to the end yet, but I did notice the callback in episode three Duncan made to Grayskull possibly containing a spaceship, which was part of the early plans for the Son of He-Man series

Just watched the entire thing! And yes it was very very enjoyable! I liked it ALOT! Awesome Easter eggs and fun take on old favorites.

I saw it, and I loved it! Now, I want more!!

Heroic Warrior
    So I’ve watched the first two episodes and am reserving judgement until I’ve finished the whole thing. So far though I’m not loving it other really than cringer (his voice is awesome). My 12 yo isn’t blown away either but we will stick with it and maybe change our minds

My wife and I are 3 episodes in and so far it's better than Revelation for both of us. Kronis and Cringer are fantastic.

I like the tech/sci fi aspects of the show. Anytime that's front and center with MOTU, I enjoy it.

Heroic Warrior King Daddy Bo-Hog's Avatar
    Four episodes in and I'm really enjoying it much more than I thought I would. This is how a kids' show should be done. Only slightly child-like humor mixed with interesting and genuinely good character interpretation make it engaging to an adult fan as well. Being a kids' show doesn't mean it has to be juvenile (like a certain SPOP show), and so far I'm not seen any of that. We'll see where it goes for the rest of the season, but for now, I really like it, though I'm not a fan of the theme song.

I think its interesting to see a more technologically advanced version of MOTU. Hopefully in the future we'll see some version that is more like the original mini-comics--more barbaric. I'd say there's some indication of that with the Masterverse New Eternia line.

Indeed, it is a great time to be a MOTU fan.

Heroic Warrior
    Having just finished it...yeah, colour me impressed. There weren't many episodes, I think the show could have benefited from a few more, but that meant there was no real 'filler' either and the serialization was great. Randor and Adam had a brief but satisfying arc, and they took the changes to Orko and weaved yet another heartwarming and sympathetic take on the character.

They clearly have a plan for more, and I hope they get them

Eternian Metal Head Skeletor-81's Avatar
    I was really reluctant to watch it but I figured meh, it's still MOTU so I gave it a shot. Not a fan of CGI animation but the story line is good so far. I'm only two episodes in.
    "I have great faith in fools, self-confidence my friends call it." -Edgar Allen Poe

I'm 5 episodes in and I absolutely love this series! I had high expectations for this show and it isn't letting me down at all. Yes, it's aimed at children, but there's stuff in here to enjoy for any age. I think it's a delight for MOTU fans, old or new.

Random thoughts and comments so far...

Adam and Krash are orphans and raised by a Tiger Clan which is cool on a lot of levels. It pays homage to the original mini comics where Adam leaves his jungle tribe to go on an adventure, but roots it in the rest of the larger continuity. Krash being Adam's best friend and potential love interest is a cool twist. I like Krash a lot more than I liked Ram Man in any previous incarnation. Cringer is awesome as the mentor, but I kinda wish he had a different name (the Kitty character fits Cringer better). It was fun seeing the tribe equally against magic and technology.

Teela is still herself to the core, but it's great seeing her use magic earlier in her journey. I like how Teela still challenges yet compliments Adam in multiple ways.

Duncan is a lot different than his previous incarnations, but I like him... I think I like mentor Duncan from 200X and the recent DC Comics a bit more right now, but this one is still really good.

Teela and Duncan being previous apprentices of Evelyn and Kronis is a cool layer to add to the depth of the story. A nice bonus is discovering Kronis was the previous Man-At-Arms!!! I love how in the fight he gets his jaw broken and without proper healthcare he has to rig a metal contraption to help him heal... a nod to things to come.

Randor's anger and distrust is justified, considering he has lost so much. We know what happened to Keldor and Adam, but where's Marlena??? Another version where she's sidelined again. Once again, 200X shows its superiority by doing right by our Earthwoman turned alien Queen.

The Modulok game mention was funny, but I hope we actually get to see him as a character eventually.

PANTHOR!!! He looked great, but it sucks that he wasn't his own character, just a shadow spell. I need him to become real soon.

Although I love that Keldor is in this, I still lament the loss of the plight of the Gars in this version. That was an awesome added dimension that made 200X Keldor/Skeletor absolutely amazing as a character. For those who like just a force of evil, this is a good rendition of that. As Keldor he was surprisingly ruthless... as Skeletor he is a bit softened with a little of that Filmation charm. It also seems that Keldor and Evelyn don't have the same romantic history as most of the other versions, which is something else I've always loved with them. The Lyn and Kronis thing is different, but I don't hate it. I like how capable Kronis is and not being used as comic relief.

Speaking of Gars and skin color, what's with Krash? Sometimes she looks various shades of purple or blue and other times she's peach? This color change seems to happen at random, but maybe it's a detail I haven't picked up on? Like when she removes her helmet? What's with that special gem... is she actually a princess from Etheria? Maybe besides Adora, she will be another connection that will link this series to SPOP down the line?

Besides Panthor, I also yelled out in delight at seeing the new Snake Mountain design. I never realized it before, but I think I love every version of Snake Mountain ever done... and somehow it's comforting? There was also a slight reference to the Snake Men, which gives me hope to seeing them soon. Oh, and I really like this version of Castle Grayskull. It's weird... it's trippy... but it works!

Alright... I have to get a little work done and then onward to episode 6!!!

P.S. Just saw ep 6. Cute. Biggest realization is that that the two reoccurring comic relief guards have blue skin and purple skin. I kept looking for a Gar connection or just a random way to show multiple cultures when I just realized the obvious: They're going to become Two-Bad!!! I liked the 200X mercenaries angle, but being competitive palace guards is a fun direction with new possibilities.
    Last edited by AlexApprobation; September 16, 2021 at 05:10pm.
    Tweeterhead Statue Want List: He-Man 2.0, Battle Cat, Panthor, Tung Lashor, Rattlor, Zodak (200X style), She-Ra 2.0, Sorceress, Buzz Off, Webstor, Kobra Khan, King Hiss, Scare Glow

Just reiterating, love the show. The ideas are about new and interesting as the 2011 Thundercats reboot was - especially the almost Captain Marvel-style sharing of the powers. Making Adam a lost prince without memories, having grown up in a tribe mostly raised by a wise Cringer? Love it. His and Krass' relationship is also great. Teela being a Sorceress-in-training from humble beginnings, and Duncan now a mechanic who fell in with the wrong crowd but has a heart of gold... Nice! Cringer to me is the standout character, his tragic backstory, the fact he embraced a name given to him as a mocking insult, to remind himself it is OK not to fight when not needed. And how he is like a mentor to Adam, while in older shows he was more of a pet.
    Ork-0 being a robot with the memories of the original Great Orko, having to come to terms with it and yet mastering magic to help his friends was a great character development over the season.
    I liked how Randor is a strict but good king, he clearly was hurt badly by losing his brother and son at the same time (and likely, his wife too). I liked that he doesn't immediately OK with Adam for using a forbidden, dangerous magical force, but learns to trust him with it.
    Keldor first fighting his curse, then embracing it, using it to power himself, and then cleverly binding his treacherous minions to his own power... a classy move. He is also at the same time, funny and ruthless. The voice is closer to Filmation Skeletor and far more fitting than Mark Hamill.
    While Evil-Lyn was important in all older shows, I think this is the first series that actually develops Kronis as a character properly, and I like the added touch that he used to be Man-at-Arms. I like their dynamic, while they might bicker they are an effective team. R'Quazz is a very creepy, almost Gollum-like Beast Man, simple yet deeply evil. I especially love how all the Masters have a connection to one of the villains - Duncan was Kronis' apprentice for example.
    There are some beat little touches - Tuvar and Baddrah as recurring characters, two bickering royal guards? I wonder if they will end up with Skeletor in the future... Modulok is a sport? And all the mention of the Snake Men, I think we will eventually see them too. So are Merfolk and Avion too mentioned!
    However for now, I am glad CGI limits the cast to be smaller. This leaves them time to develop them properly. And the animation is amazing indeed.

I am curious how this is continued. I wonder if the "On to New Adventures" line from Sorceress may be more than a fun nod to New Adventures of He-Man...

Quote Originally Posted by AlexApprobation View Post
    PANTHOR!!! He looked great, but it sucks that he wasn't his own character, just a shadow spell. I need him to become real soon.
    Skeletor says "Someone get me a Battle Cat for my birthday!" after seeing He-Man ride him. So maybe he will get his own kitty later.

Besides Panthor, I also yelled out in delight at seeing the new Snake Mountain design. I never realized it before, but I think I love every version of Snake Mountain ever done... and somehow it's comforting? There was also a slight reference to the Snake Men, which gives me hope to seeing them soon. Oh, and I really like this version of Castle Grayskull. It's weird... it's trippy... but it works!
    I am really hoping this Snake Mountain gets a playset, it is simply amazing. And yes, later on Battle Cat references King Hisss and the Snake Men even more as "apex warriors who almost snuffed out all life on Eternia".

Duncan is a lot different than his previous incarnations, but I like him... I think I like mentor Duncan from 200X and the recent DC Comics a bit more right now, but this one is still really good.
    I feel the role of 200X Duncan is mostly taken by Cringer in this iteration, who raised Adam for the last 10 years. It will be interesting to see how Randor and Cringer interact as both are sort of his father. Much like Po in Kung Fu Panda having 2 dads.

Speaking of Gars and skin color, what's with Krash? Sometimes she looks various shades of purple or blue and other times she's peach? This color change seems to happen at random, but maybe it's a detail I haven't picked up on? Like when she removes her helmet? What's with that special gem... is she actually a princess from Etheria? Maybe besides Adora, she will be another connection that will link this series to SPOP down the line?
    Well Tuvar has blue skin... could be he is a Gar in this version.
    Her name is Krass, btw. And she has light purple/pink skin, so she is also not a human. The helmet is explained briefly later - she lost her parents in a ship crash, and spent 3 hours in the wreck before the Tiger Tribe found her. The helmet was her father's and it saved her life, that's why she always wears it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos88 View Post
    My wife and I are 3 episodes in and so far it's better than Revelation for both of us. Kronis and Cringer are fantastic.
    Yeah, rewatching the MOTU 2002 show, and now this, has helped to almost put the terrible Revelation out of my mind. Also, I needed like 3 days to watch that, I binged all of this in one day. Sadly, I gotta go back and watch the next 5 eventually, since I do want to know how it ends.

Quote Originally Posted by dan1980 View Post
    So I’ve watched the first two episodes and am reserving judgement until I’ve finished the whole thing. So far though I’m not loving it other really than cringer (his voice is awesome). My 12 yo isn’t blown away either but we will stick with it and maybe change our minds
    Well that's David Kaye for ya'... He is a great voice actor with a large range of both heroic and villainous - Megatron on Beast Wars, Cronus on Class of the Titans, Optimus Prime on Transformers Animated. He is channeling Sean Connery here with Cringer, it's really great to listen to.
    Last edited by BB Shockwave; September 16, 2021 at 05:18pm.

We just finished it and our opinions were only solidified after finishing the entire 10 episodes. This show was just flat out more entertaining than Revelation and it nailed the characters. The Heroic Masters were likable (even Teela ) and the villains actually seemed like a legitimate threat. No scenes where Teela takes on multiple combatants without breaking a sweat to make your eyes roll here, instead the show highlights the importance of teamwork and it really works. I've never been a fan of the whole "We have the power!" angle, but the show pulls it off.

My only complaint is that I'd like to see more of Eternia in the next season. The mentions of Merfolk, Snake Men and the people of Avion hinted at the larger world but I want to see it! Looking forward to next season.

Edit: It was mentioned before, but what the hell was that 'joke' about Krass ******* in her helmet? Who wrote that?!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Surprisingly, I enjoyed this more than MOTU Revelation.

I particularly liked the Evil Warriors and Cringer.

I'm VERY curious to see more of this world. Maybe we'll get an explanation as to why the moon is screwed up and where is Marlena?

The Official 200X Sorceress vs 200X Evil-Lyn 2 Pack Support Thread
    The Blonde Teela Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • 200X Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

LOVED this show! Loved it! They are actually spending time developing characters, instead of just dumping them out there fully developed in filmation and 200X. I also like the anime like influences of team transformation, and the slower pace of development. Adam/he-man is the star, and the team gives me serious Shazam vibes. I don't mind the barbarian imagery be gone at all.

The only things I didn't like, is I think Ram-mam should have been Teela, and the Sorceress Teela should have been a separate/new character, who was the 'elderess's successor. Also, I would have ended the season with the dark masters driven out of Eternos, but that's just me. Anyway, I hope some of the haters give this show a chance, and watch all 10 episodes before hating on it. Loved the microphone joke, and all the other referencesto the old show.

I'm just going to have to admit to myself that I won't be getting much work done today, haha.

I just finished episode 7... proto-Beast Man is epic! I think I channeled my nephews and nieces when he appeared because I muttered, "Wow, he's scary" under my breath when he appeared. I'm constantly surprised at the levels of mature themes they were able to add into this show. This was the most disturbing addition yet. I loved it as a life-long horror loving adult, but I wonder how kids will take this episode?

I think the creators were concerned with this, so they added in an ultra silly B-story with Orko. Le sigh... this is the return of the goofy, foolish, prat-falling Orko I initially liked as a kid, but quickly grew to hate. I groaned so often out of irritation... they were doing so well in the first six episodes! Even his introductory episode wasn't this wonky. But Ork-O is now on the squad now... please let him be more like the episode 6 version than this one.

But the A-story... wonderful! Amazing on every level.

Quote Originally Posted by BB Shockwave View Post
    Skeletor says "Someone get me a Battle Cat for my birthday!" after seeing He-Man ride him. So maybe he will get his own kitty later.
    I need, need, need this to happen!

I feel the role of 200X Duncan is mostly taken by Cringer in this iteration, who raised Adam for the last 10 years. It will be interesting to see how Randor and Cringer interact as both are sort of his father. Much like Po in Kung Fu Panda having 2 dads.
    Yup, totally on Cringer in that mentor role similar to how 200X Duncan was. Good point on the potential upcoming 2 dads situation!

Well Tuvar has blue skin... could be he is a Gar in this version.
    Maybe. At this point I kinda hope they abandon Gars completely in this version. I'm fine with him just being a random blue skinned citizen who eventually becomes half of Two-Bad.

Her name is Krass, btw. And she has light purple/pink skin, so she is also not a human. The helmet is explained briefly later - she lost her parents in a ship crash, and spent 3 hours in the wreck before the Tiger Tribe found her. The helmet was her father's and it saved her life, that's why she always wears it.
    Good catch on "Krass." I remember from the promo stuff it started with a "K" and in the show it sounds like "Krash." Especially since she was apparently named that by the tribe via that accident. It probably is also a reference to "crass" as a personality trait. Eh, I'm sure this won't be the last time I call her "Krash" incorrectly, haha

Yeah, I totally get why she holds on to that helmet so close... very nice characterization. But I'm sure there's a bigger meaning and role for the helmet and especially the gem... that's what I was speculating on.

I was trying to pay more attention to her skin this episode... it seemed to be more various shades of pink, usually dark. But yeah, a few purples at times. I'm very curious what that's about.

My only complaint is that I'd like to see more of Eternia in the next season. The mentions of Merfolk, Snake Men and the people of Avion hinted at the larger world but I want to see it! Looking forward to next season.
    I'm also looking forward to the expanded people and cultures of the planet.

Edit: It was mentioned before, but what the hell was that 'joke' about Krass ******* in her helmet? Who wrote that?!
    This show is supposed to be for kids and kids like gross out body humor. They have to throw in stuff like that from time-to-time for the demographic. I could deal with that far easier than manic goofy Ork-O.
    Tweeterhead Statue Want List: He-Man 2.0, Battle Cat, Panthor, Tung Lashor, Rattlor, Zodak (200X style), She-Ra 2.0, Sorceress, Buzz Off, Webstor, Kobra Khan, King Hiss, Scare Glow

Hope this series does well although I wonder why Mattel doesn't have toys in store already.
    Princesses of Power enthusiast

Just finished it.

Wow, I did not expect to love it this much but here we are.

Just a great and fresh take on the whole mythos and characters.

LOVED the motivations/faults behind each character and that those faults turned into their strengths.

I didn't expect to actually laugh out loud at parts. The humor is great.

Changes I loved:

- Havoc, giving the bad guys their own power source to be the flip side of the good power source was a great idea
    - the entire backstory of adam and keldor and Randor thinking his son died
    - the fact that literally everyone KNOWS adam is He-man, including his dad
    - the son/father dynamic. Instead of always being disappointed in adam or wanting him to be more like he-man he wanted him NOT to be HM.
    - the characters powering up with their special weapons/totems
    - the motivations between the good and evil characters ala cringer hates beast man because he took his claws etc. it add another layer to everyone
    - the evilution of skeletor
    - the call backs/easter eggs.
    - the animation is great and looks amazing along with the voice acting.
    - I liked the voice acting even MORE than revelations which at times felt wooden.

Overall, just a top notch way to reboot the franchise.

So much to digest. I need to watch it again now.
    Last edited by King Kahn; September 16, 2021 at 08:04pm.
    cogito ergo doleo

Finished all 10 episodes... wow, that was wonderful! That's one hell of a cliffhanger. I wonder if this is really the last episode of the season or if the first 10 are just the first half?

I was VERY surprised at the Adam and Randor episode. I expected they were going to hold that until later, but I was pleasantly surprised they got it out of the way and still threw in complications for their further relationship.

We spend so much time with the Evil Masters in their regular forms that I was kinda let down by the transformation of Evil Lyn and Trap-Jaw. I really, REALLY liked Beast Man in both forms. It might have helped that he was introduced later in the season... although I also just really like both of the designs and how the character was utilized in both forms.

I also have to add that the Episode 9 Evil Masters transformations might be a bit scary for some younger viewers.

The demon Havoc dogs are called "Battle Bones?" Interesting. In a way I'm disappointed we won't get a huge one like the other versions. But these are really cool. I expected them to be the new Skelecons.

Besides that one episode, Ork-O isn't so bad. I'm relieved I don't have to go back to hating this character again!

I forgot to mention how much I like Teela's floating radio headdress. Although she's more comfortable with magic, she isn't a technophobe. She's down to use natural and learned abilities to get the job done for the greater good.

I really liked how they used the sorceress totems from the DC Multiverse comics - Teela embraces Zoar and Lyn embraces Horokoth. Next season we need someone to embrace Serpos!

And seriously... somebody get Skeletor a Battle Cat (Panthor) for his birthday!!!!!