Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Netflix He-Man & the Masters of the Universe Season #1 Talkback Thread *SPOILERS*

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Netflix He-Man & the Masters of the Universe Season #1 Talkback Thread *SPOILERS*

Expect *SPOILERS* in this thread for the first 10 episodes of season 1 of the new CGI Netflix cartoon He-Man & the Masters of the Universe after they debut on Netflix.

Additional He-Man.Org Rules and Guidelines for This Thread - Please Read!

There has been a lot of discussion on where specific topics to be discussed land within this thread. This forum is intended to be all-ages and more light-hearted in spirit and is not to be dragged down into the typical debates about sex, politics, race and religion we see online often leading to anger and hurt feelings. Those topics can still be discussed, however they will be discussed in the Tar Swamp where there is a more open, adult platform for those topics.
    To help keep the forums fun and friendly, the admins and moderators have conversed and decided guidelines on what can and can’t be discussed in this thread and what will be referred to the Tar Swamp.

What can be discussed:
    • The specific reasons why we enjoy the show
    • Constructive reasons why we dislike the show
    • Reasons why we like/enjoy specific characters
    • Constructive reasons why we dislike characters
    • Relationships between characters (all inclusive and diversity - heterosexual, homosexual, pan, etc.) that are clearly defined in the cartoon

Topics for the Tar Swamp:
    • Debates about sex, politics and religion
    • Debates about race (discussion on race swapping of characters is allowed, but must not be political in nature)
    • Debates about morality and any sexually related topic, or any politics associated with sexuality
    • Speculation about a character’s sexuality
    Edit / DeleteEdit Post Quick reply to this messageReply Reply With QuoteReply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message

Heroic Warrior
    Only seen the first two episodes so far and won't be able to view the rest until tonight, but so far I've liked it a lot. It's nice to have another wholesome take again. It does also have an 'edge' to it too.

Modulock is some kind of name for a game in this canon, funny.

I noticed Marlena in the painting, but she seems to be absent in present day...killed in the coup perhaps?

Adam finally has a friend who actually listens to him....and helps bring out the best in the lad when they act as a team, without the use of the power sword.

I kind of want more of Kitten, hell he'd make a great pre-battle cat cringer in his own right, and is 'truer' to the character than the actual Cringer is.

Keldor: Man of murder!

Teela's not as totally annoyed with Adam as other versions are.

Wish we'd seen more of the Tribe...it doesn't really add up to much with only one tribe member yelling "magic" and going mental over intruders...there's a whole world there and it just kind of gets left behind very quickly.
    Last edited by Cameron Samurai; September 16, 2021 at 07:28am.

Widget
    So far, I've also seen only two episodes. I would only be able to see the others later.

The story is pretty interesting. I've liked the characters a lot.

Although it seems the staff revealed information from the last episodes in the comic-con.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Samurai View Post
    I noticed Marlena in the painting, but she seems to be absent in present day...killed in the coup perhaps?
    However, Randor only mentioned that his son and his brother died for the sword. So, maybe Marlena was absent for other reason.

I like how Krass' transformation, comes with abilities that actualy help make ramming her enemies a practical option and give her more to do than simply charge forward. Also like her character.

Also David Kaye doing his best Liam Neeson impression as Cringer.

On episode 5 and I think someone on staff must be a fan of Super Robot Wars, cause I'm pretty sure Teel just did the Akashic Buster.
    Last edited by A Dalek; September 16, 2021 at 09:03am.

Heroic Warrior
    Found time in the busy day to catch Episodes 3-5 (was mid-way through episode six when the family dropped 'round)

I think the last half of the four-part pilot was a bit rushed, and tried cramming in too much, trying to serve up some semblance of plot but largely devoting itself to the action, the characters end up name-dropping their action figure aliases in some really hammy ways.

I was a bit confused towards the end of episode four when Keldor absorbs the power of havoc and dives into the abyss with his minions...they somehow end up transported to Snake Mountain, it was handled so sloppily I thought they too had established a base beneath Castle Grayskull

I'm also wondering who thought it was a bright idea to even have two power sources in Grayskull to begin with? I guess that's why there ended up being a royal decree not to use the powers after King Grayskull.

Some 'gross' humour, apparently Ram Ma'am likes to urinate in her own helmet(or...worse?)...and Adam almost does the same
    Last edited by Cameron Samurai; September 16, 2021 at 10:52am.

Heroic Warrior
    Just finished binging the entire 10 episodes (am I the first?)

This should have been called something else. It really annoys me it has the exact name as the filmation series.

Apart from that this thing was fantasic. Did get a little rushed / shaky when it gets to greyskull (episodes 4-5) but the rest was really well paced.

Easily better than She-ra (which I thought was drek) and revelations (which was disappointing.)

The characters (for the most part) are very different from their normal counterparts, but are really well written. Send these guys over to the revelations writers room - they know how to write women who are tough without being b******, and without emasculating the men. Adam is presented really well here.
    I love this cringer. Really refreshing that they took him in a different direction to his normal depiction.

The villains in this are probably the most dangerous & competent they have been in any of the media, save maybe some of the comics. They are far tougher and more threatening here than in revelations. None of them were played as stupid boobs.

I hated the whole shared power thing when I saw it in the trailers, but it ended up working really well. The villains also getting it was great.

The easer eggs actually felt like easter eggs rather than fan service. The two-bad hint was a welcome surprise. The microphone at snake mountain is possibly the greatest easter egg of all time.

Did we really get a new adventures tease right at the end? If they pull that into it I'll... well I dunno what I'll do but it would be awesome.

Overall this was way, way, way better than I was expecting it to be. Bring on more episodes!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    So far, I've also seen only two episodes. I would only be able to see the others later.

The story is pretty interesting. I've liked the characters a lot.

Although it seems the staff revealed information from the last episodes in the comic-con.

However, Randor only mentioned that his son and his brother died for the sword. So, maybe Marlena was absent for other reason.
    Maybe she is away trying to find a certain princess who also got kidnapped by Keldor.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by tornadobr View Post
    Maybe she is away trying to find a certain princess who also got kidnapped by Keldor.
    Or kidnapped by Light Hope.

Widget
    Don't know if anyone's posted this notion yet (I'm new to the forums and the thread is long), but who thinks there's a possibility that somewhere down the line, Ork-0 might get upgraded to Robot-0?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by tornadobr View Post
    Doubtful. You may get Easter eggs but the rights to She-Ra are with Dreamworks and theyíre shopping them to Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iím 4 episodes in and as a complete reimagining itís actually pretty good so far.

So much better than Revelation in virtually every way, story, acting, humour, characterisation.

It even captured my 4 yr olds attention for the first 2 episodes (he made us watch the first one twice)

The thing I probably didnít like the most was cringer being the old wise mentor, why was his name even cringer if he was already brave?

200x and mini comics will still be ďmyĒ MotU but Iím pleasantly surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by ProteinNerd View Post
    Iím 4 episodes in and as a complete reimagining itís actually pretty good so far.

So much better than Revelation in virtually every way, story, acting, humour, characterisation.

It even captured my 4 yr olds attention for the first 2 episodes (he made us watch the first one twice)

The thing I probably didnít like the most was cringer being the old wise mentor, why was his name even cringer if he was already brave?

200x and mini comics will still be ďmyĒ MotU but Iím pleasantly surprised.
    They explain that in a later episode so I don't want to spoil it for you.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

Heroic Warrior
    So good. My wife came home and said ďthatís not He-manĒ and appalled by the theme song but by the third episode she was enjoying it and by the fifth singing the theme song. Then played it in the car while we were running errands and hopes to find it on Beat Saber at some point. I donít like the song but the series is amazing. Itís very much He-man right down to living in the jungle and getting his stuff from a Sorceress/Goddess after rescuing her. Itís just amazing. Gimme season 2 tomorrow. A notch above Revelation and better than 200x.

I have completed watching all 10 episodes of this new version of He-Man and the MOTU 2021.
    I was extremely skeptical initially due to the toy image leaks and the way the characters are aged down.
    But after watching it all and internally processing, I am now growing to like this show, and is now among my favourites alongside the MYP 200x series and the classic Filmation one
    (and putting Revelation to last place in terms of MOTU cartoon ranking).

So I didn't think I would like this show when it was first teased but the trailer got me interested. I am up to episode 6 and I am actually really enjoying it. It's a very interesting and different take to the He-Man story which I don't mind. I still love Revelation though and think that is far better for an original fan and for adults of the original story but this CGI show is a cool new take that is fun for kids and adults.
    I Would love to see She-Ra in this but if I had to choose id prefer to see her in Revelation just being a bad ass warrior.
    Xena Warrior Princess & She-Ra Fan from Down Under

I think we are 5 episodes in now. Thank God for the skip intro button. I almost think Iím losing interest. We will see if the back half helps.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Xena-She-Ra View Post
    I still love Revelation though and think that is far better for an original fan and for adults of the original story
    Revelation is nothing like the original story. It's easier to tolerate when you realize that. This show? Way better than it despite being so different.

Heroic Warrior
    Revelation is nothing like the original story. It's easier to tolerate when you realize that. This show? Way better than it despite being so different.
    Revelation is the closest to the mini-comics weíve ever had. Itís the closest to pre-Filmation even.

Revelation IS mostly like the original show just more mature ( somewhat ) and WAY better written. This new one is aimed at children and it shows a lot of the time painfully so. It is fun though...

Heroic Warrior
    Did anyone think it was weird that Tuvar and Baddrah were 2 of the Royal Guards of King Randor's?

Quote Originally Posted by grenadaspice View Post
    Did anyone think it was weird that Tuvar and Baddrah were 2 of the Royal Guards of King Randor's?
    I quite like that little piece of the story, yet to be told that is

I don't know If there's a speculation thread , but the more I think about teela , the more I think that she's actually teela-na , and shell eventually become the eldress ( not AN eldress , the same one ) . If time travel does become a factor , teela could become cloned , and Duncan may volunteer to raise that clone in the past to change the Future ?

Might be wild speculation on my part , but it's all got precedent in other canons and this early on , anything could happen

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by davelove81 View Post
    I don't know If there's a speculation thread , but the more I think about teela , the more I think that she's actually teela-na , and shell eventually become the eldress ( not AN eldress , the same one ) . If time travel does become a factor , teela could become cloned , and Duncan may volunteer to raise that clone in the past to change the Future ?

Might be wild speculation on my part , but it's all got precedent in other canons and this early on , anything could happen

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
    It's an interesting idea. Eldress says that Teela reminds her of her. We see a lot of concern that Teela has about rebuilding the statue of Eldress. If time travel is a thing, then Teela could have seen her death when watching the images of Eldress sacrificing herself for a young Adam, which could tie-in with how Eldress tries to reassure Teela about her fate, and so on... Who knows? Hopefully we'll see.

After watching it, I kind of expected General Dolos to become Tri-Klops, especially with the helmet, the guard/general who is mind-controlled by Skeletor, the machine drones, etc. Who knows? Maybe he still will become Tri-Klops in Season 2.

I'm curious whether they are setting up Adam with Teela or Krass. It really depends on whether the whole "childhood friends" or "like a sister" trope turns romantic or not.

‹ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Man-at-Arms View Post
    After watching it, I kind of expected General Dolos to become Tri-Klops, especially with the helmet, the guard/general who is mind-controlled by Skeletor, the machine drones, etc. Who knows? Maybe he still will become Tri-Klops in Season 2.
    Dolos is the Greek god of trickery and deception. General Dolos is so-named, because Kronis takes on his appearance as a disguise to fool Randor. It is not any deeper than that.

Co-Creator of the NV
    The show is odd for me because I hate just about everything about it, when I think of it as a form of motu. The sword is awful, somehow even worse than the 200x one, hate them giving them He Man other powers, can't stand the art style or focus in tech, etc... and yet I find myself enjoying the show

I might hate just about every choice they made, but the writing is good. It's funny and has good banter, the comradery is solid and it's quite entertaining.

One thing that's jarring is that every time I hear Cringer speak, all I hear is Liam Neeson. I'm waiting for Adam to be "taken" and then for Cringer to have a speech about how he's got a set of skills that make him a nightmare for people like the kidnapper.