Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Netflix He-Man & the Masters of the Universe Season #1 Talkback Thread *SPOILERS*

Quote Originally Posted by They-Them View Post
    This. Sheís probably my favorite character outside of the big guy. Cringer is up there too. I like them all actually!

And Iím one of the old dinosaurs who just ďcanít accept change, man.Ē This is the best MOTU iteration since Filmation.
    It'd be interesting to see what everyone's rankings were for the various tv and cinema adaptation's now there's a fair few of them . Personally I don't think there's a single iteration I HATE but I think my ranking thus far would have to be

200x
    Cgi
    Live action movie
    Revelation
    New adventures
    Filmation she Ra
    Filmation he man
    Netflix she Ra

I think they all did thier own thing and have different strengths and weaknesses but the cgi toon for me has the best mix of humour and action , and has loads of potential to go in some pretty exciting directions

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Heroic Warrior
    I'd rather they change the character's visual and have her be likable than make her look similar and be completely unlikable. OK, Teela has a new look fitting with her more magical background, but she's not a selfish jackass.

Widget
    I finally watched it!

Between this and Revelation, there seems to be a trend of making Skeletor ultra-competent and scary and I'm loving it. He is still the funniest, hammiest character too, I love him. Someone get him that Battlecat for his birthday. The villains, in general, got the coolest transformations and powers, the writers must love them.

I'm glad that Adam doesn't have to suffer from secret identity syndrome for once, the team/ found family aspect is very well handled. It makes his relationship with Teela feel more genuine despite them having just met in this version. The uncle-nephew dynamic is also very well done, not super dramatic but adds a lot.

In general I love that almost everyone has a nemesis, I hope Ram M'am and Orko get one too.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfan87 View Post
    I wouldn't be upset at seeing She-ra and ethieria turning up in a few seasons. But I think it will be this show's own version of She-ra, not the previous one seen on the netflix series. There are legal issues there, and it would limit this series's writers creativity (being bound to that show's version of hordak and the horde, instead of making their own).
    That's possible.

I mostly went on the characters' ages (Adam and Adora are or will be around the same age within their respective shows)... the similar tone and design aesthetics... and all of the Eternia easter eggs on SPOP line up to this new show pretty well.

Where it could misfire is the SPOP version of Hordak and the Horde. This did cross my mind, but I set it aside as I couldn't tell if my personal tastes and wants were clouding the possibilities or not. I liked what they did in SPOP, but I would like to see something darker and primal for Hordak and the Horde in this series. With Despondos being a different dimension, maybe that would explain the different Horde that invaded in SPOP? There are tons of creative possibilities that could still make it work.

But just spitballing and having fun with the possibilities. I just hope the series does well and they continue to make more, with or without an SPOP crossover.

Quote Originally Posted by davelove81 View Post
    It'd be interesting to see what everyone's rankings were for the various tv and cinema adaptation's now there's a fair few of them . Personally I don't think there's a single iteration I HATE but I think my ranking thus far would have to be

200x
    Cgi
    Live action movie
    Revelation
    New adventures
    Filmation she Ra
    Filmation he man
    Netflix she Ra

I think they all did thier own thing and have different strengths and weaknesses but the cgi toon for me has the best mix of humour and action , and has loads of potential to go in some pretty exciting directions

200X
    CGI MOTU
    Netflix POP
    Revelation
    Filmation MOTU
    Filmation POP
    Live action movie
    New Adventures

This CGI version does have great action, humor, and storytelling. In a few seasons it could overtake 200X for me. But 200X had the best mix of everything I love about the franchise and it was mostly grounded. Also the best version of Keldor with the Gar plight.

SPOP was a huge surprise as I was never a fan of this in any form previously. This show fixed everything I didn't like in the other incarnations along with amazing storytelling.

Revelation is fine, but we need those last 5 episodes to really judge.

The Filmation stuff was just too silly and lost it's luster to me quickly even as a kid.

The only good thing about the live action movie was Frank Langella's passion and acting. Also props to the design department for his Skeletor costume.

The only good thing about New Adventures was the Mara character that SPOP was able to recycle into a better narrative.
    Tweeterhead Statue Want List: He-Man 2.0, Battle Cat, Panthor, Tung Lashor, Rattlor, Zodak (200X style), She-Ra 2.0, Sorceress, Buzz Off, Webstor, Kobra Khan, King Hiss, Scare Glow

Heroic Warrior
    Did anyone think it was weird that Tuvar and Baddrah were 2 of the Royal Guards of King Randor's?

Quote Originally Posted by grenadaspice View Post
    Did anyone think it was weird that Tuvar and Baddrah were 2 of the Royal Guards of King Randor's?
    I quite like that little piece of the story, yet to be told that is

Heroic Warrior
    If the show ever does crossover with She-Ra, it hopefully stays well clear of the craptastic SPOP take

Widget
    First of all hi everyone, I'm new to the forum.

I have to say I liked this show way more I expected. After my big disappointment with Revelation I was quite on the fence... luckily, this time I changed my mind, especially after Keldor/Skeletor introduction. While certainly aimed at children, I think it does a great job with characterizations and the plot is well structured. And although it changes a lot things, I feel it stays true to the lore spirits in many ways. I wait for the second season and I'm interested to see where the story will go

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfan87 View Post
    I wouldn't be upset at seeing She-ra and ethieria turning up in a few seasons. But I think it will be this show's own version of She-ra, not the previous one seen on the netflix series.
    I don't know... I could totally see the Dreamworks She-Ra fitting into this show. The SPOP character designs would make an easy transition into this style.

Quote Originally Posted by motogp_fanatic View Post
    Not all, like me. But I do not make a fuss about online, simply because its just my personal preference to have her recognizable as much as possible from her original appearance and characterization. But I respect those who do and love changes to stuff and all.
    motogp, this is too logical to be real!

Seriously, I wish more people would take your advice and follow it.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

Quote Originally Posted by Dav85 View Post
    First of all hi everyone, I'm new to the forum.

I have to say I liked this show way more I expected. After my big disappointment with Revelation I was quite on the fence... luckily, this time I changed my mind, especially after Keldor/Skeletor introduction. While certainly aimed at children, I think it does a great job with characterizations and the plot is well structured. And although it changes a lot things, I feel it stays true to the lore spirits in many ways. I wait for the second season and I'm interested to see where the story will go
    Welcome. Yup, this show seems to be a sleeping hit. I’m not seeing many viewers dislike this show. Like you you I felt a bit let down with revelations but I know more is coming. This new show caught fire for me immediately.
    Comedian on the matty forums.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrskeletor View Post
    Id rather they leave She-ra out myself - she is getting her own shows, don't need to overcrowd this one.
    On the other hand New Adventures is totally dormant and would totally fit this show, I don't think they will do it but if they did bring those elements in it would be awesome. Flogg and his cronies totally need to be the 4th badguy faction in MOTU.
    I think She-Ra will never be reintegrated. Itís going to be its own property and never the Twain shall meet again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexApprobation View Post

Also the best version of Keldor with the Gar plight.
    Was the "Gar plight" ever actually in 200x? I don't remember it being addressed in any of it.

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by horseman1981 View Post
    Welcome. Yup, this show seems to be a sleeping hit. Iím not seeing many viewers dislike this show. Like you you I felt a bit let down with revelations but I know more is coming. This new show caught fire for me immediately.
    I especially hope (and think it will be so) all the talking about snake men is more than a homage and they will have a huge role ala 200x in the future. Sadly, it is my understanding Hordak is out of question due to copyright issues. He was even removed from Skeletor's origin

I don't know If there's a speculation thread , but the more I think about teela , the more I think that she's actually teela-na , and shell eventually become the eldress ( not AN eldress , the same one ) . If time travel does become a factor , teela could become cloned , and Duncan may volunteer to raise that clone in the past to change the Future ?

Might be wild speculation on my part , but it's all got precedent in other canons and this early on , anything could happen

Quote Originally Posted by AlexApprobation View Post
    That's possible.

I mostly went on the characters' ages (Adam and Adora are or will be around the same age within their respective shows)... the similar tone and design aesthetics... and all of the Eternia easter eggs on SPOP line up to this new show pretty well.

While I do agree to a degree, SPOP Adora is actualy older than this version of Adam. He's meant to be 16 while she started her show at 17-18 and was meant to be in her early 20's by the end.

So you would either have to retcon Adora's age, have the timeline work so SPOP takes place after the first season or two of this show, or just forgo the twins thing and have Adora be his older sister.
    Last edited by A Dalek; September 20, 2021 at 01:02pm.

Quote Originally Posted by A Dalek View Post
    While I do agree to a degree, SPOP Adora is actualy older than this version of Adam. He's meant to be 16 while she started her show at 17-18 and was meant to be in her early 20's by the end.

So you would either have to retcon Adora's age, have the timeline work so SPOP takes place after the first season or two of this show, or just forgo the twins thing and have Adora be his older.
    As much as I'd like She ra to mostly stay in her sandbox, technically they could still be twins. Space and time travel can have dramatic effects on people according to Sci Fi look at Interstellar with Mathew McConaughey they are on one planet for a few minutes and people that were roughly the same age as them are now significantly older. Besides anything that gets me more Evil Horde done better than Filmation or SPOP is a win.

I've watched the first 3 episodes, and I am really, really surprised.

This is NOT He-Man to me. Personally, I prefer the more savage, barbaric elements of old school MOTU. That said, I am really enjoying this. I thought it was going to be a little too 'kiddie' for an old grouch like me, and that's OK. I know I am not the target audience. But I actually find myself enjoying it, far more than I did Revelation. In this case, I guess it's better that it's a FAR departure from the original source material.

YMMV.
    Odd Man Out

Quote Originally Posted by davelove81 View Post

200x
    Cgi
    Live action movie
    Revelation
    New adventures
    Filmation she Ra
    Filmation he man
    Netflix she Ra
    1. Filmation She-Ra
    2. Filmation He-Man
    3. Netflix She-Ra and the Princesses of Power
    4. CGI Netflix He-Man
    5. Live Action Movie
    6. Revelation
    7. Mike Young
    8. New Adventures

Keep in mind I love all of these so last place doesn't equal hate. I was just binging some NA on Peacock last night. Also, it's hard to fully judge Revelation until all 10 episodes are out and digested.

That said, I absolutely loved the CGI show. As in shocked at how good I thought it was. I think it was spot on as an update for a current generation mixed in with mythos elements and easter eggs that call back to us adult fans. Plus, I cannot stop singing the theme song.
    -Jon

The First He-Man & She-Ra Podcast at www.masterscast.com

It would be hard to put the SPOP She-Ra version in this show unless they went the multiverse route, which I hope they don't. They also call the area in this show that Snake Mountain is in the Fright Zone. Given how much they talked about the Snakemen, I would venture we would see them first before the Horde if He-Man gets multiple seasons after the initial order. There are a lot of regular MOTU characters as well that have yet to be introduced in the show, so I don't think they really need to go the She-Ra/POP route unless this show lasts well beyond the initial rumored 26 episodes. That is more something you pull if you run out of ideas and the licensing isn't complex. They already have two main females in the show with super powers in Teela/Sorceress and Krass/Ram Mam. They also already gave Adam the orphan storyline and Randor and Keldor have yet to mention her.

So I know Evil-Lyn's empowered form seems to be a shout-out to her Horokoth Sorceress form from Eternia War, but anyone else get the feeling the whole power sharing thing comes from that Anti-Eternia arc where one of the Men of He did exactly that and had an army?
    I am Imp's number one fan.

200X - Excellent, all best MOTU stories came from this
    Revelations - Great so far
    MOTU Movie - Ok, not good MOTU content
    Filmation He-Man - Nostalgic but lame stories
    Netflix CGI - Meh, not for my old ass
    New Adventures - Really bad
    Check out my Etsy page for items ready to ship.
    Contact BadVermin for all your custom projects and repaints.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrskeletor View Post
    Was the "Gar plight" ever actually in 200x? I don't remember it being addressed in any of it.
    I'm possibly mixing the 200X MYP cartoon, the 200X Image comics, the DC 2015ish books, and the Classics comics... but in combination, it was certainly there. The Gar plight and how Eternia dealt with it (badly) is what gave Keldor his motivation and slowly turned him from a pretty heroic character into an evil one who gave into his worse desires and impulses. A very emotional and striking story layered in layers of nuance.

Quote Originally Posted by A Dalek View Post

So you would either have to retcon Adora's age, have the timeline work so SPOP takes place after the first season or two of this show, or just forgo the twins thing and have Adora be his older sister.
    smanomega gave a pretty decent explanation, although with a less positive and hopeful spin.

But yeah... the characters are still twins, the stories just started at different points in the timeline. We saw Adora's side of things starting in her mid teens and progressing to her early 20s over multiple seasons. We could see the same thing from Adam's perspective. And after 5 or 6 seasons of Adam growing to his early 20s, boom, crossover time.
    Tweeterhead Statue Want List: He-Man 2.0, Battle Cat, Panthor, Tung Lashor, Rattlor, Zodak (200X style), She-Ra 2.0, Sorceress, Buzz Off, Webstor, Kobra Khan, King Hiss, Scare Glow

Quote Originally Posted by banthafett View Post
    I'm trying to take your guys word on this show, but I'm ready to turn this off after 5 minutes.

All the moaning about butch teela, but not a peep about black teela.
    Yep, it's pretty awful. I don't mind the character in the show, but ffs, stop swaping races of characters. Why is Kronis green now? I didn't even know who that was supposed to be in the first episode. Why is Keldor white? Do they hate blue skin Gars that much? Just create new characters. Oh wait, the writers and designers can't. They can only take someone else's idea and make it their own, better version instead. Dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulfly View Post
    Yep, it's pretty awful. I don't mind the character in the show, but ffs, stop swaping races of characters. Why is Kronis green now? I didn't even know who that was supposed to be in the first episode. Why is Keldor white? Do they hate blue skin Gars that much? Just create new characters. Oh wait, the writers and designers can't. They can only take someone else's idea and make it their own, better version instead. Dumb.
    Or, maybe they didn't wanna have him be Randor's HALF-brother this time? Sheesh...

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by DC_WARLORD View Post
    I've watched the first 3 episodes, and I am really, really surprised.

This is NOT He-Man to me. Personally, I prefer the more savage, barbaric elements of old school MOTU. That said, I am really enjoying this. I thought it was going to be a little too 'kiddie' for an old grouch like me, and that's OK. I know I am not the target audience. But I actually find myself enjoying it, far more than I did Revelation. In this case, I guess it's better that it's a FAR departure from the original source material.

YMMV.
    One thing Iíve enjoyed about Netflix animated shows like Trollhunters, MOTU, and the Dragon Prince is that while they are designed for a younger crowd they are also smart enough, well designed and engaging enough for adults. Iíve enjoyed all three series and the spin offs of Trollhunters immensely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk