Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Netflix He-Man & the Masters of the Universe Season #1 Talkback Thread *SPOILERS*

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by burnside986 View Post
    Im conflicted on this one. I have been enjoying whats happening on the show, but Im not in love with the mobile game/Clash of Clans style. It feels too video-gamey. Everyone has their power thats on a 3 turn cooldown. And I do think they leaned too far into the sci-fi part of Masters, hardly any of the fantasy/Conan aspect. But I do like the story so far (on Ep 5) and I love that the power is shared with the other Masters. Harkens back to the old "moral of the story" bits from Filmation. The team is stronger if we share resources and work together. Something Revelation kinda dropped the ball on.

Teela starting out as the Sorceress already was awesome. Marrying the old jungle tribe and son-of-a-king He-Man origin is pretty bonkers and I loved it. Not feeling TrapJaw as of yet. Skeletor is amazing.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you get a Zordon training the Power Rangers vibe? The more I think of it the more I get a Power Rangers vibe. Team powering up and getting powers/costumes from a central power guided by a holographic entity.
    More Shazam than Power Rangers. Nothing Sentai about this show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Call Your Champion Voodoo Magic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverToad View Post
    My main takeaway from this show is that I like it, but it's just not close enough to what I liked about MOTU to really count as MOTU content for me. I like it as it's own thing, but I still wish they'd just work a tad bit closer to the formula than they did.
    I'm right with you on this one.
    ~ CALL YOUR CHAMPION ~

According to the writer of "Cry Havoc, Part 1", the Eldress's comment about Orko the Great not having true heart was not meant to refer to the original Orko (like the original one from Filmation), but rather, the Orko of the CGI universe--I.E., a Trollan with the same name.

Considering how condescending he was in some parts of his episodes, it's pretty likely that unlike other incarnations of Orko, this one wasn't exactly squeaky-clean in reputation; while he was remembered as a great magician, he also carried the tendency to be rather condescending and arrogant.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Orko the Great View Post
    According to the writer of "Cry Havoc, Part 1", the Eldress's comment about Orko the Great not having true heart was not meant to refer to the original Orko (like the original one from Filmation), but rather, the Orko of the CGI universe--I.E., a Trollan with the same name.

Considering how condescending he was in some parts of his episodes, it's pretty likely that unlike other incarnations of Orko, this one wasn't exactly squeaky-clean in reputation; while he was remembered as a great magician, he also carried the tendency to be rather condescending and arrogant.
    Yeah, that's what I was trying to get at. It seems like this takes place in a continuity where Orko never actually faced any problems with his magic (due to Trolla now being on Eternia, I guess?) and so thus never learned the humility that he learned in the filmation show. It's not until he's suddenly a robot and literally can't do a lot of the things he used to that he's finally forced to get over that flaw.

Which means we may likely get an episode explaining this soon, and may even get to see this version of the original Orko himself. I'm interested to see where it will go.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverToad View Post
    Yeah, that's what I was trying to get at. It seems like this takes place in a continuity where Orko never actually faced any problems with his magic (due to Trolla now being on Eternia, I guess?) and so thus never learned the humility that he learned in the filmation show. It's not until he's suddenly a robot and literally can't do a lot of the things he used to that he's finally forced to get over that flaw.

Which means we may likely get an episode explaining this soon, and may even get to see this version of the original Orko himself. I'm interested to see where it will go.
    Actually, according to the episode after Orko debuted, Trolla is still in another dimension. The place Teela and Duncan went to with Orko was more like a Trollan monument.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm actually glad that Keldor isn't a Gar in this series, because we didn't need the whole "half-brother" situation to deal with. To be honest, I never understood why that was considered necessary for the franchise. Besides, this show has proven that Keldor can still be a power-hungry jerk, regardless of whether or not he and Randor are half-brothers or full brothers.

Do we know if Skeletor can change back to Keldor at will?

One other thing I liked about this show is that it was so different from the original that I had no idea where things were headed. It was fun figuring out that Kronis and Evelyn would become Trap Jaw and Evil Lyn with the power of Havoc. Or that poacher dude would become Beast Man.

I don’t know, it kept me on my toes I guess. Had the kids and me speculating the whole time. Just fun stuff.

Also, all the bits where they were coming up with their “superhero” names were fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by They-Them View Post
    Do we know if Skeletor can change back to Keldor at will?

One other thing I liked about this show is that it was so different from the original that I had no idea where things were headed. It was fun figuring out that Kronis and Evelyn would become Trap Jaw and Evil Lyn with the power of Havoc. Or that poacher dude would become Beast Man.

I don’t know, it kept me on my toes I guess. Had the kids and me speculating the whole time. Just fun stuff.

Also, all the bits where they were coming up with their “superhero” names were fantastic.
    Not sure why Keldor would want to turn back. For him Skeletor is a perk, the reward he was entitled to. Adam is the one who sees being He-Man and the power it brings as a responsibility.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

This show is soooo much better than I expected. I really enjoyed it!

Quote Originally Posted by Asher Tye View Post
    Not sure why Keldor would want to turn back. For him Skeletor is a perk, the reward he was entitled to. Adam is the one who sees being He-Man and the power it brings as a responsibility.
    I believe the only way that Keldor can regain his 'normal' appearance is to steal the life essence from others... like he did when he first awoke after the 10 year hiatus.

Even then, he had to take an incredible amount of life-force to heal himself, so logistically, it would make more sense for Keldor to remain as Skeletor.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    I believe the only way that Keldor can regain his 'normal' appearance is to steal the life essence from others... like he did when he first awoke after the 10 year hiatus.

Even then, he had to take an incredible amount of life-force to heal himself, so logistically, it would make more sense for Keldor to remain as Skeletor.
    Personally I'm glad he's stuck as Skeletor because changing back and forth would ruin his character now if I could just get him to lay off on the cheap dad jokes.

Well maybe the entire show in general, light humor is awesome but scenes that should be all action are ruined by it. Even the scenes that should be a little more dramatic suffer from it as well. I mean you find your uncle with a skull for a face and you proceed to banter back and forth about what his name should be? Ugh just fight it out already.

Quote Originally Posted by smanomega View Post
    Personally I'm glad he's stuck as Skeletor because changing back and forth would ruin his character now if I could just get him to lay off on the cheap dad jokes.

Well maybe the entire show in general, light humor is awesome but scenes that should be all action are ruined by it. Even the scenes that should be a little more dramatic suffer from it as well. I mean you find your uncle with a skull for a face and you proceed to banter back and forth about what his name should be? Ugh just fight it out already.
    Try to keep in mind it's a young children's show, that can entertain a base audience today even younger than Filmation's. The inclusion of humor, characters that make them laugh, appeals to them, and is needed to keep all these rather scary beings like Skeletor, Beast Man, Trap Jaw etc. from actually being so scary. So if you're looking for more tense action and drama, I'd say this isn't the show to look towards.

And yeah, some of the jokes are corny (Sand Witch?) but I personally found more of the jokes overall landing than not.
    ~ CALL YOUR CHAMPION ~

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo Magic View Post
    Try to keep in mind it's a young children's show, that can entertain a base audience today even younger than Filmation's. The inclusion of humor, characters that make them laugh, appeals to them, and is needed to keep all these rather scary beings like Skeletor, Beast Man, Trap Jaw etc. from actually being so scary. So if you're looking for more tense action and drama, I'd say this isn't the show to look towards.
    Yeah I really like how they're presenting Skeletor in this series. He's powerful, cunning, and evil, but at the same time doesn't take himself too seriously. I enjoyed just seeing him banter with his lackey's.

It makes for a fun show. IMO he's one of the richest characters in the show.
    "A fool always finds a greater fool to admire him."

Eh, I love the humor in this series. For Skeletor, it's a nice bridge between the Filmation's charm and current sensibilities.

For everything else, it just fits. Humor is really subjective, but for me it all strikes a great balance.

Concerning the heroes meeting Skeletor, it's something many of us have discussed and it was wonderful seeing it addressed. Although it was fan service, (to me) it felt natural and added to the scene.
    Tweeterhead 1/5 Legends Statue Want List: He-Man 2.0, Battle Cat, Panthor, Tung Lashor, Rattlor, Zodak (200X style), She-Ra 2.0, Sorceress, Buzz Off, Webstor, Kobra Khan, King Hiss, Scare Glow

Quote Originally Posted by AlexApprobation View Post
    Eh, I love the humor in this series. For Skeletor, it's a nice bridge between the Filmation's charm and current sensibilities.

For everything else, it just fits. Humor is really subjective, but for me it all strikes a great balance.

Concerning the heroes meeting Skeletor, it's something many of us have discussed and it was wonderful seeing it addressed. Although it was fan service, (to me) it felt natural and added to the scene.
    I agree with you here as the humor is my favorite part of the show. Especially He-Man trying make his voice lower

I get it though if you’re not a big fan of the humor. It’s usually a matter of preference.
    “Being a champion is about defending those who can’t defend themselves.”

I completely agree that the humor is necessary for the show just not as much as we're getting. You have to remember were only 10 episodes in, the constant hammering of jokes is going to get old and repedative VERY quickly. Kids apparently LOVE repetition ( that's why they can sit and watch things like DORA the explorer ) Same goes for the drawn out sequences of " powering up and super moves" I really like this show Skeletor is pretty sweet but watching it as much as I have Revelations is definitely not going to happen.

I thought most of the jokes were ok even if they made me laugh rarely. I think the only one that made me laugh out loud was the Snake Mountain speaker joke. The potty humor with Krass and Adam talking about peeing in her dead father's helmet was a bit much.

I completely agree that the humor is necessary for the show just not as much as we're getting. You have to remember were only 10 episodes in, the constant hammering of jokes is going to get old and repedative VERY quickly. Kids apparently LOVE repetition ( that's why they can sit and watch things like DORA the explorer ) Same goes for the drawn out sequences of " powering up and super moves" I really like this show Skeletor is pretty sweet but watching it as much as I have Revelations is definitely not going to happen.
    Yeah, that's fair. I found the power up sequences very drawn out too, and by time Skeletor & Friends were doing it too... it was just so laborious to sit through. Maybe it wouldn't be as tedious if I watched an episode once a week and not in a binge type regiment? Maybe this type of program suits a weekly or daily format better, and it's just easier to digest that way? But alas, I have to remind myself too even, that this is not geared for us adults.
    ~ CALL YOUR CHAMPION ~

Widget
    My boy and I are enjoying it so far, about half-way through. I think the changes they've made work and are pretty fun. I was unsure about Ram Ma'am before I saw the show, but it's a fun spin on the character.

Widget
    This show is freakin awesome. But I hate some of the designs. I can't stand He-Man's huge arms & teeny tiny legs. I have no desire to own any of the toys. Except maybe Battle Cat. I would love a Masterverse style figure of Teela's powered-up Sorceress outfit. I love that skin-tight white outfit. Also would love a really good Masterverse Man At Arms.

I don't understand this "aimed at kids", "aimed at collectors" thing. When I was a kid I was attracted to the most high-quality, detailed & realistic looking toys like the smaller die-cast Shogun Warriors, GI Joe vehicles & the 1st wave of Transformers G1 with rubber tires, chrome & die-cast metal. I don't understand why these MOTU toys need to be so cheap & low quality. The toys from this show should just be part of Masterverse.

Quote Originally Posted by Reformatted2086 View Post
    This show is freakin awesome. But I hate some of the designs. I can't stand He-Man's huge arms & teeny tiny legs. I have no desire to own any of the toys. Except maybe Battle Cat. I would love a Masterverse style figure of Teela's powered-up Sorceress outfit. I love that skin-tight white outfit. Also would love a really good Masterverse Man At Arms.

I don't understand this "aimed at kids", "aimed at collectors" thing. When I was a kid I was attracted to the most high-quality, detailed & realistic looking toys like the smaller die-cast Shogun Warriors, GI Joe vehicles & the 1st wave of Transformers G1 with rubber tires, chrome & die-cast metal. I don't understand why these MOTU toys need to be so cheap & low quality. The toys from this show should just be part of Masterverse.
    Actually, I don't think that the New CGI MotU figures are cheap or low quality...

Once I got them in-hand, they have a good weight, way better paint apps than I thought, decent articulation, great sculpts, and a fun play-gimmick!

They are just about the size of the Origins line... I would have loved for them to be incorporated into MOTUO for the swap-parts feature alone!
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    Actually, I don't think that the New CGI MotU figures are cheap or low quality...

Once I got them in-hand, they have a good weight, way better paint apps than I thought, decent articulation, great sculpts, and a fun play-gimmick!

They are just about the size of the Origins line... I would have loved for them to be incorporated into MOTUO for the swap-parts feature alone!
    Well, they look cheap & kiddy like Transformers Cyberverse. I don't like cartoony or babyish designs. I hate the tiny legs & huge arms, I also can't stand those Eternia minis. I'm not into super deformed crap. MOTU 200x is more my style. I won't be wasting my money on any of them. I'm sticking with Masterverse & Classics.

But at least I love the show. I totally expected to hate it.

Heroic Warrior
    I have a hard time vibing with the art style. I hope the target audience likes it though. Do we have any info on its overall reception?

Quote Originally Posted by Medea View Post
    I have a hard time vibing with the art style. I hope the target audience likes it though. Do we have any info on its overall reception?
    Yeah, I'm curious too! For the health and longevity of MOTU, I hope both new Netflix shows are doing well!
    ~ CALL YOUR CHAMPION ~

Quote Originally Posted by Medea View Post
    The show has hit the Netflix top ten kids in 30+ markets.

Top 10 in Kids in India on September 25th - Source Netflix Family

top10kidsindia.jpg