Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Cancelled MOTU/TMNT Crossover Comic - sketchbooks now available!

The Cancelled MOTU/TMNT Crossover Comic - sketchbooks now available!

Artist Freddie E. Williams II has been posting some sketches online from "the ill-fated He-Man / TMNT crossover that got delayed twice the outright cancelled over a year ago".

He appears on on the Raging Bullets podcast episode 597, to discuss the Cancelled MOTU/TMNT Crossover Comic.
    Please click here to hear the the podcast here.

Cant believe this got cancelled, this would have been my dream one after we already got the ThunderCats crossover. The art looks great. Hopefully the project will get revived at some point.

MOTU TMNT16.jpgMOTU TMNT17.jpgMOTU TMNT18.jpgMOTU TMNT19.jpg

It only lets me add 15 images to a post so I've added more images to post 22 in this thread.

- - - Updated - - -

'He-Man/TMNT The Crossover that almost was Behind the scenes sketchbook' now available form artist Freddie Williams.
    "64 all color pages with with TONS of sketch work + a (more succinct)telling of how this crossover almost was twice!"
    Order from: https://freddieart.com/product/he-ma...4-color-pages/
    UK MOTU Fan Club Members - Add You Member Name to this Thread

Wanted:
    MOTUC He-Ro Staff with green gem
    Keshi Mantenna in red

Heroic Warrior
    Honestly, I don't mind this. As bizarre as this is going to sound, TMNT is too grounded to really work with MOTU. Like, a key part of TMNT imo is the urban setting. For a MOTU crossover, you'd have to either stick He-Man and company on earth again, or you take the TMNT out of their element.

Idk, I don't particularly like He-Man on earth stories, the only exception being the Injustice crossover, but that has more to do with me being a massive Injustice fan than anything else.

I don't know, the TMNT aren't strangers to sci-fi or fantasy storylines. Pretty much every single incarnation of them has been steeped in time-travel, dimension hopping, space travel, aliens, mystical sorcerers, magic and pretty much anything else they can throw at the Turtles. Even the Mirage comic, which people keep saying was grounded and down-to-earth, had the Turtles go to space and fight aliens and deal with the prospect of intercalactic war in the FIFTH issue. The Turtles are perfectly at home with large-scale sci-fi or even fantasy. They'd fit perfectly in with He-Man and crew.

From the drawings, it seems most likely that they would have gone with "TMNT in Eternia," which is probably the route I would have gone too.
    Don't think, that'll only confuse you.

I never knew there was consideration for such a crossover.

Ah to imagine Bebop & Rocksteady in the service of Skeletor (more morons, more insults)

It is a shame that with all the MOTU crossovers there has been, it really strange that there never was a Marvel/MOTU crossover (and I think in the 80s, if I recall correctly, there were MOTU comics by Star Comics, and that was part of Marvel if I recall correctly).
    Last edited by thor; July 5, 2021 at 06:30am.

I love how Freddie Williams draws MOTU.
    I still kinda wish the Masters of Multiverse story uses his art. This MOTU/TMNT crossover is a miss for the fandom, it seems would be another great crossover.

Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by motogp_fanatic; July 5, 2021 at 06:58am.
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

Heroic Warrior
    Going to second being a fan of Williamsí work.

And the Turtles had a major arc in the original comics where they literally went to space to try and escape a race of Triceratops people. How grounded is that?

Id have been all over this . We should start a snydercut style campaign , #releasetheWilliamsverse

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Would have loved to see this, for Williams' art if nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by Iluvart View Post
    Would have loved to see this, for Williams' art if nothing else.
    Agreed , I think him , Dave Wilkins and pop mhan are 3 of the best things to happen to motu comics in ages

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

I love his art and have originals from the tcats/motu series hanging on our wall.

This could have been a ton of fun.
    cogito ergo doleo

what a bummer
    such a shame it never happened, so many missed opportunities here
    and we don't even know if DCcomics still retains publishing rights for MOTU or now it's all up Dark Horse making new stories
    "The Most Powerful Man in the Universe..."
    "Where Hope seems Lost..."
    "Good Journey!"
    "I was summoned on the future..."
    "A Hero shall emerge to protect Eternia..."
    "A Hero will Rise..."
    "The Power of Grayskull Awakens......"
    "Let the Power Returns....!"

It's super unfortunate that this crossover was cancelled. Were any reasons given?

Does DC still have the license to publish more MOTU comics? I don't think I've seen any from them in a very long while.
    Tweeterhead 1/5 Legends Statue Want List: He-Man 2.0, Battle Cat, Panthor, Tung Lashor, Rattlor, Zodak (200X style), She-Ra 2.0, Sorceress, Buzz Off, Webstor, Kobra Khan, King Hiss, Scare Glow

This failing to come to pass is really unfortunate. Seeing my TMNT Ultimates next to my MOTUC makes me wish for exactly this!
    MOTU Origins Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Anti-Eternia Characters, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy
    Hermione's Toy Box on Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8C...xlwUttPSJAUZMA

Was there ever a write up about the story behind it? I mean it could practically write itself.... Nevermind with that art behind it it wouldn't need much of one to make it a hit.

Definitely my favorite DC MOTU artist

Heroic Warrior
    Am I going crazy or is everything from Adam onwards new?

Honestly, I've changed my mind, the Skeletor and Shredder art has sold me on it.

Although, I imagine this would be similar to Injustice/MOTU and we'd never get any toys based on it. I still really want Black Adam Skeletor and Shazam He-Man.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, horny Orko lmao

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by depp76 View Post
    How is this comic more horny than the ones done by the incredibly horny Tim Seeley?

Quote Originally Posted by 13977 View Post
    Artist Freddie Williams has been posting some sketches online from "the ill-fated He-Man / TMNT crossover that got delayed twice the outright cancelled over a year ago".
    Cant believe this got cancelled, this would have been my dream one after we already got the ThunderCats crossover. The art looks great. Hopefully the project will get revived at some point.

Attachment 126327Attachment 126328Attachment 126329Attachment 126330Attachment 126331Attachment 126344Attachment 126347Attachment 126361Attachment 126381
    I hate ninja Turtles
    God thanks it didn't happen

Heroic Warrior
    Very awesome!

This came up last week on the TMNT forum.

As I mentioned there, as a fan of both I imagine that the art would look amazing but the story would be godawful. I know that with things like this, some people really, truly enjoy the "5-year old kid playing with his toys in the tub" method of "storytelling", and I acknowledge that "fanservice" has its place sometimes... but I can't see this being anything but insanely goofy.

Like, I know I'm gonna get yelled at for admitting this, but I totally skipped the TMNT/Batman cross-over comics. Saw some previews from the first series, and it was awful in every way I'd ever feared, so I just Nope'd it. Then they did sequels, and everything I saw from those looked even worse. I know some people swear by them but that kind of thing just isn't for me. And had this ever come out, I have to believe that it would've been in the same vein.

Those sketches are admittedly very cool, though. But I'm fine with it not having actually happened.
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA

I've been updating the first post in this thread with the new images that Freddie Williams has been posting, but it only lets me add 15 images to a post so I'll start adding them in this post now.

MOTU TMNT16.jpgMOTU TMNT17.jpgMOTU TMNT18.jpgMOTU TMNT19.jpg

Freddie Williams has also just been on the Raging Bullets podcast episode 597, ​describing what he knows of how the He-Man/TMNT crossover comic came about, then fell apart- and how it dove-tails with Last Ronin and finally the Bequest!
    https://ragingbullets.com/2021/07/12...ninja-turtles/
    UK MOTU Fan Club Members - Add You Member Name to this Thread

Wanted:
    MOTUC He-Ro Staff with green gem
    Keshi Mantenna in red

Heroic Warrior
    Wow, this would have been cool.

I actually attempted my own a stop motion crossover back in 2008 or so. I would have been in middle school I think... and only got as far as animating Donatello finding Skeletor's purple half of the Power Sword. I think the idea I had was that he'd accidentally transport them to Eternia from New York City or something along those lines.

Between my crummy 2000s-era digital camera, lack of good editing software, and the fact that I only owned two NECA turtles and two MOTU Classics figures, it was unlikely that any additional footage was going to be shot regardless.

Might have been interesting to see. I could see Skeletor being all over the ooze for new warriors.
    I am Imp's number one fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Rikki Roxx View Post
    This came up last week on the TMNT forum.

As I mentioned there, as a fan of both I imagine that the art would look amazing but the story would be godawful. I know that with things like this, some people really, truly enjoy the "5-year old kid playing with his toys in the tub" method of "storytelling", and I acknowledge that "fanservice" has its place sometimes... but I can't see this being anything but insanely goofy.

Like, I know I'm gonna get yelled at for admitting this, but I totally skipped the TMNT/Batman cross-over comics. Saw some previews from the first series, and it was awful in every way I'd ever feared, so I just Nope'd it. Then they did sequels, and everything I saw from those looked even worse. I know some people swear by them but that kind of thing just isn't for me. And had this ever come out, I have to believe that it would've been in the same vein.

Those sketches are admittedly very cool, though. But I'm fine with it not having actually happened.
    I agree with this, for the most part. I read and enjoyed some of those crossovers (only read the first two Batman/TMNT arcs, but the MOTU/Thundercats and MOTU/DC Injustice arcs dovetail with that type of storytelling). I say I enjoyed them, but only in that silly, fun, over-The-too manner they were presented in; I assume this series wolves been handled much the same.

The TMNT/Ghostbusters crossovers were handled better, and actually had some ramifications within the Universe of the IDW TMNT comic, which is easily my favorite comic book series ever.
    MOTU Origins Most Wanted: Skeleteen, Prince Keldor, Anti-Eternia Characters, and for the love of the Sorceress and Julie Winston, ODIPHUS!!!

Instagram: Just_Thommy
    Hermione's Toy Box on Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8C...xlwUttPSJAUZMA

Quote Originally Posted by Uki View Post
    I agree with this, for the most part. I read and enjoyed some of those crossovers (only read the first two Batman/TMNT arcs, but the MOTU/Thundercats and MOTU/DC Injustice arcs dovetail with that type of storytelling). I say I enjoyed them, but only in that silly, fun, over-The-too manner they were presented in; I assume this series wolves been handled much the same.

The TMNT/Ghostbusters crossovers were handled better, and actually had some ramifications within the Universe of the IDW TMNT comic, which is easily my favorite comic book series ever.
    I'd actually argue that the MOTU/Thundercats and MOTU/Injustice cross-overs were some of the best-executed examples. I felt that they each told a good story with just the right amount of fanservice stuff without falling full-blown into camp.

The Thundercats one did skew a bit more "goofy" but it did feel rather in-tune with the cartoon source material, so in-context it was pretty acceptable. It felt consistent with the cartoons but with just a slightly more "grown-up" tone. I thought they did that series about as well as it could ever be done, frankly.

My thing with most cross-overs is that everything sounds neat as a pitch, but not everything goes together like chocolate and peanut butter. Sometimes it's chocolate and mayonnaise. Sometimes you get great stuff like Superman vs. Aliens or Superman vs. Terminator (by the way, "Death to the Future" is the BEST mini-series subtitle of all time, easily), but for every one of those you got a million that are just sort of "there", y'know?
    My matches, toy reviews, promos and more are on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxr...awnHgDz1ceDcfA