Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: Rio Blast supposed to be a cyborg or something?

  1. #1
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    245

    Rio Blast supposed to be a cyborg or something?

    Ive always been curious about Rio Blast.Besides him being the only actual cowboy lawman, was he supposed to be a cyborg or something because of his blasters inside his knee caps and forearms and that backpack thingy with the headset?

  2. #2
    Heroic Warrior Smitty.81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Wichita Falls, TX, USA
    Posts
    1,234
    I think so. The ones on his hands and his back pack could be just weapons that he could take off but the guns in his chest and legs would suggest he's not entirely human.

    Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    MASTERS OF THE SMITTYVERSE
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 10/27/2021

  3. #3
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    3,840
    I wonder how a western cowboy ended up on eternity lol. Makes no sense.

    Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Heroic Warrior Smitty.81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Wichita Falls, TX, USA
    Posts
    1,234
    Quote Originally Posted by unclassified View Post
    I wonder how a western cowboy ended up on eternity lol. Makes no sense.

    Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk
    Maybe Colonel Glenn and some western novels on her ship that she let him read?

    Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    MASTERS OF THE SMITTYVERSE
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 10/27/2021

  5. #5
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    3,840
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty.81 View Post
    Maybe Colonel Glenn and some western novels on her ship that she let him read?

    Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    Lol maybe.. I never heard of him as a kid. I had to have been out of motu by then. Last figures i got a modulok and king hsss. And I was already out of he man by then. Last stuff I got before that was horde figures and fright zone. So 3rd grade I'd say I was out and 4th grade was when I got modulok and king hsss with some saved money I had. I remember not really playing with them. G.i. joe was full force and fishing, catching snakes, turtles and BMX was were far superior to toys lol.

    Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Heroic Warrior Smitty.81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Wichita Falls, TX, USA
    Posts
    1,234
    Colonel Glenn, Marlena Glenn, wife of Randor mother of He-Man.

    Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    MASTERS OF THE SMITTYVERSE
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 10/27/2021

  7. #7
    Heroic Warrior AlexApprobation's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    California
    Posts
    251
    I always saw him as a cyborg. Like Smitty said, the guns in his chest, legs, and forearms would strongly imply cybernetics.

    The Classics bio says:
    As the sole survivor of a group of heroic explorers from Loredos in a starband near Eternia, Rio ended up as the “law” in that lost frontier.
    So maybe those people were influenced by Earth westerns? Like the Galaxy Quest aliens thought the show transmissions were historical documents and applied them to their culture?
    Tweeterhead Statue Want List: He-Man 2.0, Battle Cat, Panthor, Tung Lashor, Rattlor, Zodak (200X style), She-Ra 2.0, Sorceress, Buzz Off, Webstor, Kobra Khan, King Hiss, Scare Glow

  8. #8
    Eternian Henchman motu77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    New Oxford, PA
    Posts
    4,216
    Quote Originally Posted by unclassified View Post
    I wonder how a western cowboy ended up on eternity lol. Makes no sense.

    Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk
    I always figured it was a way to bridge Bravestarr and MOTU. At some point it would be revealed that Rio Blast was a planetary Marshall who was Bravestarr’s partner at one point. I’d still like to see some Bravestarr figures in origins or at least in the 5.5 vintage style.
    Mike Jr. 1983-2008 the void left will never be filled. Rest in Peace Brother.
    Sgt Weigand

    eBay Feedback


    " Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elswhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us."
    --Calvin and Hobbes

  9. #9
    Heroic Warrior Smitty.81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Wichita Falls, TX, USA
    Posts
    1,234
    Quote Originally Posted by motu77 View Post
    I always figured it was a way to bridge Bravestarr and MOTU. At some point it would be revealed that Rio Blast was a planetary Marshall who was Bravestarr’s partner at one point. I’d still like to see some Bravestarr figures in origins or at least in the 5.5 vintage style.
    I love the idea of a Filmation shared universe, that could also include New Adventures or at least elements of NA? Maybe Primus started a colony on Eternia but the colonists wanted more independence and that's what started the war that lead to the catechism. Etheria and New Texas could be other colonies and were cut off from Primus some how. Then by the time NA takes place all the colonies are long forgotten.

    Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    MASTERS OF THE SMITTYVERSE
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 10/27/2021

  10. #10
    Heroic Warrior FASAfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    152
    Quote Originally Posted by motu77 View Post
    I always figured it was a way to bridge Bravestarr and MOTU. At some point it would be revealed that Rio Blast was a planetary Marshall who was Bravestarr’s partner at one point. I’d still like to see some Bravestarr figures in origins or at least in the 5.5 vintage style.
    Bravestarr all the way for Rio Blast.

    The Bravestarr toys were first released in 1986 with the cartoon a year later. Rio Blast was released in 1986.

    Rio Blast's look is a notable departure even considering the number of odd dudes that Mattel created. Just today, my 10 year-old son noticed my recently acquired NECA Rio Blast staction figure and commented that he didn't look like a MOTU character.

    As for Rio Blast being a cyborg, he certainly does seem a blend of flesh and tech in which Mattel liked to dally. Also included are Mekaneck, Extendar, Dragstor, Rotar and Twistoid. - not to mention what was done in POP with Hordak. I'm sure there are other examples, but that's off the top of my head and I limited my answer to the vintage line.

    Although I know Extendar and Dragstor have vintage comics that explore their origins and Mekaneck's origin is explored in the cartoon (I think?), one has to wonder exactly how these individuals survived their transformations into cyborgs/cyborg-like entities. I mean, Rio Blast's guts open up to reveal a cannon and Dragstor has a wheel in his chest. Mekaneck must not have a biological spinal cord any more and how do Rotar and Twistoid poop?

  11. #11
    Heroic Warrior Smitty.81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Wichita Falls, TX, USA
    Posts
    1,234
    Quote Originally Posted by FASAfan View Post

    As for Rio Blast being a cyborg, he certainly does seem a blend of flesh and tech in which Mattel liked to dally. Also included are Mekaneck, Extendar, Dragstor, Rotar and Twistoid. - not to mention what was done in POP with Hordak. I'm sure there are other examples, but that's off the top of my head and I limited my answer to the vintage line.
    Everyone forgets poor Man-E-Faces. That guy is clearly using cybernetic enhancements to control his monster form. Ah **** he's MOTU's version of the Hulk!

    Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    MASTERS OF THE SMITTYVERSE
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 10/27/2021

  12. #12
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by FASAfan View Post
    ... and how do Rotar and Twistoid poop?
    While they're spinning. You do NOT want to be near them when it's happening.

  13. #13
    Widget
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by urrutiap View Post
    Ive always been curious about Rio Blast.Besides him being the only actual cowboy lawman, was he supposed to be a cyborg or something because of his blasters inside his knee caps and forearms and that backpack thingy with the headset?
    This is a good read on the topic. https://battleramblog.com/tag/rio-blast/

    When you see the concept designs, clearly cyborg à la Extendar & Dragstor, and had they stuck with Colonel Blast it would fit the Horde experiment backstory so much better.

    The cowboy theme always annoyed me, even as a kid. It was difficult meshing sword & sorcery with science fiction enough as it was without throwing cowboys into the mix.

  14. #14
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    3,840
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty.81 View Post
    Colonel Glenn, Marlena Glenn, wife of Randor mother of He-Man.

    Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    I know who she is. I'm saying Rio blast.

    Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    3,840
    Quote Originally Posted by motu77 View Post
    I always figured it was a way to bridge Bravestarr and MOTU. At some point it would be revealed that Rio Blast was a planetary Marshall who was Bravestarr’s partner at one point. I’d still like to see some Bravestarr figures in origins or at least in the 5.5 vintage style.
    Yeah I have no experience with brave star

    Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

  16. #16
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    245
    The only interesting time where Marshal Bravestarr did a cartoon crossover was with Sherlock Holmes involving drug abuse. Back then I was aware of that Sherlock Holmes in the future show but wasnt into it that much since Transformers was still on along with repeats of He-Man on WGN and TBS at the time.

    Jem is kind of officially in the G.I. Joe and Transformers universe since Cobra Commander is in a trenchcoat and hes in an episode of Jem for like a couple of seconds for whatever reason

  17. #17
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jul 2020
    Posts
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaffleman View Post
    The cowboy theme always annoyed me, even as a kid. It was difficult meshing sword & sorcery with science fiction enough as it was without throwing cowboys into the mix.
    Yup. I understand that MOTU was at the point they had gone from top of the block to "chasing the new hotness to stay relevant" and they'd had some internal changes that led to changes in how designs came about but a big part of what put MOTU in the "I used to like that" camp instead of "I still collect it" (besides GI Joe and Transformers being a lot better for me) was the heavy influx of all the sci-fi and non-fantasy stuff. The very things they were adding to keep the line relevant were what drove me away. The high-tech gadgets, such as lasers, vehicles, and computers, were bad enough for me as a kid when they were barely there (with the exception of Man-E-Faces, dude was awesome) and I either ignored them or didn't get them. I wanted strict fantasy. Then The Horde showed up and everyone had some sort of tech to them and I was done. I still looked at the figures when in the toy aisle but none jumped out at me as cool. I remember seeing Rio Blast on the shelf and laughing at him. He was just so ridiculous.

  18. #18
    Heroic Warrior FASAfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    152
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty.81 View Post
    Everyone forgets poor Man-E-Faces. That guy is clearly using cybernetic enhancements to control his monster form. Ah **** he's MOTU's version of the Hulk!
    Duh! Good catch!

  19. #19
    Heroic Warrior Smitty.81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Wichita Falls, TX, USA
    Posts
    1,234
    Quote Originally Posted by urrutiap View Post
    The only interesting time where Marshal Bravestarr did a cartoon crossover was with Sherlock Holmes involving drug abuse. Back then I was aware of that Sherlock Holmes in the future show but wasnt into it that much since Transformers was still on along with repeats of He-Man on WGN and TBS at the time.

    Jem is kind of officially in the G.I. Joe and Transformers universe since Cobra Commander is in a trenchcoat and hes in an episode of Jem for like a couple of seconds for whatever reason
    All three cartoons used the same Geraldo Rivera type reporter. Sadly nothing connects the various Filmation cartoon, at least not that I'm aware of...

    Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    MASTERS OF THE SMITTYVERSE
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 10/27/2021

  20. #20
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cox's Creek, KY
    Posts
    549
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty.81 View Post
    All three cartoons used the same Geraldo Rivera type reporter.
    "Hector Ramirez" also tied those shows to Inhumanoids (and one of the second series Earth Corps figures was supposed to be Ace with a new codename). Then there was COPS which had two or three characters who were the kids of Joes. Speaking of which, the character Marissa Fairborne in the post-movie Transformers episodes was supposed to be the daughter of Lady Jaye and Flint (old Flint even made one appearance).

    Sadly nothing connects the various Filmation cartoon, at least not that I'm aware of...
    The only thing I know of is that there was a gold state of John Blackstar in the background of one MOTU scene but the script never acknowledges that it's there. Considering that they're all space-operas it wouldn't be hard to make them cross-over and I think that's where most fans who want it to happen are coming from.
    My friend told me to stop quoting the Monkees. I thought she was joking. But then I saw her face.

  21. #21
    Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    7,350
    Quote Originally Posted by unclassified View Post
    I wonder how a western cowboy ended up on eternity lol. Makes no sense.
    Like this:

    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    Astronauts John Blackstar and Marlena Glenn discover a Lorentzian wormhole while surveying a geodesic anomaly in space-time, and are unable to overcome its gravity. The particles emitted by the photon-drive of the ship piloted by John Blackstar disrupt the umbilicus of the wormhole, transporting him to Sagar, and the Rainbow Warrior piloted by Marlena Glenn to Eternia.

    Planetary marshall of New Texas, Lucas Conway, retires after his deputy, Rio Blast, is crippled in an accident. Rio Blast travels to Eternia where he is fitted with cybernetic enhancements by Man-At-Arms, and Bravestarr replaces Conway as planetary marshall of New Texas.

    Vipra, a Repton with the power to hypnotize, travels to New Texas to retrieve the Lost Book of the Ancients, which contains a spell that will free her ancestors, the Snakemen, from the Void.

  22. #22
    Outlaw Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Monroe, LA
    Posts
    6,313
    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty.81 View Post
    Everyone forgets poor Man-E-Faces. That guy is clearly using cybernetic enhancements to control his monster form. Ah **** he's MOTU's version of the Hulk!
    No love for Trap Jaw, perhaps the original MOTU cyborg, either. Whoever made him one was clearly not nice to him. Sy Klone might have been one too, or like Faker a totally robotic being. I was out of MOTU by the time Rio Blast came along, and it seems he was not easily shoehorned into continuity although it is a cool figure as far as play value from what I have seen. Bravestar was way ahead of its time; it might have done better after Joss Whedon's Firefly brought the sci-fi western more toward the mainstream.
    Last edited by Dave-Man; September 21, 2021 at 07:09am.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

    "All you have is your fire, and the place you need to reach
    Don't you ever tame your demons, but always keep them on a leash"
    - Hozier, "Arsonist's Lullabye"

  23. #23
    Heroic Warrior Smitty.81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Wichita Falls, TX, USA
    Posts
    1,234
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-Man View Post
    No love for Trap Jaw, perhaps the original MOTU cyborg, either. Whoever made him one was clearly not nice to him. Sy Klone might have been one too, or like Faker a totally robotic being. I was out of MOTU by the time Rio Blast came along, and it seems he was not easily shoehorned into continuity although it is a cool figure as far as play value from what I have seen. Bravestar was way ahead of its time; it might have done better after Joss Whedon's Firefly brought the sci-fi western more toward the mainstream.
    I think Trapjaw was a given for MOTU cyborgs. As for space westerns we'd be in better shape if Firefly had been more successful. As for now the best we have is The Mandalorian.

    Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    MASTERS OF THE SMITTYVERSE
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 10/27/2021

  24. #24
    Heroic Warrior Thrillhouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by justwannalook View Post
    While they're spinning. You do NOT want to be near them when it's happening.
    And I believe that's what they call a Rio Blast.

  25. #25
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    4,014
    I always find it weirdly fascinating where people draw the line. From the very beginning MOTU was a giant melting pot of everything that has ever been fun or cool or appealed to small boys. We started with Barbarians, skeletons, monster men... moved into robots and cyborgs. By the time we were done there were pirates, Superheroes, ninjas, knights, and dinosaurs in the mix... often with any combination of those elements. but for some reason 'cowboy' stands out as a bridge too far. Heck... Cyborg Cowboy doesn't belong... but the Robot Horses were just fine

    Personally I always wanted him, but couldn't find him in stores... just a figure with THAT MUCH FIREPOWER was automatically a win for me. He looked amazing.

    For me, he blends in perfectly.... EVERYTHING blends in with MOTU. that's part of the magic of the line. Everything imaginable fits in here. If I were to try to find someone who DOESN'T... it would be Ram Man. The scale is off, the articulation is off... everythign about that figure looks like it belonged in a different toy line.... but he was still awesome too.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •