Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 234

Thread: Hostile Makeover: The Man Who Hijacked Masters of the Universe

  1. #1
    Heroic Warrior FASAfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    153

    Hostile Makeover: The Man Who Hijacked Masters of the Universe

    So, I’ve checked on and off here, waiting for someone to bring this up. I didn’t really want to, myself. In fact, this is my second go at posting it; I stopped myself the first time.

    However, I post it now out of 1.) Genuine curiosity: is this video moderated here? And, 2.) I feel like we need he-man.org members in the discussion, either side. Regardless, this video is relevant community news in and of itself, regardless of the subject matter. So, don’t shoot the messenger.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VrLY2k-Yqo&t=943s

  2. #2
    Court Magician
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    63
    I don't think I'm going to watch that. I don't really see how this is "news", per se, since from what I heard it's basically one guy's opinion of another. I did see that Scott offered to talk with him directly, but that Retroblasting is refusing to. Hearing the 'story' from a secondhand source (assuming there's even some fact to it, and it isn't all just conjecture), then refusing to speak with the primary source just tells me that this wasn't about the reality of the situation, but merely a chance to spout off a narrative, then crossing your arms and refusing to listen to anything else. This Retroblasting fellow just seems interested in making controversial takes that hope brings him more attention, reminding me of Scott's "Mattel is losing MOTU in 2023" narrative that he was pushing for some additional attention.
    Last edited by Agranymere; September 20, 2021 at 12:52pm.

  3. #3
    Heroic Warrior depp76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    1,801
    I can't sit through 37 minutes of that lol. I agree I would not call that relevant news at all, but rather an opinionated video instead.

  4. #4
    Heroic Warrior FASAfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    153
    It’s news because it involves our community. The news is not necessarily what the video is about, per se. hard to explain in writing.

    Surface news: Video creator discusses important MOTU RL figure and his work.

    Deeper news: Video mentions community members - nay, leaders - and has caused a robust discussion in the comments section of said video. He-Man.org members should know about this.

  5. #5
    Widget
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    34
    Here's how it started:

    Retroblasting did a video on how Hasbro shouldn't be doing crowed sourced products (HasLab) and just release them to retail.

    Toyguru then made a video called "Let me tell you why you're wrong" offering a fact filled response as to why Hasbro can't do these projects for retail using his knowledge as someone in the industry.

    Then Retroblasting did the hit piece video on Toyguru, because he was butt-hurt.


    I'm not a huge fan of Scott's, but the Retroblasting video came off as petty...

  6. #6
    Heroic Warrior FASAfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by EdHaskel View Post
    Here's how it started:

    Retroblasting did a video on how Hasbro shouldn't be doing crowed sourced products (HasLab) and just release them to retail.

    Toyguru then made a video called "Let me tell you why you're wrong" offering a fact filled response as to why Hasbro can't do these projects for retail using his knowledge as someone in the industry.

    Then Retroblasting did the hit piece video on Toyguru, because he was butt-hurt.


    I'm not a huge fan of Scott's, but the Retroblasting video came off as petty...
    Not just ToyGuru, but, yes. What is said in this video, again deeper than the surface message, is what’s news.

    But wait. This is 2021. Hunter Biden’s laptop isn’t news. Twitter. I understand now...

  7. #7
    Heroic Warrior wundarwarrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Eaton OH
    Posts
    1,952
    I sat thru this video which includes incorrect facts and is a wordy attack on Scott. Personally I'm not a fan of Scott or Retroblasting. Does Michael have some valid points? Yes. I would much rather see ppl debate love or fist fight than pass videos back and forth or type arguments. Be adults. Now (mortal kombat voice) "FIGHT!"

  8. #8
    Heroic Warrior horseman1981's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Buffalo,NY
    Posts
    1,762
    Well, that was one hell of a beat down. Though this was a pretty negative videoÖ.there was one positive. We never had to see his Seinfeld impersonation of a Soviet style communist wardrobe.
    Comedian on the matty forums.

  9. #9
    Heroic Warrior Lich Leech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Battle Ram Blog
    Posts
    4,486
    That's too bad. I remember watching the Retroblasting 2013 "He-Man Tours Snake Mountain" video with my son, and it was a blast. Not digging the descent into angry fan rant/personal attack stuff.

  10. #10
    Heroic Warrior nickdoobs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    743
    that video makes me want to buy a Mighty Spector figure.
    Hit me up on instagram @MOTUdoobs

  11. #11
    Court Magician
    Join Date
    May 2021
    Posts
    45
    I don't have the years of knowledge of MOTU fandom as most of y'all.

    Still, the ToyGuru guy has always struck me as a bit more self-important than reality. Someone with relevant industry experience, but who tends to lay rakes down on the ground and them proceed to, one by one, step on them himself.

    That all said, while I don't particularly care for the person or his insistence of relevance in the industry (yes, I know his resume), this video strikes me as a wildly irrational overreaction, a childish, infantile tantrum.

    e.g., the "Mighty Spector" figure is outrageous ego-driven junk, but a 37 minute video tantrum against a person doesn't exactly help make the case against them.

  12. #12
    Life is good Dice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    6,314
    Can someone post a basic summary? I don't want to give clickbait guys clicks.
    "A fool always finds a greater fool to admire him."

  13. #13
    Heroic Warrior Glasstor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Caliternia
    Posts
    1,020
    I’m sorta taken aback and a little offended that these ********* think it’s ok now to start blaming Val and Dan over Mattel stealing ideas? Scott is clearly full of himself but, when these people start throwing wild accusations at people that have no control over what Matty does, like they are some sort of power players that control the toy industry, I’m out. I’m so tired of uneducated people whose lives revolve around how many clicks they can get and how much hate and anger they can build up.

    I’m sorry I watched that video. I feel infected and dirty and like I’ll never be clean again.

  14. #14
    Heroic Warrior nickdoobs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    743
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    Can someone post a basic summary? I don't want to give clickbait guys clicks.
    Imagine being on the toy aisle and hearing a kid throwing a temper tantrum cause his mom wouldn't buy him what he wanted... for 37 minutes straight.
    Hit me up on instagram @MOTUdoobs

  15. #15
    Heroic Warrior horseman1981's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Buffalo,NY
    Posts
    1,762
    Quote Originally Posted by nickdoobs View Post
    Imagine being on the toy aisle and hearing a kid throwing a temper tantrum cause his mom wouldn't buy him what he wanted... for 37 minutes straight.
    Everyone just jumped when I screamed laughing.

    This YouTube show made some pretty big accusations against Val, Pixel-Dan and Scott (Toyguru.) The tough part is this guy has a hell of a collection. I watched that video as well.

    Legend has it this guy smiled once….
    Last edited by horseman1981; September 20, 2021 at 04:49pm.
    Comedian on the matty forums.

  16. #16
    Heroic Warrior Man-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Midwesternia
    Posts
    239
    Michael is the definition of an insufferable gatekeeper. Dude is so entrenched in the past that itís rotting his brain.

  17. #17
    Heroic Warrior depp76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    1,801
    I mean look at how many thumbs down his video has gotten.

  18. #18
    Evil Warrior jibernish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    1,757
    Quote Originally Posted by Glasstor View Post
    Iím sorta taken aback and a little offended that these ********* think itís ok now to start blaming Val and Dan over Mattel stealing ideas? Scott is clearly full of himself but, when these people start throwing wild accusations at people that have no control over what Matty does, like they are some sort of power players that control the toy industry, Iím out. Iím so tired of uneducated people whose lives revolve around how many clicks they can get and how much hate and anger they can build up.

    Iím sorry I watched that video. I feel infected and dirty and like Iíll never be clean again.
    I agree, that bit against Val and Dan was uncalled for. This whole you are either for us or against stuff is b.s.

    I think Michael was right to call Mattel out over the Copy-Cat thing. I wasn't around for Sky High - so I don't know what went on there. But Dan and Val couldn't have fixed it nor is it their duty to do so.

  19. #19
    Heroic Warrior Glasstor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Caliternia
    Posts
    1,020
    Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    I agree, that bit against Val and Dan was uncalled for. This whole you are either for us or against stuff is b.s.

    I think Michael was right to call Mattel out over the Copy-Cat thing. I wasn't around for Sky High - so I don't know what went on there. But Dan and Val couldn't have fixed it nor is it their duty to do so.
    Iím in total agreement about calling Mattel out.

  20. #20
    Evil Warrior jibernish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    1,757
    I agree with him though on this: I could live without Spector, the Sword of He, King Grayskull, and much of the bios canon. I can see why he thought it was a good idea to try and combine all the storylines together, but it didn't really work for me. A lot of it seems silly or overly messy to me. Takes out the mystery and I like some mystery.

  21. #21
    Snoogans Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    13,619
    The topic of this video was brought up in the last couple of pages of the "Mattel No Longer Owns the Rights to MOTU" thread.

    This was my response there....

    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    I'm not trying to just crap all over RetroBlasting because I do like some of the content there... and I'm also not giving Toyguru a free pass because there is reason for a lot of the controversy that surrounded him over the years. But there's a lot of factual inaccuracies and crazy assumptions made in that video (some valid points are made, but other things are just incorrect). This is not an exhaustive list, but...

    -RB says that Scott purposely put his face on the Palace Guard head. In reality, the 4HM made that design without Scott knowing it until they showed it to him.

    -RB claims that it was Scott who pushed for all of the brands sold on MattyCollector (MOTU, DC, Ghostbusters) to be online exclusive and not to go retail. BUT...

    *MOTU Classics launched not terribly long after the 200X line failed to catch on with kids. Yes, we can blame case ratios and variants clogging the shelves for that problem. But none the less, from Mattel's viewpoint, they were ready to let it go dormant entirely again. It was an uphill battle to even get it made as an online collector's line.

    *DCUC was at retail to begin with. As sales were slipping, it shifted to the MattyCollector model to keep it going rather than have it stop entirely right then and there.

    *With specific regards to Ghostbusters, RB claims that it was Scott keeping it from going to retail, and then right after he left, suddenly Mattel decided to put it out at retail, as if Scott was the only factor preventing that. The reality is that Ghostbusters on MattyCollector launched when there was no new movie coming out (there was probably talks of one of the dozens of versions of Ghostbusters 3 at the time happening, but of course that never really materialized). The Matty figures got mass retail versions released (using the same tooling) when the 2016 Ghostbusters movie came out. In general (not just from Mattel) there was a lot of merchandise based on the original movie being released in addition to anything based on the then-new movie because the brand as a whole was in the public eye again. It was a no-brainer to release already tooled figures based on the original film at mass retail, especially since the kept the scale the same for the figures based on the 2016 movie.


    This is not a rocket science to understand.
    ____________________________________________

  22. #22
    Heroic Warrior T-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    N.W. Indiana
    Posts
    1,119
    Quote Originally Posted by Glasstor View Post
    Iím sorta taken aback and a little offended that these ********* think itís ok now to start blaming Val and Dan over Mattel stealing ideas? Scott is clearly full of himself but, when these people start throwing wild accusations at people that have no control over what Matty does, like they are some sort of power players that control the toy industry, Iím out. Iím so tired of uneducated people whose lives revolve around how many clicks they can get and how much hate and anger they can build up.

    Iím sorry I watched that video. I feel infected and dirty and like Iíll never be clean again.
    This

    My suggestion also is don't watch it. Too bad so many people are so negative and hateful, either out of uncontrolled emotions, or just to get subscribers.
    MYP SKELETOR , Kay-la, ABC GIANTS, MYP Evil-lyn, MYP Sorceress, MYP Captain Miro, Queen Andreeno ,MYP King Randor, MYP or Dc Tri-Klops, MYP Squeeeze, General Rattlor, MYP Roboto

  23. #23
    Heroic Warrior King Daddy Bo-Hog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    315
    Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    I agree with him though on this: I could live without Spector, the Sword of He, King Grayskull, and much of the bios canon. I can see why he thought it was a good idea to try and combine all the storylines together, but it didn't really work for me. A lot of it seems silly or overly messy to me. Takes out the mystery and I like some mystery.
    I never kept up with Classics or the bios when it was all coming out, but I've gone back and looked through a lot of it. You hit the nail right on the head for how I feel about it though. I love the mystery, and not knowing everything. Its why I love the original mini comics, and the different continuities established over the years, and don't mind not knowing about the origin of everything.

    I'm not going to watch this video, because the first impression I got was that it was starting off as another *****fest of Kevin Smith/Revelation. I also hate videos that feel the need to interject little clips from movies for entertainment value--I think its amateurish and annoying. Just make the damn video you want, dude. I've watched a fair number of Scott's videos too and he does the same thing.

    There's interesting things that come out in his videos. I don't really know or care much about the big controversy about him and all that. But Scott does mispronounce WAY too many words, and that annoys me.

  24. #24
    Council Elder zodak74's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Point Dread
    Posts
    15,735
    Who cares about any of this?
    Clearing out Classics, Super7 and vintage MOTU & PoP figures... check out my threads in the Marketplace for Fisto, Sorceress, BA variants, SDCC exclusives and more!

  25. #25
    Heroic Warrior Glasstor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Caliternia
    Posts
    1,020
    Quote Originally Posted by T-man View Post
    This

    My suggestion also is don't watch it. Too bad so many people are so negative and hateful, either out of uncontrolled emotions, or just to get subscribers.
    Yeah, thatís always been my motto. Literally the second one of these videos I have watched and I didnít even make it through the whole thing

    Sometimes, to be informed, Iíve got to see what everyone is talking about and wade into the muck.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •