Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Hostile Makeover: The Man Who Hijacked Masters of the Universe

In Stereo Where Available Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stygian360 View Post
    What's funny is I sold off the majority of my Classics collection a number of years ago and yet hung onto my Mighty Spector. I don't think there's a collector who if they are truly honest with themselves saw MS as a 'glory project' for Scott. He ran the line and made sure it stayed on course (with fans subbing of course) and when it came time to insert his childhood created character into Classics he went for it.
    And originally Scott wasn't even going to make Mighty Spector part of the 30th anniversary line.

The idea behind the 30th anniversary line of 6 characters (2 of which were the original create a character contest winner, Fearless Photog, and the then-new contest winner, Castle Grayskull Man) was for it to be a line of all new characters for fans to "discover" like we often did back in the 80s when we saw new figures on the shelves that we had no prior info or knowledge about.

While many of us (myself included) questioned this approach on the basis that we knew eventually the line would end and those slots could have gone to give us more existing characters, the idea of was well intended. And it did give us Draego-Man, who is a really REALLY cool figure.

Originally Scott was trying to get some of the former Mattel employees who worked on the original line and comic book industry professionals to come in and create new characters. For the most part that didn't work out (likely to either a lack of interest, time, or them wanting too much money) with one exception. Scott initially didn't intend to be one of the people creating a new character, but when these options fell through that it how it came to be that he made a figure (Spector), the 4HM made one, Terry with Mattel design made one, etc.

This was a plan that he went with after others fell through. It was never some evil slow-burn scheme that he had been concocting all along to eventually get his childhood figure creation in the line.

[quote]I actually dig the idea because it moves the mythos forward rather than Classics merely being a retread of the 80's line. Oh and Retroblasting's comment about Scott creating MS as a child to stave off boredom while being lonely... wow, low blow. I'm sure many of us would raise our hands if we were asked if we spent time lonely as children because of whatever circumstance, but RB implying Scott was lonely because he was friendless, that's just dirty pool and Michael should be ashamed of himself for going for the throat.[/quiote]

Yeah, that was pretty tasteless. And why would a child making up their own fictional character mean they are friendless? I'm sure many kids did that. And odds are many who grew up to work in some aspect of the toy and entertainment industry used or adapted ideas that they had as kids in things they have worked on and made as adults.

Quote Originally Posted by motogp_fanatic View Post
    I understand your point but with new tooling, Scott is refering to the basic human(He-Man) and reptile(Skeletor) buck. If we see Rio Blast, Extendar or Mekaneck with action feature, it is a new tooling. Also Snake Men like King Hsss, Squeess and Kobra Khan with action features. Continuos vehicle and playset release means investment is pouring in on the line which means it is healthy and going strong forward.

Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoffman View Post
    Sorry, I'm not sure what you're trying to communicate. You seem to be repeating basic information that we're all aware of. I'm well aware of what constitutes new or reused tooling.

The fact of the matter is, they are working through all the normal characters that any MOTU line would work through. And we are getting new tooled figures, playsets, vehicles, and creatures.

Any line thst is managed in a healthy manner isn't going to dump a whole bunch of new tooling at once. No, you will never see all the Snakemen at once or anything like that. It wouldn't be good pacing for a line anyway.

I dont think we're necessarily disagreeing on any point, but you keep replying with pretty basic statements and I'm trying to dig a little deeper into the rationale behind the pace and structure of the line.
    Exactly. And I touched on this directly to Scott and he chose to ignore what I was saying. Origins already has Mosquitor, Ram man, Sky Sled, Wind Raider, castle Grayskull, wind raider, land shark and the Grayskull robot/space suit. Using those metrics he posited himself, Origins is doing just fine, and certainly bettter than Classics was two years into that line.
    I remember the answers we used to get when everyone was clamoring for Ram Man back in the day, that the line wasnít in a place to be able to support fully tooled figures.

Widget
    As far as the Snake Men go, the logic isn't quite there to go in with them until the majority of the Horde is made. The retail version of Horde figures Horde Trooper and Grizzlor haven't even gotten inserted into a wave yet. Grey Horde Trooper will be good for army building.

82 series, only missing Zoar if you consider that a 'figure.' I could see it released as a two pack to sell another Teela perhaps.

All figures from 83 are done.

84 is missing Mekaneck, Whiplash, and Kobra Khan. I think they all might require the deluxe figure treatment.

My thoughts are that classics was such a small little blip, every time we got anything, it seemed like a miracle. It started out so slow and then just kept building and that was the excitement of collecting that line to me. I give credit to Scott, to the horsemen, the entire mattel teamÖ.but most of all I feel the credit of classics is with us. The fans. We worked together to keep this line going, to buy extras, get others on board. To make those damn minimums. I also think that itís really hard to compare a line that was only offered online and probably had production runs that were very low to a mass market line that has high production numbers. Again, just my thoughts. I could be wrong.

Origins to me feels like it came out swinging. Lots of figures, exclusives, beats, deluxe, vehicles and a playset. All in just over a year. Thatís a huge push and huge investment in my opinion. Now, I wonder if it got to big to quick? I donít think it did, but thatís my opinion. Im hopeful for the future but like most motu fans, I think Iím always dreading for it to end with the snap of a Thanos finger.
    Comedian on the matty forums.

If you thought RB's video was a bitter hit-piece, then check out this one from LioConvoy that's even more sad.

https://youtu.be/diVc8a3tI1Y

Some random thoughts on all this drama...

• The video by RB was really pathetic and unnecessary. I remember watching his channel 4 or 5 years ago when it had cool toy videos on it. Now it's internet toy feuds...
    • Scott may have his faults, but he gave us years of MOTU Classics which was an amazing and extensive range. He's also a good guy & has always interacted with fans and been positive. Even his response to RB was classy. Just because he grates on some people doesn't make him a bad person with bad intentions. We all have egos and faults. So what if he made a few mistakes? We all do. Pleasing thousands of obsessive toy nerds is an impossible task. The RB video was uncalled for and was filled with factual inaccuracies and hearsay.
    • So he made a figure of his own idea? It didn't replace anything else and nobody had to buy it. Yes, it was cringe, but there was no harm done. Also, it wasn't his idea to put his face on a Palace Guard.
    • The Copicat thing, as previously highlighted, was not a Joe Amato idea - neither the name nor the design. That said; Joe's customs are incredible and he seems less bothered by this than Michael does. At the end of the day, he's using someone else's IP to make customs, right down to the MOTU logo on his packaging.
    • Involving Val and Pixel Dan was just a reach.
    Last edited by herbie747; September 21, 2021 at 06:34pm. Reason: added some notes

Quote Originally Posted by herbie747 View Post
    If you thought RB's video was a bitter hit-piece, then check out this one from LioConvoy that's even more sad.

• The video by RB was really pathetic and unnecessary. I remember watching his channel 4 or 5 years ago when it had cool toy videos on it. Now it's internet toy feuds...
    • Scott may have his faults, but he gave us years of MOTU Classics which was an amazing and extensive range. He's also a good guy & has always interacted with fans and been positive. Even his response to RB was classy. Just because he grates on some people doesn't make him a bad person with bad intentions. We all have egos and faults. So what if he made a few mistakes? We all do. Pleasing thousands of obsessive toy nerds is an impossible task. The RB video was uncalled for and was filled with factual inaccuracies and hearsay.
    • So he made a figure of his own idea? It didn't replace anything else and nobody had to buy it. Yes, it was cringe, but there was no harm done. Also, it wasn't his idea to put his face on a Palace Guard.
    • The Copicat thing, as previously highlighted, was not a Joe Amato idea - neither the name nor the design. That said; Joe's customs are incredible and he seems less bothered by this than Michael does. At the end of the day, he's using someone else's IP to make customs, right down to the MOTU logo on his packaging.
    yikes, clicked on the link, saw the name of the video and image of the video and it autoplayed... made it 30 seconds... yikes. Is the guy a furry? Why is he dressed like a cat?
    cogito ergo doleo

Quote Originally Posted by King Kahn View Post
    yikes, clicked on the link, saw the name of the video and image of the video and it autoplayed... made it 30 seconds... yikes. Is the guy a furry? Why is he dressed like a cat?
    lol I have no idea. YouTube recommended his video after the RB one. He just seems like an angry edgelord who's miffed about getting a warning in this forum.

‹ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar

This is cringey as ****.

Haven't seen the video or know much about but I remember Lio said that he had some anger issues although I might be mistaken.
    Princesses of Power enthusiast

Lio is arguing that you can't criticize companies here. I guess he didn't make it to the 280 page Netflix MOTUR thread, lol.

Ive seen him around before. He's buds with RB. This guy's schtick is being the toy equivalent of a morning zoo shock jock from the 90's.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    This is cringey as ****.
    He showed one of your replies to him in this video.

That was bizarre. I think Val actually comes off pretty good in this video. I think Val handled this guy with much more concern and thoughtfulness than he probably deserves.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post

So because Scott came up with a model for selling items, and other companies took a queue from that and did their own shadier versions of it, he is responsible and should be blamed?
    I never said he should be blamed, you did. I said it's worth mentioning. The model has been abused like crazy. Scott ran it well, but after him it was used to destroy fans wallets.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholighkun View Post
    The model has been abused like crazy. Scott ran it well, but after him it was used to destroy fans wallets.
    This makes no sense. How does the sales model destroy fans wallets? It doesn't affect the cost of the product, and nobody is obligated to buy anything they don't want. Like...how can you choose to buy a product and then accuse somebody else of destroying your wallet?

Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    Lio is arguing that you can't criticize companies here. I guess he didn't make it to the 280 page Netflix MOTUR thread, lol.

Ive seen him around before. He's buds with RB. This guy's schtick is being the toy equivalent of a morning zoo shock jock from the 90's.

- - - Updated - - -

That was bizarre. I think Val actually comes off pretty good in this video. I think Val handled this guy with much more concern and thoughtfulness than he probably deserves.
    yeah, I don't think that video is the defense of his actions he thinks it is and I don't think he realizes it is him that comes off not looking good.
    cogito ergo doleo

Quote Originally Posted by nicholighkun View Post
    I never said he should be blamed, you did. I said it's worth mentioning.
    And now you are basically just arguing semantics. You made that statement as a follow up to your earlier post saying other negative things about Scott (i.e. accusing him of theft), and mostly agreeing (aside from the personal attacks) with this video, which puts A LOT of blame on Scott. In that context, this is only "worth mentioning" if you feel that he should bear some kind of personal responsibility (aka "blame") for creating the model that these other companies have used and (in your opinion) abused.

If you feel that he did nothing wrong by creating that sales model and in no way should be blamed for what others have done in duplicating that sales model, then objectively it would not be worth mentioning in the context of this conversation.

The model has been abused like crazy. Scott ran it well, but after him it was used to destroy fans wallets.
    Collectible toys are a recreational hobby. Nobody is forced to buy them, regardless of how cheap or expensive they are, or through what sales model they are sold. If a toy is too expensive for someone to reasonably afford, they have the option to not buy it. No one is pointing a gun to their head and forcing them to place an order with one of these kickstarterish preorders.

If someone opts into such a preorder and the product comes out significantly differently than described and/or defective (I didn't buy it, but I understand there is an issue with the knee joints of the Haslab Sential), then people do have a right to complain.... even demand the option of a refund if the company is unable to fix the issue with the toy itself. I'm all for pushing any company in that situation to make it right. But to say that the products just shouldn't exist (even when manufactured correctly) due to the price is absurd.
    Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; September 22, 2021 at 03:53pm.

The aforementioned name is enough for me to stay away from the video.

Excellent thoughts too.

Sent from my vivo 1718 using Tapatalk
    By the power of Grayskull!!!!

‹ber Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post

I saw. I do not know why he would share my post, it does not make him look good. I simply pointed out that he is only posting here, because he was banned from another forum because of his posting behavior, and that if he continued that posting behavior here, he would also be banned here. And I was right, so that is not the flex he thinks it is.

I do not know why he would share the private message from Val either. In it, Val appears concilliatory, fair, polite, reasonable, respectfulóall of the superlatives. Sharing that private communication is damning, but not in the way he thinks. It is really not a good look for him.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Dust Viper View Post
    As far as the Snake Men go, the logic isn't quite there to go in with them until the majority of the Horde is made. The retail version of Horde figures Horde Trooper and Grizzlor haven't even gotten inserted into a wave yet. Grey Horde Trooper will be good for army building.

82 series, only missing Zoar if you consider that a 'figure.' I could see it released as a two pack to sell another Teela perhaps.

All figures from 83 are done.

84 is missing Mekaneck, Whiplash, and Kobra Khan. I think they all might require the deluxe figure treatment.
    I believe Zoar is on the Stridor box art along with Sun-Man (on the front). So that's hopeful. There's been the occasional rumour of a creature pack so it'd be good to get both of the birds.

Apparently Geek Dad Life is going to host these two for a debate. Should be worth tuning in for if youíre into train wrecks and cringe.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Man-Man View Post
    Apparently Geek Dad Life is going to host these two for a debate. Should be worth tuning in for if youíre into train wrecks and cringe.
    Wow, I'm no good with cringe at the best of times but that could just be horrific!

I do wonder sometimes if there isn't a touch of WWE about all this...

Quote Originally Posted by Man-Man View Post
    Did they give any indication as to when this will happen?

I really don't see the point in Scott N showing up for a "debate" with a guy who is insulting him.

The RB video was pretty unhinged and definitely took things waaay too far. Scott gains nothing by further engaging with him.

RB possibly had a fair point about how writers and producers these days aren't being great stewards for entertainment properties, but he meandered across several subjects and blamed Scott for far more than one could logically credit him with. And the insults? Those sure eclipsed any valid or interesting points he may have been expressing.

I guess continuing this feud of sorts will help them both get more video views....but I don't see it going well.

Calling someone out about minor toyline management issues years later in a public, slanderous way...? Why?

No, I don't want to watch more of this embarrassing scene, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy Skeletor View Post
    Wow, I'm no good with cringe at the best of times but that could just be horrific!

I do wonder sometimes if there isn't a touch of WWE about all this...
    Scott needs to do a video like this next, I guess:

They mentioned it at the end of their S7 TMNT video from yesterday. Apparently Scott and Michael are both willing to do it, but nothing is scheduled yet. I wonder if Pixel Dan will come OUTTA NOWHERE WITH A DKO!?

Evil Titan of Industry melmoth666's Avatar
    Why does anyone care? The ONLY person with any relevance here is Val, because he still works with Mattel.

... And whether anyone agrees with Val about ANYTHING or not, he OWNS the site and POWERCON and can do whatever he wants regardless of personal motivation. All of these guys are just busking for clicks. Just ignore them because they are irrelevant to the conversation.

All of my complaining is directed at MATTEL and CURRENT employees of Mattel. Because no matter what anyone says about Val, Pixel Dan, Scott, or even Kevin Smith, none of these guys has any ability to change what Mattel does. So I would just focus my energy and grievances toward the people that matter.
    Rambo was a documentary filmed in real time.

Sunday 8PM EST, Scott put a video up about it. Any donations made during the stream are going to Make-A-Wish he said.

I don't know if I'll watch this. However, I think GDL is a really fun and civil channel, and I think he'll moderate it well. He mentioned trying to arrange this and he made it happen looks like.
    I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it.
    - Groucho Marx