Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Hostile Makeover: The Man Who Hijacked Masters of the Universe

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Lich Leech View Post
    Scott needs to do a video like this next, I guess:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8C4lK41SX-Q
    Excellent!

I'm not even gonna watch the supposed debate, the whole thing has smelt fishy from that RB video aired.

Heroic Warrior
    Oh boy, my two least favorite toy YouTubers are having an internet feud.

Like, they both do BS clickbait videos, are both fairly narcissistic, and both act like what they say is the word of god.

Idk, I prefer positive toy channels. Like Robo, he's the best one. I don't even collect 90% of what he collects, but I watch everything he puts out anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by melmoth666 View Post
    Because no matter what anyone says about Val, Pixel Dan, Scott, or even Kevin Smith, none of these guys has any ability to change what Mattel does.
    This is true.
    Hope to see you at Power-Con 2021!
    JVS3 = Val Staples = Power-Con, Event Director | He-Man.Org, Owner | Guy who has been fortunate to work on a LOT of MOTU & POP projects
    Please check out my Facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    I do not know why he would share the private message from Val either. In it, Val appears concilliatory, fair, polite, reasonable, respectful—all of the superlatives. Sharing that private communication is damning, but not in the way he thinks. It is really not a good look for him.
    I think it's an attempt to validate himself.

I wonder why he goes to such lengths to hide his face? And I don't mean that in some snarky way. He hides it everywhere he goes. Not even people in his social circle have photos of him for view.
    "A fool always finds a greater fool to admire him."

I like the Geek Dad Life show - I watch it every week - so I'll watch this too. They are a pretty positive show so it'll be interesting to see how this goes down. I know it doesn't matter because neither party has any influence over Mattel. But I am curious to see if Michael presses Scott on any of the issues at hand. I have been frustrated that Scott either gives partial answers or doesn't answer certain questions in his videos and comment sections. Many of his explanations are only partial answers. I'd like to see how Scott responds live. I don't have the history with Michael so I can't say if he does the same (though I've seen a number of his videos).

For example, with this issue of Hasbro making people pay upfront for their Haslab kickstarter items like Galactus.

Michael asserts that the customers are giving Hasbro an interest free loan, and that Hasbro is making a profit by investing this money and earning interest (basically).

Scott rebutted Michael by saying that Hasbro has to pay for tooling for this, so they aren't making interest off of this upfront payment.

The truth is that they are both partially right. Hasbro does have to use some of that money to pay for their upfront costs of production. But Hasbro makes a profit or they wouldn't be doing this at all, so that profit margin can be invested. But neither side told the whole story, and that bothers me. I find both sides are withholding information that doesn't support their argument. And for this reason I'm interested in seeing them debate.

Heroic Warrior
    Corporations don't 'invest' profits to make interest on them. This isn't Greg in his garage taking cash up front and going out and buying bitcoin.

Companies may make certain investments, but not in the manner that that assertion suggests. Corporations don't even work in real money, it's all about moving numbers around in budgets. The only difference with these pay up front models is that the money goes into the budget pool a year earlier. It's probably not even considered profit at that point, as it can't be declared a legal sale until the goods are delivered. In reality those sales probably go into some sort of internal escrow type budget line. NOT somewhere rehire they're going to be earning interest for the company.

First off, a significant portion of the economy is based off of money that isn't real. We went off the gold standard a long time ago, the money most of us borrowed to buy our houses exists only on ledgers (meaning banks lend out more money than they have actually taken in), not to mention credit cards and governments shenanigans. So much of its isn't real to begin with.

I don't know Hasbro's policies, but neither does Michael or Scott, so we are all just talking in generalities here.

But some corporations do invest cash, usually short term, to earn interest on large sums until they need the funds for something else. I work in corporate accounting. I've seen it. I've made the journal entries.

But also, let's say Hasbro took in $10 million on Galactus. And let's say their profit margin is 50% (I've seen reports that its 50%, but also that it could be as low as 20%, but it doesnt matter here). They have $10 million. They will spend $5 to make and distribute and market the product.

That leaves them $5M left. If Hasbro is operating profitably as a whole, they will either use the money to make other products that they sell at a 50% (or 20, who cares) return on investment. Or they invest it some other way. Or they pay it out to shareholders. If they are smart they dont put $5M under their corporate matress for a year when they be earning money with that money, especially when inflation decreases the value of that money.

If Hasbro is operating at a loss, then they need to borrow money to pay their bills. So the $5M defrays the interest they'd otherwise have to pay on their loans.

In corporate accounting, you are right, budgets come into play, companies that are profitable still take out loans in order to have cash for other things that are more important, etc... but at the end of the day, they are making a return in some way on all the resources they have. And if they have the customers $5M they are going to make a return on it.

You are right, its not considered earned revenue until the product is delivered. I only used the word profit to keep things simple. Profit being the money Hasbro gets to keep after paying all the bills. Its considered prepaid revenue. But Hasbro still gets to do whatever it wants with that money. They don't have to put it away for safe keeping.

- - - Updated - - -

So Michael is right. Hasbro is seeing a net gain off of holding that $10M that the customers could be benefitting from if they paid upon delivery.

My issue is that Michael implies Hasbro is earning interest on $10m, while Scott in implying Hasbro isn't earning anything at all.

Implying might be a strong word, but both are trying to inform the toy buying public by only giving the info that suits their side of the argument.

Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    First off, a significant portion of the economy is based off of money that isn't real. We went off the gold standard a long time ago, the money most of us borrowed to buy our houses exists only on ledgers (meaning banks lend out more money than they have actually taken in), not to mention credit cards and governments shenanigans. So much of its isn't real to begin with.

I don't know Hasbro's policies, but neither does Michael or Scott, so we are all just talking in generalities here.

But some corporations do invest cash, usually short term, to earn interest on large sums until they need the funds for something else. I work in corporate accounting. I've seen it. I've made the journal entries.

But also, let's say Hasbro took in $10 million on Galactus. And let's say their profit margin is 50% (I've seen reports that its 50%, but also that it could be as low as 20%, but it doesnt matter here). They have $10 million. They will spend $5 to make and distribute and market the product.

That leaves them $5M left. If Hasbro is operating profitably as a whole, they will either use the money to make other products that they sell at a 50% (or 20, who cares) return on investment. Or they invest it some other way. Or they pay it out to shareholders. If they are smart they dont put $5M under their corporate matress for a year when they be earning money with that money, especially when inflation decreases the value of that money.

If Hasbro is operating at a loss, then they need to borrow money to pay their bills. So the $5M defrays the interest they'd otherwise have to pay on their loans.

In corporate accounting, you are right, budgets come into play, companies that are profitable still take out loans in order to have cash for other things that are more important, etc... but at the end of the day, they are making a return in some way on all the resources they have. And if they have the customers $5M they are going to make a return on it.

You are right, its not considered earned revenue until the product is delivered. I only used the word profit to keep things simple. Profit being the money Hasbro gets to keep after paying all the bills. Its considered prepaid revenue. But Hasbro still gets to do whatever it wants with that money. They don't have to put it away for safe keeping.

- - - Updated - - -

So Michael is right. Hasbro is seeing a net gain off of holding that $10M that the customers could be benefitting from if they paid upon delivery.

My issue is that Michael implies Hasbro is earning interest on $10m, while Scott in implying Hasbro isn't earning anything at all.

Implying might be a strong word, but both are trying to inform the toy buying public by only giving the info that suits their side of the argument.
    very well explained and thought out. co-signed.
    cogito ergo doleo

Fan-created characters are unauthorized derivative works of an existing intellectual property, which is copyright infringement. So not only can fans not monetize their creations, but if Mattel so chose, they could sue those fans into bankruptcy. Moreover, Mattel cannot "steal" something that does not legally belong to someone else. Fans do not have legal rights to their infringing works, so they cannot be stolen.
    **Grimbot: no personal attacks. Final warning***

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    Not even people in his social circle have photos of him for view.
    I get not liking [insert random youtuber]... but to the point of going through his friends profiles to find a photo of him? What's wrong with you?!
    Last edited by Grimbot; September 22, 2021 at 07:22pm.
    Brings doom to MOTUC with cel accuracy.

Heroic Warrior

- - - Updated - - -

Right, of course they are 'earning' the money, that's the basis of any capitalist venture. I guess my point was that they weren't making significant EXTRA money by taking payment up front.

Thank you for your additional insights from a position of experience.

In Stereo Where Available Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    I just realized... if the two of them were to be merged into one person, we would get...

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BooperScoop View Post
    Oh boy, my two least favorite toy YouTubers are having an internet feud.

Like, they both do BS clickbait videos, are both fairly narcissistic, and both act like what they say is the word of god.

Idk, I prefer positive toy channels. Like Robo, he's the best one. I don't even collect 90% of what he collects, but I watch everything he puts out anyway.
    Who is Robo? Do you have a link to his channel?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    I think it's an attempt to validate himself.

I wonder why he goes to such lengths to hide his face? And I don't mean that in some snarky way. He hides it everywhere he goes. Not even people in his social circle have photos of him for view.
    I have a suspicion, but it would not be polite to share in the thread.

Who is Robo? Do you have a link to his channel?
    I think Booper means the Fwoosh hosted by Robo https://www.youtube.com/c/Thefwoosh
    Princesses of Power enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbot View Post
    I get not liking [insert random youtuber]... but to the point of going through his friends profiles to find a photo of him? What's wrong with you?!
    No one is searching him out. He regularly insults people in the comments of a certain Facebook page under his personal account. So people naturally click on his profile to see who is hurling invective at them for no reason.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Reviews2D View Post
    I think Booper means the Fwoosh hosted by Robo https://www.youtube.com/c/Thefwoosh
    Ah. For some reason, I was expecting it to be a vintage toy channel, or one that covers modern toys based on vintage toy properties.

I found Michael’s initial video about the Sail Barge petty and annoying. I feel the same about his video about Scott. If he has that much of an issue with a toy or toy line, so much so that he just had to make a video about it, (how many years after the fact) then just simply don’t buy the toy or toy line. It’s not food, heating fuel, shelter, water, or medicine. It isn’t something that one really needs in their lives. I have taken my own advice and stopped watching Retroblasting since his Sail Barge video, with this 1 exception. I will resume not watching his content. It’s that simple.

I loved MotU but never felt that the vintage toy line lived up to the promo art, until the Classics line. Just going by the second hand market prices most collectors seem to agree that Classics is a great toy line. Don’t like the new bios? Don’t read them. I’m a mini comics guy myself and have been enduring canon changes since Filmation. We can make our own little MotU universes be whatever each of us want. It isn’t such an issue to make a hate video. I adore my Classics collection and will applaud anyone who worked on the line. As a kid in 1982, Classics is the toy line that I always wanted MotU to be.

Michael’s channel used to be full of great information about the lines we all grew up with. His video on the USS FLAGG helped me buy one without getting ripped off. He has some very helpful videos on repairing old toys but there is enough hate in the adult world. I don’t collect toys for hate mongering nor need hate videos about toys. No one needs this level of negativity in their life over a child’s toy line, or beloved hobby and this is coming from a New Yorker.
    Last edited by MJOLNIR; September 22, 2021 at 09:28pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo of Eternia View Post
    I just realized... if the two of them were to be merged into one person, we would get...

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/64/44...922283da19.png
    In proofreading my post I realized that myself. How funny, right? It's all so comical in a way, except that it's also kinda sad (to me at least).

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberius704 View Post
    I think this is the most on-target post in this thread. I've watched a lot of RB's videos over the years because there was always a genuine passion for vintage toys with warmth and humor - yes, humor - showing through. Pixel Dan even bumped into Michael in one of his toy hunting videos and gave the RB channel a plug. But I think all the frustrations with modern toy collecting, online conspiracies and who knows what else in Michael's life are taking their toll. For the past few years, the RB videos have been getting darker and more negative, while the fun retrospective videos have stopped. Now this one was just plain going too far. Having watched a lot of the RB videos, I think Michael is a genuinely good guy, but he seems to be going off the deep end.
    Yes.... This sounds like my experiences too. I used to love his channel with all his vintage restorations and vintage stuff. It was great, and it was FUN!!!

But yeah... the last couple years it hasn't been 'fun' anymore. He's always angry about SOMETHING. Usually some real or imagined 'attacks' in the comment sections or emails or something... and I get the feeling like his 'fans' are eating him alive.

Bring back Armless Vader!!! Leave the company conspiracy stuff alone.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by nicholighkun View Post
    I never said he should be blamed, you did. I said it's worth mentioning. The model has been abused like crazy. Scott ran it well, but after him it was used to destroy fans wallets.
    Which Model are we talking about anyway? Online sales? Those have been around for a while now... Subscriptions? After the quick sellouts, I remember the forums here SCREAMING for an 'all in' option... The Grayskull Pre-order? I remember fans screaming for a Grayskull and when we were told there was a minimum amount needed that they wouldn't risk... Fans were screaming for them to just make big items a 'pre-order'... because they'll buy anything and everything MOTU.

So I'm not really even sure what Scott is getting blamed/credited for on MattyCollector. Every aspect of it was pushed by the fans and then implemented.

What gaslighting? King Kahn composed a detailed post, and documented everything with links. I replied with a summary for people who did not want to click every link and read through every thread like I did. Anyone is free to dispute the documented timeline with documentation of their own if they have it.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberius704 View Post
    I think this is the most on-target post in this thread. I've watched a lot of RB's videos over the years because there was always a genuine passion for vintage toys with warmth and humor - yes, humor - showing through. Pixel Dan even bumped into Michael in one of his toy hunting videos and gave the RB channel a plug. But I think all the frustrations with modern toy collecting, online conspiracies and who knows what else in Michael's life are taking their toll. For the past few years, the RB videos have been getting darker and more negative, while the fun retrospective videos have stopped. Now this one was just plain going too far. Having watched a lot of the RB videos, I think Michael is a genuinely good guy, but he seems to be going off the deep end.
    Well put. I completely agree.

What gaslighting? King Kahn composed a detailed post, and documented everything with links. I replied with a summary for people who did not want to click every link and read through every thread like I did. Anyone is free to dispute the documented timeline with documentation of their own if they have it.
    First of all that word is being way overused. Second I’m not sure I can find a post by you that could qualify that word. What I got from your post was if a fan takes a motu character, paints it then claims it’s their idea that doesn’t fly. Few people do I look for posts from, but Adam’s are always worth a read. He doesn’t talk down to people, let’s people know it’s ok to change their mind and encourages people to seek more information. Actually many posters are like that.

I understand everyone is different and reads things different and the written word is really tough for even me to get “intention”. I find a couple posts or PM’s usually get the differences out. One forum I was on a member and I went to private message after what looked like heated words…we were both being sarcastic and both understood that but the other posters did not.

On the subject at hand, I don’t know. This entire thing seems uncomfortable to me. I can’t tell if this is for show and more clicks or what. Im reluctant to post anything else here because I don’t want to see my message on YouTube. Im sure I’m being paranoid but damn the world is a crazy place sometimes. I don’t like the idea that our messages are appearing in these Videos especially private messages. I think until this quiets down, so will I.
    Comedian on the matty forums.

I work in the toy industry.

If Scott wants to be taken seriously and attract any of the major toy brands as clients (which is his main goal), this is not how you do it. It's so damn unprofessional... The only way to handle this is to 100% ignore it. And if you need to address it, handle it like a professional and contact a defamation lawyer.

Who would want to work with someone who engages with internet call-out videos? This is such a bad look for a former brand manager and Mattel employee who wants to be taken seriously. I really assumed he'd know better than to engage with this.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by herbie747 View Post
    I work in the toy industry.

If Scott wants to be taken seriously and attract any of the major toy brands as clients (which is his main goal), this is not how you do it. It's so damn unprofessional... The only way to handle this is to 100% ignore it. And if you need to address it, handle it like a professional and contact a defamation lawyer.

Who would want to work with someone who engages with internet call-out videos? This is such a bad look for a former brand manager and Mattel employee who wants to be taken seriously. I really assumed he'd know better than to engage with this.
    Agreed. What is your perspective on him commenting on, analyzing, criticizing, etc. the current Mattel lines?

As a former employee in a management role, that itself seems unprofessional and a red flag to potential future employers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoffman View Post
    Agreed. What is your perspective on him commenting on, analyzing, criticizing, etc. the current Mattel lines?

As a former employee in a management role, that itself seems unprofessional and a red flag to potential future employers.
    I don't watch any videos he does with criticism of things, so I just skip those. I like the videos he does about MOTU history and canon, or the breakdown of making certain MOTUC figures. Those are great fun.

But he can't have his cake and eat it. He's either a professional who wants to get back into the toy industry working with a major brand, or he's a YouTuber/Unfluencer with 27k subs who fights with other YouTubers. He can't do the latter and be taken seriously as an industry professional. Plus, 27k subs is nothing, so it's not as if he's making a living off monetising his YouTube videos. If he was, then I could understand him doing whatever he wants with his channel since it pays his bills. But 27k subs is a hobby channel.

Everything I upload to YouTube or Instagram, I have to assume every client can see it and will judge me accordingly.

He's acting like I did in my early 20's, when I'd argue with people online.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbot View Post
    Nothing. I'm pretty much just looking for a reason why a guy who talks so tough and with a threatening tone would hide behind a mask when he does so. If someone wants to be internet famous, then let them be internet famous. If you want to call others out by name and tell them you're going to do this or that, have the courage to show your face and speak your own name.

I ended up finding out a LOT about things this guy has been accused of and possibly done. That's mostly because there's a lot of people who do not care for some of the things he does and has done.

Edit: oh, and just for the record, I discovered all this in about 20 minutes using my unique hackerware called Google.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a suspicion, but it would not be polite to share in the thread.
    Completely understand and I'll also refrain.
    Last edited by Dice; September 23, 2021 at 09:46am.
    "A fool always finds a greater fool to admire him."

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by herbie747 View Post
    I don't watch any videos he does with criticism of things, so I just skip those. I like the videos he does about MOTU history and canon, or the breakdown of making certain MOTUC figures. Those are great fun.

But he can't have his cake and eat it. He's either a professional who wants to get back into the toy industry working with a major brand, or he's a YouTuber/Unfluencer with 27k subs who fights with other YouTubers. He can't do the latter and be taken seriously as an industry professional. Plus, 27k subs is nothing, so it's not as if he's making a living off monetising his YouTube videos. If he was, then I could understand him doing whatever he wants with his channel since it pays his bills. But 27k subs is a hobby channel.

Everything I upload to YouTube or Instagram, I have to assume every client can see it and will judge me accordingly.

He's acting like I did in my early 20's, when I'd argue with people online.
    Criticizing may not be a fair word, but definitely making implications about poor performance of lines. I understand he's trying to use his experience to analyze the situation, but it feels very much like something you do if you're no longer interested in being rehired. Who knows, maybe he is done with working directly in the industry.

Thanks for your insights.