Thread: Help Needed to Identify an 80s Role-Play Sword!

Help Needed to Identify an 80s Role-Play Sword!

Hi Everyone! Really hoping someone can help me with this, because I've been looking for it for decades now!

When I was about 5 or 6 (mid-80s), my aunt and uncle went to either France or Spain on holiday and brought me back a child-sized, roleplay-style power sword. One side of it was grey and one side purple (just like the figure accessories) but it was not designed to separate. When I *did* separate it, I basically broke the toy. Haha.

Every time I go looking for role play toys like this online, I only ever find the bright yellow sword, all-grey or all-blue and not the specific one I had. I don't know if this was a European exclusive or even a knock-off, but I loved that thing and would love to find one again after all these years! Anyone got any idea what I'm talking about?
    Will Bell - Part-Time Poster

Bro I literally have this exact sword - I am a huge fan of toy swords from the 80s & 90s, especially He-Man and once I got into eBay around the 2010s I started looking for the more obscure stuff. My searches wouldn't always yield much, but right now, that exact sword (in French!) is split into two and they hang over a closet door in my toy room.

So many toy makers got into Power Swords back then it seems and the Mattel ones go for a pretty penny these days. I also have the pull string yellow and black version with an actual record inside it. Unreal that it still plays!

It bums me out to no end that Mattel has yet to release any kind of role play items for Origins - there is NOTHING like it on the shelves right now. Young boys would probably kill to see some medieval swords and shields back on the shelves. The toy shelves have been neutered of any actual "fun"

Quote Originally Posted by PowerSword83 View Post
    Bro I literally have this exact sword - I am a huge fan of toy swords from the 80s & 90s, especially He-Man and once I got into eBay around the 2010s I started looking for the more obscure stuff. My searches wouldn't always yield much, but right now, that exact sword (in French!) is split into two and they hang over a closet door in my toy room.

So many toy makers got into Power Swords back then it seems and the Mattel ones go for a pretty penny these days. I also have the pull string yellow and black version with an actual record inside it. Unreal that it still plays!

It bums me out to no end that Mattel has yet to release any kind of role play items for Origins - there is NOTHING like it on the shelves right now. Young boys would probably kill to see some medieval swords and shields back on the shelves. The toy shelves have been neutered of any actual "fun"
    Amazing!!!

Do you think you could take a picture and share it? It sounds silly, but even just *seeing* the thing would scratch the nostalgia itch. Haha. Do you know under what name it was marketed? What search terms might help weed out all the other roleplay toys?

Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cringe View Post
    Amazing!!!

Do you think you could take a picture and share it? It sounds silly, but even just *seeing* the thing would scratch the nostalgia itch. Haha. Do you know under what name it was marketed? What search terms might help weed out all the other roleplay toys?

Thanks!!
    I'd love to see them as well!
    "A fool always finds a greater fool to admire him."

Of course man, pictures are EVERYTHING! I am such a sucker for role play items, I have entire folders of pictures dedicated to the stuff I knew about and the rare stuff I didn't just so I had it archived. They always fascinate me and inspire imagination. Here you go my friend:

IMG_8408.jpg

IMG_8409.jpg

IMG_8410.jpg

Sorry I didn't attach these sooner - I totally forgot to subscribe to this thread see if you replied.

The main search was for "Maitres De L'Univers" if I recall. Here are a couple links that resulted in the French role play stuff:

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...MygCegUIARCQAQ

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...MygMegUIARDaAQ
    Last edited by PowerSword83; October 18, 2021 at 05:11pm.

Awesome! Thanks for sharing these!
    "A fool always finds a greater fool to admire him."

Thank you so much for posting these pics!! Amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by PowerSword83 View Post
    Of course man, pictures are EVERYTHING! I am such a sucker for role play items, I have entire folders of pictures dedicated to the stuff I knew about and the rare stuff I didn't just so I had it archived. They always fascinate me and inspire imagination. Here you go my friend:

IMG_8408.jpg

IMG_8409.jpg

IMG_8410.jpg

Sorry I didn't attach these sooner - I totally forgot to subscribe to this thread see if you replied.

The main search was for "Maitres De L'Univers" if I recall. Here are a couple links that resulted in the French role play stuff:

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...MygCegUIARCQAQ

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...MygMegUIARDaAQ

Quote Originally Posted by Cringe View Post
    Thank you so much for posting these pics!! Amazing!
    For sure buddy, I hope this brings back waves of nostalgia and sword-swinging for you!