Thread: Why is Quincey left out of most Dracula adaptations?

Why is Quincey left out of most Dracula adaptations?

He is a pretty important character (even delivering the final blow to Dracula) and I'm kind surprised he get left out of so many versions, especially American made ones (given how he was an american character who was portrayed in a very positive light).

Obviously I mean versions that at least to some degree adapt the novel, but it just seems odd that he gets left out of most of them.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by A Dalek View Post
    He is a pretty important character (even delivering the final blow to Dracula) and I'm kind surprised he get left out of so many versions, especially American made ones (given how he was an american character who was portrayed in a very positive light).

Obviously I mean versions that at least to some degree adapt the novel, but it just seems odd that he gets left out of most of them.
    He's the least important. Lucy has three suitors and Seward is integral, and Holmwood was the one she picked... Quincy is just sort of 'there'. And with Vanhelsing, Harker, Seward and Holmwood that's just plenty of male characters to try and develop in a limited adaption time. Especially when Quincy's main personality trait is 'American'.

Generally it's easier to adapt a story with less characters. Bram Stoker's Dracula (Gary Oldman version) managed it quite well. I wonder if it's laziness, an inability of most filmmakers to manage multiple characters, or budgetary. I suspect a combination of all three.

Incidentally if you haven't read it, I highly recommend Legendary's Dracula Hardcover Adaptation starring Bela Legosi.

It's a direct adaptation of the novel but the artist drew Dracula as Bela Legosi. The artwork is gorgeous.

https://www.amazon.com/Dracula-Rober...3038942&sr=8-1
    Last edited by Thrawn29; September 30, 2021 at 05:57pm.

I'm a pretty big Dracula fan. If you look at my last name it is rather obvious to those who know where it is from. My family is originally from the same town in Transylvania that Dracula was from. Quincey is in the 1992 movie version, Bram Stoker's Dracula, by Francis Ford Coppola. It is by far my favorite movie version and everything I have read most people consider it the best version. It probably depends on what you grew up with though. Almost like which James Bond is your favorite. To me most Darcula and vampire movies are terrible. So it is no surprise they drop characters. Like others said above, movies often combine people into one character or drop them altogether I guess to make things easier. And probably the more bad the movie is the more this will happen.

He's a bit of the odd man out, too. The other characters are all from the area of Whitby, and would not be out of place there. Quincey is a different story. There's nothing really wrong with the character as such. Maybe also he's not as intellectual as some of the others and maybe not as scared of some of the things Old Drac gets up to. He's the tough guy with the big knife, not much is going to scare him. It kind of ruins the suspense a little.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"I saw the Devil today, and he looked a lot like me. I turned away."
    -Five Finger Death Punch, "Wrong Side of Heaven"

The commentaries/interviews on the DVD/Blu-Ray sets answer this as far as Lugosi goes- adapting books at the time wasn't really common. They had to simplify things a lot for run time and characters were merged into one(Van Helsing takes on Quincy's role) to keep it short. As such a lot of subtext was cut, characters were combined into one, etc. It's a practice that stuck- even the long LOTR films cut Tom Bombadil out as he didn't really do anything necessary, along with several scenes that never made it in(not even the extended cut had space for it). Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas, despite being more "true to the source" than many films, also cut out about 70% of what went on in the novel(bearing in mind that, despite claiming to be factual, how much of what was in that book really happened is debatable due to HS Thompson's drug use- coupled with him deliberately falsifying some events to protect certain individuals- and even a lot that made it in was bizarre) and massively changed the ending to keep the film from being too long. Thompson was also slightly critical of some of the elements in the film(Depp throwing money at the dwarf waiter's feet really upset him) even though most of it passed his approval.

It's worth noting that Quincy is "sort of" important to Castlevania as Konami considered the novel to be canon(apparently he was weakened at the time, Quincy Morris is related to the Belmonts, 2 of the games have Quincy's descendants in them). But that's their say, as the Stoker estate does not count Castlevania a part of the novel series whatsoever and Konami has only been able to superficially acknowledge it.
    Last edited by diosoth; October 3, 2021 at 08:57pm.

without them expressly saying we will never know for sure.

Some cases they were just copying what had already been done, while either trying to stay true(er) to the source or venture off.

But likely the issue is

Stereotypes exist and aren't a bad thing, however stereotyping (forcing someone into said stereotype) is bad. In literature movies etc, stereotypes are used to form the foundation of characters. This is more obvious with some characters than others, for many reasons often they are intended to be a contrast to (an)other character(s). When movies are made based off another source that has the ability to delve more into the character things get truncated. Characters are dropped, subplots are dropped, characterization is dropped. The problem with characters like Quincy (the stereotype base is more obvious) when you start dropping off characterization he quickly becomes nothing more than the stereotype.

Also multiple suitor situation, movies almost always take it down to two, even some they start off with more but find someone to make many lose out quicker than the source. Typically ones that are similar or 'forgetful' are dropped first.

I would expect him to return in limited series formatted 'tv' shows, where his character can breath.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by MGurlea View Post
    I'm a pretty big Dracula fan. If you look at my last name it is rather obvious to those who know where it is from. My family is originally from the same town in Transylvania that Dracula was from. Quincey is in the 1992 movie version, Bram Stoker's Dracula, by Francis Ford Coppola. It is by far my favorite movie version and everything I have read most people consider it the best version. It probably depends on what you grew up with though. Almost like which James Bond is your favorite. To me most Darcula and vampire movies are terrible. So it is no surprise they drop characters. Like others said above, movies often combine people into one character or drop them altogether I guess to make things easier. And probably the more bad the movie is the more this will happen.
    I also really like the 1992 Dracula movie, but it is still not a perfect version for me. I didn't like how Dracula was played with a romantic light with Mia.

Anyway, I agree with many people that Quincy Morris is just one-too many characters in a single movie. Maybe someday we will get a true-to-the-book Dracula mini-series. That would be awesome.
    "Everything comes to he who waits."

Adapting Dracula should be easy "in theory" as the novel itself is public domain. HOWEVER... Lugosi is who most people see in the role. His portrayal is the iconic version-despite the fact he didn't care for the role or the typecasting that stunted his career. He only returned to the role one time after, for the Abbot & Costello movie(officially, anyway- he did play vampires in other films). His career was so damaged by it that he infamously died almost broke, no doubt why his estate commands a small fortune for his likeness. Straying from that can alienate part of the audience. It's almost like trying to have a non-Arnie Conan.

Universal is also likely to be a huge hindrance. Much as with the Conan novels/movies, the film studio has enough money and lawyers to throw around to interfere despite having no legal grounds on something based on a public domain work. Hasbro had to go through a Universal license for that new Dracula crossover Transformer, despite having really nothing to do with the film. I'd say they also put an end to Monster High's early idea of the kids being the children of the "famous" monsters.

Even with the novel in public domain, some related elements might be held by the Stoker estate so they'd probably need to sign off on some of it as well.

Miniseries? That's the only way to adapt the full thing. No one wants to sit through a 5+ hour movie, but break it into 1 hour episodes & you can sell it.

Accurate? Just hope the producers don't demand changes, which they often get as it's their money funding the project, and they may not know about or care about the source material.

The entertainment industry is a huge mess to work around more often than not, with a broken copyright system only making it worse.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post
    I also really like the 1992 Dracula movie, but it is still not a perfect version for me. I didn't like how Dracula was played with a romantic light with Mia.

Anyway, I agree with many people that Quincy Morris is just one-too many characters in a single movie. Maybe someday we will get a true-to-the-book Dracula mini-series. That would be awesome.
    I agree. I hate the mina/Dracula 'romance'. Love the atmosphere, the music, the acting... Love the movie. But that one aspect always sticks out like a sore thumb for me. Misses the whole point of Dracula in my opinion.

Intersting history... The first time they really pulled that 'Long lost love' concept with Dracula and Mina was the Dan Curtis prouction back in the 70's. Which he totally plagerized from himself. He brought that over from the Barnabas Collins/reincarnated Josette Storyline from his own Dark Shadows soap opera. It was a personal favorite aspect of the series for him, so he wanted to try it again with Dracula...

In my opinion... does not work there.

As for 'accurate' mini series? I doubt it. We're actually hip deep in the time where people want MORE accurate 'true to the source' adaptions in mini series... and yet with Dracula we keep getting farther and farther from teh source. Netflix/BBC just did a Dracula miniseries and it was so far from source I can't believe it.

I think part of it is the novel doesn't age too well. 'Modern sensibilities' wouldn't accept it as written anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    Adapting Dracula should be easy "in theory" as the novel itself is public domain. HOWEVER... Lugosi is who most people see in the role. His portrayal is the iconic version-despite the fact he didn't care for the role or the typecasting that stunted his career. He only returned to the role one time after, for the Abbot & Costello movie(officially, anyway- he did play vampires in other films). His career was so damaged by it that he infamously died almost broke, no doubt why his estate commands a small fortune for his likeness. Straying from that can alienate part of the audience. It's almost like trying to have a non-Arnie Conan.
    I would say he had a 'complicated' relationship with the role. He didn't like the typecasting for sure. Nobody would... but he loved the character. He was in the broadway play back in 1927 with over 250 performances... and went back to the play in the early 50's. He loved the fact that women swooned at his performance and they were still scared decades later. He created something great and loved it.

He wished he could have created MORE great things... but them's the breaks.

As for his career... he still appeared in a lot of major movies and stuff until his drug habit made him impossible to work with.. and that's another reason died almost broke :'(

Quote Originally Posted by VZX View Post

Sure, nothing is ever going to be perfect. But Quincy is in this one. I just noticed reading opinions over the many years about Dracula films that most everyone seemed to agree the 1992 version is the best and they also seemed to all agree that they did not like the romance part to it. But everything else about the movie people seem to really like. One of the things that I really like about this 1992 movie too that I don't think a lot of people know about is how it was filmed. There is no CGI or animation in the movie and it was entirely filmed old school, with in camera effects, and they even used film techniques that were used during the time the movie was set. They did things like putting the film in a freezer or double exposing it. I think it adds to the horror factor of the movie. Knowing these are all in camera old school effects some of the scenes always makes me wonder how they did it.

What I would really like to see is a Game of Thrones type mini-series about the real life Dracula from the 1400s. Charlie Hunnam wrote a script a long time ago that was going to be some long epic movie about this topic. It did get bought I think by Brad Pitt's production company if I am remembering right? Last I heard they were then switching it from a movie to a TV show or mini-series. That was years ago and never heard anymore about it. I know HBO and some other networks were looking for the next Game of Thrones type show. I am really surprised no one jumped on 1400's Dracula. It really was a game of thrones as people were vying for different thrones with the backing of different empires then betraying each other and switching sides. Dracula even fought against his own brother, who was held hostage since he was a kid by their enemies and turned against them. Dracula even held an Easter celebration dinner where after the main course was served and everyone was expecting desert next but got death instead. Wallachia and Transylvania were caught in between massive empires. I always thought the real life Dracula story would make a better Game of Thrones type story than Game of Thrones.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by MGurlea View Post
    Sure, nothing is ever going to be perfect. But Quincy is in this one. I just noticed reading opinions over the many years about Dracula films that most everyone seemed to agree the 1992 version is the best and they also seemed to all agree that they did not like the romance part to it. But everything else about the movie people seem to really like. One of the things that I really like about this 1992 movie too that I don't think a lot of people know about is how it was filmed. There is no CGI or animation in the movie and it was entirely filmed old school, with in camera effects, and they even used film techniques that were used during the time the movie was set. They did things like putting the film in a freezer or double exposing it. I think it adds to the horror factor of the movie. Knowing these are all in camera old school effects some of the scenes always makes me wonder how they did it.

What I would really like to see is a Game of Thrones type mini-series about the real life Dracula from the 1400s. Charlie Hunnam wrote a script a long time ago that was going to be some long epic movie about this topic. It did get bought I think by Brad Pitt's production company if I am remembering right? Last I heard they were then switching it from a movie to a TV show or mini-series. That was years ago and never heard anymore about it. I know HBO and some other networks were looking for the next Game of Thrones type show. I am really surprised no one jumped on 1400's Dracula. It really was a game of thrones as people were vying for different thrones with the backing of different empires then betraying each other and switching sides. Dracula even fought against his own brother, who was held hostage since he was a kid by their enemies and turned against them. Dracula even held an Easter celebration dinner where after the main course was served and everyone was expecting desert next but got death instead. Wallachia and Transylvania were caught in between massive empires. I always thought the real life Dracula story would make a better Game of Thrones type story than Game of Thrones.
    They did make "Dark Prince: the true story of Dracula' which did hit most of what you're talking about. It was portrayed as being biographical about the real Dracula in the 1400's and how he grew up and his wars withthe turks.

Then at the very end they throw a little ambiguity about how he MAY have become a vampire... but if you skip the last 5 minutes it's pretty much a Vlad biopic.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    They did make "Dark Prince: the true story of Dracula' which did hit most of what you're talking about. It was portrayed as being biographical about the real Dracula in the 1400's and how he grew up and his wars withthe turks.

Then at the very end they throw a little ambiguity about how he MAY have become a vampire... but if you skip the last 5 minutes it's pretty much a Vlad biopic.
    Yes, I saw that movie when it came out. It was a made for TV movie though that came out years ago. HBO doing a series today could be pretty epic.