Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Halloween movie series

Heroic Warrior

The Halloween movie series

I am rewatching the Halloween films and it’s struck me how many timelines there are.
    You’ve got Halloween 1,2,4,5,6
    Then when h20 came out they ignore 4,5,6 making the new timeline 1,2,7,8
    If you don’t ignore them and assume that Laurie just doesn’t talk about her daughter jamie you’ve got 1,2,4,5,6,7,8
    When the new movie came out that ignored 2-8 so the new timeline is 1, Halloween, kills, ends
    And not forgetting that you have Halloween 3 where Halloween 1,2 are just fictional movies

Are there any other series of films like this?

Heroic Warrior
    well there's Psycho i guess if youre talking about the proper timeline stuff

Psycho IV while kind of crappy anyway its both a prequel and a sequel so you decide where it fits in the movie series

Even with Hellraiser. Beginning of Hellraiser Bloodline has a good origin flashback segment then the rest of the movie take place after Hellraiser III and then it jumps into the future. Then there's Hellraiser Hellseeker and Hellraiser Inferno.

also Leprechaun has a decent reboot sequel which came out for DVD and was on Sy Fy Channel like 2 or 3 years ago

Quote Originally Posted by dan1980 View Post
    I am rewatching the Halloween films and it’s struck me how many timelines there are.
    If you don’t ignore them and assume that Laurie just doesn’t talk about her daughter jamie you’ve got 1,2,4,5,6,7,8
    When the new movie came out that ignored 2-8 so the new timeline is 1, Halloween, kills, ends
    And not forgetting that you have Halloween 3 where Halloween 1,2 are just fictional movies

Then there are the 2 Rob Zombie flicks as well that are totally not connected to the rest.

I do hate how the new movies ignore ALLLLL the other movies AND called itself just Halloween as that is confusing at least call it Halloween Returns or something.
    cogito ergo doleo

About Halloween 3, Carpenter and Hill dislike writing Halloween 2 and they did it so they can kill off Michael Myers even both his eyes shot out and have him with Loomis burn to death! they wanted Michael's story over. They had a concept for the franchise to be a Are you Afraid of the Dark (anyone remember that show?), Twilight Zone, Tales from the Crypt and Night Gallery with each sequel being a standalone story with fresh villains and new stories.
    "You killed Captain Clown, YOU KILLED CAPTAIN CLOWN"-Joker.

Heroic Warrior

Argument could be made for the Batman series. Batman forever kept the same Alfred and Gordon, but changed everything else. Definitley some debate about 'timelines' with that. Same with the Sony Spider-man franchise rebooting and restarting all their own continuity every 5 years...

Honestly with the collapse of the DCEU, nobody knows what is or isn't continuity anymore.

The more a franchise embraces multivereses, the more you'll see this kind of thing happening.

Like you stated there are 4 Halloween Timelines.

Halloween 1978, 2, 4, 5, 6.

Halloween 1978, 7, 8.

Rob Zombie's Halloween, H2.

Halloween 1978, 2018, Halloween Kills, Halloween Ends.

-------

Nightmare on Elm Street has a bit of a weird turn with the last 2 sequels.

Wes Craven's New Nightmare is a movie where Freddy exists but the Nightmare movies are actually just movies in its universe.

Then Freddy vs Jason is a canon sequel to Freddy's Dead (Part 6) and Jason Goes to Hell technically making it a bridge for 2 separate series totaling 17 movies.

Nightmare on Elm Street 1-7

Nightmare on Elm Street 1-6, FvJ

Nightmare on Elm Street 1-6, Friday the 13th 1-8, JGTH, FVJ, Jason X (17 total movies).

2, 4, 5, 6, H20, and Resurrection are now considered the “What If?” timeline to me.

While,

Halloween (1978), Halloween (2018) or as I call it “H40”, Halloween Kills, and Halloween Ends will be the canon timeline.

3 is another story entirely, I get they were going for an anthology series, which probably seemed like a great idea at the time, but Michael Myers won out in the end. It pretty much stands on its own and probably would’ve done a lot better if it wasn’t called Halloween, but Season of the Witch with “A Halloween Anthology series” in text above or below it to avoid any confusion for people thinking that it’s about Michael Myers when it’s not.
    I am not nice, I am not kind, and I am not wonderful.

Heroic Warrior King Daddy Bo-Hog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeledude View Post
    2, 4, 5, 6, H20, and Resurrection are now considered the “What If?” timeline to me.

While,

Halloween (1978), Halloween (2018) or as I call it “H40”, Halloween Kills, and Halloween Ends will be the canon timeline.

3 is another story entirely, I get they were going for an anthology series, which probably seemed like a great idea at the time, but Michael Myers won out in the end. It pretty much stands on its own and probably would’ve done a lot better if it wasn’t called Halloween, but Season of the Witch with “A Halloween Anthology series” in text above or below it to avoid any confusion for people thinking that it’s about Michael Myers when it’s not.
    I never liked slasher movies much. Not enough depth. But I loved Halloween 3.

The First Avenger
    Halloween Kills BETTER be the end...The last film was the best way to send Michael gone for good..

At least the other slashers got a believable type end why would ANYONE save him let along the police and fire department it doesn't make ANY sense...the only thing cool I can see about it all the kids that survived the Original Halloween are back as adults to team up and FINALLY get rid of Michael but knowing Blumhouse it will be ANOTHER sequel to this one.....

Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    Halloween Kills BETTER be the end...The last film was the best way to send Michael gone for good..

At least the other slashers got a believable type end why would ANYONE save him let along the police and fire department it doesn't make ANY sense...the only thing cool I can see about it all the kids that survived the Original Halloween are back as adults to team up and FINALLY get rid of Michael but knowing Blumhouse it will be ANOTHER sequel to this one.....
    They announced 2 years ago it was a Trilogy - Halloween (2018), Halloween Kills, Halloween Ends.

The First Avenger
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn29 View Post
    They announced 2 years ago it was a Trilogy - Halloween (2018), Halloween Kills, Halloween Ends.
    Oh goody another one......

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalodon View Post
    Oh goody another one......
    At least with it being a planned trilogy with ends in the final film's title, that might hopefully be the end.

Honestly, I hope we get more stuff like Halloween 3. I love horror anthologies and the idea of a bunch of horror anthologies all taking place on Halloween is just really cool to me. It feels like something that would make a good like streaming series.

Heroic Warrior
    I can't think of anything more pointless than announcing a horror 'trilogy'.

Rule #1. Every movie should 'feel' like the end. The monster dies, the hero survives... 'happy' ending?

Rule #2. The franchise never REALLY ends. The monster will always find SOME way to show up again.

Announcing that there is a third one... makes part 2 completely worthless. At best it will be cliffhanger, at worst just killing time to get to the final showdown. Either way nothing that happens is going to matter in the grand scheme.

I have a feeling that they will kill off Jamie Lee Curtis in this one and have her granddaughter take over for part 3... but honestly there's no excitement for that either. He's killed Laurie Strahd at least 2 maybe 3 times now?

Also the retcons they did to their backstory makes the whole 'rivalry' empty.

Michael doesn't care about Laurie at all. He'll kill anyone and everyone. Crazy shrink dude had to literally knock him out, and drag him to Lauries backyard before he set his sights on her again... after killing everyone between him and her.

It's like they want all the emotional baggage of having them be related and archenemies... while also not respecting any of the films that built up that backstory.
    Last edited by phantom1592; October 3, 2021 at 02:44pm.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    He's killed Laurie Strahd at least 2 maybe 3 times now?
    1 time.

Laurie dies in Rob Zombie's H2, but Michael doesn't do it.

For some reason it's allways Resurrection that seems to air on British tv around Halloween time.

Strange choice to say the least.

Heroic Warrior
    I’d agree the retcon has destroyed the rivalry between Jamie and Michael. Now she’s just a woman who was attacked for less than 15min and seeing the dead bodies of her friends. Hardly a reason for someone to go completely nuts and be worried that this person is going to return. Where when she was his sister there was a reason as mysterious as it was for Michael to stalk her. The original two Halloween movies will always remain firm favourites of my horror collection

I’d agree the retcon has destroyed the rivalry between Jamie and Michael.
    A couple of interesting facts.

1. Laurie Strode vs Michael Myers is one of the most prolific and longest running feuds in cinema. It spans 43 years and 8 movies; 9 if Laurie survives Halloween kills.
    6 of the 8 Laurie has been played by the original actress.
    2 different timelines.

Batman and the Joker only have 3 live action encounters on film, 4 if you count Suicide Squad (?)

Godzilla vs King Ghidorah have 8 or 9 encounters as well.

2. We have 2 distinct versions of Curtis' Laurie. One a alcoholic neurotic mess, the other a crazy survivorlist.

The First Avenger
    I can't think of anything more pointless than announcing a horror 'trilogy'.

Rule #1. Every movie should 'feel' like the end. The monster dies, the hero survives... 'happy' ending?

Rule #2. The franchise never REALLY ends. The monster will always find SOME way to show up again.

Announcing that there is a third one... makes part 2 completely worthless. At best it will be cliffhanger, at worst just killing time to get to the final showdown. Either way nothing that happens is going to matter in the grand scheme.

I have a feeling that they will kill off Jamie Lee Curtis in this one and have her granddaughter take over for part 3... but honestly there's no excitement for that either. He's killed Laurie Strahd at least 2 maybe 3 times now?

Also the retcons they did to their backstory makes the whole 'rivalry' empty.

Michael doesn't care about Laurie at all. He'll kill anyone and everyone. Crazy shrink dude had to literally knock him out, and drag him to Lauries backyard before he set his sights on her again... after killing everyone between him and her.

It's like they want all the emotional baggage of having them be related and archenemies... while also not respecting any of the films that built up that backstory.
    Yes having here be his sister made more sense than some "random" person you keeping trying to go after again,again and again?

The whole ORIGINAL idea he killed his sister so that ground work was laid YEARS ago so that at least makes sense/story to change him and make him come after here again over what 8-10 films and so many retcons?? This timeline has changed so much it doesn't really follow any line that makes sense so whatever....

Can anyone tell me why the supernatural explanation from 6 for Michael's immortality was so disliked? He was shot, stabbed, etc multiple times. He didn't survive that because he was determined. I can but it to a degree in 1-2 by him just not feeling pain, since he was technically "killed" in 2 as they had no plans to bring him back. 4 and on though, I don't see any other explanation. No one minded it for Jason after he was resurrected as a zombie.

Argument could be made for the Batman series. Batman forever kept the same Alfred and Gordon, but changed everything else. Definitley some debate about 'timelines' with that.
    DC's "Batman 89" comic series has officially shoved the Schumaker films into a separate canon, as they're continuing on from Batman Returns with a lot of ideas that has been floating around. The likeness of Billie Dee Williams is used for Harvey Dent, he will become Two-Face later. Time will tell if Joker is revived by lazarus pit.

Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    Can anyone tell me why the supernatural explanation from 6 for Michael's immortality was so disliked?
    Sure. Michael has always been supernatural. That was not why that movie was disliked. H6 The Curse of Michael Myers was awful in multiple ways. The exploding head kill, recasting Danielle Harris, etc.

The Cult of Thorn specifically is what you are referring to. Michael being reduced to an instrument of a cult diminishes his status. It also gives an "out" for Michael's evil. That is why long time Halloween fans do not like the Cult of Thorn.
    It has nothing to do with being supernatural.

The writer of Halloween 4 Alan B McElroy gave an interview to Fangoria where he expressed similar sentiments.

Per John Carpenter Michael was never meant to have a reason or cause for the way he is. He is just evil. That's it.

No one minded it for Jason after he was resurrected as a zombie.
    Friday the 13th and Jason Voorhees is a different beast altogether.

The First Avenger
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn29 View Post
    Friday the 13th and Jason Voorhees is a different beast altogether.
    True and at least there was a story he was human until part 6 where he became supernatural...The director Tom McLoughlin made a cool twist by bringing him back like a "Super Zombie" because in many interviews he loved the Universal monsters growing up and he got to add elements of that into this film so Jason is more like Frankenstein in a cool way....

The supernatural aspects of Myer's persona were touched on in 1979, from the novelization of the original film. I personally haven't read it, but in a sense the groundwork was laid years before the infamous 6th film.

Apparently Jason Blum wants to do more 'Halloween' films with Michael Myers after the trilogy concludes. Yaaaaaaayyyyyy.........

I can see it now........as unstoppable as Michael Myers has apparently been, Haddonfield now has to deal with more than 1 Michael Myers as 3 incarnations from the various timelines (Original/Original +H20 & Resurrection/Original & 40 years later) are unleashed to create mass havoc in a Multiverse film (as Multiverses are all the rage these days). And why stop there? With three Mikeys comes three Laurie Strodes!! John will also meet his sister from another mother from another universe he never even knew he had! Even the bumbling cops from the 5th film with their accompanying bumbling clown music make a cameo. During the climax of the trailer, all 3 face off in Myer's childhood home, which is ablaze. As they're about to face off, a larger figure bursts through a wall, embers fluttering about the air. The 3 Michaels look in befuddled amazement, heads tilted, as the camera pans in on Michael Myers from the remake! Dun dun duuuuuuunnn!!

(Yes, I'm totally kidding if it wasn't obvious).

Lol .... Lol
    "I wouldn't be surprised if this movie has Adam as a skinny nerd from Earth battling another skinny nerd-hacker from Earth that used an alias of Keldor. They then enter Tron-style to a cyber world called Eternia, where they control muscle-bound avatars to battle (called He-Man and Skeletor). And these same avatars come to life and continue to battle in present-day Earth." - VZX

Nightmare On Elm Street was a franchise that wore itself out fast. Every movie was the same plot- Freddy's killing kids in their dreams, the "hero" figures some "definitely final" way to beat Freddy, it seems to work, but it was all a ruse. Then at some point they started portraying Freddy as an anti-hero in some media, having him host TV shows, selling merchandise... of what was supposed to be a remorseless child killer. They watered him down in the external media while the films got stale. The only innovation the reboot brought was the idea that Freddy wasn't a child killer and was targeted by the vigilantes unjustly, making it a revenge ploy instead of just murder. New Nightmare was somewhat interesting, having a spirit target the film's actors and crew. Freddy VS Jason was perhaps demanded but didn't really break the formula as it was now just another slasher killer taking the spot of the usual hero who "beats" Freddy (but not really).

I wish I could find the parody clip where Freddy's become such a joke he shows up in the "victim"'s dream shaking maracas because he's become so worn out and ineffective as a horror icon.

The gag got repetitive fast, the sequels stretched it too far, the idea of Freddy being beaten but not really was used too much. He's the dream world version of Superman without any weaknesses so why fight him?

Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    Can anyone tell me why the supernatural explanation from 6 for Michael's immortality was so disliked? He was shot, stabbed, etc multiple times. He didn't survive that because he was determined.
    Originally the explanation for Michael's durability came down to the fact that he was "the boogeyman", whatever that means. He was a force of nature. No one knew why he did what he did or how he didn't get hurt doing it. He just did. It was mysterious. Explaining it in any way diminished the character in many people's opinions.
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"I saw the Devil today, and he looked a lot like me. I turned away."
    -Five Finger Death Punch, "Wrong Side of Heaven"