Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Formo Toys Legends of Dragonore

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    Ermm... there's a couple of shades of Skeletor to be found there, beyond the obvious.
    But what skeletor looks like THAT? Mattel can't go around and say every skeleton headed figure is Skeletor. However, the Formo stuff...

Last edited by UsernameMDM; January 28, 2022 at 09:27pm.

Evil Master of Propane Ghost of Vapor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by UsernameMDM View Post
    But what skeletor looks like THAT? Mattel can't go around and say every skeleton headed figure is Skeletor. However, the Formo stuff...
    As I said, their relationship makes it unlikely they'd care anyway. But... the design doesn't have to be exact to get hit with a lawsuit. If Mattel could prove that a figure resembled one of their own enough for a judge/jury to see the resemblance pretty easily, that's all it would take.
    Novel Arriving Fall 2022!: Visit www.orderofcosmicchampions.com for info on the novel, figures, soundtrack, mini-comic, and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Vapor View Post
    As I said, their relationship makes it unlikely they'd care anyway. But... the design doesn't have to be exact to get hit with a lawsuit. If Mattel could prove that a figure resembled one of their own enough for a judge/jury to see the resemblance pretty easily, that's all it would take.
    If you hold the Skeletor and Super7 fig side-by-side, you could easily point out the difference(s). Not so much with at least those 2 Formo designs and art owned by Mattel.

Plus Super7 probably asked Mattel's permission if they thought it looked too much like Skeletor. Formo, by their own admission, did not.

Just for the records, the second drawing is a sketch owned by Rebecca Taylor. We got permission to use it from its rightful owner, Mr. Mark Taylor.

- - - Updated - - -

Plus Super7 probably asked Mattel's permission if they thought it looked too much like Skeletor. Formo, by their own admission, did not.
    This is not related to our case, but to shed some light on the inner working of the toy industry.
    Companies don't ask permission to one another. They get licenses and pay for them. If there is a need for that. You can license a brand. You can't license something that may or may not remotely resemble a single character from another IP. You either don't do it or take your risk trying to not infringe on somebody else copyright.
    [COLOR="Red"][B]Support The Power and The Honor Foundation.

Court Magician
    I do not know anything, but I feel like this only became an issue to the other party because of Mr. Taylor's recent passing.
    Even Mattel made some significant changes to the recent Masterverse Viking He-man figure.
    It's a shame either way. I hope you guys succeed and don't have to change too much.

Cases like this will usually depend on a couple of questions:

1) Can this new property be legitimately confused with the older property?
    2) Does letting this new property continue diminish the value of the older property?
    3) Does letting this new property continue 'loosen' our claim on the property? That is, if we let something like this go unchallenged, are we setting a bad precedent for future copyright protection?

This is by no means definitive, but just comes from courses I took helping a student prepare for his Masters of Business Administration.
    Live in the Connecticut/SW Massachusetts area? Need a tutor for you or your kids? PM me!

The name is Bond.... James Bond.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Emiliano View Post
    Just for the records, the second drawing is a sketch owned by Rebecca Taylor. We got permission to use it from its rightful owner, Mr. Mark Taylor.
    Yeah but if he drew it while he was a Mattel employee, wouldnt the image still be Mattel property, even if it was an unused concept? She would only own the physical image and possibly be allowed to use it for prints, sketchbooks,etc.

I'm still on board, but it seems like this could take some time.

What does Mattel have that looks like that?
    Ha ha, yeah, Mattel doesn't have any iconic characters that look like that.

- - - Updated - - -

https://battleramblog.com/wp-content...uerrero-ph.jpg
    https://battleramblog.com/wp-content.../green-guy.jpg
    Skull + blue skin + purple harness with circle in center and 4 bones in a cross is pretty skeletor ish. More so than the formo ones was one of my points.

Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    Ha ha, yeah, Mattel doesn't have any iconic characters that look like that.

Skull + blue skin + purple harness with circle in center and 4 bones in a cross is pretty skeletor ish. More so than the formo ones was one of my points.
    It's about the differences, not the similarities.

Vs.

Any update on this?
    cogito ergo doleo

We are still alive, and trying to find a path out of the issues. We are doing everything we can to address every concern and make our products even better. I know it isn't much of an update, and I apologize, but as you guys can understand, that's all I can say right now. But I think you all love the new figures we're creating

We are still alive, and trying to find a path out of the issues. We are doing everything we can to address every concern and make our products even better. I know it isn't much of an update, and I apologize, but as you guys can understand, that's all I can say right now. But I think you all love the new figures we're creating
    Hopefully, you don't have to go back to the drawing board.
    We need the POWER of the GOOD and the WAY of the MAGIC !!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** Uber NEW ADVENTURES Fan!!!**

>>Glad supporter of the Netflix Era<<

Heroic Warrior
    are they new characters?

Court Magician
    Getting a bit worried about this project. The official Formo website no longer lists Lords of Power or has a link to photo's of the figures.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletron2021 View Post
    Getting a bit worried about this project. The official Formo website no longer lists Lords of Power or has a link to photo's of the figures.
    Clearly the ban hammer came down. Many fans predicted this development would occur ages ago...except seemingly Formo themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Skeletron2021 View Post
    We're preparing some changes and updating the design of certain figures, we didn't want to keep advertising outdated look of things. We're pretty close to reveal the new stuff, we need just a little more time

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    Clearly the ban hammer came down. Many fans predicted this development would occur ages ago...except seemingly Formo themselves.
    Not so fast

So completely new character designs?

So completely new character designs?
    Some have some drastic change, some more subtle, but we're confident they are coming out pretty awesome!

Some have some drastic change, some more subtle, but we're confident they are coming out pretty awesome!
    Interesting...

Same number of characters + the armor?

Hmmm.....

Interesting...

I'm guessing Barbaro required a complete re-work.

Interesting...

Yes

Heroic Warrior
    so when will we get a peak at these new designs?

Quote Originally Posted by bigfootRULES View Post
    so when will we get a peak at these new designs?
    I hope this upcoming week. Everything is ready