Page 1 of 50 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Origins: General News

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Heroic Warrior

Origins: General News

I noticed this board is missing a general discussion thread for Origins, so here we go.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar

Good idea

So it looks like the forthcoming waves are:-

Mini Comic Trap Jaw
    Anti Eternia He-Man
    Clawful
    Horde Trooper

Whiplash
    King Randor
    Mantenna
    200X Skeletor (I hope this is Disco Skeletor)
    MOTU Origins Wishlist: Oo-Larr, Rattlor, Hawke, Slamurai, Lodar, Snake Face, Geldor, Plasmar, Lord Gr'Asp, Strobo, Extendar, Jitsu, Tung Lashor

Heroic Warrior
    That wave really gets me excited! Whiplash was a childhood favorite, and I never had a Randor. Clawful is a must have of course, and Mantenna..well, Mantenna I could live without. But nice to see they are doing more Horde characters. Makes me hopeful for a Leech!

Heroic Warrior
    As a kid in the 1980s I had Whiplash, Clawful, and Mantenna. I can't wait to get all 3. I never owned the Horde Troopers or King Randor as a kid but I will add them to my Origins collection. My current plan is to buy 6 retail Horde Troopers to go along with the 2 colored ones in the Power Con exclusives 4-pack.

I'm looking forward to Whiplash and King Randor a lot, hopefully they don't mess with their designs too much.

Soooooo excited for Whiplash. Hope his tail turns out okay.

https://toynewsi.com/241-40419

Some new images of Clawful, Anti-Eternia He-Man and as I posted before the Horde Trooper.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 11/25/2022

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty.81 View Post
    https://toynewsi.com/241-40419

Some new images of Clawful, Anti-Eternia He-Man and as I posted before the Horde Trooper.

Nice - Horde Trooper has a metallic sheen as opposed to the flat grey of the vintage.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Durendal View Post
    Nice - Horde Trooper has a metallic sheen as opposed to the flat grey of the vintage.
    I do like the metallic look, it's something different.

BTW I wonder when Grizzlor will be released at retail also an easy to do figure like Moss Man.
    MOTU Origins Wishlist: Oo-Larr, Rattlor, Hawke, Slamurai, Lodar, Snake Face, Geldor, Plasmar, Lord Gr'Asp, Strobo, Extendar, Jitsu, Tung Lashor

Heroic Warrior
    I do have to say, that if Mantenna has the fused-together legs like the original figure, I'll be very disappointed. I mean, yes, it would be a homage to the original figure, but not a very welcome one, IMO. We know they can do better nowadays. Pretty surprised he wasn't a Deluxe release.

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    I do have to say, that if Mantenna has the fused-together legs like the original figure, I'll be very disappointed. I mean, yes, it would be a homage to the original figure, but not a very welcome one, IMO. We know they can do better nowadays. Pretty surprised he wasn't a Deluxe release.
    Yeah, I had the vintage as a kid and he always seemed a bit goofy. He was so different from the other figures, but not in a good way. I like the character and feel a bit of nostalgia for him, the action feature was always fun, but the new figure deserves some improvements.

Quote Originally Posted by Krueger View Post
    That would be a truly bizarre step backwards, especially since we got such amazing versions of Mantenna in Classics and Club Grayskull. I really hope they don't just slavishly copy the vintage figure for Origins for the sake of nostalgia.

If Origins being low in stock were unique I would be concerned, but I've been looking at the same three Kingdom Transformers for months at my local Target and nearby Walmarts aren't do any better with most toy lines. It's not MOTU or Mattel failing it's the ****ed up supply chain. Partly held up because California won't allow trucks older that 2011 to work in the state. Among other things.

But like said above let's focus on the toys.

My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 11/25/2022

The first review of the Power Con Horde set is up...

https://youtu.be/ZQVwaU9fKYA

My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 11/25/2022

I have to wonder if they really did discontinue making them or are they reworking them? Merman's sword could use a smaller handle, Webstor's back pack could be improved and... well, I'm not sure about the other two.
    I think this might be the answer. I seem to remember some people saying their Buzzsaw Hordaks exploded upon buzzsaw launch, so maybe their messing with his engineering.

This is probably wishful thinking, but maybe since Beastman and Merman are core characters, weíll get a sort of refresher wave ready with those two, Man-at-Arm, and Teela, and they donít want too many Beast and Mermen floating around

Quote Originally Posted by AnimalGrandpa View Post
    I think this might be the answer. I seem to remember some people saying their Buzzsaw Hordaks exploded upon buzzsaw launch, so maybe their messing with his engineering.

This is probably wishful thinking, but maybe since Beastman and Merman are core characters, weíll get a sort of refresher wave ready with those two, Man-at-Arm, and Teela, and they donít want too many Beast and Mermen floating around
    A refresh wave is a good idea. All of waves 2, 3 and 4 need to get back out there. But I suspect they'll change them up a bit.

My photocomic fanfic
    Last update 11/25/2022

A refresh wave is a good idea. All of waves 2, 3 and 4 need to get back out there. But I suspect they'll change them up a bit.

They should do a Blonde Teela, Cardback Man-At-Arms, and a cardback Beast Man as a way to refresh those characters. I'd love cardback Mer-Man too, but to most people LOP Mer-Man is probably "close enough"

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by AnimalGrandpa View Post

My buzz saw Hordak bought new at Target literally exploded on first use. When I lightly pushed down on the cape to engage the action feature for the first time - the chest split open in half and the arms fell out causing little white pieces to fell out causing the head not to be able to hold a pose. I couldnít put the several small white clips back inside the chest area so the entire upper half of the figure was a floppy mess. I returned and got a new one with no issues.

I'd say refreshes are not only possible but likely with updated accessories/color changes/new head sculpts.

With the 200x Skeletor that's rumored to be coming and 200x Evil-Lyn, it's possible we'll get Origins versions of Beast Man, Mer-Man, & Man-At-Arms in 200x colors with some additional armor pieces.

Also Anti-Eternia Man-At-Arms was one of the figures up for the Fan Choice that Mini-Comics Trap Jaw won.

I wouldn't argue with a Teela more in line with the original LoP/early mini-comic designs -- where the armor was removable rather than sculpted.

A more generic female buck seems like it would be beneficial to the line long-term and would give them more options since they'd really only need armor and head sculpts to achieve most of the female characters from the mini-comics, Filmation, and Princess of Power.

Heroic Warrior
    If they cancelled Webstor just for retooling/re-engineering, can they please release him with 2 gripping hands like the production pics promised?
    I expected him to be able to hold both his weapons, and getting him with an open left hand was a big disappointment

Heroic Warrior

Origins: General News

So all these ďcancellationsĒ I wonder how it seems only MOTU fans donít seem to understand that is how the toy industry works? Make so many of the wave and then start the next one. They donít usually go back and redo an already released wave. Mattel went above and beyond with that because of the distribution issues on 1-4. This is exactly how Transformers, Marvel Legends, GI Joe Classified and every other toyline works. Itís how they keep new product coming. Itís not crazy or unusual. Itís just how it works. Itís also not ďcancellingĒ the wave or a sign of poor sales. If wave 6 just came out and has sold through already that means itís a huge success because it outsold expected order numbers. There are probably some still out there in retailer distribution centers about to hit stores for the holidays but online retailers wonít be able to get more in. If demand is there they may do reissues, who knows. Itís rare. Hasbro will on some of their bigger Transformers like they did with Omega Supreme and Scorponok recently as well as Devestator. If something is reissued by Hasbro they do repacks of certain characters with the packaging refreshes. The sky isnít falling. While it sucks, itís actually evidence that Nietlich Doesnít know what heís talking about but Iím sure his He-anon friends will spin it to dying earth proportions. Donít believe me? Look at every other toyline with a quarterly release schedule and how often they reissue. Itís rare to see the same figures on a shelf for more than three months, let alone a wave.

The stores canít support multiple waves of a toy line at one time and they wonít support a toyline that doesnít have a constant refresh of new product coming in quarterly. Theyíll support an evergreen collection, like He-man and Skeletor plus Battle Cat and Panthor, but rarely beyond something like that with the two figures and ďvehiclesĒ. New product. All the time or you die.

Also some great explantations through here on other reasons for just the two in wave 6. QC was all over the place on those two. Fixing that could be a reason or safety issues as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Parzival; November 7, 2021 at 02:28am.

Those are all fair points. I think that for some of us it just seems like the figures (or waves) are not staying around very long or getting refreshed at the same rate. Whether that's a result of selling through quickly or slow supply (both understandable) we don't get much of a chance to pick them up. I wasn't right on top of the line at first, so I've still got some wave 1/2 figures who I'll have to pick up, some at a hefty premium (why always Tri-Klops?). Others are still plentiful here, like the Prince Adam, or all the Clamp Champ and Ram Man figures you could want. They're not really getting clearanced out, and the few figures that come in new seem to get cleared out rapidly leaving the same old bunch.

If they're pulling them to improve QC that would be great. I understand that they always need to be moving new product and welcome that too. I'd just like more folks to get the chance of getting the figures. That's all. I'm not afraid to preorder, buy from Amazon, or trade amongst others, but not everyone is willing to go to those steps. Maybe I've just been spoiled by having at least two periods in my life where I could walk in and buy MOTU figures off the shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by Parzival View Post
    So all these ďcancellationsĒ I wonder how it seems only MOTU fans donít seem to understand that is how the toy industry works? Make so many of the wave and then start the next one. They donít usually go back and redo an already released wave. Mattel went above and beyond with that because of the distribution issues on 1-4. This is exactly how Transformers, Marvel Legends, GI Joe Classified and every other toyline works. Itís how they keep new product coming. Itís not crazy or unusual. Itís just how it works. Itís also not ďcancellingĒ the wave or a sign of poor sales. If wave 6 just came out and has sold through already that means itís a huge success because it outsold expected order numbers. There are probably some still out there in retailer distribution centers about to hit stores for the holidays but online retailers wonít be able to get more in. If demand is there they may do reissues, who knows. Itís rare. Hasbro will on some of their bigger Transformers like they did with Omega Supreme and Scorponok recently as well as Devestator. If something is reissued by Hasbro they do repacks of certain characters with the packaging refreshes. The sky isnít falling. While it sucks, itís actually evidence that Nietlich Doesnít know what heís talking about but Iím sure his He-anon friends will spin it to dying earth proportions. Donít believe me? Look at every other toyline with a quarterly release schedule and how often they reissue. Itís rare to see the same figures on a shelf for more than three months, let alone a wave.

The stores canít support multiple waves of a toy line at one time and they wonít support a toyline that doesnít have a constant refresh of new product coming in quarterly. Theyíll support an evergreen collection, like He-man and Skeletor plus Battle Cat and Panthor, but rarely beyond something like that with the two figures and ďvehiclesĒ. New product. All the time or you die.

Also some great explantations through here on other reasons for just the two in wave 6. QC was all over the place on those two. Fixing that could be a reason or safety issues as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As a Star Wars collector. This is about right. A wave sells out quick and hasbro says awesome news! Send the next wave. There is the fan channel route that hasbro takes for reissues. The archives line is a nice way way for retail to get older figures updated as well. It took hasbro almost a decade to reissue vintage collection figures. Origins is only a year or 2 old.

My targets are stocking origins really well, but the non he-man and skeletor figures sell right out. My Walmartís seem to not be stocking as much origins, instead, they are in favor the new CGI series figures. Iím in shock of how fast those are flying off of the shelves. I guess we will find out around toyfair where everything is going.
    Comedian on the matty forums.

Mattel needs to seriously rethink this evergreen He-Man and Skeletor model. I know they have their reasons for why they think it's important, but they are wrong. They have been wrong on this issue forever. You don't see Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker every time you go to the Black Series pegs. I do generally see an Optimus Prime or Megatron every time, but it's not always the same ones, and not for every line.

I just think they are shooting themselves, and us, in the foot with their strategy here.

I had stopped going out looking for origins because I never find anything. I started back up and it's the same old same old. He-Man, Skeletor, and the Target Exclusives.

Heroic Warrior
    My local Walmarts have all clearanced He-Man and Skeletor. But they have dedicated pegs for BAHM and BAS now, so maybe those are replacing them? Idk, it's odd.